• Published 11th Nov 2014
  • 1,277 Views, 157 Comments

Under Loyalty's Flag - Gapeagle



With a drunk as her only friend, Rainbow Dash takes to the sea on a ship and crew she knows nothing about.

  • ...
2
 157
 1,277

Chapter 3: Calm Seas and Rough Decks

"C'mon Miss Dash, put some back into it!"

"I don't see why you're doing this captain. I'm a sailor, not a warrior." Rainbow replied to Caramel.

"Ya already consider yourself a sailor? You've only been here for three days!" Caramel told her.

"Yeah I do. Woah! Next time warn me."

"There ain't no warning out here on the seas, Miss Dash. Ya fight for your life out here."

"From what?" She asked.

"Anything and everything. Buccaneers roam these waters. I don't want ya to die at their hands without putting up a fight. En garde!"

Caramel swung his sword wildly at the young woman. She ducked under his swing and his sword stuck in the wood of the mast. The captain growled loudly as he was angered by the damage he caused to his ship. He then attacked with his other sword. Rainbow deflected the blade. Caramel pulled his sword out of the mast and cackled with laughter.

"Haha, you're gettin' the hang of it. Keep this up and we'd be ready to board a schooner!"

"What?"

"Oh, I mean, be a bodyguard!" He smiled sheepishly.

"That's not even remotely similar to what you said." Rainbow observed.

"Oh, quiet you! Hya!"

He swung at her again. His attack met nothing but air as Rainbow jumped back and away from the blade. The captain followed up with a downward slash. Rainbow placed her swords up defensively. The cutlasses met with a metallic sound. Caramel held his swords there and then casually lifted them away from the girl. The captain then sheathed the cutlasses. Rainbow sighed with relief.

"That'd be enough for today, lass. We need to get ya in shape before we get the cargo."

"Yeah, you've told me that before. Why do I need to use two swords anyway? I mean, wouldn't training with only one be better?"

"Oh Miss Dash, you're a sailor, remember? On my ship, no one fights with one sword. That's too simple and formal. We fight like animals here, using every hand and foot to dice the other. It's all about survival in any bloody way possible."

As if to demonstrate what he meant, he lifted his hand upward, showing Rainbow his calloused palm. Suddenly, a well-made blade extended itself from beneath his sleeve. Rainbow jumped back, as she did not expect a weapon to be hidden like that. He gave her a smug look and the blade disappeared in his sleeve. Rainbow gulped and sheathed her own swords. They were the swords of the deceased sailor she had replaced. Apparently, they keep everything and discard the bodies with nothing. They had even gave her the sailor's clothes. The same ones he died in. She, not surprisingly, refused and stuck with her light blue shirt and gray trousers. The captain grinned at her and walked up to the wheel, taking it back from Zecora.

"Alright Miss Dash," He called out to her from the wheel, "Get on with ya duties. We should be meeting our investor...Soonish."

Rainbow turned and headed below deck. There was not much activity on the ship due to the calm sailing. As she walked down the steps, the other sailors glared at her. She stopped and returned their harsh stares with confusion. One of the sailors approached from the shadows. His eyes reflected the midday sun. Rainbow raised a brow at him. He responded with a mocking smile.

"Well, well, ain't it the cap'n's new pet?"

"What are you talkin' about?" Rainbow demanded as she sized up the sailor.

"Oi, nothing, nothing at all. Just ya slackin' off with the cap'n. Training ya to fight? Pfft, he ain't never did that with any of us. Ya get special attention. Why? Did ya show him ya tits?"

"Shut it you! I never did anything like that!"

Rainbow was shoved from behind. The force knocked her to the floor. The sailors laughed at this. Rainbow turned to see that a female sailor had shoved her. The ship rocked up as it went over a wave. Rainbow flipped herself back on her feet. The sailors continued to laugh at her. One of them stepped forward.

"Ya still a green, dame. The cap'n may be lovestruck for ya, but we still think ya need to prove yourself. Only the best can sail on this ship. It's how we stay above the rest of the sluggards on the sea."

Rainbow raised her fists. "What's with ya guys and being the toughest out there? We transport cargo. We're not in the Equestrian Navy!"

The sailors laughed again. Rainbow growled at them. Some of them held their sides in hysteria. One of the sailors fell to the ground in laughter. Veins swelled on Rainbow's temple. She grabbed her swords and drew them. This did not seem to intimidate any of the sailors.

"Oh look guys!" A female sailor shouted and pointed at Rainbow. "She thinks she can fight us! Ha! She doesn't even know what we are!"

"Oi, is that what the captain told ya, Miss Dash? Ha! You aren't the brightest, are ya?"

"Haha!"

"STOP!"

The sailors ended their laughter immediately. All their heads turned to see Caramel at the top of the stairs. He face was red with anger and his swords were in his hands. His blue eyes searched everyone of the sailors, as if to remember each of their faces. There was a dead silence as he did so. Some of the sailors looked to the ground and avoided eye contact with him. Rainbow, however, gazed right at him. He did not seem to notice her. Finally he addressed his men.

"Look at ya! All of ya! Bunch of shites! Who do you think ya are? Some nobles in Canterlot? I can't believe I have such men on my ship. You're suppose to welcome greens, not drive them away. I will not stand the ridiculing of another on board my ship. If ya have problems, give it to me, and not.....this. Miss Dash, with me please."

He turned and walked out of sight. Rainbow hesitated before following. The sailors grumbled and spat at her. Some even gave her rude gestures as she passed. She cursed and sheathed her swords. She quickened her step and followed the captain across the main deck. She saw that Zecora was at the wheel again. The captain walked with an angry step. He headed for the Captain's Quarters. He stopped and turned to her, letting her catch up. Once she did, he opened the door and allowed her to go in first.

The Captain's Quarters was clean and spacious. All along the walls were paintings and small sculptures. Most of the paintings depicted beaches and ships. All of them were well painted and in similar style, suggesting that they were all down by the same artist. Rainbow saw many different color paints and even some paintbrushes on a side table on the left. In the center of the room was a large, rounded table. Maps and ledgers were sprawled about on it in a less-than-neat fashion. To the right of Rainbow was another table, but this one had a rack of odd swords on it. Most of the swords were elaborate and rich in design. They appeared to be weapons of a noble or some wealthy merchant. The captain walked by all of this and sat behind a rectangular desk at the back of the quarters. The desk had the symbol of the Gryphon Kingdom carved in the middle. Caramel placed his hands on the desk, his face was darkened by the light that came from the window behind him.

"So, what was that about?" He asked in a calm demeanor.

"I....Those sailors are just jealous." Rainbow replied.

"Jealous of what?"

"I..Look, they think ya favor me for some reason. I don't get it. They said that you're treating me special like."

"Ha, I guess they have forgotten what I've done for them. Don't mind them lass, they'll come around. It's always tough for a green the first few days. After we get the cargo, I bet they'll look differently at ya."

"Yeah, about the cargo. What is it exactly?"

"Hehehe." He chuckled.

"Well?" Rainbow said impatiently.

"Ya wouldn't believe me, lass. I haven't been......Truthful with you the past days. I guess there is no point in keeping it a secret any longer. You see, Miss Dash, you don't live in the world you think you do. It's far stranger than ya realize."

"Oh, I bet that."

"Don't jest, I'm being serious. When I'm serious, you better be too. Now, the cargo is being held by these religious freaks. Now, we are going to take their cargo, take it right from them. Then we sell it to the highest bidder, whoever that may be."

"Alright.....?"

"The cargo is something called an Element of Harmony. Yeah, Harmony, it's their way of life or something. Well, there are odd things about these Elements, things ya don't wanna hear. It's not something we want to keep. We'll take it and go to Baltimare. From there, we'll sell it and rack in the bits."

"So....Are we pirates?"

"Aye, but I prefer the term, rogue privateer. It sounds fancier and not as savage."

"You...I didn't become a sailor for this! I...I...I'm a criminal now!"

"Indeed, but remember lass, the bits, always about the bits. You asked first and I let you on, now ya work for me, under me. Don't be a Disloyal one and leave. That wouldn't be nice."

Rainbow gulped as she thought about this. The whole Element thing did not stay on her mind. She was starting to worry about what she had dragged Berry into. She was a pirate, on a pirate ship. This was not what she wanted. However, the echo of herself through Caramel, the bits, the money, that's why she was there. Did it really matter how she got the bits? She stole money in the past, but only a little, just to get through the night. This was much worse than that. They were attacking and sinking ships for some odd artifact or another. Her eye began to twitch with the worst going through her mind. The captain raised a brow at her. She didn't respond to him and stared in space.

"Uhh...Miss Dash?" Caramel ventured.

No response.

"Miss Dash!" He shouted.

"Gah!"

Rainbow returned to reality. Her gaze met with Caramel's cold eyes. She gave him a sheepish smile in an attempt to ward off his intimidating stare. This, however, did not work in the slightest. Rainbow resorted to slowly backing away from the captain, still giving him the awkward smile. As she now knew what he was, she saw him in a different light. This man was a buccaneer and a captain. She was a simple performer, a very poor one, but nothing else than that. Her dreams of being a sailor were going downhill. But could she leave? No, that would be Disloyal, she thought. Remember the bits and make the most of it.

"Uhh....Don't worry about me, cap'n, I'll stick with ya." She said after the silence.

He nodded his head. "Good, I expected as much. I know this is a lot for you to handle, but you'll pull through."

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

"Because you wouldn't have joined if I did."

"You wanted me to join?"

"Aye, after that fight in the bar, I saw what I wanted to see. A young woman like yourself, ready to stand up for herself. Admirable. I saw a bit of myself in ya when I was your age."

"I doubt I'm anything like you." Rainbow said in an skeptical tone.

"Heh, maybe. But that's a story for another day. We're done here, Miss Dash, go back out there. If any of the lads taunt ya again, slug 'em."

Rainbow nodded and turned away. Caramel stood up and gazed out his window, watching the wake of the ship. Rainbow listened to her own footsteps as she walked out of the Captain's Quarters. When she opened the door, the cool sea breeze blew by her. She then walked over to the side railing, next to the quarter deck. It was mid-afternoon and the sun shone brightly in a almost cloudless sky. Rainbow gazed around, no land of any kind in sight. Ever since yesterday, they had not seen any land. They were still going outward at a mostly southeast direction.

"That ship better be around here." Rainbow thought aloud.

"Ship sighted sir! She's a big one too!" Shouted a sailor.

"Aye." Zecora said from the wheel. "A ship with the make of Equestrian. One they call a galleon."

Rainbow tilted her head to see what they were talking about. Her eyes widened to see a massive ship in front of them. Its sails were taller than any building in Manehatten. The sails had a yellow tint to them with Celestia's Sun in the middle. It was clear this ship was meant for war. Cannons lined up three decks high on the sides of the galleon. The wood was gold and yellow, giving the ship an almost lively appearance. The ship flew a massive flag of the Equestria Empire. Water was parted by the ram at the bow of the ship. The monster was heading right for them.

"Don't be alarmed, this ship means no harm." Zecora assured the sailors.

Sailors appeared from below deck. They stood on the railings to see the galleon. The Equestrian ship turned slightly and slowed down. Zecora ordered the top sails to be lifted and the Ragnarok slowed down as well. The galleon stopped right next to them, not ten meters away. Both ships came to a halt. The Ragnarok was in the complete shadow of the Equestrian galleon. Rainbow could see Royal Guards in golden light naval armor walking on the deck of the monster. One Royal Guard with purple armor and lots of blue plumage on his helmet stood erect next to the railing and addressed the crew of the brig.

"And who is this Gryphonian Brig on Equestrian waters?" He questioned harshly.

"This be the Raganrok captain, a ship that partakes with no faction." Zecroa answered.

"Would you be the captain of this ship, Zebran?" The Royal Captain asked with disdain.

"No, I am no captain, he is resting in his cabin."

"So be it. I hope you have kind intentions with such a ship. She is a marvelous one, I shall say. If you are not Gryphon, then we have no quarrel with you. Happy landings."

With that, the captain walked away from the railing and the galleon began to move again. The Ragnarok's sails also unfurled again and the ships departed their own way. Rainbow watched the galleon sail away. The stern of the ship was by far the most elaborate with large windows and lanterns. She saw that the ship still had cannons facing their direction with four cannons facing the back. She gulped.

"I hope we never have to face one of those."

"Maybe lass." A sailor told her. "Depends on what's she carrying. I think we can take her on."

"Why did they question us?" Rainbow asked the sailor.

"Oh, it's cause we're on a Gryphonian ship. Those blowhards hate anything that ain't Equestrian and so they want to sink every ship that gives them the wrong eye. So get used to them doing that."

"Rainbow!"

Rainbow looked to see Berry running to her. Her eyes were just as wide as her friend. She pointed at the galleon and squirmed.

"What....What was that thing?" She wailed.

"Pftt, greens." The sailor muttered.

Rainbow glared at him before answering Berry. "Just an Equestrian galleon. They're friendlies."

"Sometimes." The sailor muttered again.

"What does he mean?" Berry gestured at the man.

"Nothing. Just messin' with us greens." Rainbow told her.

Rainbow felt a wave of guilt hit her as she finished her words. Berry was still in the dark about it all. Caramel was not training her nor giving her such instructions like he did for Rainbow. The rainbow-haired girl rubbed her chin. The whole situation was still suspicious. Berry crossed her arms and looked at Rainbow with a frown. She had been becoming less talkative as the days without a drink grew. Rainbow finally motioned her to follow.

"Let's go to the bow. I need to talk to you."

"Alright." She responded reluctantly.

They quickly walked over to the front of the ship. Sailors went about their ways and generally ignored them. Though a few snarled at Rainbow. She turned her eyes away afraid from their angry glares, so as to not be aggravated by them. When they finally reached the bow, Rainbow leaned on the railing. The bow of the ship had a figurehead of a screeching gryphon. It was one of the indications that the ship was of Gryphonian make. Under it was a large hooked ram on the prow. Before, Rainbow thought it was just something to part the water, but now she new it was another weapon on the ship. Berry leaned on the railing opposite of Rainbow. The look on her face was less than pleased.

"How ya liking it so far?" Rainbow asked in an attempt to break the ice.

"Same. I'm gettin' better at the tying and the scrubbing. But, yeah, the same."

"Well, I hope this will improve it."

"What?"

"This is a pirate ship, so.....We're pirates." Rainbow tried to say it casually.

Berry only responded by opening her mouth and then closing it. She then shrugged and did nothing more. Rainbow blinked in surprise.

"Is that all ya gonna say?" Rainbow asked.

"Mmmyeah. I see no difference, as long as we get the bits, right?" She tried to sound optimistic.

"Yeah, but no worries or anything?" Rainbow was still surprised by the calmness of her friend.

"Naw, I guess we're pirates. Does this mean more drinking?"

"Uhh....I'm sure."

"Then I'm game." She said simply.

"Yeah, you better be, Berry, cause I think our 'cargo' is coming soon."

"Our cargo out here? There's nothing in sight except water and the occasional dolphin."

Rainbow rubbed her face. "Berry, we're pirates, that thing is gonna be on a ship. We have to take it."

Her face darkened. "Oh. Well then, I hope we survive."

"I do too, Berry, I do too."

~

Author's Note:

Lots of fun with this story so far.

I wonder which Element it's gonna be.....

Who even carries Elements anyway?