• Published 27th Oct 2014
  • 7,279 Views, 169 Comments

Love or Power? Which Will You Choose? - atomicpuffin



What happens when two beings in power are supposed to get married but find themselves attracted to somepony else? Only one way to find out, as we watch what they choose...Love?or Power?

  • ...
24
 169
 7,279

Chapter Five

Flash walked into Discord's chambers the next morning, slightly agitated. He hadn't gotten much sleep the night before. He kept kicking himself for pulling away from her, he hadn't wanted to, it was just a matter of honor and duty.

Oh great...Why don't you tell her that? I'm sure that will make things all better!

Flash grumbled under his breath. Princess Twilight had refused to talk to him the rest of the way back to her room and had slammed into it without looking at him. He was clearly in trouble, but he didn't know how to fix things this time. He could clean up Discord's messes, but his own?

He sighed and walked through the door to the king's bedchambers. Flash never knocked and Discord didn't expect him to. He looked in and was surprised to see the king still in bed. He could see the lump under the covers and a scaly tail was hanging over the edge. Usually Discord was the first to rise, sometimes awakening before the sun rose.

Flash walked to the side of the bed and nudged the sleeping draconequus in the shoulder. Discord grumbled in his sleep, but only snuggled deeper into his pillows. Flash glared at the king and nudged him harder. This time Discord's arms shot out and grabbed Flash. The king rolled over and Flash tried to struggle away from the snuggly chimera, but the king brought him closer and mumbled.

"Fluttershy...your fur is the softest I've ever felt…"

Flash froze and looked at his king, then he got a wicked idea. A way to get revenge for last night, when he hadn't told Flash he had found the mare...for several hours.

Flash suppressed his laughter and reached out with his hoof. He stroked the king's cheek and it made Discord smile in his sleep. He mumbled,

"You see my dear...I knew you would see things my way…"

Flash grinned and leaned in putting his nose against Discord's. The chimera grinned wider in his sleep, a low rumble shook the king's chest.

"Now darling Fluttershy...shall I show you just how much I love you?"

Flash laughed as hard as he could and the sound stirred the king. One eye slowly opened and when it met Flash's eyes…

"What the hell!" Discord shouted jumping away from Flash and tumbling out of bed, tangled in sheets. He hit the floor with a grunt and Flash fell backwards on the bed holding his stomach. He laughed so hard he couldn't breathe, Discord glared at him and growled. Flash continued to laugh until he was levitated into the air, hanging upside down in front of the king's face.

"Care to explain…" Discord grumbled and Flash grinned at him.

"What? Did I interrupt something my king?"

Discord blushed and dropped Flash to the floor who started laughing again. Discord growled and went into the sitting room of his chamber where his desk was. Flash followed, still chuckling, and watched as Discord snapped his fingers and two cups of coffee appeared on the surface. Flash stopped laughing and looked at the steaming cup with longing. Then narrowed his eyes at Discord in suspicion.

Discord saw this and chuckled, sitting in his seat and indicated for Flash to do the same,

"Don't worry. I know how sacred your first cup is. I'm not stupid enough to mess with it twice in a lifetime...I might still have a couple scars."

The two friends laughed and Flash took his seat and picked up his 'sacred' cup of coffee. He took a drink and sighed in satisfaction, he looked over to the king to find him frowning into his own cup.

"Is everything alright my lord? I would have thought you'd be in a better mood this morning as you spent more time with Miss Fluttershy." Flash said and watched as Discord's frown deepened.

"It...didn't go as well as I had planned…" Discord mumbled into his cup and he drank the entire thing. He flinched and set down the empty glass and continued to frown. Flash raised his eyebrow and waited for the king to elaborate. Discord looked over and sighed, then told him about his conversation with the mare last night.

By the end of it Flash understood why his friend was so confused.

"You told her...everything...and she refused you? No not you...she refused to be queen?"


Discord stood up and began to pace around the room. He was stroking his goatee in thought and Flash sat silently drinking his coffee.

"I know I can still have her...if only I can convince her that she isn't beneath me. I see her as my equal, she's perfect in everyway. She'll be a great queen to my people, she's honest, caring, kind, beautiful, and the most fascinating mare I've ever…"

"Are you sure she returns your feelings? I don't wish to be cruel my lord, but the mare did run and I don't want to see you hurt more." Flash said interrupting Discord. Discord looked over at his friend and grinned,

"Oh I know she feels something for me, even if it's not love yet...it soon will be."

Flash raised his eyebrow at this and Discord only chuckled again. He didn't want to tell his captain about the mare's reaction to him, not entirely sure why? So instead he said,

"Trust me friend...she will be mine by the end of this. I just have to show her that my affections are not misplaced, but I don't know how." Discord frowned again. It was true, he knew he could win her if he tried. Problem though was that he might scare her away and he didn't want to chance that. He wanted her to love him back, but he wanted it to be natural...he didn't want to force her to love him.

The realization of that surprised him. Usually when he wanted something this badly he would use whatever force it took to obtain it. However with this mare's love...he wanted her to give him her heart willingly. He didn't want any tricks involved, at least none that could corrupt her decision. He wanted her more than anything, but he wanted her to need him just as much. He wanted to her to stay with him because she wanted to. Because she loved him just as desperately as he loved her. He realized suddenly…

I don't want a queen...I want a wife!

"Well then...what's the plan my lord?" Flash asked, bringing Discord out of his revelations. He looked at his captain, surprised to see the stallion smiling at him, as if he also realized Discord's inner thoughts. Discord shook his head to clear it and smiled at his friend.

"Same as before...only now, the rules have changed. I need to focus all my attention on this mare, which means I'll need you to be with Princess…"

"Um...stop right there...that may be a problem now...considering…" Flash said, turning his head away. A slight blush was creeping into his cheeks and it made Discord grin. He flew next to his friend,

"Oh? I thought you would jump at a chance to be with the pretty princess again. You were quite eager the last time, what makes this time any different?" Discord asked chuckling, but stopped laughing when he saw the look in his friend's eyes. Flash looked upset and hurt, the look put a stop to his teasing. He hated to see his friend upset, despite their strange relationship Flash was still the closest thing he would have to a brother.

"What happened?" Discord whispered. Flash looked back up at his king and sighed,

"She tried to kiss me last night...and I pulled away." Flash mumbled and Discord stared at him shocked. He didn't know how to respond to that so he went with disbelief.

"What? Why would you pull away when a pretty mare tried to kiss you? Seriously Flash...I'm kind of on her side in this. Why did you deny what you clearly wanted too?"

Flash glared at him, but Discord could see that he knew Discord was right. He didn't say anything and it made Discord think further. Now he had two problems to fix, he couldn't allow his friend to continue to suffer. He snapped his fingers as an idea came to him. He never said he wouldn't trick another mare! He grinned at his friend who was staring at him with a small amount of suspicion in his eyes. Discord patted Flash on the head and laughed,

"Don't worry friend! I know exactly how I'm going to fix this… I've got the perfect plan, trust me."

"Whenever you say that I get twice as worried…" Flash mumbled.


Cadence and Rarity were quite amused as they lay on Twilight's bed and watched her pace about her room. She was mumbling under her breath and fuming, however she refused to tell any of them what had upset her so. Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkie were all laying on the other bed, also watching the mare pace.

However Fluttershy seemed to be distracted herself, Cadence sighed as she looked at the two mares. Since her magic was centered around love, she felt it was her royal duty to help those struggling with it. It was clear that these two mares desperately needed her help.

"Twilight calm down and tell us what's wrong." Cadence said in her calmest tone. It made the princess stop pacing, but she looked at her closed door worried. Rarity seemed to read her mind and smiled,

"Don't worry darling, Aunt Celestia is with mom in her study going over something to do with the kingdoms...I wasn't paying that much attention when mom told me. Point is, you don't have to worry about her overhearing you."

Twilight smiled and nodded, then flew to sit on the bed beside Cadence. The six mares faced each other in a small circle on the two beds. Twilight took a deep breath and told them about last night when she had gone looking for Fluttershy and ended up running into Flash. By the end of it her face was on fire, all the mares were giggling, except Fluttershy whose face was burning more so than Twilight's.

"Wait so you tried to kiss him and he pulled away?" Rarity said and Twilight nodded, frowning at the memory. She had been so humiliated when she realized she had been rejected.

"Well now sugar that doesn't mean he didn't want to?" Applejack tried to calm her friend down.

"No I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means?" Pinkie said and Twilight buried her face in her hooves. Cadence used her magic to throw a pillow at the mare and the rest laughed.

"I can't believe I did that…" Twilight mumbled, her face still buried. She felt a gentle hoof on her head and knew it was Cadence. The older mare was more like a sister to Twilight than a cousin. She was always there to calm her fears and to help her with any troubles she may have.

"Love is a confusing thing sweetie...no pony really understands what makes us do anything when under its power."

Twilight smiled a bit at that, the princess of love would know what she was talking about.

"Fluttershy...darling are you alright?" Rarity asked and all eyes turned to look at the yellow pegasus, who was shaking. She hid her face behind her mane, but they could still see the tears falling down her cheeks. Applejack brushed away the strands and turned the mare's face to them.

"Oh sugarcube...what's wrong?" Applejack whispered and Fluttershy shut her eyes shaking her head.

"I'm...I'm fine…" She whispered, but none of them believed her. Cadence looked the most concerned. She spoke softly to the pegasus,

"Fluttershy...is it...is it the king?"

Fluttershy gasped and looked up at the princess. They were all deeply worried when they noticed the fear flash through her teal orbs. Twilight suddenly grew angry at the thought that the king had hurt her best friend.

"Fluttershy did he...did he hurt you? He hasn't...tried to force himself on you has he?" Twilight asked. Normally such a question would be strange, but she'd had to get rid of several guards who had tried just that with the mare...after Rainbow had beat the crap out of them. Fluttershy's natural beauty attracted a lot of attention and because of her status many believed she was easy prey.

Fluttershy however gasped and glared at Twilight, as if the idea was unheard of.

"Twilight, he would never do that! He's a gentlecolt inside and out! He would never force anything on me! When Discord kissed me last night I welcomed it and enjoyed it!" She covered her mouth in shock, she hadn't meant to say the last part out loud. All eyes widened and mouths fell open in shock.

None of them knew how to respond, until Cadence shouted with joy. The princess smiled at the pegasus and shouted,

"I knew it! I knew he was falling in love with you!"

Fluttershy blushed deeper and hid behind her mane again. The others looked at Cadence as if she had gone crazy. Twilight looked at her friend, who was looking even more distressed than before. If she had enjoyed the king's attentions as she said, why did she look so miserable?

There was a knock on the door before it opened and Queen Celestia came in smiling at all of them. Cadence noticed Fluttershy flinch slightly before bowing to the queen. The sight made the princess frown. Why did Fluttershy seem more nervous than usual around the alicorn?

"Hello my darling. Are you ready to go? The king has invited all of us to lunch in the gardens. He insist that we all go but…" She stopped and briefly looked at Fluttershy, again something that was not lost on Cadence.

"I told him that I was not sure all would be able to come."

Strange...what is going on with Aunt Tia?

Cadence thought as she watched Fluttershy visibly shrink down to the mattress. Twilight also noticed this, but misunderstood the mare's distress.

"Fluttershy are you...are you okay? You can stay behind and rest if you want...I know last night was…" She glanced at her mother quickly before turning back to her friend.

"Stressful and frightening, being lost in the gardens at night is quite the ordeal."

Fluttershy smiled gratefully at her friend for covering where she had really been last night. Fluttershy whispered and bowed to the queen,

"If...if it's alright with you…your majesty...I think some extra rest would be lovely."

The queen nodded and smiled, satisfied that the pegasus was going to listen to her advice from the night before.

"Of course...I think it's important that you keep up with your health. Twilight will need your help for the ball at the end of the week. It's going to be a very important event for her." Celestia said and the mares looked at her confused.

"Ball...what ball?" Rarity asked, her eyes glowing slightly. The others giggled, knowing that she loved formal events and was usually the one organizing them with her trusted partner, Pinkie helping.

"Yes. King Discord informed me and my sister this morning that he would want all of us to attend the Servants Ball at the end of this week. He also hinted that he would have a very important announcement on that night. I believe he intends to announce his choice of queen that night."

They all froze at this bit of news. No doubt that's exactly what he planned to do, but after hearing what Fluttershy had just said, they all knew he wasn't planning on choosing Twilight. At least they weren't completely sure…

As much as she loved Fluttershy, Twilight also knew the mare's status and that she wouldn't make a likely choice of queen. Which meant that the king was still planning on choosing another, while toying with the mare's feelings. She was suddenly determined to have a talk with the king and to tell him to leave her friend's heart alone.

"We'll be ready in a few minutes mother." Twilight said, forcing a smile onto her face. Celestia nodded and shot one last look at Fluttershy before leaving the room.


Discord watched as all the mares walked across the grass towards him. He looked down at Flash who was sitting at his side, the stallion was watching the purple princess. Failing horribly at hiding his longing, Discord nudged him and chuckled when his friend blushed.

"Welcome ladies! Please have a seat anywhere you choose, I have a special surprise for you!" He smiled at all of them as his eyes scanned for her. His smiled faltered for a split second when he realized the one mare he wanted to see was absent.

"Forgive me your highness...I know you wished to share this gift with all of us...but my maid was still feeling ill after last night. She sends her apologies and hopes you are not too upset." Celestia said as she sat down and indicated for Twilight to sit next to her, putting her right next to Discord. He nodded, but didn't respond, afraid that his tone would give him away. He wasn't pleased to note that Princess Fleur moved between him and Flash forcing herself next to him, sitting closer than was proper. She smiled seductively at him, but he turned away as his thoughts turned to the mare missing.

She's ill? Did last night really upset her that much or is she just avoiding me? I'll have to find a way to get her out of that room...especially after my dreams last night.

He felt his body warm as he remembered those heated dreams of the mare. She haunted his entire night and he had awoken several times panting and sweating. He felt his body stiffen with desire and a slight shiver raced through him as he remembered her sweet lips.

I'll deal with her later...for now...problem number two.

"Well I hope you are all in the mood for something sweet. I have invited a very special chef to bring some of his best treats for you lovely ladies. May I present Monsieur Fancy Pants." He held out his claws and the mares began to clap as the stallion came forward, using his magic to push a cart to them.

Discord noticed Luna's younger daughter stop clapping and blush at the sight of the handsome stallion.

"What have you brought me this time Monsieur? I always enjoy your creations!" Discord smiled at the chef, who bowed low to the king and blushed under the praise. Fancy Pants was one of the few ponies outside the castle to see the king. He had sworn to secrecy with the understanding that if he said anything he would lose one of his best and wealthiest clients.

"Your flattery is greatly appreciated your highness. I have brought some chocolate truffles for the young ladies."

Pinkie Pie's eyes grew wide at the mention of chocolate. Her friends laughed and waited as the unicorn floated a plate to each of them. When he went to set the plate in front of Princess Rarity their eyes met and both froze. Fancy Pants stared at the mare in awe and Rarity blushed deeper under the stare. They remained like that until Queen Luna cleared her throat. Fancy Pants raised his eyes and quickly turned away from the queen's cold stare, her protectiveness had won against another suitor. Only this time her daughter sent her a quick glare at the fact.

When all the plates were set and Fancy moved to leave Discord indicated for him to come closer. He whispered into the stallion's ear,

"I want you to create a special box of these. I want the best truffles you have ever made and I will pay you double what I normally do."

Fancy's eyes widened and he nodded before rushing off to create the special order. Knowing that this extra money would be great for his shop in town. He thanked the heavens again for the mistake in translation that had brought his carriage to Draconia. Especially now that he had met possibly the most beautiful mare he had ever seen.

Discord turned back to the mares as they bit into the special delicacies. All mares sighed in pleasure at the delicious treats. He was pleased to see that even Luna and Celestia closed their eyes in bliss. He smiled and looked down to the princess sitting next to him.

"Princess Twilight, how are you enjoying the truffles?"

"Oh they are delicious! I have read so many books about them and have always wanted to try them, but never found a chef who knew how to make them." She sighed in happiness and took another truffle off her plate.

"You should read a new book called 'Choclate is the Way to My Heart' it is a lovely tale…" Discord asked and Flash started choking on one of his truffles. Discord slapped his tail against his friend's back to dislodge the stuck piece. Flash took in a deep breath and rasped,

"I'm sure she isn't interested…"

Twilight glared at Flash and the sight made Discord chuckle again. She turned back to him and smiled,

"Do you happen to have it? I would love to borrow it if you wouldn't mind."

Discord grinned wider and Flash groaned, hiding his blush having realized where this was going. Discord smiled at his captain and thought,

Payback is a nasty sting my friend.

"Of course I have it...in fact I have all the books written by this author. He happens to be one of my favorites. His romances are just as good and thrilling as his mysteries are."

Twilight tilted her head in interest,

"Oh? It is rare indeed to find an author who can write two genres so well...most choose to stay in one that is comfortable. Who is this author, maybe I have heard of him?"

Flash sent his king a death glare and hissed under his breath, and Fleur being so close to Discord also heard it.

"Don't you dare…"

She frowned at the stallion then looked up at the king and noticed a wicked gleam in his eyes as he looked at his captain. Fleur realized the two were up to something and she wasn't sure if it would work alongside her plans.

Discord turned back to the princess and nodded,

"In fact yes...you have heard of him...and talked to him on several occasions. You are, in fact, currently sitting with him." He pointedly looked at Flash who put a hoof against his face and groaned. Twilight turned incredulous eyes to the stallion, he blushed deeper when she looked at him. She said, with a hint of awe in her voice,

"You...Captain...you're also an author?"

Flash groaned again and sent one more glare at Discord before turning to answer the princess.

"Yes and no Princess Twilight. It is a hobby of mine and every time I finish one of my works, King Discord uses his magic to turn it into a book. Only a few have actually been copied and sent outside of Draconia, most sit inside the library you were in last night." By the end of it his face was on fire and Twilight was looking at him differently. Then she smiled and began to hop up and down.

"Oh please let me read some! I love to meet new authors and see all their creations! Oh my gosh! If there are some that are only here I have to read them now! Please show me them I have to see them I have to…" She stopped realizing all were staring at her with mixed reactions. Flash was glowing at the thought that she wanted to read his work, Discord was chuckling at the success of his plan, Fleur was grinning at the fact that she may have one less to compete with, and her mother was frowning at her.

She blushed and cleared her throat then turned to the king,

"Um...that is...if you will allow me to read them your majesty...I would like to start with the one you suggested."

"NO!" Flash shouted and then blushed when all turned to him. He hung his head and said,

"Forgive me your highness...I did not mean to shout. It was out of line but...well...that particular book isn't...it's not finished."

"Nonsense...you gave it to me yesterday and I transformed it into reading material. I have to say it is definitely your best work my friend."

"I didn't give it to you...you took it from my desk and read it...I planned on changing the ending." Flash growled at the king through clenched teeth. Discord waved his paw dismissively,

"No, I like the ending as it is. Besides I have already put it in my library so there's no point in hunting it down and changing it back."

"You've what! But...but…no you can't...I have to get that book!" Flash shouted, shooting into the air and taking off towards the castle. The mares stared after him in wonder and Cadence turned back to the king and asked,

"Is it really that bad?"

Discord's grin widened and he looked down at Princess Twilight,

"I don't know...why don't you tell me?" He pulled his tail from behind his back and dropped the book into her hooves. She smiled as she saw it was the one he had said, the one Flash was currently intent on finding and hiding. She smiled up at the king and he winked at her.


Twilight and her friends were sitting on the second bed in Cadence's and Rarity's room. Cadence was sitting on the other bed facing them and reading the novel out loud. They had decided to read the book after dinner, each one having a hard time not giggling at Flash's pouting face. He must have realized that the king had hidden the novel, or worse given it to them as he had.

Now as Cadence's voice soothed out the beautiful words all six mares, yes six, they had convinced Rainbow to join them. Even though she had been dragged in kicking and screaming, she was now leaning in just as the others were.

"Dashing ran faster and faster determined to stop Jewel from leaving...he had to let her know the truth. He had to tell her he loved her." Cadence said and all of the mares sighed. Cadence smiled at Twilight, wondering if the mare saw in the story what she did.

"He could see the carriage carrying her away in the distance. He shouted her name 'Jewel! Wait!' It was no use though, the carriage was too far away and only getting further."

Cadence stopped having reached the end of the chapter and set the book down to take a break. She smiled in thanks when Applejack handed her a glass of warm tea.

Fluttershy sniffled and Rarity passed her a tissue to wipe her eyes.

"Oh poor Dashing...he told her he didn't love her, why would he lie to her like that?" Rarity said as she wiped her eyes again.

"But...he did it to protect her. After all he's just a country stallion and she's the daughter of the Baron. He understood how things work in society." Rainbow said and received a glare from Rarity.

"I don't think it should matter your status. Love is love! Like chocolate cake, it's for everypony!" Pinkie shouted and licked her lips. The others laughed at a typical Pinkie saying. While it was silly and made you laugh, it was also very insightful and made you think deeper about it .

Twilight looked at the book and thought about the stallion that had written it. Flash was very talented and she wondered why he hadn't wanted her to read it?

"Well my throat feels better, shall I continue or…"

"Yes!" They all shouted and laughed. Cadence smiled and used her magic to bring the book to her again and turned to where she had left off.

"Alright let's see...ah here we are. Dashing knew it wasn't hopeless, that all was not lost…"


Discord sat at his piano and played a gentle tune. One that deeply reminded him of his darling Fluttershy. He looked at the box of truffles that Monsieur Fancy Pants had dropped off. He smiled thinking about how he would present the treats to the mare. She would be surprised, that was sure, he just hoped she accepted them. He closed his eyes and let his mind dream of what could happen.

He would take her into his arms, feeling her body shiver against his. He would enjoy tasting her sweet lips again. Maybe this time he would be able to taste more of her. He grinned at the idea and his fingers moved against the keys with more intensity as he thought of unleashing his built up passions.

The door banged against the wall, quickly shattering Discord's imaginings and he turned growling. Flash was standing in the doorway glaring at him. Discord grinned and stood up from the bench.

"Ah Flash what can I…"

He was knocked back as Flash flew at him. He landed on his back with the stallion above him glaring.

"Where is it?! I have torn every room apart! Where the hell did you put it?" Flash shouted and Discord grinned wider, knowing exactly what the captain was so distressed over.

"Oh in a place where it will be greatly appreciated." Discord chuckled and Flash noticeably paled. Then he whispered,

"You didn't...please tell me you didn't…"

"I can't, because I did." Discord laughed as he pushed Flash off of him. He stood up and brushed himself off. He looked down at his captain and the stallion was standing there, still as stone. Discord rolled his eyes and patted his friend on the back. Then he moved to the piano again and picked up the box of truffles.

"If you're so worried...why don't you go with me to pick it up? I have a special delivery to make anyways, you could always tag along." Discord grinned at his friend again and the captain looked back. He glared at the chimera and growled,

"If you have made me a laughing stock amongst those mares...I swear Discord...you can find yourself a new captain." Flash walked ahead of Discord, who looked no less worried. He knew his plan would prove to be a success, Princess Twilight was a bookworm. Show her another kindred spirit and she would see it, Discord planned to make Twilight forget Flash's mistake last night by giving her the book. Which only an idiot wouldn't be able to see was Flash's heart on a page.

"Don't worry friend...I have the utmost confidence that all will turn out as planned." Discord chuckled, following his friend down the hallway. As they reached the door, he noticed that his friend was shaking, slightly nervous. Discord placed his paw on top of his friend's head and grinned down in support. Flash couldn't help but smile and nodded.

Discord raised the same paw and knocked. There was a definite hush, then the door opened and Applejack bowed backing away. Discord smiled and walked around the door and looked for the rest of the mares. Applejack noticed this and nodded her head to the room. She trotted ahead of them as they entered, he felt his own heart beat faster.

When he walked through the door his eyes instantly went to hers. He smiled at the reminder of how beautiful she was. She blushed when she saw it was him and hid behind her mane, the action was too adorable and Discord chuckled.

"Good evening ladies. I take it that you are enjoying the read?" He bowed and asked indicating towards Cadence who was still levitating the book in front of her. All the mares, except Fluttershy who chose to continue to hide, nodded.

"It's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard!" Princess Rarity said, wiping away her tears. He chuckled and looked behind him, and frowned confused when he didn't see Flash behind him. The coward was still standing outside the door, so Discord decided to get the truth for him now.

"What about you Princess Twilight, after all it was you who showed the most interest in it?"

Twilight looked at the book happily and sighed,

"It is the perfect mix of drama and romance. I'm loving it even though I haven't reached the ending. I'm hoping that Jewel sees what Dashing has done and goes back to him. No matter the difference in their status, they really do love each other and deserve to be together. They're love is true and I hope Jewel sees this."

"He hopes you do too." Discord muttered looking at Fluttershy again.

"What?" Twilight asked confused and he waved his paw, shaking his head. He smiled and glanced behind him.

"Well maybe you lovely ladies would like to give the praise to the one who deserves it. Captain?"

Flash growled at having been pointed out, but came into the room obediently. He bowed and muttered,

"My lord?"

His head shot up though when all the mares started applauding. They were all smiling at him as they clapped and it made him blush a bright red.

"Oh Captain Flash this is the most charming tale I have ever had the pleasure of reading!" Cadence said as she smiled sweetly at him. She winked and said,

"I really enjoy the romance between Jewel and Dashing…"

He flushed deeper, realizing the princess knew exactly what the story was about. Discord chuckled and patted his friend's head again. Then he turned to the other reason he was there.

"Miss Fluttershy...I was so sorry to hear you weren't feeling well enough to come to the picnic. I would hate for a pretty thing like you to miss out on such a rare treat, so I had the chef make a special batch...all for you." He said as he moved closer, he bowed to her and held out the box of truffles. She blushed crimson when she met his eyes and he grinned. She took the box with shaking hooves and he reached out to take one making her squeak in surprise.

Then with all the other mares watching he bent and placed a kiss on her hoof. She took in a deep breath and he smiled at her, whispering in his most charming voice.

"I hope you are feeling better my darling...I would love it if you could join me tomorrow for another stroll through my gardens?"

Fluttershy froze and opened her mouth to answer but nothing came out. Discord continued to stay there with her hoof in his hand waiting for her response. He was starting to think that this may not go as planned.

"Um...well...I don't think…" She began and his spirits sank. Then he was saved as Princess Cadence and Princess Rarity shouted,

"She'll be there!"

He grinned wider and kissed her hoof again,

"I look forward to it my dear." He stood up and bowed to all the ladies again. When he turned to leave he slapped Flash in the back of the head with his tail. Flash growled, but got the king's meaning when he looked into Discord's eyes. He cleared his throat and looked at Princess Twilight.

"Um...Princess...if you...if you like this one so much...I can...I can help you find the others tomorrow? If you wish it your highness."

Twilight frowned and started to object when Rarity's hoof covered her mouth and again her and her sister answered for the mare.

"She'd love to!"

Flash blushed, but nodded and followed his king out. When they were in the hallway Flash flew up and kicked Discord in the side. Discord howled in pain and grabbed his side, glaring at the pony.

"What the hell was that for?" He growled and Flash narrowed his eyes at him.

"You know what that was for. Why did you give her that damn novel? You know I didn't plan on turning it into an actual novel! Now look at what happened…"

"Yes Flash...what happened? Did you or did you not just win a second chance with the princess? " Discord grinned again and rubbed his side, wincing slightly, he had kicked him pretty hard...luckily Discord healed quickly. Flash stopped when he thought about it and Discord knew his friend would realize what had just happened. How he actually owed Discord a thank you.

"You...you planned this...all of this? Even me asking her to…"

"Finally catching up huh kid." Discord wrapped his arm around his friend and moved him over to one of the windows.

"Indeed. You may be my better in many things Flash, but when it comes to subtle manipulation I will always win! I am the King of Mind Games...and no pony can ever resist my talents." He laughed at the shocked look on Flash's face. Then the stallion shook his head and joined in the laughter,

"I don't know if you're mad or brilliant!"

"Maybe I'm just brilliantly mad!?" Discord said and the two continued to laugh. Once again their strong friendship helping them in the end.


"What did you just do?" Twilight shouted once the king and Flash had left and Rarity had removed her hoof. Rarity and Cadence smiled at their cousin and shrugged. Twilight shouted in frustration and buried her head under a pillow. Rainbow was the next to speak up as she went to leave,

"You two may have just caused more trouble than you know." She shook her head and walked out. Cadence called after the mare,

"Don't you want to know what happens to Jewel and Dashing? We only have one more chapter!"

There was a long pause and then the mare walked back in head held high, eyes closed and a bright blush to her cheeks.

"I'm only staying to help my distressed princess with the problem you two have just given her." Rainbow said and all of them stared at her, even Twilight peeked out from under the pillow smiling at the embarrassed mare.

"Pig Feathers…" Applejack coughed into her hoof and it caused all of them to laugh. Rainbow glared at them and tried to get things back on topic.

"Seriously though princesses, why did you not only volunteer Twilight to go with the captain, but also Fluttershy with that beast?"

They gasped at the word and Fluttershy even frowned at her friend. She gave Rainbow a stern look and said,

"I appreciate your concern friend...but you shouldn't talk about him like that. He's nothing but a gentlecolt. He's been very kind to me..." She whispered as she stroked the box of treats. Twilight looked out further from under her pillow and stared at her friend worried.

"So...so you're okay with going with him? I can make an excuse for you tomorrow if you want?"

"No Twilight...this is something that Fluttershy has to deal with, right dear." Cadence spoke softly to the mare. Fluttershy looked up at the princess and sighed, nodding.

"But Cadence…" Twilight tried to say, but Cadence placed a gentle hoof on her cousin's shoulder and smiled. She then reminded all of them who she was with what she said next.

"Twilight...both you and Fluttershy are going through the same thing right now. You will each have to work through these troubles on your own. None of us will be able to make a decision for you. This is one decision in which you have to listen to your heart over your head."

Twilight and Fluttershy both frowned and Cadence hoped they listened to her. She didn't want to tell them, but the negative auras they were both sporting was weakening her own magic. Her magic thrived on love and passion, but shriveled under lost love and broken hearts. At the moment, both mares were so confused in their feelings that it was giving poor Cadence a headache. Cadence smiled and turned the page on the book and said,

"Well let's finish this chapter then and see how the two lovers fair. I hope that this story has a happy ending." She wasn't just talking about the book either.

Both mares that would have to deal with their confusing hearts had one last thought.

Fluttershy thought to herself,

I have to make Discord understand...I have to make sure he knows we can't be together. That even though my heart foolishly wants him it can never be. That I can never be his queen because just like Dashing I'm too far beneath him...even if that means lying to him just as Dashing did…but...that hadn't turned out so good for him? Maybe...maybe for just a little while I should be like Jewel...and pretend status doesn't matter? Yes, maybe for this week alone...I can give into my love and enjoy the time I have with Discord.

At the same time Twilight was thinking,

Even if I give into what my heart wants it will never come true. Just like Jewel, I have responsibilities that have to be met. I can't run away from them just because my heart was foolish enough to fall in love with a stallion it can't have. Mother would react far worse than Jewel's father had if she found out I was chasing after a common stallion...but...what if...just like Jewel...I can pretend for just a little while? Yes maybe I will enjoy this small bit of freedom for as long as I can.

After both had finished settling their inner turmoil, and both having come to the conclusion that for now...as long as it lasted. They would pretend to be someone else and they would enjoy being with the ones their hearts wanted. Now the only catch was...

Mother/Celestia can't find out…


Fleur was walking into her room humming to herself. She no longer had to worry about the king. The beast would choose her now that it was obvious Princess Twilight was interested in his captain. Based on the fact that the king seemed to be encouraging this meant he wasn't interested in Twilight anymore.

She smiled as she got into bed for a refreshing night of rest. She thought of the king and how he had seemed pleased to have her near him. When she had sat so close to him, she had felt him stiffen and then his eyes had gotten a far away look. She also noticed something close to desire flash in them and he had shivered. Yes, she was winning over the king and she may be able to accomplish her goals without having to let the beast touch her.

"Everything is going according to plan then?" Blueblood came into the room and grinned at her. She smiled at him and decided to drop the guise while they were alone.

"Yes my pet...everything is going perfectly." She purred and her eyes flashed a quick green before returning to their normal lavender. Blueblood grinned wider then looked at the door.

"Do you think any of them suspect us?"

She laughed at this and shook her head,

"Nonsense, no one suspects anything. I doubt the queen has even noticed we're missing." Fleur giggled at this, but Blueblood came over to her and covered her mouth, glaring.

"Do not jinx such things you fool. The last thing we want is for her to realize what we're doing!"

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Fleur slapped his hoof away and then grinned,

"She'll never figure it out until it's too late...the fool has ruined our kingdom with her attempts to take Equestria. It's because of her that we are dying out, well no more. I'm done taking her orders...I thought you were too." She purred, running her tongue along his throat. Blueblood shivered and glared down at her.

"Do not think you can distract me...you know as well as I do that…" He hissed and his eyes flashed green as she nipped his throat. She grinned again and licked her lips which made him growl.

"You are a temptress...but it's what I love about you." He grinned and kissed her. She purred again and returned the kiss. He ran his hoof along her body and she shivered, then he pulled away and growled at her.

"I meant what I said before, he doesn't touch you...understand me witch?" He hissed at her again as he moved behind her. She pouted back at him and shook her flank slightly.

"Of course my love...you know you're the only one I desire...the king is merely my pawn to take the kingdom that my mother denies me." She hissed, anger making her eyes turn back to their original green, with the red slits. The sight made his blood race and he grinned at her. He hissed low as he moved closer, still in his pony form,

"All hail our queen...Black Widow…"

Author's Note:

Yea I know, I'm sorry to drag you through all that with Fleur to have it not be her. Trust me though there's a reason for this later on. Hope you are still enjoying the story!