• Published 11th Jan 2015
  • 3,770 Views, 38 Comments

The Kings Bride - Rainbow__Sparkle

  • ...
11
 38
 3,770

A Meeting at Canterlot

Rainbow Dash raced through puffy, white clouds with her fellow Wonderbolt comrades. She held the lead, but Fleetfoot slowly began to overtake her. Rainbow beat her wings down harder, propelling her forward at a faster pace. She managed to get neck-and-neck with the other speedy pegasus.

With a glance over her shoulder, Rainbow Dash saw Spitfire on her tail. Fire Streak pulled ahead and began to catch up to the fiery maned mare. They were all grouped together in a large clump. A few seconds later, they began to plummet towards the ground.

Perfect, I can really kick some tail now. Dash thought as she jackknifed downwards, quickly gaining speed. Making herself as straight as an arrow, her lithe figure sliced through the air like a knife through warm butter.

A moment of tranquility passed, and a sharp sound similar to an explosion echoed around the area. A prismatic disk spread across the sky, creating a grand spectacle for all to see.

Dash bolted down to the finish line, her momentum making her hooves skid across the pavement. She had just surpassed her fellow Wonderbolts a few seconds before. They gasped in amazement at the last remnants of her signature move, unknowingly etching it into their memory.

They each hoof-bumped her and made several comments on it. After a few minutes of chatting with one another, they agreed to head back to the compound for a well-deserved lunch. Since Rainbow Dash clenched first place in the race, she was first in line. Out of the three meal choices, she took a hay burger with a fizzy soda. Once she settled down at the table, the other Wonderbolts gradually began to fill the vacant seats around her. Most of their discussions had to do with their next private race.

A loud clattering reached her ears. The sound grew in volume, and the other pegasi began to notice as well. To their surprise, a gray pegasus stumbled through the cafeterias double doors. She trotted forward slowly but still managed to bump into the occasional table. With a smile, she approached Rainbow Dash and have her a manila envelope.

"Thanks, Derpy!" Rainbow Dash returned her smile. Derpy began to leave the building.

Spitfire curiously asked Rainbow Dash about the letters contents as she ripped it open with her teeth. Deciding that there were probably more ponies around the table that would ask the same question, she read it aloud.

"Dearest Rainbow Dash, I need you to report to Canterlot Castle immediately. I will explain once you arrive. Sincerely, Princess Celestia." Rainbow Dash rose an eyebrow.

“I wonder why she needs you.” Fleetfoot pondered. “I guess that it's pretty important if she wants you to go so urgently."

“Well, you heard the princess, I gotta go.” Dash said as she headed out the door. Everypony waved goodbye to Rainbow Dash, including Derpy, who for some reason, still stood at the doors. Trotting out through the back doors of the compound, Rainbow took off into the sky. While soaring around into the castle's general vicinity, she too pondered the reason of her kneading to depart so abruptly.

After a few minutes flight, Rainbow arrived at her destination. She made her way up to the castle doors but was quickly stopped by two guards standing on each side

"Halt. You may not enter. Even if you are famous." the one on the right said, knowing that she would try to use her fame to get in.

“She is with us." A regal figure looked over their heads, held aloft by well-preened wings. She gracefully landed before them, taking a step towards the doors. They pulled them open for her, allowing Rainbow Dash to pass as well. One of the guards clearly murmured, "If you sat so."

"We apologize dear Rainbow Dash. What we are working with is of great importance. Many of our guards are unaware of it."

Luna guided Rainbow Dash through the castle corridors to a wall. While the smaller mare looked in confusion, the larger checked for any of the Royal guard within sight. When none was found, she scanned the wall carefully. Her tongue poked out of the side of her mouth as she vandalized the seemingly normal wall.

With a quiet, "Aha!" Luna pressed her right hoof against a brick hallway between the middle of the wall and the floor. She nodded towards the once hidden door that creaked open. They walked down the spiral staircase in silence, only the clacking of their hooves against stone making any noise. About halfway down, Rainbow Dash spoke up.

"What is this place?"

"It is a secret room only used for urgent meetings. The last time, we came here, was when Discord broke free from his stone prison."

“Then why are we down here-- Oh. It's Discord again! I thought Fluttershy reformed him! Oh, I outta--"

"Actually, Discord is still cooperating. He is helping us with the enemy at hoof."

“Oh, um, could you refrain from telling him that?"

“Your secret is safe with me. However, your lack of trust in him has been noted.”

To Rainbow's relief, they finally reached the door leading to the secret room. Luna met her eyes as she put a hoof on the door.

“What you see, hear or do in this room will stay completely confidential to the public. If you speak to others about this room and what happened within it, you will under the crown's consequences."

Dash gulped and hesitantly nodded.

I wonder what she meant by consequences. You know what? I don't wanna know.

Luna pushed the door open to reveal Rainbow's friends. As she peered at each of the room's occupants, she realized that she was the last one to arrive. The others must've gotten a letter beforehand.

In the center of the room, a three-dimensional replica of Equestria sat upon a circular table, a hologram rather than a solid structure. Celestia paced on the other end of the room, head cocked towards the floor in thought. She occasionally spoke to herself, but Rainbow Dash couldn't decipher what the words were.

One-by-one, the five other pastel-colored ponies noticed her presence. The first being Pinkie Pie.

"Dashie!"

She winced at her nickname but was soon surrounded in a group hug.

"Rainbow Dash! It's been so long since we've seen you! I want to know what you've been doing in Cloudsdale. Have you been seeing anypony?" Twilight grinned as she broke off from the embrace.

"Dettaaaiiillsss!" Rarity squealed. After meeting Rainbow's confused eyes, she added, "What about that Soarin fellow? Does he suit your fancy?"

"Well, he is a pretty nice guy. Not to mention that he's pretty hot. I definitely wouldn't object to dating him, but I don't want to mess up any of our friendships. He used to date, but I haven't heard about him being with anypony recently. It's just, I dunno. I like the friendship we share, and I would hate for that to be screwed up." Rainbow cast a worried look over to each of her friends as she saw that they seemed entranced by her words. “Don’t we have an end-of-the-world talk thingy? Why we here?”

“Yes, yes. We have very important matters to discuss.” Princess Celestia stopped her pacing and faced two other ponies that Rainbow failed to see when she walked in, Shining Armour and Princess Cadence. “Many of you will be shocked to hear this. I was also when I first heard the news." She paused for a moment and looked at Twilight. “King Sombra has returned to the Crystal Empire.”

They gasped in horror. Now they knew why Cadence and Shining Armour were there.

“What about the Crystal Heart?! Shouldn't it repel Sombra from the Empire?" Twilight asked, her previous theories on the Crystal Hearts magic nearly being crushed under the contradictory statement.

“Somepony within the Empire stole it, but we haven't detected the culprit yet. We escaped in time, but the rest of the Empire is being imprisoned by him." Cadence replied solemnly.

“Can’t we use the rainbow powers on him like we did on Tirek?" Applejack turned to Celestia.

“Good idea! It will be easy peasy lemon squeezy!” Pinkie cheered,

“I’m afraid not,” Princess Celestia said.

"Indeed. For if there was any other way, I would have already vanquished thee to the realm of Tartarus." Luna agreed.

“Why can't we?” Fluttershy peeked a large sea foam green eye out from behind her mane.

“For one, his blood is saturated with dark magic. Two, we are uncertain on the logistics of the 'rainbow powers.' And three," Luna went silent as stared at the floor.

"Aaaannnnnddddd?” Pinkie Pie encouraged.

With a sigh, Luna raised her head. “He has acquired of the Elements of Disharmony.”

They gasped once more. With a poof of striped mist, Discord enters the room.

“What did I miss?” Discord strolled around the table.

“You're a bit late,” Shining Armor growled,

“Well, it’s not my fault. How am I supposed to know exactly when Rainbow Dash would arrive." With a snapped of his class, a black top hat appears on his head. He took it off, reached inside it with his lion's paw, and pulled a very startled Rainbow Dash out of it.

“Put me down!” she shrieked, thrashing her legs around.

“As you wish,” Discord sneered. He dropped her from his paw, then snickering as she hit the ground with a dull thud.

“Ow!” Rainbow glared at Discord, who merely shrugged.

“Wowza! How was it like to be pulled out of a hat?” Pinkie asked while helping the disheveled mare up.

“It was… well, interesting to sat the least. Has somepony ever pulled on your tail before? Cause it's kinda like that except on your backbone.”

“Anyway.” Celestia interrupted, but was then interrupted herself by Applejack.

“What are the Elements of Disharmony?”

“Everything that exists in the world also has its counter.” Luna started, blowing a puffed air at her forelock. “We thought that the Elements of Disharmony were hidden beyond detection, but we were mistaken."

“Where did you stash them?” Rainbow inquired.

“We didn't hide them. Our counters did." Celestia sighed.

Rarity's interest piked. “Even ponies have counter?”

“Yes,” Cadence answered,

“Interesting.” Twilight hummed to herself.

Luna continued the tale. “We gave the responsibility of hiding the Elements of Disharmony to our counters, and counters live in a different world. Somehow King Sombra has taken them into his possession, so our forces are harmless against him."

“There is, however, one way to get rid of him. It was originally only going to be used as the last resort.” Shining Armor sighed, looking a few years older than his actual age.

“How?” Fluttershy asked, tilting her head to the left.

“Sombra said that he will give up the empire if,” Cadence paused for a moment to look at the mane six as a whole. “if somepony marries him.”

For the third time of the evening, they gasped.

What kind of sicko forces somepony to marry them?! That's the lowest of the low. Rainbow silently thought. Just thinking about the tyrant made her shiver.

“If he doesn't receive a bride writhing this week, he will take the Crystal Empire for an eternity. How, we don't know. But we are not willing to risk it. Especially not with so many ponies lives at stake. Shining Armor began to panic.

“Don’t worry, honey. We’ll figure out something” Cadence cooed.

Twilight took a deep breath. “Okay, I’ll be Sombra’s bride."

“Twilight no! Equestria needs you!” Applejack exclaimed gestures toward her horn and wings.

“No, it is my duty as a princess to be there for Equestria. Plus, it's not like anypony else will volunteer to do it. Therefore, it is my responsibility."

“No, I will!” Rarity yelled, “I will represent Equestria, I can still make fashion once I marry him can't I?”

“Rarity you wouldn’t survive a day in there. I'll marry him” Applejack insisted.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?!” Rarity's temper rose.

“Oh, please. You know exactly what ahm talking about!” Applejack yelled,

“Okay, I’ll do it. I can’t see you girls fight like this… It’s no fun!” Pinkie's big, blue eyes looked over the arguing pair of ponies.

“No! You’ll forget what fun is like if you go in there!"

“Girls,” Fluttershy whispered, but nopony heard her, “Girls… um, girls.”

“GIRLS! I’LL DO IT!” Fluttershy screamed, “All I do take care of animals and I have no love life. You all have important things to do, but I don’t!”

“Fluttershy, if I can't survive a day there,” Rarity said with a glare at Applejack, “Then you certainly can’t.”

The bickering between the mares was giving Rainbow Dash a raging headache. She felt like she was going to lose her mind at this rate.

Celestia's eyes darted back and first between the mares, her thick resolve cracking and letting some nervousness seep through. Luna looked about ready to rip her ears clean off her head. Shining Armour looked like he was going to teleport out of the room after the next shout. His horn was already lit with a lavender aura.

“THAT’S IT! I WILL MARRY KING SOMBRA! I WILL BE HIS BRIDE!” Rainbow Dash finally shouted, Shining Armour disappearing in a flash a send after she finished the last sentence.

“Well, that was rude. Sometimes I can't believe that I fell for him." Cadence glared at the spot he stood two seconds ago which was shortly before seeing the six mare's shocked expressions. "I love him! I really do. It's just... that was really cold. Don't tell him that."

They nodded in agreement and continued ranting about who should be the tyrant's bride.

“Rainbow, you have just achieved your lifelong dream! You can't do it!"

“Yeah! You can’t go to mean old Sombra!” Pinkie said trying to convince her to stay.

“SOARINDASH MUST BE!” Rarity cried, her eyes dilating.

“Girls, it is my job to protect the princesses and Equestria. That’s the commitment for being a Wonderbolt. None of you deserve this! I’ll be the bride.” Rainbow Dash said, a sigh escaping her lips.

“Are you sure about this Rainbow? If you do this, there is no going back. Even if your heart is set for another stallion." Celestia warned. Rainbow Dash trotted forward, delivering herself a few more feet away from her friends.

“I am the element of loyalty, am I not?”

Author's Note:

My editor made it so it was a bit more described.

Hope you like it! :rainbowkiss: