• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 1,390 Views, 80 Comments

You Wouldn't Believe Me if I Told You - PinkiePiedPiper

  • ...
10
 80
 1,390

Chapter 22: Room Service

I don’t own MLP: FiM. That belongs to Lauren Faust and Hasbro.

You Wouldn’t Believe Me if I Told You

Chapter 22: Room Service

A bird chirped.

Twilight moaned lightly, turning over in her bed and tangling up her sheets. The let out the kind of sigh one makes after a restful night’s sleep as she rolled to face her window. Opening her eyes slowly, she looked out her bedroom window on the top floor of her treehouse library home, which was half open and letting in a glorious summer morning breeze smelling of flowers and baked goods. The bright red bird which sat on the windowsill chirruped happily another few times before flitting away suddenly. The sun streamed in through the large window, casting warm rays across the room.

She slumped back in her bed, enjoying the warmth of the sun, the comfort of her bed, and the scent of the air. Not used to sleeping in, she revelled in the experience, not remembering if there was something she needed to do today. She could hear the sounds of the other townsponies talking and laughing outside, obviously having their own good times out and about on such a gorgeous day.

She also heard somepony downstairs in the kitchen. Glancing at the bed opposite her, she noticed that Spike was not there, and figured he was the one fixing some breakfast for himself. Twilight reflected on the young dragon assistant of hers, who had just last year outgrown his beloved basket and taken up residence in her spare room. Sometimes, however, he still liked to sleep up in her room for old times’ sake and the comfort of her company. She did not mind in the slightest, as the young dragon was her best friend; a little brother to her more than an assistant or colleague.

Just then something broke her reverie; hoofsteps on the stairs up to her room.

Hoofsteps.

Wondering who would need to see her so urgently as to approach her bedroom, Twilight sat up slightly and regarded the door curiously. The handle jiggled lightly and the door swung gently open, revealing a steel-blue pegasus stallion with a red mane. She recognized Steve immediately and smiled. He was carrying a tray in his mouth bearing an assortment of savoury breakfast foods. He set it on her bedside table so he could speak

“Good morning, Twi! I didn’t know you were up yet. I hope you don’t mind, but I just whipped up breakfast for you.” He smiled and gestured to the tray.

Twilight glanced outside again for a second and returned her attention to him. “Breakfast in bed? That’s certainly a surprise! Of course I don’t mind! Would you care to join me?”

Steve smiled back at her, blinking in the sunlight flooding into the room. Jumping up onto her bed, he stepped over her to the window side. Playfully, he gave a light kick to her ribs as he went. As he plopped himself down, Twilight giggled and shoved him in mock disapproval, all the while with a big grin on her face.

“It was an accident, I swear!” Steve surrendered.

“Sure it was, Steve. And so was this!”

Still half beneath the covers, she twisted and tackled him against the wall her bed was sidled up against. They wrestled playfully for few minutes, laughing softly and hopelessly tangling themselves in the sheets in the process. When they stopped, Twilight had Steve pinned underneath her, his forelegs wrapped tightly to his sides and unable to escape. They paused, panting from mild exertion; still smiling.

“We really have to come up with a better name than Steve. It sounds… odd.”

“What do you suggest?”

Thinking, she looked around for inspiration. From her elevated position, Twilight could see the ponies milling around in the square outside her house through the window. Many of them were not out of the ordinary; a common sight around Ponyville. But it was some of the others, such as Sapphire Shores and Fleur de Lis, who really caught her attention. Puzzled, she wriggled herself out of the blankets and leaned on the windowsill to get a better view. The breeze had turned, and now it smelled more unpleasant, as if the baked goods had become baked bads, and then burned. She saw Ditsy talking with Bon Bon and Trixie, and something in her mind clicked. She looked at Steve with wide eyes. The sheet was gone, and Steve stepped up beside her.

“Aren’t you dead?” she asked in shocked quietness. “And if you’re here, does that mean I’m…”

Steve wrapped his forelegs around her in an embrace, which she reciprocated. He made soothing shush sounds in her ear as tears welled in her eyes.

“No, you aren’t dead,” he said gently, “and neither are we.”

Suddenly, they weren’t in her room anymore, but in the square amidst the other ponies. She looked around at her friends and acquaintances, all of whom looked back at her with genuine smiles, some smiles were coupled with tears. The sky had clouded over with menacing black soot clouds, and the smell of sulfur was rising almost as fast as the temperature.

Twilight tried to let go and give them all a hug, but her hooves were locked in place around Steve’s neck. She jerked a few times to get free, but they were magically sealed.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you. The dream world we created for you is dissolving, and in reality you are unconscious a few kilometers off the ground on Disc- Party Favour’s back.”

Twilight looked around panicked. The whole town, her library included, were wavering and vanishing with startling rapidity.

“No, we aren’t dead. Party Favour absorbed our essences in his scales to save us and gain our powers to fight Sauron from the very beginning. Everypony here is fine.”

“We talked some things over before you went unconscious, and we agreed that you have to use the Elements of Harmony on Sauron. We tried to contact you before, but your waking mind was too busy and active for the message to get through. We think they should still work, because all six elements are here, in a sense.”

The ground below them had begun to disappear as well, the whole group slowly rising towards the clouds and standing as if they had remained on the grass. The wind was picking up as they rose perfectly vertically, their manes and tails thrashing around. The smell of burning earth and sulfur continued to sharpen.

“But how will we get enough time to use them? He isn’t exactly standing still like the rest of the times we’ve used them.”

“I thought of that, too. I just so happen to have watched a movie involving a very similar scenario to this one. I’ll have to skip the plot and go right to the end; we don’t have that much time…”

* * * * *

“Sound good?”

“Yeah, I got it.”

The wind howled around them, blasting right in Twilight’s face. The other ponies had gone rather quickly, leaving only Steve and Twilight rocketing through the clouds. The sounds of Sauron’s crackling wings and enraged roars had begun filtering into her mind as she neared wakefulness.

“Good. Just remember we all believe in you. You can do this, you have to.”

She nodded, still wrapped around his neck, which had begun to elongate as he twisted around to face forwards.

“Anything else before I go?”

“I’ve been thinking of a name for you, something having to do with protection, or safety.”

“While I was telling you the plan?”

“I’m a smart girl, I can think about two things at once.”

“Granted,” he conceded. “So what, like… Force Field? Or maybe to be more accurate: Meat Shield?”

She laughed, closed her eyes, and shook her head, “No, those are horrible. I was thinking more along the lines of a wall, or tower, or a bastion. Hmmm…bastion…. Yes! That’s it! That’s the perfect name for you!”

“What is?” Steve inquired curiously.

“Bastion, Stalwart Bastion.” She mumbled, grinning proudly.

“What are you saying back there?” Party Favour asked, somewhat breathlessly.

Twilight opened her eyes. Instead of Steve, or Stalwart Bastion, rather, she was again clasped around Party’s neck. They were hurtling through the air just under the clouds, with a huge, angry obsidian dragon bearing down on them. It let out a terrifying roar, mimicking the sound of burbling lava, grating boulders, forest fires, and thunder; all amplified a hundredfold.

“Have a nice nap?” Party asked with a feigned nonchalant air. He was getting tired from flying at high speed for so long, not to mention with a passenger. Twilight looked at what Discord was holding underneath him.

Make that three passengers. Pinkie had passed out herself, her tail badly burned and her body speckled with cuts and scrapes. Cherry was in similar condition, minus the degree of burns and being very much awake. Both were under separate arms of the grey draconequus.

“Any chance you could cobble together some sort of plan?” Party strained. “I’m just about to be done here.”

“I do, in fact. It’s just a little something I… dreamed up.”

“…Clever girl…”

* * * * *

“Clever girl, indeed…”