• Published 27th Oct 2014
  • 7,278 Views, 169 Comments

Love or Power? Which Will You Choose? - atomicpuffin



What happens when two beings in power are supposed to get married but find themselves attracted to somepony else? Only one way to find out, as we watch what they choose...Love?or Power?

  • ...
24
 169
 7,278

Chapter Three

Discord looked at himself in the mirror adjusting the coat jacket he had decided to wear for the garden tour. He grunted and turned his head to the side, then grinned at his reflection.

"Oh yes this will impress her nicely…"

"Oh? Impress who my lord?" Flash chuckled as he came into the king's chambers. Discord turned around and snorted at his friend.

"Princess Twilight of course. I have decided she is the best candidate for my queen...so naturally I need to look my best for her."

Flash grinned at Discord and chuckled again. He had an annoying look on his face that irritated Discord. He knew exactly what the stallion was chuckling at and he wasn't pleased.

"So...this is all for the princess then?" Flash asked looking calmly at Discord who nodded, narrowing his eyes at the sudden change in tone. With Flash that always spelled a trap, one that Discord usually fell into. Flash walked closer and inspected Discord's appearance, one hoof on his chin in thought. Discord growled slightly, realizing the game his friend was playing and felt a telling blush creep into his cheeks. The blush would creep in on him anytime he thought of last night, being with that mare.

Fluttershy...such a perfect name for her...

Flash smiled,

"Well...if this is all for the princess...care to explain what I saw last night?"

The blush increased and Discord turned away, crossing his arms over his chest. He snorted and answered in a calm tone.

"Exactly what I said when you returned to my music room. She had become lost and discovered me at my piano. I offered to return her to her chambers, but she wanted to listen to the music longer. Seeing as I am such a gentlecolt of course I obliged her and you walked in as I was finishing my playing."

He waited for a response and when none came he glanced over his shoulder in curiosity. Flash was sitting on his bed, his arms crossed staring at his friend in disbelief. Flash knew Discord better than any other creature and he knew it was foolish to try and lie to the stallion. However he wasn't lying exactly, he was just denying the strange feeling that had overtaken him last night.

He was still in denial over what had happened. He wanted to believe it was just shock over her being so open and friendly with someone like him. He told himself that he was simply surprised when she had touched him. That she was not the most fascinating and beautiful thing he had ever seen...and that he would forget her as soon as he was in the princess' company.

Yeah right...keep telling yourself that...you know what's really going on you're just afraid to admit it.

Flash interrupted his inner thoughts with a snort. He looked back up at his friend and watched as a slow smile crept along the stallion's lips. He grinned up at Discord and whispered,

"So...What of the kiss you were about to place on her hoof? Or what about the way you jumped away from her when I entered? Hmm...you can't hide it from me friend. I can see you're attracted to the mare."

Discord growled again and turned away from his laughing friend. He walked out of his chambers mumbling under his breath as Flash's laughs followed him. The stallion galloped to catch up with Discord's wide stride. Discord glared down at the still smiling stallion, he didn't say anything and tried to quicken his pace. He was suddenly feeling frustrated and angry, a bad combination when he was on his way to win a queen. He growled again and Flash flew ahead of him and hovered in front of his face, stopping the king's rapid pace.

"Move…" Discord growled and Flash glared back at the king not flinching from the angry tone. Discord gave a reluctant smile, that unflinching bravery, was what he admired most about his friend. Flash's glare actually calmed Discord down a bit, reminding him of how he was expected to act.

"Are you ready to listen now?" Flash asked crossing his arms. Discord sighed and crossed his own arms nodding. Flash nodded and moved closer to his king, he placed a hoof on Discord's shoulder and spoke low.

"Discord, it's not something to be ashamed of. If you like the mare then it's not something to hide. It's not a weakness to show you have a heart my friend...you should show it more often."

Discord grunted and gently swiped the hoof off his shoulder. His ears laid back against his head and he moved around Flash. However before he completely moved off he spoke over his shoulder, keeping his back to his captain.

"I've already told you, I am here to find a queen...nothing more. My people need someone to love and that's what they will receive. No matter what foolish thoughts may have plagued me last night...that goal hasn't changed. I've told you in the past Flash, yet you refuse to believe it...I have no heart…" He left heading off towards his gardens.

Flash shook his head watching his friend move off, that aura of sadness surrounding him once more. He whispered under his breath.

"You're wrong my king...you have a heart...it's trying to tell you want it wants...I only hope you listen to it."

The same could be said for you…


Twilight swallowed again nervous as Fluttershy helped her into a simple gown. It was a soft shade of pink and flowed with every movement. It was very pretty and elegant, but still practical to walk in the gardens. Fluttershy had picked it out when Twilight had groaned in frustration having thrown the third dress away from her.

"Thank you Flutters...I don't know what I would do without you. Are you sure you want to come with me. I can make excuses for you, I still feel bad forcing you into this." Twilight asked and noticed a slight blush creep into her friend's cheeks. Fluttershy smiled at her and shook her head.

"No I...I want to go see the gardens...and besides...I...I can't leave you alone with princess Fleur." This made the two giggle and Twilight nodded feeling better. Even being reminded that the other princess would be out there, she was suddenly less apprehensive about touring the gardens.

She had read several books on herbs and wondered if the king would keep his promise to answer any questions she may have. She stopped remembering her mother's words about not rambling too much around the king. She frowned, her earlier excitement diminishing slightly.

The two mares left the room where Rainbow Dash was waiting to escort them to the gardens. Fluttershy smiled at the blue pegasus, the two were close friends even though their personalities were the complete opposite of each other. Rainbow returned the smile and even gave her a small hug.

"Ready to go princess?" Rainbow asked bowing to Twilight, who laughed in return.

"Rainbow, I've told you...call me Twilight. We have been friends since you taught me how to fly with better control. Now I don't have to be taken everywhere by carriage." Twilight laughed thinking of her mother and how the alicorn rarely used her wings. Which was always a bit strange considering they were larger than the average pony's.

Rainbow chuckled and nudged Twilight with her hoof,

"I know...I know...force of habit Twi. Come on, me and Shining walked the entire castle last night to memorize the different paths. This place is a maze and I wouldn't want you two getting lost, who knows what could happen."

Rainbow had her back to them, leading the way and didn't notice both mares look to the side blushing. They walked along several hallways, making so many turns that Twilight was starting to feel dizzy. She was also surprised to see several servants at work as they went. She wondered how each felt about their king, assuming they knew what he looked like? She had started to wonder if there were any other ponies in service to the king besides the guards.

Her cheeks flushed again, instantly thinking of one particular guard. She shook her head to rid herself of the thoughts. She had to focus on today, she was here to perform her duties to her people. She frowned, the word duty had never sounded so cold as when it was applied to a marriage. She was no fool, she knew that this marriage was nothing more than a duty she had to go through...love would play no part in this…

"Here we are…" Rainbow said as two guards positioned on either side of the massive doors pulled them open for the party. The girls walked through, Fluttershy and Twilight froze, their mouths opening in shock.

The garden was beautiful! Everywhere they turned there was a field of flowers, butterflies flew among the bright fields. Twilight looked over to Fluttershy and the mare looked like she had died and gone to heaven. Twilight giggled, feeling better about bringing her friend with her. She started to walk along the path that wound through the gardens.

She turned a corner and standing there waiting for them was the king. He grinned at them and bowed low. He took Twilight's hoof and placed a gentle kiss on it, she suppressed the urge to flinch and instead smiled back at the king. His eyes warmed at the smile and he stood up again.

"Welcome princess...how do you like my gardens so far?" He asked as he turned and offered her his arm. She blushed slightly and looked around, she glanced at Fluttershy and frowned. The mare was turned away from them, pretending to be interested in a group of tulips. She was probably trying to give them some privacy...Twilight looked around and realized Fleur wasn't around.

"Um...it's beautiful...forgive me your highness but...isn't Princess Fleur going to be joining us?"

Discord grinned and said in a calm tone,

"Oh no I'm afraid she will be unable to accompany us due to a...mishap with her wardrobe…" He smiled and Twilight wondered if he was hiding something.


*Back inside the castle*

Fleur screamed at her maid again as she threw a hairbrush at the poor, frightened mare.

"WHAT DID YOU DO? MY HAIR IS GREEN! GREEN!"

The maid shivered and began to cry,

"I...I...didn't...the shampoo is the same as it always is my princess I promise!"

Fleur gritted her teeth and screamed again in frustration. Her hair had turned a horrible shade of green and she had refused to see the king like this.

Curse her! It was probably that Twilight Sparkle trying to ruin my chances with the wealthy king! She probably had one of her minions sneak into my room and swap the shampoo with the dye!


*Back in the gardens*

Discord smiled down at Twilight who was on his arm as he guided her around the castle. She was forced to hover next to him in order to hold his arm, she didn't want to be rude so she endured the discomfort. She still wasn't the best flyer so if she didn't get a chance to rest her wings would start to cramp.

"So my dear...do you have any questions? I meant what I said last night." He smiled down at her and Twilight bit her tongue to stop the torrent of questions that had almost come tumbling out. She swallowed and used the calming methods Cadence had taught her. She forced a smile on her face and looked back up at the king,

"Well...did you plant all these yourself?" She asked and he chuckled. He stopped their walk and she was grateful for the chance to let go of his arm and land back on the ground. She looked over at Fluttershy, who had been walking silently behind them. Twilight frowned again at her friend, her earlier excitement seemed to diminish the longer they were out in the gardens. She wasn't trotting among the flowers as Twilight had expected her to, instead she was simply standing there her face hidden behind her mane. Twilight's attention was pulled back to King Discord as he spoke.

"Actually yes...as strange as it would seem for a creature like me, I enjoy gardens and flowers. However I will admit, not all of these are normal flowers princess. Would you like me to show you?" He had leaned closer and purred slightly as he said this. She couldn't help but flinch back and coughed to try and cover it. She thought she saw his eyes flick to the side, but it was so fast she couldn't be sure.

"Oh...as much as I would love to...I...I have to meet my cousins. I need to check in on Cadence and see how she is doing." She prayed that he wouldn't question her lie. She knew she should agree to follow him and continue to flirt with him or something...but she didn't want to be near him any longer. Especially not alone! Fluttershy was being so quiet, it might as well be just the two of them.

The king nodded giving her a small smile. He bent down again and lifted her hoof, Twilight felt a slight panic build inside her. He grinned and brought her hoof closer as he whispered,

"Of course my dear...I do pray that we will be able to have a moment alone again. I have enjoyed your company immensely."

However as he was about to kiss her hoof again she panicked and pulled it out of his grip. She mentally kicked herself when she saw the look that passed over his face, before he stood up again. She was totally blowing this for her kingdom! She couldn't help it though, her instincts would just kick in and she'd react.

"Of course...I..I hope so too my lord." She smiled weakly at him again and turned to leave Fluttershy also turned to follow her.

"What about you my dear?" His voice asked behind them and Fluttershy stopped.


Discord didn't know what had possessed him to ask the mare to stay. For that's exactly what he had done when he had asked her to join him. He watched as she stopped and slowly turned back to look at him. He smiled again seeing her teal eyes meet his. However his smile fell when he noticed the look in her eyes.

She looked...angry? He shook the thought away, why would she be angry with him? He had done nothing…

Don't even finish that sentence. You know perfectly well why she's upset with you!

A voice hissed inside his head and he flinched slightly. He had purposely ignored her and focused all his attention on Princess Twilight. It had been rude and uncalled for, but he had been almost...afraid...to talk with her.

However, now that she looked back at him, he wanted to make it up to her. He didn't know why, but he was feeling guilty over the way he had treated her. He really had wanted to see her again. He had been excited at the thought of watching her excitement play out as she walked through his garden.

Then the princess had turned the corner and reality had slapped him in the face again. Reminding him why he was there in the first place and who he was supposed to be thinking about! So he had endured the forced smiles and flinches from the princess as they walked and talked to one another. The whole time he had ignored the urge to glance back at the mare, whom he was very much aware of. It had taken more will than he'd like to admit to focus on what Princess Twilight had been saying, all he had wanted was to turn and hear her sweet voice again.

Now he wanted that more than ever before and he prayed that she would agree to stay with him. However she glared at him then put her nose in the air and turned from him, his ears fell.

"I'm afraid your majesty… that my duties to the princess are far too important at the moment...so if...if you'll excuse...me…" He heard a small sniffle and the sound tore at his chest.

Was she crying? Did...did I make her want to cry?

He suddenly flashed in front of the mares making both jump. He looked down at the yellow mare, who hid her face behind her mane. He frowned then suddenly bowed and said,

"Surely Princess Twilight...you could allow your maid an hour or so to relax in the gardens? You did mention how much she loves being outdoors." He said, thanking the stars that Flash was not here to see him...begging…

"Oh...of course. Fluttershy, don't feel you have to leave because of me. I'll be fine on my own until I'll need your help for dinner. Really it's okay...you work far too much sometimes, always thinking of me first. Consider this as a day off, go relax in the garden." Twilight said, completely ignoring the soft pleas from her friend. She walked away, leaving Fluttershy with Discord and he wanted to shout in victory. He grinned down at the mare and held out his arm to her.

"Shall we my dear?" He purred and waited for that sweet smile he desperately needed to see. She glared at him and turned away from him, her nose in the air. He frowned after her and growled slightly in annoyance as he moved to catch up with her.

They walked in silence, moving deeper into the gardens and the further they went the more frustrated he became at her silence. He had been looking forward to hearing her laugh and speak with him as she had before. Only now she was doing everything she could to ignore him. She stopped walking when something to her right caught her eyes. She walked over to a strange flower and bent to inspect it.

He saw which one it was and reached out quickly grabbing her around her waist and pulling her back before it snapped at her nose. She squeaked in surprise at being pulled away so suddenly and looked up at Discord.

He felt another blush creep into his cheeks when he realized how slim she was, his hands almost wrapped around her tiny waist. She pulled out of his grasp and hid behind her mane, then she whispered.

"Thank you...your majesty…"

He started to bow then stopped. He looked up at her and suddenly wished she would say his name again…

"Discord…" He whispered. She jumped and looked up at him, he lowered himself to all fours, bringing himself closer to her. She blushed slightly and took a step away from him. He frowned again and said,

"I told you last night that...that you may call me Discord…"

She turned away from him and he waited, for what he didn't exactly know. She turned to look back at him and he was disappointed to see tears in her eyes. She shook her head and turned away from him again and ran from him. He just stood there watching her run, he had seen so many ponies run from him in the past...so...so why did this hurt more?

Three guesses…


Fluttershy ran further into the garden, not knowing where she was going, but she had to get away from him...from the confusion he caused her. She stopped when she came up to a strange tree. It wasn't like other trees with it's purple leaves and red trunk. She didn't care though and curled up on the grass beneath it, crying out her frustration.

She had been so excited to see him again. She had thought about him all night since she had returned to her room. Each time she remembered him kissing her hoof and whispering her name, her heart would jump and beat frantically. She had hoped he would do just that again when she saw him in the garden.

He had looked so handsome standing on the path in his jacket. When he had smiled, her insides had melted and she began to shiver in anticipation as he moved closer. She didn't realize it, but her hoof had slightly lifted on it's own. Then reality had slapped her in the face, reminding her that she was a nobody…

He had bowed before Twilight and lifted her hoof, placing a soft kiss on it and looking at the princess with so much heat in his eyes. In that moment Fluttershy had been struck with an emotion she had never felt before.

Jealousy...pure, raging jealousy for a friend that meant so much to her...but in that moment Fluttershy had wanted to jump at Twilight screaming.

"HE'S MINE!" The feeling had startled and frightened her. So she had remained silent behind them, trying to ignore the looks he was giving her friend. She had ignored the crying inside of her, wishing that he would look at her that way. She wanted to hear his smooth voice talk to her as he had the night before.

"But you're just being foolish again Fluttershy...You're a nobody and you need to remember that…" She whispered to herself and curled up further into a ball.

"That's not true…"

She jumped at the voice above her. She squeaked when Discord fell out of the tree and landed next to her frowning. She tried to turn away and run, but he put his hands on her shoulders and forced her to look at him.

"My dear...why would you think you are a nobody?" He whispered and she felt an involuntary shiver race through her at the sound. His voice had a strange effect on her and she tried to ignore it.

"Because...because I am...I was foolish to think…" She stopped and blushed, not wanting to finish that thought out loud. He surprised her by brushing her mane out of her eyes. She jumped and blushed further looking up at him. He smiled softly at her and her heart started to beat faster.

"My dear...Fluttershy I...I need to apologize to you…" He whispered and it made her jump. It was not what she had been expecting from a king!

"I know I've upset you my dear and I...well I...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings...I didn't even realize I really had until you ran from me. I know I was rude by ignoring you when I had invited you as well...I don't have a good excuse but...can you forgive me?" He asked, his ears drooped and waiting for her answer. She could see the fear in his eyes, he looked like he was afraid that she wouldn't want anything to do with him again. The thought made her happy for some reason.

She felt her heart lighten, maybe...maybe he could…

"Okay your...Discord...I forgive you." She smiled up at him and then surprised both of them by wrapping her arms around his neck and giving him a gentle hug. She felt a shiver run through his body and it made her realize who she was hugging.

What are you doing! He's a king and you're...you're you!

She pulled away quickly and blushed deeper as she took a step away from him. She cleared her throat, still not meeting his eyes. She whispered,

"I'm sorry I don't know what...I'm sorry I was so angry before...I was being silly I guess...um...well I guess I should...uh...oh dear...um...oh yes! I have to return to the princess...I've been gone longer than I should...um good-goodbye...Discord…" She flew off as fast as she could still not looking back at the king, too embarrassed to meet his gaze. No doubt he was laughing at her right now. She was being foolish, but her heart was also soaring at being so close to him.


Discord sat there, unable to move as he watched her fly off. He could hardly breathe, his heart was pounding so hard he was sure it would burst from his chest. He swallowed and looked to the place she had disappeared to.

She hugged me...ME...why? What had made her do it? Why...why would she want to hold something like me? Good Lord! What is going on with me!?

He growled and held his head in his hands. He had nearly exploded when she had wrapped her arms around his neck. It had been over so quickly, but he could still feel her body pressed against him. He groaned again, this time in an entirely different frustration. His body had reacted the minute she touched him, just as last night.

He growled again and threw himself backwards onto the grass, covering his face with his hands. He dragged them over his face then let his arms fall out away from him as he stared up through the canopy of leaves.

He closed his eyes and felt a small smile pull at his lips as he saw an image of her once again. She was smiling up at him and leaning closer to his lips...He frowned and shook his head, forcing the image away and brought forth an image of Twilight…

That...That's the mare you need to focus on dammit! Not…

Too late Twilight faded away and a much clearer picture of Fluttershy replaced it. He groaned again as he imagined her smiling up at him. Then she wrapped her arms around him and he happily returned the hug. Holding her closer to him and stroking her mane, he had felt how soft it was and wanted to bury his fingers in the strands.

He imagined doing just that as he gently pulled her away from him and made her look up to his eyes. He grinned down at her and stroked his claws along her cheek, feeling her shiver under his touch and blush. He chuckled and lowered his head until his lips were inches from hers...

"Enjoying yourself there?" A voice brought him out of his daydreams and he looked up to see Flash standing above him. Flash was trying desperately not to laugh and Discord growled at the stallion.

"What do you want? Can't you see I'm enjoying some rest under my tree? It's too damn warm out here today, I needed the shade..." Discord grunted as he sat up. He felt a blush on his cheeks and his body felt hotter than before.

"Mmhmm...I came out here to inform you that it was time to go over plans for the Servants Ball...but found you...otherwise occupied…" Flash grinned at him again and Discord felt his face flame more.

"This is now twice friend…twice I have caught you with Miss Fluttershy...alone…"

Discord didn't respond, but felt his body react to her name. He groaned again and covered his eyes with his claws. He snorted and pulled his claws away and glared at Flash who was no longer trying to hide his amusement.

"Leave it alone Flash...I won't say it again…" He growled, but Flash ignored him and moved to sit next to Discord. He looked over the garden and then up at his friend, a more serious look on his face.

"You know I can't...what kind of friend would I be? Discord...it is quickly becoming obvious how you feel…"

"Oh really...and pray tell, how exactly do I feel about this mare?" He asked with so much sarcasm it made Flash glare at him. Flash sighed,

"You're falling…" He was cut off as Discord shot to his feet and growled at the stallion.

"Don't be ridiculous! I am doing no such thing! I will not tell you again...I'm not looking for love...now leave it alone." He started to turn away and Flash's next words stopped him.

"But she might be...have you even stopped to consider what you could be doing to her heart?"

Discord turned back to look at his friend and thought of the tears she had been crying when he'd found her. Of her calling herself a nobody...Was he hurting her? That was the last thing he wanted...she was such a sweet mare, always showing him kindness even when he didn't deserve it.

"Discord...no one said it...it had to be a princess…" Flash whispered and Discord turned to face his friend completely. He frowned at Flash, trying to decipher what he meant. Flash sighed and indicated that Discord sit next to him again. Discord did just that and laid down on his stomach with his head on the grass too. He waited and then heard Flash chuckle,

"You know...even though you're older than me, sometimes I still feel like your teacher."

Discord grunted and muttered,

"You're a lousy one then."

"True since you never listen to my lessons...however this time you might want to...Discord I know we came up with this plan to find the people a queen. Because they were starting to wonder who their king was and why he kept himself hidden. You can still give them that queen...but...but I never said it had to be a princess."

He waited to see if Discord was following and when the chimera didn't respond he continued, more forward this time.

"Why not just choose the mare? You two already seem to care for one another based off what I saw. Why not listen to what your heart is telling you? Why torture the both of you with these games?"

Discord sighed as he thought about this. He thought of Fluttershy, of making her his queen...the thought made his heart soar. He realized how happy he was when he was near her. How he had been thinking about her since Flash had mentioned her under this same tree. He imagined being married to her, being with her for all eternity. To have her by his side, watching as their love grew for one another...wait...love? He had been denying it every time it came up so why did he even imagine that?

Because you do love her! It doesn't matter to your heart that you just met her! Accept it, admit it!

I do...I will...I am...I'm in love with Fluttershy!

He smiled slowly as he realized that yes, he could choose Fluttershy! Make her his queen and shower her with his love. She would be his queen, his love and together they would…

His smile fell as reality hit him again, he may have finally admitted his own love but...

"What makes you think she cares about me? Why would she want to tie herself to a monster?" He lifted himself up ignoring Flash's protests and teleported from the garden. He knew there was no way she could love him, as he had said before...no mare could ever love a monster like him. She would be no different…

But she's already different! Look at how she's treated you!

The voice argued back and he frowned. It was true, she smiled at him freely. She touched his claws without flinching and she had even wrapped him in a hug. She had been hurt when he had ignored her, angry that he had paid attention to the princess over her. Could it have been jealousy? A foolish wish but...he hoped it had been because...because then…

"Maybe there is hope...maybe...maybe she's the one to see past it all?" He found himself smiling and wishing that it was so...he groaned at what this meant. He teleported back to the garden.

Even more annoyed when he saw Flash still sitting beneath the tree as if waiting for him to return. Damn this stallion! He knew Discord far too well some days! He must have known that Discord would see the truth and he was smiling.

"Well my king?" Flash chuckled and Discord snorted crossing his arms. Then he grinned at Flash and returned the chuckle.

"Fine...I'll admit just this once that...that you may be correct in this...however that also means something else…"

Flash tilted his head and waited. Discord smiled wider as he thought of what he would need Flash for.

"Things are going to change...and I will need your help old friend."

Flash surprised him by flying into the air smiling and holding out his hoof. Discord clasped it with his paw and grinned.

"Here's what we're going to do."