• Published 27th Oct 2014
  • 7,275 Views, 169 Comments

Love or Power? Which Will You Choose? - atomicpuffin



What happens when two beings in power are supposed to get married but find themselves attracted to somepony else? Only one way to find out, as we watch what they choose...Love?or Power?

  • ...
24
 169
 7,275

Chapter Two

Author's Note:

Okay chapter two, I hope you are all enjoying this story. Please feel free to let me know in the comments below, also any questions you may have feel free to ask. Oh I should point out in my story, something I forgot to do on fanfiction, in the story the ponies wear clothes...I know not a big deal, but it's so things don't get confused later on.

Oh and I know that I saw arms when ponies don't have arms, I apologize now for this as I also refer to other body parts they don't have later. Trying to write in actual equine anatomy made my brain hurt so I chose to opt out...I know I'm sorry, but can't change the way this thing works lol.
Also, later in my chapters things get heated, nothing deserving of an 'M' rating, but if you don't like that sort of stuff it is always marked with an 'XOXOXO' at the beginning and end.

Twilight sat in front of a mirror as Fluttershy ran a brush through her hair. Although she could just use her magic to do it, Fluttershy insisted on the task. Besides, Fluttershy had such gentle hooves that Twilight never felt the knots being pulled apart.

There was a knock at the door and Fluttershy put down the brush and went to answer. She opened it slowly and then opened it all the way looking around the hallway confused.

"Who is it Flutters?" Twilight asked looking at the pegasus in the mirror a bit worried. Fluttershy shut the door and turned around holding a single rose. It was beautiful and Twilight came over to get a closer look. It was a rather odd little flower. It was a soft shade of teal and smelled sweeter than any other flower she had ever seen. There was a note tied around the stem and Twilight used her magic to bring it up to her.

"Thank you...That's all it says? No signature and no other explanation? It doesn't even say who it's for?" She said slightly annoyed, she looked at Fluttershy who was stroking the petals. Fluttershy had a strange look in her eyes then she looked up and placed the flower behind Twilight's ear.

"It must be for you...after all you are the princess. I bet King D-Discord left it here for you…"

The thought should have made her happy, but it only made Twilight cringe. Although...there was the possibility that it was from…

She shook her head and sighed. It didn't really matter who it was from, it was a beautiful gift and she appreciated it no matter what. Celestia came in and noticed the rose right away. She smiled and nodded at her daughter.

"It's time to get ready for dinner my darling. Go put on your blue dress, the one with the silver stars."

Twilight nodded and Fluttershy followed her into the room to help her into the gown. Once she was fully ready to go she started to feel sick. She knew what she was supposed to do, but how was she supposed to...to...flirtwith him? She groaned and Fluttershy gave her a comforting hug. She smiled at the pegasus and whispered,

"I wish I could have you by my side, Fluttershy how am I going to do this?" She asked in a panic and Fluttershy looked worried. Then her expression changed, she smiled softly and said,

"I don't think it'll be as bad as you think. After all, look at the rose...I think he's not as bad as we thought. Maybe...maybe he just needs a chance?" Fluttershy looked away at this as if thinking further on the subject and Twilight gave her another hug.

"This...this is why we're best friends...you always know just what to say to calm me down. Thank you." Twilight turned and followed her mother out the room.

Fluttershy looked over at herself in the mirror and sighed thinking.

You're being foolish again...why would it have been for you?


Discord stood in the dining hall waiting. He didn't know why, but he was feeling nervous.

Had she appreciated his gift? Did she even realize it was from him? To thank her for what she had said?

"The ladies will be joining you soon. You should get rid of that expression and replace it with a happier one." Flash chuckled as he watched Discord pace slightly. Seeing the king look almost, nervous, was very amusing indeed. He couldn't remember once when the king hadn't been fully confident in anything.

Discord looked over at Flash and grinned, with a slight pleading sound he said,

"Are you sure you don't wish to join? I could use with another male at the table...Blueblood does not count."

Flash laughed and shook his head walking over to the king. He lightly punched Discord in the side and said over his shoulder.

"You know why I can't. This is for you to make a good impression on the princesses...which means you don't need any competition." Flash grinned back at Discord who laughed in response as the captain left the dining hall. He shook his head and checked the time. He still had a few minutes to himself and so walked over to the window with his hands behind his back.

He had to make sure tonight was perfect. He had to apologize for scaring them before, he couldn't mess things up. He needed a queen, it was vital to his kingdom that he find the perfect mare. He would have to choose one of these mares, otherwise the only other option was...he shivered at the thought of her. He would never marry her no matter how badly he needed a queen. She would only take his throne and power from him and make his life miserable...

More so than any other loveless marriage to one of these princesses?

A small voice whispered in his head. He sighed again, he knew it was the way it was meant to be. He would simply decide which of these mares would suit him well enough, and who he could at least form a friendship with. However, despite what Flash believed, he knew love was not going to play into this. This was a game, nothing more...a way to keep his power and to do what needed to be done.

The doors opened to grant his guests into the dining hall. He turned to the group of lovely ladies. He walked closer and smiled at all of them, he snapped his fingers and a single red rose was floating in front of each mare, including the queens.

"A small gift to show my sincere regret at having caused you any fright earlier." He said as he bowed low before them. When he raised his gaze, his eyes fell on one teal rose. He frowned at it, sitting in the purple princess' hair. He stood up and met her gaze, he mentally slapped himself. He hadn't written a name for the mare because he didn't know it and was too embarrassed to ask Flash for it.

The stallion would have taken it as another meaning than a thank you gift. He would have to find another way to tell that mare he appreciated her consideration of his feelings. He shook his head realizing every pony was staring at him. He clapped his hands and indicated that they make their way to the table.

He sat himself at the head of the small table, it would change size depending on how many guests it needed to seat. This way he could be close enough to his guest tonight and be able to hear all the conversation, if there was any.

He noticed that the same princess who had fainted and sneered at him was sitting at his right. He would have thought she'd want to be as far away from him as possible, but she surprised him further by giving him a sweet smile.

He gave her a small smile back and turned to see who would be sitting on his left. It was the same purple princess...he would have to try and remember their names.

Once every pony was seated he snapped his fingers and the table filled with food. Each of them had a simple salad in front of them to begin with and he said,

"Please enjoy...so my dear…" He decided to start with the mare of his left, she was rather pretty and being Celestia's daughter would make a fine queen. He had done some research on the mares, even if he hadn't taken the time to completely learn their names…

"I've heard that you enjoy reading. Is there anything in particular you prefer to read?" He asked as he smiled at her. She swallowed and looked over at her mother who nodded. Discord bit back the growl of annoyance. Did she need permission to talk to him?

"Oh well...no. I enjoy reading for knowledge as well as entertainment. My favorite series is Daring Do...have...have you...read them?" She averted her eyes and a swallowed again. He sighed, realizing right away how uncomfortable she was being forced to talk to him. He suddenly realized how bad of an idea this had all been, but he couldn't quit now.

"I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure my dear…"

"My daughter's name is Twilight your highness...I would appreciate it if you used it…" Celestia said before taking a sip of her wine, giving Discord a firm look. He chuckled at the older alicorn,

"Of course...I do apologize Princess Twilight. I have been without proper company for too long it seems and forgot my manners. Will you forgive me?" He decided to add a touch of heat to his eyes as he said this and the mare blushed before nodding. He smiled and wondered if perhaps she would make the best choice?

"Your majesty?" The mare on his right purred and it cause him to turn his gaze over. She was leaning slightly towards him a sweet smile on her face.

"I was hoping that tomorrow we could take a turn in your gardens. They are lovely. I remarked on it to my dear brother the minute we got here. Perhaps you can show me all the different roses you have?" She said with a small amount of heat in her eyes as they quickly flicked to the rose in Twilight's hair.

Discord chuckled again and took the mare's hoof in his paw. He felt her shiver slightly and it only made his grin widen. She couldn't fool him, he was the master of this game. He knew exactly what she was playing at, she had realized that no matter how he looked he was still very rich. He would indulge her for now, if only for his own amusements. He wondered how far she would take this charade before he had to put a stop to it? He lifted her hoof as if to kiss it again and she flinched, but he only whispered,

"If that is your wish." He dropped her hoof and returned to him meal enjoying the way she was trying not to look sick. She would prove very entertaining indeed. He turned to the other two princesses. The pink one was very pretty, possibly the prettiest of the princesses. He smiled at her, but before he could speak, Queen Luna spoke over him.

"I'm afraid tomorrow my daughters will be unable to accompany you my lord. Cadence is not feeling very well and Rarity is the only one who knows how to make her special herbal tea."

As a lie it was the worst he had ever heard...but he chose not to comment. He could read what Luna was really saying as well as her cold stare.

My daughters are off limits...I don't care how rich you are, I will not give one to a monster.

He sighed softly at the thought and turned back to Twilight.

"How about you princess? Care to take a turn in the gardens with me...we would be grateful for the extra company." He smiled and had to hold back a laugh at the face the other unicorn made, realizing her plan to get him alone had failed.

"Oh well I...I suppose I could...only um…" Twilight took a deep breath realizing she was sounding ridiculous stammering. She smiled up at him, hoping it seemed sincere.

"Could I bring my maid? She loves gardens and I know she would love a chance to take a tour of your lovely grounds."

"Of course...she is more than welcome. I shall do my best to answer any questions you ladies may have tomorrow. I am here to serve you…"

Discord looked down at the princess and smiled once again making her blush and the other fume. He realized that this dinner had been a success after all. He now had a firm idea of which princess he would most likely enjoy having around...all he had to do was win her over and they would deal well together. Yes he would grow to like this mare, he was making the right choice...

Then why did you get excited at the mention of her maid?


Twilight sighed as she rolled over again in her bed. She couldn't get her brain to shut down, thinking about dinner and what she had agreed to. She had felt bad bringing Fluttershy into it, really it had been a shielding mechanism and she had felt awful. Until Fluttershy's eyes had widened and glowed at the news, the mare really did love gardens and was really excited.

"Twilight...are you still awake? I thought I heard you groan...is everything okay?" Fluttershy's soft voice came from the other bed in the room. Twilight rolled over and used her magic to light the candle in their room.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you…" Twilight whispered, not sure if her mother was awake. That was one conversation she didn't want to have tonight. Her mother was pleased that the king seemed to be so interested in Twilight, however it still made her feel uncomfortable. She wasn't even sure she liked him, so the idea of marrying him still scared her.

"I'll go down to the kitchens and make you some tea. It will help you relax and you can get some rest." Fluttershy said, already getting out of bed to do just that. Twilight tried to stop her, but it was too late. The pegasus had made up her mind and was pulling on a light shall for the chill in the air.

"Relax Twilight, I'll go get that tea and then you can rest. After all you have a busy day tomorrow." Fluttershy smiled at her before closing the door and leaving Twilight to her confusing thoughts.

She flopped back on the bed and groaned. Tomorrow was the reason she wasn't getting any sleep. Thinking about it would only make things worse...although it might help?

She began to count off the good and bad points of the king...also of marrying him. She realized that there was an even number for both logically, but one bad point made it outweigh all the good points.

Being stuck in a loveless marriage…

Even though she was a future ruler, she had always hoped that she would still fall in love someday and marry that stallion. She wanted someone who saw her as more than a princess, a way to gain more land or power. However that wasn't how the real world worked and it depressed her. Knowing that fairy tales didn't come true, that things would play out exactly like her mother wanted...she would have to accept it.

She looked around and then at the clock realizing Fluttershy had been gone for too long.

"Oh no, I bet she got lost in this maze...I'll have to go find her." She got out of bed and lit her horn to see her way around. Thankful that her mother was a heavy sleeper and that she was able to leave without waking her.

Twilight made her way to what she hoped was the kitchens. Then after several twists and turns and still not coming across her friend she realized how foolish this had been. She sighed and lowered her head when a tap on her shoulder made her scream and fly into the air.

She looked down to see a laughing Flash Sentry, he was holding a flashlight in his mouth trying not to drop it in his laughter. She blushed and landed next to him again trying to think of a reason for being in the halls at night...alone. He put the flashlight in a saddle bag. She tried to say something to cover her reasons.

"Get lost searching for the kitchens?" Flash asked smiling and Twilight jumped. How did he?

"My king mentioned to me that you hadn't eaten much at dinner and I was to keep an eye out for you if you went searching. These halls are confusing for those that don't know them. Discord designed them that way to stop thieves."

She blinked at him, he had called his king by name without a title. Sure Fluttershy did that, but they were…

"You're his friend...not just his captain. Aren't you?" She asked what she had thought and Flash nodded. He bowed to her and said,

"Shall I escort you back to your room princess?" He asked and she started to nod then stopped.

"Actually I was looking for my maid. She went to make me some tea and I'm afraid she may have gotten lost as well."

"No worries princess I will search her out and make sure you both return to your beds...shall we?" He asked bowing and holding out his hoof. She nodded and began to walk beside him as he led the way back. She glanced over at him and wondered at the sudden increase in her heart rate. She always seemed to turn into...well sadly...Fluttershy, when she was around the stallion. She had never felt so shy before and it was a strange feeling she didn't know how to get rid of.

"Forgive me your majesty...I didn't really answer your question about me and Discord did I?" Flash looked over and smiled at her. The smile and the way it made his eyes sparkle made her blush. She wished, she wasn't lighting the way with her horn. It did a better job revealing her face than his light would have.

"Oh...well, if you don't mind telling me captain?" She asked, meeting his eyes and finding herself smiling back at him. He chuckled and said,

"Just call me Flash Sentry...or Flash, please princess. Well Discord may seem like a strange one and honestly you don't know the half of it. Ours is a strange story...and long so I'm afraid I'll only be able to tell you a small part of it."

She nodded and slightly slowed her pace, she wanted to hear this story. Maybe it would help her understand her possible, future husband…

Uh-huh keep telling yourself that's why you want to spend more time with...Flash…

"I was only a colt when my father, Midnight Sentry, started his service to Discord and…"

"Wait...what? Your father? But...how…" She stammered and stared at Flash trying to hide the horror at the realization that the king was far older than she had thought.

"Oh sorry princess...Discord is immortal, just like you and your family. Although I have a feeling he is even older than Queen Celestia...I'm not sure exactly how old he really is, never thought to ask?" He chuckled again and smiled at her. Even though she was juggling the thought of how much older Discord was, she still found herself smiling back. As if it were the most natural thing in the world, and right now...it did feel that way with Flash. He continued with his story,

"So I started coming to the castle with my father when I was finally old enough to join the reserves myself. I met Discord and unlike the other recruits I didn't flinch or scream in fear. Discord took notice to this right away and for the next week did everything he could to scare or startle me…"

"He tried to frighten you?" She asked confused, wondering why.

"I think it was because I was the first to stay calm around him. My father told me that he had nearly fainted when Discord suddenly appeared before him. So I think I confused him when I simple continued to salute to my king.

"Over that week I still didn't react except for a slight chuckle here and there. After that week ended Discord assigned me as his personal bodyguard. It was a huge honor and no pony but me knew it was just so he could try harder to frighten me away.

"After about a month he finally gave up and instead started talking to me about things he didn't share with any other pony, not even my father. I can only assume I earned his respect by showing no fear around him and he grew to trust my word and calm thinking. From there it became a friendship, we honestly enjoy each others company...he's got a good heart. Discord may be my king, but he will always be my brother first."

Twilight looked over at Flash and found that the story had changed her feelings...but unfortunately not about Discord. How could Flash have stayed so calm when a beast was purposely trying to frighten him off. She doubted even Rainbow Dash, who was the bravest pony in Canterlot, would last as long as Flash had.

Then for him to develop a friendship with the king and to sincerely call him his brother...that was so...sweet. Flash was a caring and level-headed stallion, no wonder the king valued his insights. Flash was the kind of guy that would make a beastly king feel comfortable and safe...or a princess...

"I'm happy that you two became friends...I'm sure it's made your job easier?" She asked him and he smiled, stopping in front of her door.

"Not even in the slightest...Discord may be my friend, but he is still a giant pain to deal with. He's stubborn and when he gets an idea into his head no pony can talk him out of it. Which usually leaves me to clean up after his messes...but it's an exciting life I suppose." The two of them laughed, it was the first time she had fully laughed since being there. It felt good and lifted her spirits a great deal. She opened her eyes to see Flash staring at her with a soft look in his eyes. She blushed and quickly opened the door to enter her rooms, in her haste she ran into the door frame.

"Ow...Oh! Um...if you could find my friend please...Flash...I would greatly appreciate it." She whispered and noticed how he perked up when she said his name. He bowed again and whispered,

"Of course, I'll begin searching for her at once and Rainbow Dash for that matter...why isn't she stationed at your door?" Flash asked looking around concerned. Twilight waved a hoof saying,

"There's no need to worry. She likes to go get some late night drills done at this time...she wouldn't expect us to leave our rooms now and usually there's another guard to take her place."

Flash nodded, but didn't seem to be any less worried. He bade her a quick goodnight and left in search of Fluttershy. Twilight shut the door, quickly ran to her bed and buried her burning face under the covers.

Oh Twilight! What are you thinking? You can't be doing this right now...you can't be attracted to another stallion when you're expected to marry someone else! But oh, how I'm starting to wish I wasn't...what would it be like to be loved by such a kind soul that could find a way to befriend a monster? Oh boy...did I just wish that Flash could love me? Oh no..I'm in trouble...


Discord sat at his favorite toy. He only used it when the castle was fast asleep, even Flash would be abed now and that made it the perfect time. He smiled as he ran his claw along the black surface. He lifted the lid and placed his fingers over the ivory keys. He started off slow, a smooth rhythm that seemed to make the night come alive. The grand piano made the music in his soul come to life, it was his escape from the rest of the world. It could share in his moods, whether that be joyful or sad.

He closed his eyes and thought of the day's events, the music started off sad and slow as he thought of the mares and how they had looked at him. Cold frightened stares that he had come to expect from others. The contempt in their eyes as they stared at the monster king.

The music picked up pace as his heart grew heavy with anger. Why was it that no pony ever saw anything, but his looks? He may be cursed to look like a monster, but did that really make him one? The music grew faster as he remembered all the screams in his life and all the shouts he had endured throughout his life. Many years before he had given up and created the kingdom he now ruled over. His own subjects didn't know what he looked like, he never held council meetings, except with Flash. Who was responsible for recording any problems among his kingdom. He was their shadow king...never coming into the light for them to see.

The music slowed back to a sorrowful tune. It was why he needed a queen, someone for the ponies to look to for hope. He would need a strong, kind, intelligent mare to help take care of his subjects. One who could learn to love his kingdom and who the ponies could love in return...for neither would ever love him.

He stopped playing and kept his eyes closed at the thought. He would never be loved, by a mare or even his subjects. Not real love...right now his subjects love him for he took care of them, but if they knew what he really was...All his good, kind actions would be turned into something ugly. Many would say he was only manipulating them or some other lie.

He sighed and opened his eyes as he slowly began to play again. The realization that his subjects needed a figure to love, is what had led him to finally finding a queen. He would do anything for those he was responsible for. So he would give them a queen to love...since they couldn't have him.

She felt bad for hurting your feelings...Flash's words suddenly played through his mind. Of their own accord his fingers began to change the tune. This time it slowly morphed into a song that seemed to speak of hope. His eyes closed as he tried to remember what she looked like.

The little yellow pegasus...Flash had told him her name was Fluttershy. He had grinned when Discord had asked him, however he had informed the stallion it was so he would be able to talk to her tomorrow. Neither of them actually believed that lie…

Discord opened his eyes and jumped back yelling off the bench. He landed on the floor and growled in annoyance.

"Oh my goodness! Please forgive me your majesty! I..I got lost and...I heard music and came to see...oh please forgive me I didn't mean to startle you!" Fluttershy said as she rushed to his side and helped him sit up. She was looking at him worried and Discord froze when he met her eyes. He didn't remember them being that deep a shade of teal…

"Are you okay your highness? Oh I can't believe I was so rude as to come in and not say anything...it's just that...well...um…" She blushed suddenly and hid her face behind her mane. Discord felt a small smile pull at his lips at how adorable she was. He flinched and rubbed his head drawing her attention back to him. She looked worried and without thinking about it she flew up and placed her hoof on his head.

Discord froze again at the soft touch. She was checking his head for injury, at least that's what he thought she was saying, he couldn't hear that well over the buzzing in his ears.

He cleared his throat and scooted away from her. He felt his cheeks warming as her eyes turned to stare down at him. He mumbled as he got to his feet,

"No need to worry about me my dear...I'll admit you startled me, but I assure you I'm perfectly fine."

If a heart rate of a twister is healthy...yeah you're great.

"Oh well...I'm still so sorry to have disturbed you your highness...it's just that well...like I said before I got lost...I heard the music and...and was going to come ask for directions back to my room...but...but...well...um...the music...it...it was...beautiful." She whispered in such a soft voice. It reminded him of the way a harp lulled one into peace, so smooth and caressing…

"It's no trouble my dear really...how about I take you back to your room then?" He smiled down at her and waited. She looked up at him then slowly she smiled back at him. It was such a gentle smile, one that didn't look forced at all. Her eyes seemed to sparkle in the soft light,

"Oh I would be so grateful your majesty." She bowed to him and he waved his paw as if it was nothing...and it really wasn't. He started to lift his claws to teleport them to her room and stopped. He didn't know why, but he wanted to walk her back.

He held out his arm for her to take and she looked up blushing.

"Come my dear...I shall escort you back myself." He smiled down at her and then decided to have some fun with her. He couldn't help, but mess with ponies, just to see what they did. He added some heat to his gaze and grinned wickedly.

"Unless...you would rather stay here with me longer...alone?"

He expected her to scream in anger, to flinch, to faint anything but what she did do…

"Oh could I!? I mean...I don't want to impose but...well you play so beautifully and…well it reminds me of my father to hear such beautiful music...could you...could you play something else if I stay? I promise I wont interrupt…"

For the third time in a matter of minutes this mare made him freeze in shock. She wanted to stay? He swallowed and not taking his eyes off her sat back at the piano. She looked around and he flashed in a stool for her to sit on. She smiled in thanks and sat down then stared at him expectantly. He could read the eagerness in her eyes and felt something tug inside him. He placed his fingers over the keys and decided to play a simple score. It was one he had learned shortly after discovering his love for the piano. He looked over to see her reaction and she seemed confused.

"Something wrong my dear?" He asked looking at her, still playing the score. She shook her head and hid behind her mane. She whispered so softly that he couldn't hear her over the piano so he stopped playing.

"Come again?"

She looked over and swallowed,

"Oh it's nothing...it's still pretty but...well...why aren't you playing with your heart like before?"

He flinched back and stared at her in surprise. She had understood what the music had meant? Just as she had noticed his hurt that morning. Who was this mare? What else could she see and why did he find himself wanting to know? He cleared his throat and ran his fingers over the keys lightly, looking away from her he avoided the question.

"So...your father plays?" He asked hoping to distract her. It seemed to work as her eyes lit up once more. She smiled, it was a sad, but loving smile and Discord knew what the answer was before she said it.

"He was a great musician...he would always play the piano for me when I was scared. Saying that if you let it the music could heal your heart...for it understood your pain better than any pony ever could."

"He was a wise stallion…" Discord chuckled and smiled at her. She returned the smile and nodded. He looked at the piano then back at her and asked,

"Do you play?"

She blushed and shook her head laughing. It was clear as a bell and the sound made his heart jump. He had never heard a mare laugh so pretty and so freely, at least not when they were near him.

"Oh no...I'm hopeless on the piano...or any instrument I'm afraid. Which is why I seek others who can play with such passion as you my lord...I know I have no right but...it's been a long time...since I heard my father's voice in the music…"

Her eyes started to mist with tears and he frowned. Something tugged at his heart and he found himself wanting to rid her of her sadness, he turned back to the piano and closed his eyes.

He let the emotions filling his heart flow into his fingers and slowly the music filled the room. He thought of the mare sitting next to him and chanced a peek at her, she was smiling again and her eyes were closed, lost in the music.

He closed his eyes again and found the music being played wasn't sad or angry as before, instead it was almost...happy. Peaceful, which is how he was feeling at the moment. He frowned as he opened his eyes to look at her again. She was making him feel relaxed and calm...something he rarely felt around another pony.

She was certainly a surprise and everything about her didn't make any sense. She was a pretty mare and yet she was sitting here calmly and listening to him play. She wanted to be there with him, she was just as calm and relaxed as if it didn't bother her that she was sitting next to a monster. He stopped playing and continued to stare at her a frown on his forehead. She sighed happily and opened her eyes to see him watching her. Her cheeks blushed and she smiled weakly at him, she flew off her stool and sat on the bench next to him. She reached out and placed her hoof over his claw smiling up at him.

Heavens above! This mare is determined to kill me from all these heart attacks!

"Thank you so much your majesty...that was so...it was just how he used to play...I can't thank you enough my lord."

He turned and flipped his claws over to hold her soft hoof in his palm, she didn't flinch at the touch and continued to smile up at him. He found himself returning her smile and lifted her hoof to his mouth, placing a soft kiss upon it. His smile widened when she blushed a deeper red.

"The pleasure was all mine my dear...and please...just call me Discord…"

What in high hay had possessed him to say that!? She nodded shyly and turned her face away. She whispered,

"I'm...I'm Fluttershy."

"Fluttershy...such a perfect name…" He purred and went to place another kiss on her hoof when the door opened again. Discord looked up and met Flash's eyes, he quickly jumped up and away from the mare. He cleared his throat and turned his back on them saying,

"Captain, please escort Miss Fluttershy back to her chambers…" He knew his cheeks were on fire and refused to let Flash see them. He would never hear the end of this as it was. He heard Flash say something to Fluttershy and she whispered an okay. He chanced a peek over his shoulder as she followed Flash out the door. She turned back too and their eyes met. She smiled and whispered, but still loud enough that he could hear.

"Thank you...Discord…" Then she disappeared.

He fell back on the bench and grabbed his chest. What was happening to him...his name...one word…

Yet when she had whispered it, the sound had shot straight through his chest and his heart had stopped for a second. He took in a deep breath and looked at the claw she had held. She had willingly placed her hoof on his strange hand...and she hadn't seemed disgusted? He felt his heart increase in speed again and growled in frustration and hissed at himself.

"Oh come on...what am I doing? Discord you can't be getting distracted like this...she's not what you're looking for. You need a queen for your people...something she could never be…so just forget all that happened right now. Forget everything about her!"

There was a sharp pain in his chest that made him suck in a breath.

Why did that hurt so much to say? It's not like I care about her?

He felt another sharp pain in his chest and frowned...no...it couldn't be.

Could it...could it be that...that I'm…but I just met her? How could…

He closed his eyes and instantly she was there, smiling up at him...laughing with pure joy and reaching out to take his claw in her hoof...Oh boy...

"I'm in trouble…" He said as he covered his eyes with his hands.