• Published 11th Nov 2014
  • 1,279 Views, 157 Comments

Under Loyalty's Flag - Gapeagle



With a drunk as her only friend, Rainbow Dash takes to the sea on a ship and crew she knows nothing about.

  • ...
2
 157
 1,279

Chapter 11: Always Sunny in...

"So you know about the Ragnarok?"

"Of course I do. It's the first thing you hear about when you land on this island. It seems like not knowing about the Ragnarok here is like not knowing who Empress Celestia is!"

Rainbow huffed in annoyance by Sunny's rudeness. She could see why the tavern avoided her. It was like speaking to Rarity, only worse somehow.

"So...." Rainbow swirled around the remaining amount of cider in her mug. "What'll you pay if we help you look for this egghead?"

"Egghead?" Sunny chuckled. "I'll have to remember that one for her. I hail from Canterlot. I have more than enough money to satisfy you rogues."

"But I must go back to Baltimare." She continued. "The Labyrinth Isles can't be where she's at."

"Well, let me talk with my captain about it."


"No! For Tartarus' sake no!"

"Why not?"

"Miss Dash! Look at her. I don't see an ounce of sanity in her." Caramel whispered through his teeth.

"Look who's talking!" Rainbow shot back.

"Good point." Caramel smiled, but then frowned again. "But look into her eyes. There's an ambition there that I only saw in one man before. And that was me father."

"That still doesn't mean we should hide in the bushes."

Caramel folded his arms stubbornly, making some of the leafs that surrounded them rattle. Rainbow and him returned their inspection on the red and yellow haired girl. Sunny was sitting on a barrel, absently swinging her hanging legs back and forth. Her hood was down, showing all of her intricate curls and highlights. A innocent grin was on her face, indicating that she knew very well that there were pirates watching her from a bush nearby.

"She's knows we're here." Rainbow grumbled.

"That also frightens me." Caramel commented. "I can sneak by even the most observant people.....Or you gave our position away."

"How?"

"Ya wearing that circus robe remember? Rainbow sashes? My ass..." He shook his head.

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "These are the best robes I've ever worn. I'll give that to Rarity, she can make some fine stuff."

"Pfft." He mumbled in return. "Ya don't know good robes from bad ones."

"I do too!"

"Nah..."

"Are you two married?" Sunny called to them with a cocked head. "Cause you sound like an old couple."

"Bitch seen us..." Caramel griped.

"I heard that too." Sunny said loudly. "You have the subtlety of a drunk walrus. No. I'll take that back. You have the subtlety of pirates, which means none at all. If you know....You couldn't figure it out." She trailed off awkwardly.

Rainbow stood up and jumped out of the bush. The captain kicked the dirt before following. Sunny just swung her legs some more as if she listening to a delightful tune in her head. Her greenish eyes slowly traveled from one face to the other.

"What's got ya here, Canterlotian?" Caramel grunted.

"Quite complicated." Sunny nodded. "Are you sure your brain can handle it?"

"C'mon Sunny. Do you have to be like that?" Rainbow asked.

"What? It's a legit question." She sighed when she saw their annoyed expressions. "Alright, alright. I'm surprised rainbow girl here didn't inform you. I'm looking for my friend and I believe she's in Baltimare. She was kidnapped you know. Since you guys have probably kidnapped many girls....and probably done worse to them, I would like you to take me there. I'll pay of course."

"My ship ain't some ferry." Caramel hissed. "And we're aren't like the pirates ya daddy and mommy told you about. No one gets 'napped by me or my lads unless she deserved it. The Ragnarok is a sovereign nation and she doesn't like taking orders from some teenager."

Sunny frowned. "I....I have to leave this place." She started to sorry anxiety in her voice. "I've here too long and no one wants to take me off of here. I get creepy looks and everyone smells of shit. I'll pay you anything, just get me off of here."

"Not much of a dealer, are ya lass?" Cararmel shook his head in disappointment. "And I was thinking you was special."

"I am!" She stood up. "More than you can believe! I am no doubt worth more than this entire island of filth. I don't care if you just take me and ransom me on the mainland! Alright? I need to get back to searching for my friend. If you aren't some lowly pirate that only cares for bosoms and rum, then please understand my plight!"

Caramel only replied with a deep stare. His eyes squinted at hers. Rainbow was feeling the tension between them and back up a couple of steps. Sunny returned the stare with one just as powerful. It lasted far too long for Rainbow's comfort, but to her relief, Caramel ended it with a sinister chuckle.

"Haha. So that's what's up with you. I guess I can take another on my sweet brig, but ya gotta help around as well. You're not royalty here, Canterlotian."

"Understood." A devilish grin appeared on her lips.

The two then had a rather firm handshake between them, grabbing more of their forearms than their hands. Once they were done, they both turned expectantly to Rainbow.

"So....It's a deal?" Rainbow croaked.

"Yes." Sunny answered slyly. "I can't wait to leave this place."

"Not so fast Miss Sun Beams." Caramel stopped her. "I still have important business here. I don't come here to enjoy the sunsets if you will."

With that, he stuffed his rugged hands into the pockets of his trousers and walked away. Rainbow blinked a couple of times in confusion. Sunny noticed this and rolled her eyes playfully.

"That....that was unlike him..." Rainbow observed.

"I already can tell he is one fascinating man." Sunny grinned. "Something is special about him, I can tell you that."

"Well, yeah. But he'll throw you for a wicked loop every once in a while."

"I hope so."

Then Rainbow watched her leave as well, going in the same direction as the captain. The young pirate wanted to follow, but was so bewildered by the past moment that she simply stood there almost in a daze. While she was trying to put two and two together, she wandered away from the barrel and went deeper into the village.


"Wait, Caramel actually agreed to this?"

"Yes, Neon."

Rainbow frowned in frustration at the veteran pirate that walked through the sandy paths with her. They passed a couple of gossiping women that were too occupied to step out of the "road" that they traversed. The village had no proper streets on even trails as it was more of just spaces between the huts.

"I don't believe it."

"You've said that already."

Neon spat in disgust. He had quite the bias towards Sunny, despite not even speaking a word to the girl. Rainbow could see this easily in him and did her best to digest his sayings without slapping him in return. Yes, Sunny was an intimidating specimen, all things considered, but Rainbow was content with Caramel's decision. He was their captain, they might as well trust him.

"You don't see anything wrong with this?" Neon asked quickly.

"Alright, it's weird, I'll give it that, but no need to react like this." Rainbow replied.

"Something's up. He's never done this before. Anyone who doesn't give him a first good impression is hated in his eyes ever since! It sounds like he's actually changed his views about someone. That's not like him at all..." He trailed off thoughtfully.

"Well, she ain't Assassin or Templar." Rainbow shrugged. "She's probably just some snobby Canterlotian that's feisty. He likes feisty girls right?"

"Of course he does. However, that doesn't play here. It doesn't seem right. No, he saw something in here that made him unusually happy. And keep it down about Assassins and whatnot!" He added with a whisper.

"Alright! You guys are more cautious here than in Baltimare..."

"That because we have no place to hide here." Neon explained. "Once either of those demonic factions find us here, we'll dead. No dealing, no running."

"Aw, what are ya saying?" Rainbow mocked. "We could take them all on! I mean, what do they have on us? We've whooped them how many times?"

"Not enough. And you haven't seen what they can do. Those Bearers? Just the tip, lass. Just the damn tip. Templars can change whole nations in a matter of decades. They're dangerous. That's why we try to stop them." He paused. "Even though our attacks hardly affect them at all."

"So what can they do?"

"Be watching us at this very moment. When you deal with such folks, don't expect to die peacefully. They'll stab you in the back...eventually."

This made Rainbow look to the roofs of the huts and shops. It was some desperate attempt to catch some stalker in their midst. She searched about, but did not even see a figure racing to hide away from her. Her heart started to ache terribly as she thought about it. Like a tugging at her chest and her eyes unfocused. The pain made her bend over and clutch her stomach.

"Gah..."

"Rainbow?" Neon gasped. "Are you hurt?"

"Nah....Guess I drank too much cider." She took a deep breath. "Just felt a little dizzy..."

"Maybe you should get something to eat. That usually helps me." Neon suggested.

"That'd be great."

Rainbow took another deep breath and stood upright again. Her head throbbed a little and her eyes burned. It's only stress, she thought. One more anxious look over her shoulder and she had concluded she was safe at the moment. She then stopped in her tracks. In her quick glance she spotted something she had not noticed before. Without lifting her feet, she turned around and stared at the astonishing sight before her. Her eyes followed the boot prints that her and Neon made in the sand, but there was a third set that was behind theirs. A print only slightly bigger than hers. And the person who made them walked with his or her feet in a straight line. The prints than ran off into the brush beside the path and it did not leave 15 feet away from where they were currently standing.

"Neon..." Rainbow gulped. "Someone was right behind us..."

~

Author's Note:

If you wondered about Rainbow and Rarity's designs. Uhh....I did my best?