• Published 11th Nov 2014
  • 1,279 Views, 157 Comments

Under Loyalty's Flag - Gapeagle



With a drunk as her only friend, Rainbow Dash takes to the sea on a ship and crew she knows nothing about.

  • ...
2
 157
 1,279

Chapter 15: Etiquette on Deck

"Hey, Rares, wait up!"

Rainbow dashed across the deck to the Bearer of Generosity. Rarity was obviously still upset after Caramel put her in place. Being younger than even Rainbow, this must have been hard on the girl. Rainbow's calls didn't attract any attention from the Bearer. And so the young pirate had to wait until the Assassin reached the main mast, where she turned and leaned on gently.

"Darling, wait is it?" Rarity pouted.

"Jus' wanted to tell ya that I gave Captain Caramel a good one between the legs."

"Good Stars, what do you even mean?" Rarity blinked in confusion.

"Oh, I kicked his balls."

"Such roguish behavior. No wonder you are on this ship."

Rainbow was not sure how to take Rarity's remarks. She wanted to shake her small fist at the Bearer, but restrained from doing so. This was just how Rarity acted, she reminded herself. Instead, she took a deep breath and changed the subject.

"So, ya wanna learn how to make it on this ship, do ya?" she started slyly, "then ya gotta know the layout. Ya see, we're not some unorganized mess that floats on a giant piece of wood. We're professional privateers. Rogue privateers."

"I simply adore how you try to put yourselves above lowly pirates..." Rarity said with oozing sarcasm.

"Anyway...do you want a tour or not?" Rainbow said through gritted teeth.

"Fine, but as long as you don't bring me to wherever you pigs use as the restroom. I rather not have nightmares."

"Oh, that's at the head," Rainbow pointed towards the front of the ship. "Since the front is always downwind, we never smell any of our shit. It's not bad...but it could be better."

Rainbow then led the Bearer throughout the Ragnarok. Up, down, this way, that way, and every other way they went. As Rainbow showed Rarity the kitchen, the sleeping quarters, the poop deck, the forecastle, the stern, and the cannons, the Bearer made sly and sarcastic remarks at every turn. Every object or place was met with criticism such as "this needs a polish," "how can you even live here?" and "not even pigs deserve that," were just the common sayings. With every phrase, Rainbow's eyes would twitch, but she tried and tried to remain peaceful and non-violent. At the end of their tour, they returned to the main deck.

"So lass," Caramel called from the wheel. "You want to have ya freedom, eh? Ya have to pull your weight somehow and earn your food too. If ya start summonin' food, we'll take some for ourselves. Unless ya want to be our cook?"

Rarity ignored him completely. She did not even give notice to his shouts over the waves. Instead, she summoned a thick table in the middle of the deck and also summoned a delicate and expensive set of dishes and silverware. Every pirate on board was rightfully confused, especially Rainbow and Berry, but no one objected her actions.

Rarity, once done with her work, spoke to the whole crew. "What I plan to do is make civilized beings out of all of you. Yes, all of you. Every one of you is a scoundrel and buffoon without any manners in the slightest. Your ship is a mess, your etiquette is absent, and your cleanliness is nonexistent. I mean, have any of you ever touched soap in your lifetimes?"

"We get it!" Rainbow interrupted. "But we are just fine the way we are. We don't need your Canterlotian views mucking us up."

"I did the same with the crews of Assassin ships," Rarity poked a finger into Rainbow's chest. "Because of that, our efficiency went up by at least 30%. That's why we arrived at your precious island so quickly. I am Generous, and in my teachings, I shall grace upon you the techniques of champions. However, that must start with you all being respectable and organized as the Sister's Imperial Navy."

"And teaching us how to drink tea right is gonna do that....how?" Berry asked with lazy eyes.

"You shall see, not stop drowning yourself in alcohol. One thing that we Assassins and the Imperials do is not drink intoxicating beverages while on duty."

"Hey!" Rainbow jumped up. "Ya don't tell my friend what to do!"

"She's actually right, Miss Dash," Caramel walked down from the wheel to the main deck. "Miss Punch, that's enough for this hour. It's not even noon yet."

"But..." Berry protested.

"Listen to the captain," Neon said as he approached Berry Punch.

Neon took the bottle of booze she was drinking and threw it overboard. The drunkard simply looked down at her empty hand with a deep frown. She seemed like she was about to cry, but her face stayed the same and soon everyone switched their attention from her back to the Bearer of Generosity.

"Now, our first lessons with be on proper etiquette and courtesy. I have set this table here to demonstrate proper behavior, by both the men and the women. You will not find any sailor as refined as an Royal Captain, so that is who I am basing my teachings on. Until you all have the manners of a true captain, you will continue to be sloppy in your everyday chores."

She then turned to Rainbow and Caramel. "To start off, I will need you, Rainbow Dash, and you, Captain Caramel, to be the first to sit down at this lovely table. So would you do so, and try not to break everything?"

"I don't see how table manners are going to make us better sailors," Caramel said.

"Now, if you are sloppy and lack effort to put into the small things, how are you going to put effort in the big things? If you are efficient in the small things, you'll be even more efficient in the big things."

"I guess that makes sense..." Rainbow blinked.

"Now, please sit down."

Both pirates looked at each other before taking their seats at the expensive table. Rarity instantly covered her face in shame and sighed a long, long sigh. Both pirates, shrugged in their seats, completely confused by Rarity's disapproval.

"Caramel!" Rarity shouted. "Rainbow Dash is a lady. It is rude to have her sit in her one seat without assistance from a man."

"Assist her?" Caramel was shocked. "Why?"

Rainbow leaned over the table and pointed a fork at the captain. "If ya help me into my seat, I'll cut ya balls off!"

"See?" Caramel pointed at the young pirate. "She threatened me! Why should I help a gal who threatens me?"

"Both of you, stop being children!" Rarity hissed. "Threats of cutting one's genitals off is not appropriate in any circumstance. I can't believe you imbeciles have kept this ship floating for this long."

"Rares, I ain't just gonna become a 'lady.' I'm a sailor on the Ragnarok. Only the toughest can last. Being a dainty woman is not gonna happen."

"Being a lady does not mean you're dainty," Rarity huffed. "Now please, do you ever sit at the table with your weapons like that?" she gestured at Rainbow's swords. "You are more barbaric than the Gryphons!"

"I'm sorry to tell ya, Miss Rarity," Caramel sighed, "but ya not gonna turn us into some civilized people. We are rogue privateers and we work just fine with each other."

"Hmph!" Rarity turned her nose up. "Then I guess you will not be having that magnificent feast I was preparing when you would all graduate as gentlemen and ladies."

"Feast?" half the crew gasped.

"Yes, since I can summon just about anything, I was planning on having a grand feast fit for Royals. Everything you would ask for, would be there. However, I would only do this if you pirates become respectable and noble. Start living with some decency and I will promise you a meal only a few kings have ever witnessed. Continue living like diseased swines, and you shall stay hungry."

A general mumble ran through the crew. Rarity smiled slyly and leaned on the table between the captain and Rainbow. Her elegant charms were influencing the crew, but Rainbow glared at her, unfazed. The Bearer winked at the young pirate before playfully throwing her hair back, winning the majority of the crew.

"We haven't had a good meal in a while..." said one.

"I can bath if it means she stays on board..."

"Does this mean we can drink during the feast?"

"A nice pile of meat would be nice....fresh meat..."

Rarity continued. "I can grant you all a feast to remember. I know, even though you are but hooligans, that you have good taste in food. All I ask of you is a small favor."

"And when would we have this feast?" Caramel asked.

"Most likely in Baltimare. I doubt even the most dignified of your lot can become civilized in but a couple of days. Some of you haven't even heard of soap. But yes, you shall have a feast to remember. I am an honorable woman. I keep my word."

"It's still the word of a bloody Assassin..." Rainbow muttered under her breath.

"And that's not all!" Rarity gleamed. "I can also make you all rich! Now, I cannot summon gold, but I can summon you goods for trades. With me, you can become a trading empire. The Labyrinth Isles, Baltimare, Fillydelphia, and beyond. You won't have to pirate any longer and become respectable citizens in our pleasant society. How can you refuse?" she added and leaned closer to the captain.

"That sounds nice and all, but I refuse," Caramel told her.

"How?" Rarity fell to her knees and her jaw left hanging. "How can a greedy man like you deny me?"

"Well, I am stubborn," he chuckled. "Miss Rarity, you must remember who ya talkin' to. I don't do all this fighting for just money. Money is as cheap as words. The Ragnarok fights to preserve freedom and to fight the Brotherhood and the Order. Grant me as much material as ya can be as damn Generous as ya can, but you will not change the course of this ship."

His words were not met well by the crew. Some sighed, some moaned, and some cursed. Only the most Loyal of the pirates remained quiet.

"Come on, she's got deals!"

"Let's have some fun."

"I disagree, Captain..."

"Caramel, please man..."

He silenced them with a hand and stood up from his chair. "I don't wanna hear it, boys. Miss Rarity is a fine gal, but make sure she doesn't get in ya head. She's a prisoner of war, nothing more, nothing less. If she decides to try and fancy us into a deal we don't wanna make, then we may have to lock her up again."

"Captain, you cannot be serious!" Rarity steamed. "All I want to do is help."

He silenced her with a finger. "I can see through that mighty easily. I'm been in this business as long you've been alive. I don't trust you. Throwing out deals and trying to change us is not going to win my respect. I don't give a bitpiece unless that person has earned it. You have no authority here, Bearer. You have to earn every scrap ya can get. That's my organization, that's my training, that's this ship's ideals."

"Fine," Rarity crossed her arms. "But my offer still stands. For being such a grotesque pirate, you have some standards. However, I can help your crew. This Element has 200 years of experience and memories. I can try to teach you something?"

"Why would you help your enemies?"

"Because...I'm Generous."

"Bullshit."

With that simple word, Caramel chuckled and left. Rarity growled and picked up a fork just to bend it. Rainbow wanted to laugh, but she instead slipped out of her seat. The Assassin continued to mutter angry curses and she slumped on the thick table. The crew remained where they were and some even took a step towards her.

"Um, would ya mind id ya teach us how...uhhh...how to be gentlemen?" one pirate asked.

"Why yes!" she beamed suddenly. "My deal still stands. Even if some of you ruffians wish to remain ruffians, I shall still have a feast. Now, we can commence our training immediately."

"Oh come on!" Rainbow shouted. "Really guys?"

"Don't be rude, Rainbow," Rarity said. "If they want to learn, they can learn. You can join too."

"I'll never join you guys," Rainbow spat. "Do I look like a royal egghead?"

"As you wish. You can go back to scrubbing your Sun-forsaken toilets," Rarity mocked. "We shall be having a delightful time without you."

Rainbow looked around and her eyes shifted about before looking back at the Bearer. "Fine....what's first on the list?"

~