• Published 27th Oct 2014
  • 7,266 Views, 169 Comments

Love or Power? Which Will You Choose? - atomicpuffin



What happens when two beings in power are supposed to get married but find themselves attracted to somepony else? Only one way to find out, as we watch what they choose...Love?or Power?

  • ...
24
 169
 7,266

Chapter Seven

Author's Note:

Okay so as the last chapter was all Fluttercord, this one is all Flashlight(or whatever you call them) So I hope you are enjoying this, don't be afraid to be completely honest with me I want to grow and learn and that means taking criticism along with praise.

Flash walked along the hall with his head lowered, he wanted to find an excuse out of this, but knew there was no getting around it. He was just coming from Discord's chambers where the king had been teasing him about his newest novel. Flash had to grin as he remembered the king's face when he had said,

You know that this story isn't just about my heart right?

Discord had waived that statement off, but Flash had a feeling he'd soon understand. He had then been pushed out of the chambers and 'ordered' to escort the princess to the library. He reached the door to her chambers and sighed before lifting his hoof to knock at the door.

He waited and didn't hear anything for awhile, so he knocked again, this time louder. That time he heard a voice call out,

"Come in please!"

He frowned, but opened the door and stepped into the room and froze at the sight before him. Then he threw his head back laughing. Princess Cadence, Applejack and Pinkie Pie were all sitting on a struggling Fluttershy, who was pinned to the floor of the sitting room. She was desperately trying to get away from them and it made Flash wish Discord were here at the moment to see. He cleared his throat and still chuckling asked,

"Um...I have come to escort Princess Twilight to the library."

Cadence turned around at the sound of his voice, she was laying across Fluttershy's body to hold the pegasus down. Her eyes widened in shock and then she frowned in confusion.

"Flash? I thought you had already come...oof...Fluttershy stop struggling! You see captain...you are going to go see him one way or another! Twilight already left saying...Fluttershy you said not five minutes ago that you were excited! That you were here to take her, oh dear she must have gone off on her own. Typical Twilight...Fluttershy you are going to put that dress on and you are going to like it!"

Flash was laughing through this back and forth tirade from the princess, when the jumbled pieces came together. He stopped laughing and looked up at the princess,

"She left on her own? Oh no...these hallways have a tendency to change!" He turned from the pile of struggling females and ran from the room to find the princess.


Twilight walked along the shelves and used her magic to pull out another book. She currently had three that Flash had written, having been sent with specific instructions to get one for each night. The group of friends planned to read one each night between now and the ball. She smiled when she remembered how 'Chocolate' had ended. It was so sweet with Dashing charging into her father's home and demanding to see Jewel. He then threw himself at her hooves and begged her to forgive his lies, that he did truly love her even if he didn't deserve her. That he would do anything to prove that he was the stallion of her dreams and that he would make her happy for all her days. Jewel's father had been so impressed that he had given his blessing to the pair.

Twilight closed her eyes and sighed again, she wished that real life could work like those in fictional worlds. Where no matter what, true love always won out over duty and differences.

Oh...not that I mean me and Flash or anything but...oh never mind...

She shook her head and went back to looking through the books.

The door to the library slammed open and shut as a familiar and angry stallion stormed.

"What are you doing? I thought you were going to wait for me to escort you here?" Flash asked still frowning at her, having gotten control of his anger. She scowled at him and returned her attention to the shelves.

"Thank you for the offer captain, but I am perfectly capable of bringing myself to this library, after all I knew the way from before."

He snorted and she noticed him give a reluctant smile, she frowned at him as he began to chuckle. His chuckles turned into a full laugh and her cheeks pinked.

He smiled over at her, his blue eyes sparkling with knowledge, he said,

"So...you had no trouble finding this room?"

Her blush deepened and she turned away from him, he laughed again and it brought out a bout of giggles from her. He came to stand next to her and she smiled over at him, her earlier anger suddenly forgotten.

"No...I took several wrong turns and had to backtrack. I thought I knew the way, but I guess it was more complicated than I thought."

"It wasn't really your fault princess. These hallways are enchanted and they have the tendency to change. Only those that work here can navigate them because of these." He stopped and pulled down the front of his tunic, she blushed realizing this was the first time she'd seen him out of his armor. He pulled a red amulet out of the tunic and showed it to her.

"Every pony that works here has been given one of these. It counters the enchantments in this place and allows us to move about without fear of becoming lost. It's why you have always been escorted about this castle whenever you go to meals or if you wish to explore a new area."

She stared at the amulet in awe then frowned and set the books she had been levitating on a nearby table. She turned back to Flash and asked,

"Do you mind if I pick your brain about some things Captain?"

His gaze softened and he nodded, indicating one of the couches in the library. She went to sit down and watched as he moved to a cabinet. He opened the doors and stood there for a minute before turning around with a tray of tea. She raised an eyebrow and used her magic to take it from him. He smiled in thanks and went to join her on the couch.

"Discord likes to drink this spiced tea when he reads so he has a supply anywhere that there are books." Flash said answering her questioning look.

She nodded and lifted one of the cups to gently blow on the steaming tea. She looked closer at it then back at the cabinet.

"Wait, how is it hot? Is there something in…"

"No...and it's better not to question it too much Twilight. You'll give yourself a headache." He chuckled as he started to take a drink of his own tea. She blushed and turned her shocked gaze back to him.

"You called me Twilight…" She whispered and he spluttered in his cup and began to choke. She set her cup down and gently patted his back, rubbing in gentle circles as Fluttershy had taught her. His face was a bright red and he scooted away from her on the couch, still coughing slightly.

"My apologies your highness I…"

"I didn't say you couldn't…I mean...if you want to...you can call me Twilight...I...I like it when you do..." She whispered, cutting him off and blushing herself now. He stopped and turned to stare at her shocked, then his lips lifted in another dazzling smile. She smiled back and felt herself relax, almost like when she had first met him.

"Alright...Twilight...so long as you call me Flash. It's only fair right?" He chuckled and she nodded giggling. He cleared his throat and took a quick drink of his tea.

"So you said you had some questions?" He asked and she looked at him confused, she suddenly couldn't remember what she had wanted to know exactly. It had been about the king and this place, her mother had told her that she wanted Twilight to learn as much as she could. After all if she was going to rule this place someday…

"Oh...uh...what inspired you to write these books?" She asked the first thing that came to mind. Not at all surprised that it had nothing to do with the king. Flash smiled and looked at the small pile she had collected. He chuckled and turned his amazing blue eyes back to her.

"My mother...she loved to read. She would always read to me and my father before bed and her voice was as soft as angel's music when she read to us. I wanted to write something that would make her proud. Then realized I love the fictional world, plus with Discord's support I've been able to do so much more."

Twilight frowned as she noted that he was referring to it in the past tense.

"Um...Flash...is your mother...well is she…"

He turned to her and chuckled before reaching up and brushing her bangs aside. They fell right back into place, but it was the touch that set her heart at a faster pace. He smiled at her and shook his head,

"Oh no...sorry to make it sound like that but...well my mother...she went blind a year after I joined the guard. That's why my father retired and I was given his position. Discord made sure that my parents never have to work or want for anything so that they can focus solely on her health. He's also made sure that every book I write he makes a recording of it so my mother can listen to it."

She didn't realize her mouth was hanging open until he chuckled again and lifted his hoof to close it for her. She blushed and thought about what he had said,

"The king...Discord...I know you said that you two are friends but...it seems like more than that if he took such care of your parents."

"Not really. I mean it was kind of him to do that for my parents, but he does that for all of us. Discord makes sure that those in his kingdom never have to worry about anything. It's like living in a Utopia some days...he's such a kind heart...I only wish he could see that."

She thought about the king and had to admit just how wrong all of them had been about him...except Fluttershy. The pegasus had seen something else that they hadn't when she had mentioned hurting his feelings. Twilight suddenly thought about the looks the king would give her friend.

How he was going to escort her about the gardens today and about the kiss Fluttershy had mentioned. Cadence may be correct in thinking that the king was falling in love with Fluttershy. Twilight began to worry about that though, after all it was expected that the two of them should marry to unite the kingdoms.

Twilight worried that if her mother began to suspect those two had feelings for each other that she would do something to her friend. Nothing harmful, at least not physically, but she may be tempted to send her home away from the king. Something also told Twilight that King Discord wouldn't allow that to happen without a fight.

"Have I lost you princess?" Flash asked and she blushed, shaking her head to bring herself back into the present.

"Forgive me Flash, I was just thinking about what you said and it made me think about...one last question, well two actually...okay maybe more than that since I also have a theory I need you to confirm. But you have to swear to secrecy, that is if it doesn't conflict with your duties. So the first one...or the second...no the first...unless one answers the other?" She stopped and cleared her throat,

"Sorry I tend to ramble when I think out loud like that. My mother always enjoys it, but most stallions get annoyed."

He smiled at her again and then surprised both of them by lifting her hoof with his and placing a soft kiss on it, whispering.

"Then it's a good thing I'm not most stallions...I could listen to your voice for all eternity…"

She blushed crimson and he suddenly realized what he had said and dropped her hoof. He coughed and looked away, at the same time Twilight tried to calm her rapid breathing and beating heart.

"So...this question?" He asked and glanced at her, still trying to hide his blush. She smiled at him and decided which one to ask first.

"This may seem like a strange question, but um...I know this kingdom is wealthy, but I haven't heard any talking about mining?"

He frowned at her and at his confused look she elaborated.

"Well you know how there are jewels and metals in your mountains. Well I was wondering how do you mine them without it affecting the environment. Everywhere I've seen mining going on, there's always repercussions, so how come I can't see any here?"

He finally caught on to what she was saying and began to laugh. She frowned and wondered what he could find so amusing.

"Is that what outside kingdoms think happens here? Oh Twilight...there aren't any jewels in those mountains. All the wealth in this kingdom comes straight from Discord."

"What how…"

"Haven't you noticed how his magic works?" He cut her off and she looked at him as her brain tried to wrap around this. Then she thought of the few times he had used it around them, he would snap his fingers and…

"He can just create anything he wants?" She asked and Flash nodded confirming her thoughts. So the wealth of this kingdom was a result of the king being able to snap his fingers and create the jewels out of nothing. No being in history has ever been able to do what he does with his magic! Yet even with his god-like powers, he was still a kind and caring king. It was truly amazing, she couldn't name many that could claim they would behave the same way.

"You were right Flash…King Discord is definitely a kind heart...he's no monster."

Flash smiled brightly at what she said and it made her smile as well. She wondered if she should tell her mother what she had learned about the king? She would decide on it later, for now she wanted to get back to talking to the stallion beside her.

"Okay next question, I'm getting back to you now." She teased and he groaned, but continued to smile at her.

"Alright, I thought I could distract you away from those novels." He chuckled and she giggled.

"Relax, it's not about the novels...although now that you mention it…"

He nudged her in the side and she giggled again. She smiled and asked,

"I wanted to know about this Servants Ball actually...what is it for?"

"Oh. It's a tradition in the castle, every year we have one. King Discord believes in rewarding those loyal to him. You see only those of us in the castle, which between the guards and the maids, there's only about thirty of us."

"So few?" She asked and he shrugged as if it's no big deal.

"With his magic, Discord doesn't even need those of us that are here. I can't figure out if he secretly does want company or if it's to make us feel useful? I like to believe the first one though, considering how he treats all of us...well after the first week."

They laughed together at this, knowing that he was talking about Discord's habit of scaring the new ponies. She realized that she had been slowly scooting closer to him, she smiled and blushed slightly, but didn't move away.

"Well, those of us that are here...we are sworn to secrecy about our king. No pony outside the castle knows what he looks like. To the kingdom he is nothing but a shadow that overlooks their lives. No matter what I say he will never come into the light. We have shown him inside the castle that after the initial shock, we love him and accept him for who he is. Discord just refuses to see this, I'm hoping that with help from…" He stopped as if realizing he had gone too far. He cleared his throat and continued again,

"So Discord holds this grand ball for all of us to relax and enjoy, to thank us for our continued loyalty. Every mare is given a beautiful gown, that they could never purchase themselves, it's always a surprise too. The maids have been talking about nothing else this month, trying to guess what their dresses will look like. He goes all out for this ball, Discord does everything himself and orders the rest of us to stay out of the ballroom during preparations. He only allows me to read off his checklist to him, I'm forbidden to lift a hoof in anything else. He takes pride every year in creating the perfect night for all of us."

Flash looked down suddenly, his ears flattening and he had a far away, sad look in his eyes. He whispered,

"Yet he doesn't believe there will ever be another that can see beyond it all and love the heart that lies beneath the looks…"

She stared at him in wonder, the more she heard about Discord, the more she admired his leadership and felt sorry for the way he's been treated. Although she still didn't feel anything romantically towards him, she had to admit he was a great king. For somepony who looked like he did, he truly cared about those that he ruled over. Which inspired unquestioning loyalty in his subjects, even if most didn't know what he was, only who he is.

"He is something else…" She thought out loud and Flash nodded in agreement. They sat in silence for a while, neither wanting to break it. However after the tea was gone, Twilight felt she had to say something.

"Flash...do you...do you think that if I apologize to him...he'll accept it?" She whispered and Flash jumped at the sound of her voice. He frowned down at her and she laid her ears back under the gaze.

"What do you mean Twilight?" He whispered and she blushed at the way his voice caressed her skin. She looked up at him and said,

"Well. I've misjudged him so much. I thought that Discord was just a monster who forced his rule on all of you. That's what I believed when I first saw him, now I realize how ignorant that was. I'm the one always saying you can't judge a book by it's cover and yet that's exactly what I did with him. I was wrong, very wrong, about him and the way he looks out for all of you.

"Never have I heard of a ruler with so much power and yet such a caring heart. My Aunt Luna's late husband, King Sombra, he was very powerful and not very kind to his subjects. At least until he met my aunt...but my point is, that even though Discord may look evil that doesn't mean he is. I'm just so sorry that I didn't give him a chance or see it before now. He has done so much for all of you and yet expects nothing in return...he deserves to be happy and to feel loved."

She turned to say something else but was cut off by Flash's lips. She froze as she fully realized that he was kissing her! Then she closed her eyes and returned the kiss. She had been imagining this and how it would feel, but nothing compared to the reality of it. His lips were firm and yet so gentle.

He reached out with his arms and wrapped her in them, pulling her closer as he deepened the kiss. She sighed and leaned into him, she felt her heart lighten and a thought roared in her head. One that she couldn't deny any longer,

Oh heavens above! I'm in love with him!

He pulled away from her and took a deep breath. They were both flushed and breathing a bit heavily. He smiled at her and reached up to stroke her mane, it sent a shiver through her body.

"Twilight...you amaze me. The way you openly admit that you were wrong and wanting to make up for it...I was a fool before when I pulled away from you. I want you to know that I didn't want to…" He leaned in and kissed her again as if to emphasis that statement. She was embarrassed when a small moan escaped her throat, he gave an answering sound, but pulled away again.

"Twilight...I...I have to tell you something...but...but I'm not sure…" He stopped and her heart began to race. Was he about to tell her how he felt? She wasn't sure if she was ready to hear it, or to admit her own feelings. After all, there was so much in the way between them. How could she put her heart through that, if they could never be together?

He cleared his throat and pulled her tighter against him, he nuzzled his muzzle in her mane. She giggled at the way his warm breath tickled the back of her neck and she could feel his smile. He sighed and said,

"Twilight...I know that...that you're expected to marry the king, but...what I want to know is...do you want to?"

His question was not one she was expecting and it froze her thinking capabilities for a moment. She sat there in his arms silently, unable to form an answer. Then without conscious thought she said,

"No...like I said he deserves a mare that will love him. Although I admire him, I could never love him...no matter how hard I try, my heart won't see him that way."

Flash visibly relaxed and he let out the breath he had been holding. He pulled back and smiled at her. He reached up and gently stroked her cheek. He swallowed and suddenly looked even more nervous.

"Then...do you...do you think that...you could...Twilight I...um...geez this is harder than I thought…How did Discord do it so easily?" He muttered the last part under his breath and she frowned.

How did he do what so easily?

"Twilight I...I want you to know that I admire you. I think you are the strongest, most intelligent, most amazing mare I have ever met. You have shocked me to my roots, I never thought I would meet a mare so understanding and patient as you. I'm...I think I...I think you had one more question…" He muttered and released her from his hold. His cheeks were on fire and his ears were flat against his head, he looked angry too, but at who she didn't know.

Twilight took several deep breaths to calm her heart. She had been so sure he was about to...but it was better that he didn't...wasn't it?

"Um...well actually I don't have a question really, it's more of a theory. One I would like you to confirm for me...then if it turns out I'm correct...then I'll have something else to tell you…" She blushed, not knowing what had possessed her to say that last part.

Are you honestly planning on telling him you love him? That you want to be with him? Are you crazy!?

"What is it...Twilight…" He hesitated when saying her name and it made her frown a bit. She took a deep breath and said,

"Um...as I said...this one will require your full secrecy. I will need you to Pinkie Promise." She showed him the moves and he raised an eyebrow and then laughed before repeating it and saying,

"I thought the king had strange habits...so what happens if I happen to break this Pinkie Promise?" He chuckled and it made her flashback to several times some poor souls had been foolish enough to do that.

"Just trust me and don't…" She whispered in a completely serious tone and it stopped his laughter. She told herself that she had to know, she wasn't just thinking of herself in this...but also of Fluttershy. The mare was like a sister to her and she would hate for the poor thing to be hurt in this game of power. Taking another deep breath she asked the all important question,

"Is Discord falling in love with Fluttershy?"

It took Flash by surprise, judging from the way his eyes widened. He hesitated as if unsure how to respond. Flash cleared his throat and looked back up at her and smiled,

"No…"

"Oh I see…"

Her face fell, she had been so hopeful for her friend. After the way Fluttershy had been bouncing around the room excited this morning it was clear that the pegasus cared about the king. Flash chuckled and lifted her chin back up to bring her eyes back to him.

"You didn't let me finish. Twilight...Discord's not falling in love...he's been in love with her since he first saw her. To answer your question further, he plans on making her his queen, if she'll have him."

It was what she had been hoping, she wanted her friend to be happy and if it was with the king then Twilight would do everything in her power to help make it so. No matter her duties, her friend's happiness came first. She smiled brightly and threw her arms around Flash laughing as she hugged him tight.

"Oh this is wonderful news! Fluttershy will be so happy when he tells her…"

"He's already told her...she refused his offer…" Flash whispered and it threw a bucket of ice on Twilight elated spirits. She pulled away from him and stared at him in confusion. She tried to speak, but all that came out was,

"She...he...but she was so...when did he...but the kiss? Oh why would she...when she...I'm confused." She put her hooves to her head and Flash chuckled. He put his hoof on her shoulder and said,

"Not as confused as my poor king. Twilight maybe you can help me with this mystery. The other night, when Fluttershy went missing. That was when Discord told her he wanted her as his queen, he also...he also told her he loved her...and she ran. Do you have any clues as to why?"

Twilight looked up at him, concern written in her eyes. Fluttershy was always the shyest pony she knew, but...she couldn't see the mare running from a confession of love. Especially since Twilight had the feeling that the mare felt the same way so why...wait that night...it was also when…

"Mother…" Twilight whispered, suddenly getting angry. What had her mother said to the pegasus that had frightened her so much she would refuse the king's offer of marriage?

Flash looked down at her confused and was also remembering that night when the queen had pulled the mares aside.

"Twilight...do you think...I don't mean any disrespect but…"

"Don't worry Flash...I was just thinking the same thing."

"You think she threatened Fluttershy?"

"Or scared her enough that she would refuse the offer...it's also possible that mother manipulated her into it."

"How could she manipulate Fluttershy?"

"Fluttershy is very kind hearted and will always put another before herself...I have a feeling that mother…"

"Made the mare feel guilty for her feelings, yes that makes sense. After all we all know that she wants the funds for your kingdom…"

"Which we will only get if I marry Discord…"

"So naturally another mare getting in the way would pose a problem...Twilight that's it! We did it, we know why she's so afraid!" Flash shouted and grabbed Twilight and pulled her to him again to kiss her. It was a hard, quick kiss, but it still set her body on fire. When he pulled back his eyes were sparkling and he was smiling widely.

"I will have to tell Discord what I have learned! Thank you so much my lo...Twilight…huh...do you realize what we were just doing?" He chuckled and she thought about the conversation they just had and she blushed.

"We were just finishing each others thoughts…" She whispered and he nodded, still holding her in his arms. He smiled and leaned towards her again, whispering,

"I guess we're closer than we thought...what's that saying? Great minds think alike?"

"I have no idea right now…" She whispered back as she closed the distance between them and kissed him again. She felt him chuckle as he held her close, when they pulled apart this time Twilight was even more determined to tell him.

"Flash...about what I was going to say before...well I…"

The door to the library began to open and the two jumped apart, both red as apples.


Discord walked into the library and stopped when he saw the two sitting on the couch. The three stared at each other for a few minutes then Discord cleared his throat and sent Flash an apologetic look. He bowed to the princess and said,

"Princess Twilight...I hope you found all you're looking for with my captain's help?" She nodded and muttered a thank you, her blush deepening. Discord wanted to kick himself, he knew he had interrupted a moment between the two. He honestly thought they would be done and gone by now. He had come to think over some things from the garden.

"Well then...since you are still occupying this room…" He bowed again and started to leave, but the princess jumped off the couch. She used her magic to lift the books she had and trotted over to the door.

"Oh no your majesty. I'm all finished here, Captain Flash was very helpful…I'd like to return to my room now...could you...could you teleport me there my lord? I don't want to get lost…" She blushed further and Discord chuckled, she must have found out the hard way about his enchanted halls. He bowed low and nodded, she looked back at Flash and smiled,

"Thank you Flash...for everything…" Then in a flash of light she was gone, back to her room. Discord closed the door and cringing, turned to face his friend.

"Flash, I'm so sorry...I thought that you would be...I didn't realize…" He looked up to see his friend wasn't angry, in fact he had the biggest, goofiest grin Discord had ever seen. He walked over to the stunned stallion and waved his claws in front of the pony's eyes. He didn't move, just continued to sit there looking like an idiot. So Discord snapped his fingers and a bucket of ice water tipped over the stallion's head.

Flash yelled at the cold and shook his head quickly, he looked up at Discord and smiled again.

"I'm falling in love with her…" Flash said and the words made Discord laugh. He swept his friend up in his lion arm and pumped his eagle claw.

"Yes! I knew it! So I take it my interruption didn't ruin too much?" He asked and Flash shook his head pulling out of his friend's hold.

"No I'm pretty sure you interrupted something important...but it will come when the times right…"

Discord nodded and then remembered what he had come to think about. He looked at Flash and said...

At the same time Flash remembered his and Twilight's conversation and said...

"There's something I need to talk to you about."

The two froze then burst out laughing. Discord wiped away a tear and chuckled,

"Some things never change...alright me first...age before beauty after all."

Flash rolled his eyes, but nodded as he sat back on the couch. Discord's smile fell as he thought of what he had witnessed in the garden.

"Flash, something strange is going on...right now when we were returning from the garden Fluttershy...she reacted to something in a strange way, like she was frightened and…"

"Was it Queen Celestia?" Flash interrupted him, and thoroughly shocked him. He stared at his captain and said,

"How did you…"

"That's what I need to talk to you about my lord. Right now before you came in, me and the princess. We were talking about you and Fluttershy…"

"You told her about my wish to.."

"Well she basically guessed it herself. You are not one for subtlety my lord."

This made Discord chuckle and nod in agreement. He went to sit in one of the winged chairs and stared at his captain, he placed his chin in his claw and indicated for his friend to continue.

"Well...when I mentioned that you had asked Fluttershy to be your queen and she refused, Twilight was just as confused as we were...then she realized something we hadn't. Between the two of us we may have come up with a theory.

"That night when she disappeared, Fluttershy was kept away from us by the queen. We believe that during that time, Queen Celestia somehow convinced Fluttershy that she shouldn't be with you. Most likely, Twilight believes, that she guilted her into believing she was putting herself above others. Something that Twilight says the mare never does."

Discord was nodding at all this, what Fluttershy had told him a little while ago confirmed all this. He found himself growing angry at the thought of somepony threatening his beautiful Fluttershy. Guilt-trip or something else, that's exactly what Celestia had done and he wouldn't stand for it. He growled,

"I will have to have a little chat with Celestia…"

Flash frowned at him and said,

"I don't believe that is wise my lord. If you let her know that you are aware of what she did, there may be repercussions for the poor mare in question. After all Celestia's kingdom really needs these funds and…"

"And she will get them regardless of who I marry...I have promised Fluttershy that I will help them financially." Discord growled again and it shocked Flash. He stared at his king and whispered,

"What? Maybe you should tell me the rest."

Discord sighed and did just that. Telling him about the arrangement he made with Fluttershy. How on the night of the ball he would have his answer, he would know if he would be gaining a queen or not. If he had finally found a mare who could love him...

"Discord...what if...what if she doesn't come?" Flash whispered and it stabbed Discord in the heart to even consider that. He kept telling himself that it wouldn't happen and the constant reminder that it could hurt. It hurt more than anything he had ever felt before, he didn't want to think about losing her.

"If Fluttershy won't be mine...then I won't have a queen. I will not have any mare but her Flash...it's selfish I know, since my people need a queen...but...I can't take another mare as my wife when my heart belongs to Fluttershy."

Flash nodded, but thankfully didn't comment. Discord hated being selfish when it came to his people. Their needs should always come before his own, but this one time...just this once he couldn't do that. He would have Fluttershy or he would have no one.

"I plan on telling Celestia and Luna that I will help them financially. After I inform them of this...I think a little extra incentive will be given for the queen to leave Fluttershy alone." Discord growled again. He was usually one to keep hold of his temper, something he had learned from his friend. However in this case, he couldn't control the rising rage. He felt very protective of his darling Fluttershy, almost to the point of obsession, which frightened the hell out of him.

He would tell the alicorn that under no circumstances was she to threaten or harm the pegasus or he would do something he had never done before. Had never thought about doing. Even with the changeling kingdom…he growled again and his anger must have been apparent for Flash was looking at him with deep concern.

"Discord...don't do anything rash…"

"Too late…" Discord muttered as he snapped his fingers and a maid appeared next to him. By now the servants were used to being summoned in such a manner and didn't flinch when it happened. However the maid did cower a bit when she noticed the anger in her king's eyes.

"Y-yes my l-lord?" Her voice quivered and the sound made Discord soften. He grinned at her and said,

"Relax Jubilee...please go fetch Queen Celestia and Queen Luna and bring them to my chambers."

Jubilee nodded and left the library to complete the task. Discord rose from his chair and Flash flew in front of him, glaring at his king.

"What are you planning on doing?" Flash whispered and Discord growled as he moved the stallion out of the way.

"Something I should have done that night..."