• Published 26th Dec 2014
  • 2,609 Views, 1,265 Comments

The Nineteenth Century: The Saga of Equestria - mint20



It is 1806. The Corps of Discovery is currently holed up in Fort Clatsop, but their presence in Griffon territory does not go unnoticed. In Equestria, the Princesses sit on their thrones, unaware that the ideas of the West may just force them off.

  • ...
9
 1,265
 2,609

Interlude: The Lapance Affair

Interlude: The Laplace Affair

The Nineteenth Century: The Saga of Equestria

July 10, 1839
Lāhainā, Kingdom of Hawai’i

Captain Laplace, a Frenchman born at sea, ordered his ship forward. The Artémise sailed into the port, to an audience of several Hawaiian officials, including the King. Laplace also noticed one of the Equestrians, a pink Alicorn, standing by the King.

Just what we need. To deal with them...


Same time
Same place

Princess Cadance watched the ship, bearing the French tricolor. She felt a lead bar drop into her stomach, and her mind quickly went into overdrive.

Okay, so this was unexpected. What do the French want? Clearly the King does not expect them…

Her thoughts were cut short, however, when the ship finished docking.

“I know that you have had...issues with the French,” said Kamehameha. “Hawai’i, however, has no real problems with the nation. I would like to see this through with minimum shouting, if it can be at all avoided.”

“Of course, Ali’i Nui,” replied Cadance. “However, if the French think they can kick around either Equestria or Hawai’i, they are very much mistaken.”

“Naturally.”

Both of them fell silent, as the captain of the vessel approached the two.

“I need to speak to you, Kamehameha,” said the man, ignoring the Princess completely, and dropping the King’s title.

Kamehameha raised an eyebrow, but smiled. “Of course. We can meet-”

“We need to meet in private,” cut in the captain.

This time, Kamehameha bristled. “No. If you wish to meet with me, I will invite anyone I see is necessary.”

The captain mulled for a moment, then said, “Very well.”

“Alright, then. We will meet, and I will be inviting Princess Cadance from the Principality of Equestria.”


“I will make this simple,” said Captain Lapance. “The detention and persecution of French Roman Catholics - or indeed, all Roman Catholics - is absolutely unacceptable.”

Kamehameha sighed to himself.

“Ali’i Nui, what is he talking about?” asked Cadance, confused.

“I am talking about,” said the Captain, before the King could answer, “the arrest, detention, torture, and forceful deportation of Roman Catholics by this Kingdom. I have come to demand that Roman Catholics be granted the same rights as their Protestant counterparts, and that the Kingdom compensate them for damages.”

“That’s not true, is it?” asked Cadance, looking at the King sideways. “At least, I hope it isn’t…”

“...it is,” said the King. “After the death of Kamehameha the Great, the Queen-Regent Ka’ahamanu bought into the Protestant faith and the missionaries had her make the Roman Catholic faith illegal. There was some...unpleasantness.”

“Quite an interesting way of putting that. As I said, Catholic individuals have faced all sorts of unspeakable atrocities at the hands of the Hawaiian government.”

“All these atrocities - and I fully acknowledge that they are atrocities - occurred at the hands of my predecessors. I -”

“Save it. If that was true, then you have had fourteen years since your ascension to legalize Catholicism, issue an apology, or do something - anything! - to make this right. You have done no such thing!”

The captain drew himself up to his full height. “That brings me to my purpose here. I am here to demand, on behalf of the King of France, that the Kingdom of Hawai’i legalize Catholicism, release all detained or arrested French Catholics, and pay reparations to mitigate the damages done. I am authorized by the French Crown to use all force I deem necessary to enforce these demands.”

Cadance was stunned at hearing all of this. After a moment of gathering her thoughts, she said, “The Principality of Equestria, while disapproving of the use of force to achieve the goals listed, otherwise agree in principle with the demands. Agreeing to said demands will undoubtedly earn the goodwill of the Council, and the Principality may even extend a small loan, should the Kingdom request it.”

“No. We committed the crimes, we should bear the punishment,” replied the King. “I haven’t spent that much time with you ponies, but your principles seem to be wise…”

Turning to face the captain, the King said, “Very well. I accept your demands. I shall have an edict drafted and ready to announce within two days from now.”

“...I am glad that you saw reason so easily,” said the captain, sounding slightly surprised. “Of course, I shall stay until the declaration of the edict.”

“Naturally.”

Author's Note:

I'm back, bitches!!!

*ahem* Ahh...It is good to back. Sorry that this is such a short chapter after a year break! It might also be subpar...I cannot describe how much trouble this chapter caused me! AHHHH!!!!

I'll be doing everything in my power to return to normalcy. This story is my NaNoWriMo project!

Hopefully people are still reading.......

My new theme with this story...