• Published 5th Sep 2014
  • 975 Views, 23 Comments

When Stars Fade Away - thechicken95



Tragedy strikes Ponyville as one of its beloved is murdered in cold blood.

  • ...
1
 23
 975

Chapter Four: Ponyville

(Twilights POV)

The sun was beating down on me so hot that I felt like I was being engulfed in a pillar of fire. Not that it would make a difference, as seeing as the weather was the least of my problems. After I got out of the carriage, I started to stumble around like a drunkard. Damn it, this new body was putting extreme pressure on my joints, and it took all of my willpower in order to just stand up. I figured that I'd put my cloak on, as I did not want to see the other ponies reactions towards me.

Oh Celestia! I was starting to act like my former self. I had told myself never to act like that person ever again. Sigh. Well as they say, history repeats itself, I thought as I kept walking. The first building that I was introduced to was Sugar Cubs Corner. Funny that fate would have it to bring me to the place where me and my friends would often hang out, second most to my home.

As I entered, the place was the same, though with more of a solemness to it than I remembered. I kept on forgetting that after all, it was the day after my funeral.

"Well hello there. How can I be of service today?" It was Pound Cake. That smile of his always warmed my heart when I visited, I just couldn't help but smile myself.

"What kind of cupcakes do you have at the moment?" I asked politely.

"The most that we have right his are red velvet. But we do have a sale on the Pinkie Special ma'am." Pound Cake said.

"I'll just take the red velvet please." I said, sitting down on a table near the checkout. I hadn't noticed it before, but while I looked around SugarCube Corner, I noticed that there were a few more cracks in the building since the last time I've been there. I have to move on though, thinking about these small things will drive me insane, and it's hard enough as it is to focus on this transformation.

"Anyone order a red velvet?" I turned around to see Pinkie bouncing up and down the rows looking for that one lucky customer.

"Um. I did." I said with a whisper.

"Oh! It's you! You're the pony that I met yesterday!" Pinkie said, literally shaking with excitement.

"H-how did you know it was me?" I said, knowing if I knew, Pinkie would sense something is off.

"I know because I know every Pony in Ponhville, and I knew that you're new here! Plus, I have this sense that can tell me if a new person arrives. My now dead friend Twilight Sparkle told me that it was weird, but it just works you know?" Pinkie was speaking so rapid and excited that I could barely keep up with her,though I perked up hearing my name and the memory that came with it.

"Ok. Slow down. First off, what's your name again? I just have to remember because I'll be coming here more often."

"Oh sure! My name is Pinkie Pie and I am here to say-". Pinkie said before I cut her off. Her singing kind of had gotten on my nerves lately.

"Aww but everypony loves my signing! Fine, but I will make you smile one of these days!" Pinkie said, walking away rather disappointed. I felt kind of bad, because making Pinkie slump is a really hard thing to do. I walked to the counter and gave Pinkie a tip.

"This is for how I acted back there. Hope it helps!" I said, trying to force a smile.

"Oh! It's no worry at all! I was just sad for only a short moment, then I was fine!" Pinkie said. She recovered quicker than I remember her regaining her smile. A lot is changing I guess.

"Ok, good. Hey Pinkie, just one more question: is there anyplace in town that's hiring?" I asked. Unfortunately I had to get a job, as Celesatia wasn't going to be sending any bits my way this time around. If anypony caught wind of where they were being sent from, then I could easily be found out. Especially by Blueblood.

"Um.. Let me think. Oh! I think that they library is still open. I wouldn't do it though, as no one wants to fill in the shoes of the last owner." Pinkie said.

"I think I could do it. Someone's legacy isn't going to stop me from expanding my knowledge."

"That's the kind of spirt that would make Twilight proud! If anyone can do it, then it's you Morning Star!" Pinkie was filled with so much enthusiasm with my idea that it made me crack a smile. Fitting that I'll be returning to my old home.

"Hey Pinkie, who's running the library now anyway?" I was curious, and scared. Curious as to who would have opened the library so quickly after my funeral, and scared because I had a feeling for who it might be.

"Why it's none other than Blueblood! Snips and Snails are helping too, but only as secretaries." Pinkie confirmed my fears. Not only would I have to be working with Blueblood, but the last people I wanted to be working with were Dumb and Dumber. Though in retrospect, they aren't as bad as those random Alicorns that pop into town from this 'human world' that I'm nice to only so that they can get the hell away from me.

"Thanks for the heads up. Where is the library anyhow?" I asked, knowing that'll keep her Pinkie senses in check.

"It's not too far from here. You know, I could take you there!" Pinkie said.

"That'd be great! I need some company walking through Ponyville." I said.

While we were walking through the town, the same cracks that I noticed in SugarCube Corner I noticed throughout the rest of the town. It felt like the whole town shutdown when it was announced that I was dead. A raindrop hitting my mane snapped me out of my daydream.

"Hey Pinkie, isn't there supposed to be a Pegasus in charge of clearing up this weather? I don't want my first day here in Ponyville spent being soaked." I said.

"There sure is! Her name is Rainbow Dash, and it was her job to clean up the weather, but due to Twilight's death, all she's been doing now is drinking. I'm worried that she'll drink herself to death!" Pinkie said, visibly worried for Dash.

"Pinkie... Where's the nearest pub?"

"Why it's on the way towards the library! Though that's not the one that Dash goes to. No, she goes to the rough and tumble pub that's at the edge of town. I'd wait until she gets out, because those people are mean!" Pinkie was in too much shock of the thought so I decided to be silent. Mean was something that I'd gotten used to over my first year as Princess. Especially all the shit that I had to take from Blueblood and his posse. Though I decided to wait. I had to forgive Dash for what she said during our fight the night before my apparent death.

"That's fine. As long as I tell her she needs to get back to work. This rain is getting on my mind too much." Pinkie just nodded quickly, and we continued on our way. Walking through Ponyville at this time of day was usually beautiful, the mixing of the colors during sunset, seeing all of the different shades of oranges and yellows and pinks. But today there was a certain solemness and confusion to them all, not sure which one to be, kind of like the weather was one with Rainbow Dash's mind.

"There she is!" Pinkie said, pointing to Dash. Approaching her would be tough. While she had certainly had worse days before, something about her today was different. Her posture was off at a down angle, her head even lower, and she was taking slow, non-calculated steps, bumping into random bystanders.

"Hey sister! I brought a new friend over! Want to go and see-" was all she had to say before Dash snapped.

"No Pinkie! I don't want to see this 'new friend of yours! What I want is to be left the hell alone!" Rainbow then snarled, sending Pinkie into hysterics.

"But we just want to help you! We're all dealing with Twilights death. Don't drink yourself to death!"

"I'm not drinking myself to death Pinkie! Look how well I've pulled us together with Fluttershy acting the way she is! I can take a damn drink or two if I want!"

"Will both of y'all calm down?" The voice was Applejacks. Her and Rarity were running towards Rainbow Dash.

"Yes darlings. We mustn't fight like this for Twilights sake." Rarity said, putting a comforting hoof on Rainbow Dash.

"We're not fighting! I'm just sick and tired of you girls checking up on me! I'm fine!" Rainbow said, collapsing to the floor.

"Come on girls. We gotta go take her to Fluttershy! The hospital is all the way on the other side of town!" Applejack said carrying Rainbow Dash on her back.

"Can my new friend come with us?" Pinkie asked.

"Ah, I guess why not. I don't trust her though. She might be one of those who conspired to kill Twilight." Applejacks said.

We made our way to Fluttershy's in no time at all, seeing how it wasn't that far away from the pub.

"Fluttershy dear, could you please open the door to let us in! Dash collapsed after over drinking again!" Rarity said, knocking on the door. We herd no reply, but only extreme crying, meaning that she was in the room downstairs.

"Come on hun. Open up this door or we might force our way in." Applejack said, preparing to Apple buck the door. Just before she was about to, Discord opened the door.

"She's still not feeling too well, but she told me to let you guys in anyway. I'm doing the best I can to help calm her down, but none of my usual tricks are working." Discord said.

"Well, maybe today's the day we cheer her up! Oh! I almost forgot to introduce you to my new friend Morning Star!" Pinkie said, pointing to me.

"Oh, so that's Morning Star! I've heard of her influence all across Canterlot!" Discord said with a wink.

"Still don't trust you at all. Your nobility is makin me even more suspicious of ya Mornin." Applejack said, staring at me while we walked in.

"Hey Fluttershy, look what I found!" Pinkie said, holding out her rubber chicken. Fluttershy still didn't move from her position on the couch, still sobbing, almost flooding the room with water.

"Flutters, we need you to take care of their friend. Can't you please let them on your couch?" Discord said, hands out pleading withy Fluttershy.

"I'm not moving until Twilight comes back!! She can't be dead!" Fluttershy said, tears streaming out of her eyes.

"She's dead hun. We just gotta keep on truckin and accept it." Applejack said, resting Dash on an adjacent couch.

"No! She's not dead! She can't be! She's Twilight, an Alicorn! They can't die!"

"Sucks to say, but we learned a few days ago that they can. Once you accept it, we can move on and help Dash."

"No! I can't accept it! All of you get out! Discord will take care of Rainbow Dash, I just want to be left alone!"

"She's right. I think you all need to just leave her alone while I take care of Dashie over there. You guys can still come in daily to try and make Flutters feel better. With all of her moping around, I can't enjoy this chaos properly!" Discord said, showing us all out.

"Sure, why not. She needs time to get herself out of denial." Applejack said, as we walked out of Fluttershy's house.

"So.. What do we do now?" I asked.

"First of all, who in Celestia are you anyhow?" Applejack asked me.

"My name is Morning Star. I can tell you guys my story at the library if you want. I'm going there to apply for a job." I said.

"Why on earth would you apply there? That's the home of my former boyfriend, and he's a bit of a jerk." Rarity said.

"I need a job somehow. And the library feels the best fit for me guys. Besides, what's wrong with Blueblood?"

"He's probably the worst noble in all of Equestia!" Rarity said, flexing her voice. "You should know that from being a noble."

"My family has a very good relationship with the Bluebloods. I however, do not. I can tell you ladies more on the way." I said.

This part of the plan is really tricky. Do I tell Blueblood that I am a noble who's looking for peasant work and risk being exposed? Or do I play dumb and say I was adopted? Either way, it doesn't get easier from here. Dear Celestia help me.

Author's Note:

So Chapter Four is done! And it's my first 2,000 word chapter, so expect them to be around 1,500-3,500 words from here on out. Expect chapter five to come out within the next three days. Peace