• Published 17th Sep 2015
  • 3,315 Views, 38 Comments

A Man and an Army - Saffron



A search for a mysterious energy reading leads a Commander to Equestria

  • ...
22
 38
 3,315

Pending Execution

The convoy continued on towards the ship with no further delay.

“Jane how long until we arrive at our destination?” I asked.

“Four hours thirty nine minutes.” Jane replied.

I moved closer to Black Jack and placed my hand on her head.

“In about five hours you will be reunited with your sister.” I began scratching behind her ears. “You never did tell me her name.” She remained silent. “It's alright. I will find out eventually.” My hand traveled lower as I began to pet the back of her neck. “I had a dog a long time ago. She used to love this.” Memories flooded back. “She was the best. Everyday I came home from work she ran to me.”

“Why are you telling me all this?” Black Jack asked interrupting me.

“I don’t know. I guess it just feels good to talk to someone.” My hand went lower down right above the base of her wings. “I haven’t really opened up to anyone for years… but I can with you. My pet.”

I looked at her face and saw a light blush in her cheeks. I continued to pet her moving my hand a little lower. I applied pressure. She began to squirm slightly but did not protest. Strange. My hand found its way back to her head.

“Commander, it appears we received several messages from the ship.” Jane informed me.

“Give me the details.” I ordered.

“There was an attack. It was a rogue unit from the equestrians. Several equestrians died. We received zero casualties. The fight was stopped by princess Celestia.” Jane replied.

“Did she voice any grievances against us or galactic law?”

“No. She accepted the execution of the offending officer.”

“I am glad.”

“So am I.” The voice came from inside the tank but no one else was there.

“Who’s there!?” Black Jack asked startled.

A spear appeared and went through my chest. I began coughing up blood.

“Black Jack…. run.” I fell limp.

She began pounding on the exit hatch trying to escape. “Stay back!” She screamed in horror.

“You're next…” A black figure appeared inside the tank another spear in hand. “Goodbye little one.” .

Black Jack closed her eyes. She waited for pain and death but it didn't come.

I began laughing. “That's enough. I think you got her good my friend.” I sat back up the spear and blood vanishing into shadows. “A little more dramatic than I expected.”

The dark figure disappeared and was replaced by my adviser. “Well I try.” He laughed. “That was fun.”

“What the BUCK IS GOING ON?” Black Jack asked angrily.

“A harmless prank.” The Adviser replied.

“HARMLESS?!” Black Jack yelled.

“Yes. No one was injured.” Jane answered.

“Jane… how are you? It has been awhile since I heard from you.” My adviser said.

“The only reason for that is because of your annoying device… that blocks me.” Jane replied.

“You two can bicker later. You obviously came here for something. What is it?” I asked.

“There are more griffons up ahead. In equestrian territory… or there were at least.” A wicked smile came across my advisors face. “They will not be a problem anymore.”

My smile fell. My previous joy forgotten.

“What did you do?” I asked.

He laughed. “Look outside.”

I opened up the hatch above me and climbed on top of the tank. I looked ahead. What I saw before my eyes was brutal. Corpses littered on the ground and various organs hung in the trees like Christmas decorations. The grass was no longer green but stained red with blood. Hundreds of vultures hung in the air.

“How many…” I whispered.

“About two hundred.” He said as he materialized next to me outside the tank. “They didn’t see me coming.”

“Do you realize what you have done?” I asked angrily.

“Yes, but you would have had to kill them if I did not.” He paused. “I made sure a very small group survived. They will not suspect your involvement as you did not kill them.”

“Hopefully you are right. If not… I would hate to bring war to this world.”

“A war you could easily win…. and show them your true power.” He grinned.

“Or I could show YOU my true power!” I growled threateningly.

He backed off slightly. “I would take you up on that offer, but after our last duel… I am deciding to refrain.”

My thoughts wandered back… far back. Memories from the destruction our last fight. A fight where billions lost their lives in a pointless battle over something unimportant. Just because we were both too stubborn to make a compromise. I felt something warm on my cheek. I felt my face it was a tear. My hands started shaking.

“Are you alright?” Black Jack asked.

I did not respond instead I jumped out of te opened hatch on the tank and I began walking behind the convoy.

“You need to keep your shit straight…” I mumbled to myself.

“Yes you do.” My adviser appeared above me floating in the air.

I felt my anger rising. “You don’t understand.” I looked at him. “Or maybe you do.” I paused. “I can not afford to have a war start here.”

“That may be true. The question is can war be avoided?” I considered his words.

“I already have a way…”

“Do you really want to use that?” My advisor said cutting me off.

“I’m considering my options. The warhead landed in the badlands casualties should be near zero.” He must of had a reason to bring this up.

“I know you care about this place.” His demeanor completely changed. “I understand why.”

“Is it that obvious?” I sighed.

“Sort of…"

My feelings toward Equus were strong. This place was a remnant of my past as well as my advisor's. He will never admit to it, but I know he has feelings for this place as well or he would not of stayed so long.

“It is true. I care about this place.” I stopped walking and stared as the convoy began getting further away. “I don’t know if I can protect it.”

“It is possible that you could fail. Though we have advantages they do not. Technologically they are inferior in every way.”

“Diplomacy is the best option. That means no more killing griffons.”

“What about…”

“That includes any other sentient species here…” I cut him off. “unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.”

“These terms are adequate.”

“Good.” I began heading toward the convoy. “Let's get going before they get to far ahead.”

---------------------------------- Canterlot Court ----------------------------------

Celestia was put in a difficult position due to Lieutenant Golden Torch’s actions. Well, former Lieutenant. He was stripped of all of his titles, land, and whatever else he had. To top it off Celestia had to condemn this pony to death. In a time of war his actions would be dealt with execution. Equestria was not at war though. The way things were headed she could not guarantee things to stay at peace.

“Court is in session.” Celestia banged her gavel to bring the court to order. Ahem, Celestia cleared her throat before continuing. “Golden Torch you have been found accused of abandoning your post, disobeying orders, endangering the lives of your fellow soldiers, and high treason. How do you plead?”

“Guilty.” Golden Torch answered.

He knew there was no way out. Even if he plead not guilty he would be found guilty. There were a lot of witnesses and he knew there was no way out.

“For the crimes you have committed you are hereby marked as a traitor, your house shamed, and your life now forfeit.” Celestia paused. “Your execution will be held in the morning.” Her sentence was finalized with her gavel striking down. “Court is adjourned.”

The room was silent and still. The sound of the gavel was heard echoing several times before Celestia left. The sentence hung in the air. The finality of it sunk in. He was dead.

Golden Torch was escorted out by eight guards. Four human soldiers and four royal guards. The audience in the courtroom was left speechless. An execution had not taken place in over a hundred years in Equestria. However, things were soon to change

Author's Note:

Well it has been awhile since I updated this story (almost two years) but I am back and have already finished a few more chapters. However those chapters release will be delayed until I begin editing some of the previous 20 some chapters already out. This may take a day or three to go through. To find out more click here.