• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 1,392 Views, 80 Comments

You Wouldn't Believe Me if I Told You - PinkiePiedPiper

  • ...
10
 80
 1,392

Chapter 2: Question Period

Alrighty, so that’s how my dream went, essentially. At first I was going to use this as a cheap way to get Steve into Equestria, but the overwhelming support for an actual Battle Royale with fighting ponies convinced me to really flesh this thing out. Added a tragedy tag, too.
I may be evil…

Aaaaand here is the disclaimer: I don’t own MLP: FiM, aside from my Pinkie, Rainbow, and Applejack figures. Oh, oops! I don’t own the RIGHTS to MLP: FiM. That belongs to Lauren Faust and Hasbro.

You Wouldn’t Believe Me if I Told You

Chapter 2: Question Period

“What the hay was that!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, understandably confused and distraught, still rubbing her eyes. They all were.

Sven spoke up first, “That Eye you saw lives at the top of the tower a few miles away, and he is the one who brought us all here. Faendal and I… erm, I have been here for weeks already, I think. He summons people from all over to fight and play his sick games for his own amusement. I am the sole survivor of my whole village. Most everyone I ever knew is dead now…”

Twilight and Rainbow gasped in shock.

“Who could possibly do such a thing to innocent civilians?” Twilight asked, incredulous. “Does Princess Celestia know about this?”

Rainbow opened her eyes first, and, bitterly pleased to be the quickest to recover from their agony, stood up slowly and responded, “I doubt that, Twi. No way she’d let someone like that stick around Eque-“

She stopped mid-sentence as she suddenly began to process their surroundings.

Steve remarked, “Just figuring out you aren’t IN Equestria anymore, Rainbow?”

She ignored him, or perhaps failed to hear him at all. “You gotta see this, Twi. You know science, is this even possible?”

By now, the remaining three had recovered, mostly, from their most recent ordeal, and were also getting up. Twilight’s eyes seemed to bug out of their sockets as she noted the physical impossibility she was standing on.

“Not normally, but so far very little around here has been normal.” She stated matter-of-factly. “It’s not magic, that’s for sure. It must be pure power doing this! That Eye must be extremely powerful to manage to maintain this platform! And that tower! Why, I wouldn’t be surprised if his power is all that is keeping that massive structure up!”

Steve then finally realized the true reason the tower collapsed once the ring was destroyed. And to think it took a pony 30 seconds to figure out something I couldn’t in all the years I’ve been watching it!

Sven was merely marvelling at the pastel purple talking pony. One who was far smarter than anyone he had ever encountered.

They both then noticed that the walls, and any trace of Faendal, had vanished.

Twilight continued, “It must be power, because if it was magic then I would be able to… MY MAGIC!”

Sven and Steve reeled back at the sudden outburst. Rainbow Dash’s mood fell like a rock. A wingless, flightless rock.

“MY LIFE IS RUIIIIIIINED! I’ll NEVER be part of the Wonderbolts with NO WINGS! This is even worse than Discord!”

Sven looked from her to Steve, quizzically.

“Long story. A few actually.”

“Will they always be this loud and moody?”

“Off and on. You’ll get used to it.”

Steve walked to the two wailing ponies he knew so well from his favourite show. He put both his arms around them, trying desperately to console them.

“Don’t worry you two,” he cooed. “Sure you had your powers and wings removed and are in a different dimension with no way back being forced to fight to the death against each other and total strangers for the pleasure of an ancient, evil burning eyeball. It can’t get any worse, can it?”

They both stopped sobbing abruptly and glared at him.

“Who the buck are you?”

* * * * *

I really wish there was a night here…

Twilight, Sven, and Rainbow Dash were all curled up near the center of the platform, sleeping. Steve sat at the edge of the grassy knoll, his feet hanging over the nothingness below, facing the fire adorned tower far in the distance. He couldn’t sleep, not so much because of the excitement, but because it was perpetually dusky; much too bright for him to manage sleep at this point.

Introductions had gone rather smoothly. Well, as smoothly as Steve could have expected.

Sven took in the stories of other dimensions rather well, once he managed to understand the concept. He could not, however, grasp that his universe was at the basis for a video game in Steven’s reality, and that another one was populated and ruled by colourful, magical flying ponies. Steve had noticed the strain that this was having on his brain by the pained, confused look in his eyes.

Oh well, he’ll get over it. Maybe.

The girls were also rather shocked to learn that they were also known in his home dimension. But that their lives were broadcast publicly in a children’s television show? That had even sent Twilight’s head for a spin! They did accept it as true, eventually, if only because of his uncanny knowledge of their lives in the past two years.

I’m just glad they never asked why I was watching it. Steve snickered. Closet brony through and through. Can’t even admit to the actual ponies that I like their show.

Wonder if I’m messing up the dimensions by revealing all of this? Meh, doubt it. Like we’ll ever get out of here to actually use this information!

He remained there for the whole night, according to his watch, staring into oblivion, kicking his feet, humming various tunes from his iPod back home, most of them Skyrim, Lord of the Rings, and pony related.

* * * * *

Twilight was the first to awaken. She yawned and stretched, glancing casually and Rainbow, and bolted upright at the sight of Sven’s back, lying right next to her. Quickly her mind caught up with her, filling in the blanks as she grudgingly verified for herself that that the day before had not been a dream.

She then noticed Steve sitting by himself on the edge of their square little world. It dawned on her that he had saved her live the day before, and she had never properly thanked him, or thanked him at all. Righting herself to her hooves, she slowly walked over to him, clearing her throat so as to announce her presence without startling him.

That could end very badly. She grimaced at the thought.

Steve turned his head to face her. “Good morning, Twilight. Sleep well?”

“How do you do it?” she asked, sitting on her haunches beside him.

Steve paused. “Do what?”

Twilight elaborated. “How are you so… so… happy? You know as well or better than anyone of us here what is going on, and what is going to happen to us.” She gestured to the two sleepers, growing quieter. “To all of us.”

Steve paused and thought for a moment, looking away from his favourite pony and back into the void. “The way I see it,” he began slowly, picking at stalks of grass and dropping them over the edge, “Nobody and nopony here is gonna be around for much longer, and that would be enough for anybody to be depressed. In my case, I guess I’m just content. I’ve met a character from my favourite video game, been tortured by the villain in my favourite movie, and met the two greatest ponies in Equestria.” Steve smiled. Twilight blushed lightly. “If my life is gonna end soon, at least it ended interesting.”

Twilight looked at the tower miles away, sitting quietly in thought for a minute, mulling it over. “You know what? I guess this is the most interesting way to go. Beats getting old and boring, eh?” She smiled weakly.

Steve snickered. “Yeah, who wants that? That is sooooo overrated,” drawing out the ‘o’ for blatant sarcasm.

They sat in silence for a while, smiles fading into more neutral expressions, staring into the abyss and enjoying each other’s company. Suddenly, Twilight turned to him and gave a little nuzzle on his cheek.

Steve turned in surprise at the display of affection. “Thank you. For saving me the other day, I mean,” she said somewhat awkwardly. “I am really glad to have met you. I just hope we all won’t have to fight one another like Sauron said.” She drooped her head slightly and gave a shudder at the idea.

Steve put a hand under Twilight’s chin, raising her eyes to his. “I will never hurt anypony, especially you and Rainbow Dash. Shoot, I couldn’t even if I wanted to! Nobody’s gonna hurt my little ponies, I’ll make damn sure of that! We will all get through this, I promise you, somehow or other…”

“You can’t promise that.”

“Oh yes I can! Look, I’ll even Pinkie Promise!” He went through the motions. Twilight smiled. “Now I have to do it! If I don’t Pinkie will come here, and then Sauron will have to watch his back!”

“Funny thing is,” Twilight giggled, “is that I don’t doubt she would come here! There is no way Sauron would be able to contain that crazy ball of energy!”

They both laughed quietly at the thought of Pinkie encountering that evil Eye, either annoying him to death or throwing him a party, both of which were satisfying mental images. But our thoughts were cut short by a sudden gasp from Rainbow Dash behind us.

“Umm… guys?” She began shakily. “I think you had better come over here.”

“Why? What’s up R.D.?” Steve asked tentatively.

“I’m no expert on humans,” she paused, “but I think Sven is dead.”