• Published 24th Oct 2014
  • 844 Views, 6 Comments

The Lives of Doctor Whooves - GrandSpellcaster



There is legend of a pony that appears every few centuries to help

  • ...
1
 6
 844

Chapter 1: First Meeting

There was a blast of magical energy as Discord's power was erased from the world leaving only his statue to remember his existence at all. As the wave of harmonious energy shot across the land a wide stone column began to slowly fade into existence accompanied by an odd gasping-wheezing sound. A young light blue unicorn mare stepped out of the now visible door her blue and pink mane flowing with the wind. She glanced over her surroundings and saw luscious green fields of grass with what looked like what might have been a town, filled with hundreds of ponies frolicking and dancing. She turned her head sideways and called into the column's door, "I thought we were going to see one of the most powerful magic’s in recorded history's effect on this planet grandfather?"

An elderly grey stallion stepped out of the column and readjusted his black coat, "We are. You saw the reading on the consul Starlight, the Elements of Harmony were just used."

"To return this planet back to normal." Starlight complained looking back at the field.

"It's not 'back to normal' child! A new diarchy was just instated and the land has been renewed." he said plucking a blade of up and tasting it.

"How am I supposed to learn about the effects of magic on planets if you only take me to the dull times?" Starlight asked.

"This isn't 'dull' and besides you've learned an important thing about magic, what one type can do the opposite can undo." He said walking towards some of the dancing ponies.

"Where are you going?" Starlight asked catching up to him, "You know it's against the rules to interfere." She said falling in stride beside him.

"I'm not interfering, I'm participating." He said as they approached the ponies.

"Those are the same things." Starlight said getting in his way.

"No its no...Okay you got me there. I just wanted to see how freedom from ten years of insanity feels." He said walking around her.

He walked up to a green pegasus stallion and pink earth pony mare that had been dancing with each other, "Hello friends!" the stallion said clearly elated.

"Yes, hello! Oh, hello good friends!" the mare said with the biggest possible smile.

"Hello how are you feeling this fine day?" The Doctor said giving subtle smile.

"We're just wonderful! Aren't we Shimmer?" The stallion said twirling the mare.

"Yes! Yes we are Cloud!" She answered giving him a kiss and the couple danced away.

"See child," The Doctor said turning to Starlight, "you're seeing the effects of magic on these ponies."

"I guess. But the magic isn't doing this, it's the lack of magic they're celebrating." She said looking around at the other celebrating ponies. Some of the ponies had fashioned crude instruments and were playing improvised melodies. Others sang along, while most danced enjoying the freedom.

"They're celebrating the freedom from Chaos magic, and celebrating the return of Harmony magic. If you want to, you could also consider the magic’s of love, friendship, and happiness" He said sitting on the soft grass.

"I wanted to see the chaos magic's effect on the ponies" Starlight complained.

"Why? We'd be put in danger and I won't allow that to happen." The Doctor said taking out a fob watch and checking the time. "Child go enjoy yourself or if you prefer interview the ponies on how they feel about the change, you'll need that data for you project anywise."

"Fine, I'll go collect 'data'" She said sarcastically, then walked over to another dancing pair.

The Doctor laid down fully and placed the watch back in his pocket. He looked up and saw a little black dot in the sky, then another, and another. Soon enough the other ponies started to notice and began to panic. Starlight returned to her grandfather just in time for the swarm reach the edge of the ponies. It wasn't long before the swarm had overtaken the group of dancing ponies, the black insectish ponies with blue eyes were brutally attacking the once celebrating ponies. One landed in front of the Doctor and attempted to bite him with its fangs only to be hit with a large rock thrown by Starlight.

"My dear, you levitated something!" The Doctor said in absolute amazement.

"I did! I did! I did! I did! I did!" She bounced with excitement, "I used magic! I used magic!"

He sounded proud as he said, "I knew you could do it!"

They made their way through the chaos towards the stone column as quickly as they could. As they moved they saw the ponies being beat, knocked out, and cocooned. They tried to ignore the screams of agony as they zigzagged through the insect-like ponies attack. They tried to act like they couldn't see the plight of these lesser life forms, they really did. But in the end they couldn't stop themselves, they couldn't let these poor ponies that had suffered through ten years of madness to suffer any longer.

Starlight broke away from her grandfather and ran to one of the cocoons, she stabbed her horn into it and ripped it open. "Get out!" She ordered the stallion she just freed.

"What are you doing?" The Doctor said grabbing her shoulder, "We're not allowed to interfere!"

"We can't just let them suffer!" Starlight objected.

"We have..." he never finished his sentence, as a blast of magical energy, from one of the insects, hit them. They flew several feet and landed on top of one of the cocoons causing it to burst open and freeing the pony trapped inside. They was covered in slime and as the Doctor rose out of the mess he face had a profound look of deep anger, it lasted for just a second before he calmed himself, but it was enough.

The pony looking thing that had attacked him advanced on him and prepared to shoot him again. It fired and the Doctor sidestepped the magic and closed the distance to the pony. He grabbed both sides of its head and place thought's in the insect-like pony's mind. The ponyish insect was afraid and as its fear grew it started to infect all of the nearby ponysects. In a matter of seconds all of the insectish ponies near them were terrified of the Doctor and started to swarm around him in an attempt to comfort him.

Not a single one of them wanted to go first so they asked in unison, "Who are you?!"

He simply replied, "I am the Doctor."

"You challenge us?!' the voices asked.

"I'm doing more than challenging you, I'm winning! With a single threat."

Then every one of them landed facing him, on one side they cleared a thin path for a much larger insect pony, she was easily twice the Doctor's size, almost thrice. Her Green eyes looked him over and she chuckled, "So you're the pony that's causing such fear in my subjects?"

"Yes" he said bowing lowly, "You must be their leader?"

"Then you must be put in your place. Subjects! Attack!" She shouted fiercely. It would have been intimidating if any of the insectoid ponies actually listened.

The Doctor smiled, "That's the problem with hive minds..." The Doctor said starting to pace inside the circle of ponyoid insects, as he neared any one ponyish insects they would flinch. "Once and idea gets started it just can't stop." He said as their fear grew.

That was the exact moment it happened, the queen's mental block was beaten and she felt the idea pushing into her head. Once it got in it was there to stay and she felt a greater fear than her subjects. In turn their fear amplified, which amplified hers. The vicious cycle was unbreakable and they knew it.

"What are you?" the queen asked shaking.

The Doctor walked up to her and she crouched defensively. He looked her in the eyes and said "I'm the Doctor, and I'm protecting these ponies. All ponies! So run far away and hide, I don't want to ever see another one of your kind ever again! Go and hide! And you better be good at it because if I find you I'll justify your fears! Now GO!! " At that they took flight in the direction they came from, disappearing just as fast as they came.

Starlight walked up to her grandfather, "That was amazing!"

"It was nothing..." He started but was interrupted by several of the ponies running up to him.

"Thank you!" One shouted.

"You saved us!" another added.

"I say he should lead us!" an orange stallion declared.

"Yah! He would make a great leader" a green mare added.

Before long the entire group of ponies were cheering his name, "Doctor! Doctor! Doctor!"

He made a quieting motion with his fore hooves and he led them to the hill with the column. As he stood on the hill slightly elevated above the ponies one of them began to chant, "Speech! Speech! Speech!" and the rest of them joined in.

He made the same motion to calm them down and they did so, "Now, now! I know you've been under the reign of madness for the last ten years. And I'm perfectly aware of the fact that you need leadership buuttt..." He drew out the last word as he saw two specks in the air. "What is that!?" he yelled pointing in the general direction of the spots. The entire crowd's attention turned towards where he was pointing and he and Starlight opened the now visible door on the column and slipped inside. As the crowd turned back towards him they saw the column start to fade in and out as a gasping wheezing sound.

Soon after its disappearance the two dots took shape and the white and dark blue alicorns landed. The white alicorn greeted the ponies, "I am Celestia and this is my sister Luna"

The dark blue one, Luna, asked "We have come because we saw a swarm of insects, what has happened?"

A stallion shouted, "We were saved from the Insect ponies!"

"Insect ponies?" Luna asked.

"Yes" a purple mare confirmed.

"What are insect ponies?" Luna asked.

"Horrible monsters" a cyan pegasus answered.

"How did you defeat them?" Celestia asked.

"We didn't! It was the Doctor who saved us!" a pink mare answered.

Luna raised an eyebrow and turned looked at her sister, "Where is this Doctor?"

"Gone" an orange stallion said with a frown and looking down.

Celestia's eyes went wide, "We're sorry for your loss" she said calmly, "this Doctor must have fought well to defeat the insect ponies."

A bright yellow mare replied, "He's not dead!"

"Yah!" several of the other ponies shouted towards the alicorns.

"Sorry." Celestia apologized, "The way he said 'gone' implied that your Doctor had perished."

"Indeed" Luna said confirming her sister’s assumption. "Now if I may ask? What do you mean by gone?"

"He just disappeared with the wide stone column" Another pony shouted.

"Disappeared with a wide stone column?" Celestia asked.

"Yah" the orange stallion confirmed.

"How very strange." the sisters said turning to each other.

Author's Note:

Nice simple beginning with a slightly familiar monster.
Don't worry the chameleon circuit will break next time round.
And as it stands I intend to have several of the companions be either related or some how influential to the mane six, or a character from the established canon, and maybe a few companions from the show.