• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 2,609 Views, 1,265 Comments

The Nineteenth Century: The Saga of Equestria - mint20



It is 1806. The Corps of Discovery is currently holed up in Fort Clatsop, but their presence in Griffon territory does not go unnoticed. In Equestria, the Princesses sit on their thrones, unaware that the ideas of the West may just force them off.

  • ...
9
 1,265
 2,609

Interlude: A Pan-American Congress

Interlude: A Pan-American Congress
The Nineteenth Century: The Saga of Equestria

September 1, 1825
Canterlot, Equestria

To the Most Serene Majesties of Equestria,

Greetings. I am Simón Bolívar, President of the American nation of Gran Colombia. You have, most likely, never heard of Gran Colombia, or indeed, any nations south of Mexico. I must confess that I know little about your nation, as well. That being said, in June of 1826, Gran Colombia, along with several other American nations, including Mexico and possibly even the United States of America, will be holding a Congress at Panama. I have, for your convenience, inclosed several maps of the region. It would be a great honor if Your Serene Majesties could attend. Due to political and other reasons, I am sorry to say that we can only offer an observer status, but despite this, I am certain that the Congress will be enlightening for all parties.

Sincerely,

President Bolívar
(Enclosed: Five different maps of the Panama region and original of the letter, written in Spanish.)

“Wow,” said Princess Luna.

“Wow, indeed,” observed Twilight. “I don’t think we can ignore this.”

“No way,” agreed Cadance. “This is monumental. We have to send a delegation.”

“We do,” said Celestia, “and we should send everyone. I mean, all of the Royal Council, the Chancellor of the Royal Court, and several missions’ worth of diplomats. If this letter means what I think it means, then we have the opportunity to open diplomatic relations with several different nations at once.”

“I hate to say it, but we should also bring some of the First Corps and the Royal Guard, if for no other reason than to protect ourselves from bandits and the such,” said Luna.

“You have a point. They will slow us down, but may also lend us legitimacy and the such. I’ll ask Shining Armor to put together a force for us.”


June 22, 1826
Panama City, Gran Colombia
Before the start of the Congress

A hush fell over the within the Congress humans as the Princesses of Equestria, with their diplomats and human translators, entered the meeting hall.

Celestia took a brief moment to think back to the Advisory Assembly. I hope that they are working alright, especially since we borrowed the Chancellor of the Court to act as a representative. If we get back and they’ve done something stupid…

She stopped her musing, as a human had split off of the Congress and approached them.

“Greetings, Your Serene Majesties,” he said in Spanish. The ponies’ translators did their job, of course.

“Greetings…” Celestia trailed off, as she did not know who this human was.

“My apologies. I am President Simón Bolívar, of Gran Colombia. I organized this Congress and invited you.”

“Greetings, President Bolívar. I am Princess Celestia. This is Princess Luna, my sister. This is Princess Cadance…”

She introduced each member of the Royal Council, and the rest of the diplomatic delegation. The President bowed to each member of the Council, and nodded politely to each other member of the Equestrians’ delegation.

“...We are here on behalf of the Principality of Equestria.”

“I hope that you found your hotel, and other accommodations that I arranged for you were satisfactory…”

“They were indeed. We thank you.”

The human hesitated, then said, “I must confess, Princesses, we have heard only vague rumors and mutterings about your nation, so I hope you will forgive any prying questions or stares pointed in your direction. Humans are a curious species, and we have never seen anything quite like you.”

Celestia grimaced slightly, but said, “We have come to expect this, in our dealings with the human race. I hope that you will, in return, understand that we are not at liberty to answer certain questions.”

“Of course. There is a saying that a leader does not remain a leader for long if he - or she, as the case may be - does not appreciate the value of silence.”

Celestia smiled. Shifting the topic, she said, “It is the policy of the Principality to open diplomatic relations with every nation we encounter. With that in mind, we would like to open relations with your Gran Colombia.”

“Gladly. In turn, I will arrange for a diplomat from Gran Colombia to accompany you back to your nation, and establish an embassy there.

“Now, I am certain that representatives from the other nations will want to speak with you, as well. We will begin the Congress in about an hour.”


(An hour later…)

“Come to order, esteemed delegates. Before we begin, I would like to thank everyone for attending the Congress of Panama. Special thanks to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and to the...Principality of Equestria, for attending as observers. We welcome comments from the observer nations, but would like to remind them that they have no vote.”

Celestia leaned back slightly, and nodded to signal her understanding, as the British delegate did the same. She was alone, as each nation only had one seat at the table. The rest of Equestria’s delegation said behind her, back a meter or so. They should have no issues hearing her and the other nations.

“The Congress is now in session. The first order of business is to discuss Spain, and the threat poses to all liberty-loving American nations.”

The diplomat from Mexico leaned forward, and said, “Indeed. Spain has been attempting to reconquer the United Mexican States for five years now, and they are a dark menace that threatens other state’s hard-won sovereignty.”

The Peruvian diplomat chimed in, saying, “I doubt that any of us will deny the threat that the Spanish pose to us. They may have lost almost all of their colonies, but empires do not die easily.”

The discussion about Spain continued, and Celestia held her peace throughout it. As she had little knowledge about this Spain, she would have been of little help.

Instead, Celestia observed the delegates’ discussion in silence, and thought quietly to herself. They have quite a lot in common: a single language, cultural similarities, the same origin country, one religion, and the like. While they claim to have different titles and the like and use different labels to describe themselves, I am not so sure that they are so different.


June 25, 1826
Panama City, Gran Colombia

“...and that, my esteemed colleagues, is why we should establish a mutual defence pact, with a common army and generals. With it, we will be able to stand against Spain, France, or any foreign threat, without having to rely on the United States. Of course, we are thankful for the United States’ proclamation to discourage European imperialism in the New World, but we cannot maintain our national honor if we simply rely on a completely different nation.”

President Bolívar sat down, his bit said.


June 30, 1826
Panama City, Gran Colombia

“...The establishment of a supranational parliamentary assembly shall be in the best interest of all of those within the Confederation, as we could then meet together and discuss affairs that concern all of us.”


July 2, 1826
Panama City, Gran Colombia

“No. We will not lower tariffs. Those tariffs exist to protect Peruvian products from cheaper items made in nations will better developed infrastructure than ours. Lowering our tariffs would be inviting death upon our domestic market!”


July 7, 1826
Panama City, Gran Colombia

“But who will lead such an expedition? Mexico is hardly the only nation with claims to those ports, after all. My nation of Gran Colombia also has claims!”

“You should be wary of provoking Spain,” added the British delegate. “As was said before, the Empire of Spain is on the decline, but it still has a well-disciplined army that would pose a significant challenge to overcome. Also...forcefully seizing colonies from Spain could send the...wrong message...to other countries that also have colonies in the Caribbean.”


July 15, 1826
Panama City, Gran Colombia

“I present to you, esteemed colleagues, the Treaty of Union, League, and Perpetual Union, in its final form. If all members of the Congress could attach their signatures, and forward it to their governments for ratification,” said Bolívar.

“Unfortunately, the countries that attended only as observers are not members, and are not invited to the Confederation at this time. I’m sure you understand.”

Celestia nodded, understanding the practicality behind the maneuver. After all, Equestria was populated by an entirely different species.

“The Congress agreed yesterday that we would transfer the Congress to Tacubaya, México. All the member states are invited.”

“Unfortunately, the Principality of Equestria will be unable to continue with this Congress. We have spent too much time already here, away from the affairs of our nation. We are still continuing the westernization process, and we must return to Equestria to oversee the remainder of the process,” replied Celestia

“That being said, the Equestrian Royal Council applauds this Congress, and the spirit it is conducted in. It reminds me of the founding of Equestria itself, when the Three Tribes of Ponykind united against a common foe. I hope that this union works for everyone, and that the Principality will be close friends with your peoples.”


September 15, 1826
Canterlot, Equestria

“Chief of the Deputies, tell the Royal Council and the Chancellor of the Court what has transpired in Equestria since our departure.”

“Yes, Your Highness. The Advisory Assembly has been hard at work, implementing the orders you left for us. We have approved funds for and laid the foundation for an expansion of the Canterlot harbors, bought designs of some British ships, established a rudimentary naval academy, advised by British naval officers that we hired, and have imported several human medicines for study.”

“Excellent. I call for a vote to ratify the Assembly’s decisions, believing them to be in the best interests of Equestria. Any objectors, speak now.”

Pause.

“Hearing no objections, the Royal Council hereby ratifies all decisions of the Advisory Assembly. You are dismissed, Chief.”

The Chief of the Chamber of Deputies bowed deeply, then left.

“Now, the Ministry of the Sciences and Arts wishes to present a solution to our...ah, monetary issues?”

“Yes,” replied Twilight. “We have been considering the issue, and have this to propose: Establish a central bank, a national bank, and give them the authority to issue paper money.”

“Paper money?”

“Yes. We will retain the bit, and set each bit to be equal to a certain amount of pure, 24 karat gold. According to comparisons with the American Dollar, given the current amount of bits in circulation, one ounce of pure gold should equal about one hundred, fifty bits.”

“And we have the ponies trade in their bits?”

“Yes. We simply declare that all currency of a certain denomination and higher, say, ten or twenty bits, must be traded in for paper currency by a certain date. After that date, we no longer recognize the old denominations.”

“Interesting...that idea will bear studying…”

Author's Note:

Calculations for re-establishing the value of bits to gold:

1. Taking my calculations from last time, ~7.83 EQB = 1 USD
2. Inflation has already begun to set in on the Equestrian economy, but according to the same source as last time, the US Dollar also gained some value, as the exchange rate is $19 per ounce.
3. Thus, I arbitrarily established the exchange rate to be ~8.57 EQB = 1 USD
4. Thus, 19 * 8.57 = 156.37 EQB for one ounce of gold.
5. Round down to 150 EQB, because the ponies are dealing in rough numbers.

Boy, I was busy...