• Published 11th Nov 2014
  • 1,277 Views, 157 Comments

Under Loyalty's Flag - Gapeagle



With a drunk as her only friend, Rainbow Dash takes to the sea on a ship and crew she knows nothing about.

  • ...
2
 157
 1,277

Chapter 14: Caramel's Lesson

Four days went by since they captured Rarity. Caramel finished his transaction with Ferris (who now refers to himself as Ferris Hook-Hand), and they finished their preparations for departure. It was a brief and exciting visit to Sepulcher, but they had to leave once more. Their destination was back to Baltimare. From there, none knew. Like always, Caramel let the future plan for him.

It was one day out of Sepulcher as the Ragnarok headed north by northwest. The warm breezes gently pushed the brig onward and they went at a steady pace. Some of the crew were sad to leave their home, most were already back into their seafaring habits. With a cloudy sky above them, they sang their song with the constant waves.

Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Early in the morning

Shave his belly with a rusty razor
Shave his belly with a rusty razor
Shave his belly with a rusty razor
Early in the morning

Rainbow whistled along as she secured the sails. Seagulls chirped and yelled at her as they flew around the ship. The work was constant. Never a restful moment for a sailor on a ship. She was used to it all now, and she worked on without a complaint.

Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Early in the morning

Put him in the longboat until he's sober
Put him in the longboat until he's sober
Put him in the longboat until he's sober
Early in the morning

Berry's lazy voice could be heard off key from the rest of the sailors. She still had yet to memorize any of the songs they sung. Rainbow spied her cleaning the cannons. Berry loved being around the cannons more than anything, except the kitchen of course.

Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Early in the morning

Stick him in the scupper with a hosepipe on him
Stick him in the scupper with a hosepipe on him
Stick him in the scupper with a hosepipe on him
Early in the morning

Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Early in the morning

Neon was carrying supplies with a hop to his step. He had a bandaged face as he was slightly wounded during their fight with the Assassins. He appeared quite haunting with half of his face covered, but the other smiling half counterbalanced it.

Put him in the bed with the captain's daughter
Put him in the bed with the captain's daughter
Put him in the bed with the captain's daughter
Early in the morning

Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Early in the morning

Sunny was also helping the crew. Caramel made sure that she wasn't taking passage on their ship for free. Being a clear Canterlotian lady, she did not have much experience working on a ship. Her tasks were often menial and unimportant since she lacked any skills at knot tying. She did most without complaining, but the times she did whine made the crew annoyed with her.

That's what we do with a drunken sailor
That's what we do with a drunken sailor
That's what we do with a drunken sailor
Early in the morning

Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Early in the morning

Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Way hay and up she rises
Early in the morning

Captain Caramel steered the ship onward. His hand struck the wheel with the beat of the shanty. Zecora had her arms crossed like usual and stared outward to sea. She never joined in with the crew's merriment, but stayed vigilant at all times. She's just the person to balance out Caramel's unstructured behavior.

As the song finished, Caramel handed the wheel to Zecora. He then popped his knuckles out of habit and walked down from the poop deck. Rainbow noticed him walking towards her. As she finished tying down the ropes and messing with the rigging, she turned and gave a little salute to him.

"Heya, Cap'n. Need something?" she asked.

"Yeah, it's about the Bearer," he began while picking his teeth with a finger.

"She's been fine. Kinda keeping to herself since we put her in the Pit," Rainbow shrugged. "Why the sudden interest?"

"I jus' wanna make sure we keep her spirits up a bit. She's an Assassin, but she's a young lass. Not to mention the best looking creature I've laid eyes on. She's not like Silverspeed. We should, you know, keep her company."

"Do you want me to keep her company, or you?" Rainbow smiled and leaned on the railing. "It's hard to tell."

"You, Miss Dash. Go get some food for her."

Rainbow was unsure. "Uhh...You sure? She's kinda dangerous. Why not let Zecora do that like we have been?"

"Because you know her the best. You two already have some connection on, I can tell. I think she'll be the most comfortable with a lass half her size than with ol' bearded me."

"You had to say it like that, didn't ya?" Rainbow snarled.

"Oh yeah, forgot you were so sensitive to being a runt," he laughed.

"Fine! I'll go give her a snack, then I'll be back to kick your behind," Rainbow angrily whispered.

"I'll be waiting," he chuckled and turned away to speak with another crew member.

Rainbow threw down the rope she was holding and walked over to the hatch. Being a humid day, beneath the deck was thick with moisture in the air. The lamps hanging on the walls swung lightly back and forth with the ship. With a whistling tune, she picked up an apple they had gotten from Sepulcher. She playfully tossed it up as she walked towards the Pit.

She rounded the corner and there was the cell that held the Bearer of Generosity. Rarity was sitting on some large cushion that she must have summoned. Its bright red color clashed with the dull wood and even her own white robes. She was humming the shanty that the crew had been singing above. Rainbow was not sure if Rarity knew she was doing this.

"Hey Rares," Rainbow nervously spoke. "Uhh, got ya a snack."

Her sapphire eyes looked at Rainbow. "Hello, darling. I appreciate the gift."

Rainbow tossed the apple to her. The Bearer caught it, but did not eat it. Instead, she rubbed it with a clean sleeve and checked it for any impurities. Her face turned into a frown and she tossed the apple back.

"It has quite the brown spot on it. Could you find me a different one?" she said sweetly.

"No. This is the apple you're getting. Be happy you have any fruit at all," Rainbow said and tossed it back.

"Hmph! Why did I even ask?" she huffed as she caught it again, and once again did not eat it.

"So, uh...how ya liking the Ragnarok?" Rainbow asked and rubbed the back of her head.

"It's terrible really. Silverspeed's ship was so much nicer, even Applejack's little vessel was kept better than this. I mean, it's not horrible. At least that, right?"

"Right..."

"Oh, you were right when you said there are things worse than rats. It's you pirates and your incessant snoring! Throughout the night, the ship is one giant symphony of the most horrendous snoring I have ever heard. And I've heard Applejack's snoring!"

"Thanks..."

"And can Zecora only make soups? She's not bad at it, but a little variety is always welcomed. She's needs inspiration in her cooking, some little spark. Otherwise it's the same meal every day and night. How boring."

"Alright! I get it! You complain!"

Rarity stopped at Rainbow's loud interruption. She tossed the bruised apple away and then summoned a red delicious of her own. With that new apple, she bit into it elegantly and gently, trying her best to mess her perfect complexion.

"See? This is so weird!" Rainbow gestured at her. "I mean, look at this."

"I don't follow, darling."

"Don't you see it? You can summon anything ya want and you yet you're still in here. You've summoned cushions, wines, apples, and fragrances, but never any keys or weapons. You could summon a pistol and shoot me right now. Why don't you? You did the same when we fought. You had so many chances to cut my head off, but you didn't. You held yourself back, why?" Rainbow couldn't contain her frustration at Rarity's seemingly incompetent actions.

"Escaping? Why didn't I think of that?" Rarity gasped loudly.

"Rares, that acting is terrible," Rainbow deadpanned.

Rarity sighed. "Oh fine! I will not tell you why."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want to."

"Why don't you?"

"Because I don't."

"Ugh!" Rainbow went to her knees. "But I know I'm onto you. You're keeping some secret from me. It's like you want to be here."

"By the Sun! I would never want to be here. To be within shouting distance of Caramel is disgusting in its own right."

Rainbow pressed herself on the bars. "Then why don't you try to escape or do anything for that matter?"

"Rainbow, where am I going to go?" Rarity asked. "I cannot swim miles towards land. I'm stuck here and I rather not risk fighting a hundred ruffians on my own. I am a good fighter and a Bearer, but even I am not invincible."

"Then why should we even keep you in the cell?" Rainbow sat back.

"That's a good question, darling. Maybe you should tell your captain that I am no threat to you pirates at the moment. If it means that I shall not be kept up in this horrid prison and allowed to roam in the clean air, I shall be on my best behavior. Perhaps I can even teach your buffoons a thing or two about manners."

"Ha! Ya gonna teach ya noble life stuff? Ha! Ya kiddin' right?" Rainbow laughed.

"It's not pronounced 'ya' you vagrant. It's pronounced 'you' like the letter. You should enunciate your words better, my dear."

Rainbow's laughter instantly left her. Rarity gave her a mocking grin that just taunted the young pirate. Two could play at this. Rainbow took a deep breath and gave the Bearer a sly smile.

"If that's the case I hope you like it here, Miss Rarity. You're not leaving this spot for months."

"You wouldn't dare leave a prisoner here for that long..."

Rainbow casually shrugged. "Wouldn't be the first time."

Rarity leaned forward. "You fiends! I am a lady, not some chump you pick off of a galleon. Have some decency and treat me like the respected woman I am."

"Respect is earned, lass, not given. If ya want to be liked on this ship, ya better get rid of your prissiness. If ya gonna walk around like one of us, ya better work like one. Unless ya in here," she tapped the bars, "ya won't get a work-free ride."

"Hmph! I accept this challenge! You tell Caramel that I am willing to work for my little bit of freedom. However, I will not scrub the decks, clean out the dishes, prepare any food involving freshly caught fish, clean Caramel's quarters, clean any quarters, wipe down the cannons or mortars, deal with the rigging, or be Caramel's lap-warmer."

Rainbow blinked. "But...that's like everything."

"Precisely."

"Then what will you do?"

"Provide me with some time and I could make the crew a new set of clothes. I am a seamstress and you already wear some of my work."

Rainbow looked down at her own robes. She did like them. The crew would like new clothes. So she thought about it and then rubbed her chin.

"Fine. I'll go ask Caramel. Don't expect a 'yes' from him though."

"Of course. Just make it quick, any less time in this hole, the better."


"What?"

"She wants her freedom in exchange for making us clothes," Rainbow repeated.

Caramel rubbed his head as he leaned on his desk. "Such an odd quest. She must have some other motive..."

"She can't leave, Captain. She said it herself, she won't try any funny business."

"She's a bloody Bearer, Miss Dash!" Caramel shook his head. "She could blow all out heads off for all I know. She could be a ticking bomb or a cannon ready to fire!"

"But you're the expert on Bearers here."

Caramel sighed. "Yes, but I'be never had one on my ship like this. I know Bearers, but I've never studied them. In all truth, lass, I really only know so much about them because of my father, not my own experiences."

"Then why did we even capture her?" Rainbow rolled her eyes.

Caramel leaned back. "How could I? Bearers are usually poor sods who got chosen against their will. She's...she's a masterpiece being controlled by that bloody Element. I...I can't kill her."

"Ya got a soft spot now?" Rainbow was shocked.

"I'm not some evil killer, Miss Dash and I hope you never think so!" Caramel shut her up. "However, I can't say the same about her. She could be the nicest little angel ever or she could be the most devilish being on this side of the seas. It's risky to let her roam about. Imagine if she starts picking us off one by one? Assassins can surprise ya sometimes. They can even amaze ya. I bet she could kill us all."

"So, we're not gonna let her free?"

Caramel rubbed his face in frustration. "I didn't say that, lass. I think we should take some advantage of her being a Bearer. Ya see, Miss Dash, some fools may not think it, but knowledge is power. The only reason we survive in this war is because we know both sides like the trousers we put on. Perhaps we can study Miss Rarity while she's on this ship. Learn how the Element behaves and such. If we can learn any tendencies of Bearers, it'll help us in the future. So, yes, we'll release her, but only for this afternoon. By evening, we'll put her back."

"Alright then. I'll go get her. Do ya want me to bring her right here?"

Caramel nodded. "Yes. Don't let her detour and tie her hands too. She must know we still mean business. Oh and don't let Sunny near her either. That girl has been acting even weirder since Rarity came aboard."

"Will do!"


Rainbow soon returned with a bound Rarity beside her. The Bearer was not thrilled about being tied up again, but Rainbow did a much better job with the ropes than the previous pirate. Caramel stood up when they entered. He seemed a bit nervous, but after running a hand through his hair, he composed himself.

"Hello, Bearer. I hope our treatment of ya hasn't been too rough."

"It could be worse, Captain," Rarity smiled. "However, it would be a joy to have these restraints removed. I bruise easily, Captain, and I would not like some rope burns on my wrists."

Rainbow extended her hidden blade. "I'll do it."

Caramel stopped her. "No, Miss Dash. Bearer, I'll cut the ropes for ya."

Rarity walked over to him and showed him her hands. He extended his own blade and sliced them in half. She rubbed her wrists to relieve the pain and then walked at arm's distance from him. It was clear that she did not want to be too close to the pirate.

"Now, Miss Rarity-" he began.

"Refer to me as Lady Rarity or Bearer Rarity, if you please," Rarity cut him off.

"Alright..." Caramel did not expect this, "Lady Rarity, why should we let you wander out of your cell? You are a prisoner of war, and a dangerous one at that. We won't let ya go about cause you have a pretty face. You must earn everything on this ship, nothing is given to you."

"Are you afraid of me?" Rarity sounded shock. "A big pirate captain like yourself being scared of a dainty woman like me? Ha! And thought there was some bravery to you despicable folk."

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "You know full well why we should be cautious. We aren't stupid."

"You have abilities beyond human comprehension," Caramel followed. "I will not risk my crew to whatever magic you can unfold."

"You're already at a risk, my dear captain," Rarity smirked. "Me being on this ship is the most dangerous part to your little vile quest. Holding me in a cell or shackling my wrists will not save you if I decide to let you have it."

"Ha! You think ya can trick me like some sod?" Caramel laughed. "If that was the case, you would have killed us all during the fight. Naw, you may be powerful, but ya ain't that powerful. When the tides turned against you, you gave up immediately. If ya did have so much power, then why did ya let yourself be captured?"

"This is my ship now!" Rarity shot back.

"No! This is my ship!" Caramel returned with twice the loudness. "And you are a prisoner! You will only be out of your cell when I say so. You will eat only when I say so. If I make you scrub the deck until it's spotless, you will do so! You are not Assassin royalty on this ship! If you want to be treated so vainly, then you better earn it, lass. If ya wanna be so bold to me, then I'll gladly make this Hell for you."

When he had finished, Rarity was backed up against a chest of drawers. She looked at him with frightened eyes while he pinned her down with his hands on both sides of her. He then leaned back and stepped away from her, stroking his brown beard.

"Now what do ya say?" he asked lowly.

"Yes, Captain," she didn't look at him.

"That's what I thought. Now, you will get plenty of time out of your cell. You are a Bearer, and I plan to use that. We got some days 'til we reach Baltimare, and we shall see each other everyday. During the mid-morning hours, I want you in here and we shall do some studying on that Element. After that, you can be with the crew and help them run the ship. However, you will be back in your cell when the sun starts dipping. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Captain," she repeated in the same manner.

Caramel nodded. "Good. Now go along, Bearer. And remember, if ya try anything, we will not hesitate to kill ya. You may think you're important to us, but ya not. We would gladly take Generosity and cast that thing to the sea. Would be a shame if the Brotherhood never had another Bearer of Generosity, hm?"

Rarity did not say anything as she got up off the floor. Still wide-eyed, she brushed Rainbow as she left the room. Rainbow was about to follow her, but furrowed her brows at the captain.

"Now why ya do that?" she demanded. "Ya scared her half to death."

"Miss Dash, she must know who she's dealin' with. No one, especially no murdering Assassin lass, is gonna come in here and treat me like that. When ya become captain someday, you'll understand," Caramel grunted.

Rainbow crossed her arms, but understood where Caramel was coming from. With a sigh, she nodded and followed the Bearer out of the Captain's Quarters. Guess I'll be the one to try and make her feel at home. Wait!

Rainbow stopped in the doorway and marched to Caramel. "Remember when I said I'll kick your behind?"

"What?" Caramel was confused.

"I meant it!"

Rainbow charged and kicked the unsuspecting captain right in the crotch. The usually tough pirate's knees buckled and a high-pitched wheeze left him. The captain had to lean on his desk to not fall over.

"That's not my ass, you moron!" he croaked.

"Not my fault you didn't turn around," Rainbow chuckled.

Caramel composed himself slightly and let out a stifled laugh. "Consider this the start of a war, Miss Dash. Ugh...hehehe...only you would have the balls to kick me in the balls! Haha! I like it! But I'm gonna need to get payback..."

Rainbow mockingly bowed. "Then I'll be waiting." She then turned on a heel and left the room for good.

~