• Published 4th Sep 2014
  • 723 Views, 20 Comments

A Regular Horse. - beau101023



A regular horse comes to Equestria. Shenanigans ensue.

  • ...
9
 20
 723

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

Welp, this is my first attempt at writing decent fanfiction, we'll see how it goes.

“I wonder what we’re going to have for lunch when we get home,” said a very hungry Spike, looking pleadingly at Twilight.

“I’ll tell you when we get there,” Twilight said in a gruff, annoyed voice. This was the seventh time Spike had asked that in the past 5 minutes for Celestia’s sake!

Spike was getting hungrier by the second, the smell of the food Twilight had bought at the market was driving him crazy! “But Twilight!” Spike begged. “Can’t I have just a little bit of food?”

“Not until we get to the library,” Twilight reprimanded. “You aren't going to die of starvation, you know.” Spike just stared bleakly ahead, succumbing to his imagined fate.


“We’re home!” Twilight said, flinging the door wide open. Spike gave Twilight a strange look.

“Why’d you do that?” he asked.

“Why did I do what?” Twilight said quizzically.

“You told an empty room we were home,” Spike said, looking at Twilight blankly. Twilight turned a deep shade of red.

“It was just for dramatic effect!” she said hurriedly.

“What’s that?” Spike said, looking worried that he had missed the point. “Is that some magic ritual to make people faint?” Twilight groaned.

“Oh, forget it. I’m going to go into the kitchen to make some lunch,” Twilight said.

“Ooh! Can I come too?” Spike asked, looking giddy.

“No Spike. I don’t want you gobbling up my ingredients,” Twilight said teasingly. Spike just looked sullen, and headed to the living area.


Spike sat sadly on the couch. Twilight always said he ate too much, but he was a growing dragon. He needed that food! It wasn’t his fault he was a little overweight. As he absentmindedly twiddled his thumbs he thought he heard a sound coming from the closet, but he dismissed it as coming from his growling stomach. “Spike! lunch is almost ready!” He heard Twilight calling from the kitchen. Spike was in the kitchen before she finished the first word.

“What are we eating?!” he said enthusiastically.

“Oat burgers with hay fries,” Twilight replied with amusement. Spike groaned.

“Again?” he whined.

“Aaaaand…. A gem cake for dinner!” Twilight proclaimed with an air of showmanship.

“Really?” Spike’s eyes went wide. “AWESOME!” he yelled as he proceeded to do three laps around the kitchen before running out of breath. He grabbed Twilight’s legs in a tight hug, then slumped to the floor giggling.

“Geez, I knew you liked gems, but boy, you’re sure excited about this,” Twilight said, looking down at him as he lay on the floor. She helped him up from the ground and sent him off into the next room to set the table. As she finished preparing the food, she thought about all the time she and him had spent together, she had known him for so long they were practically family, and even though they weren't really related by blood, Twilight had always thought of him as her little brother… maybe even her son.

Twilight brought out the first course of the meal with a knowing grin on her face, as spike started devouring his first helping almost before it touched his plate. Almost since he was hatched, he had been a big eater. He always said he was a growing dragon, but his eating habit had added a few extra pounds to that. Twilight always tried to limit his food intake, but he would always find a way to sneak a little extra food, so she eventually just gave up on that idea. He always looked so happy when he was having a meal, especially on this particular day. “Leave some for me, Spike,” she said teasingly.

“I dunno…” Spike said slyly “I might eat it all if you don’t hurry and get some,”

“Well I guess I better grab it quickly.” Twilight said, well aware of the fate of her food if she didn't eat it soon. As she grabbed her food she could’ve sworn she heard a small noise coming from the living room, but she didn't think anything of it.

After they had finished their meal, Twilight decided to retire to the living room for some light reading, and Spike had gone over to a friend’s house to play. As Twilight was reading, she wondered if she had been a good enough guardian for spike over the years. Right in the middle of this most profound thought, she was suddenly interrupted by a loud crash coming from the broom closet, followed by what sounded like mad cackling. Twilight jumped from her chair, tipping it over in the process, and fled to the other side of the room in record time. “Spike? Is that you?” she asked with marked hesitance. There was no answer, not one sound emanated from the broom closet. Twilight was getting nervous now. “Whoever you are, come out!” she said, fear evident in her voice. Still, not a peep was heard from the old broom closet.

“I’m warning you! I’m well trained in Fu-Kung!” she said. Still no answer as Twilight crept up to the door. “Alright, you asked for it!” she yelled, then with one swift motion, she ripped the door open. “Aha!” Twilight said to the empty broom closet. “Huh? I could’ve sworn there was someone in here…” she said uneasily. She stared into the broom closet for another moment before shutting it with a puff of dust. “Well that was strange,” she said, turning around to go back to her book. “GAHH!” she screamed, looking up at the figure looming above her. After she had stopped hyperventilating, she realized it was only another pony. “You startled me sir,” she said breathlessly. The stallion in front of her just whinnied. “Wow. You’re a lot bigger than most stallions I've seen,” Twilight said. The large white stallion whinnied again. “You aren't much of a talker are you?” she asked. The stallion just looked at her curiously. “What’s your name?” she asked, wondering what he was doing wandering around the library. The stallion snorted. “Well I suppose it’s your business. I’m Twilight Sparkle,” Twilight said, eyeing him curiously. “I haven’t seen you around Ponyville,” she said, “are you from out of town?” The stallion turned to the right, facing the kitchen. With one last glance in Twilight’s direction, he trotted briskly into the kitchen.

“Oh, are you hungry?” Twilight asked, wondering if the stallion had any food of his own. “If you want, I can get you something,” she said. The stallion looked blankly at Twilight, then pushed his muzzle up against the icebox. “I’ll take that as a yes,” she said, irritated this rude stallion still wouldn't talk to her. As she was getting some (exceedingly rare) leftovers from the icebox, a profound thought occurred to her. “How exactly did you get here?” she asked. “I mean, I know the front door’s unlocked, but I didn't hear the entrance bell ring.” The stallion just looked at the food blankly. “Ugh. Never mind, here,” she set the food on the kitchen counter with a clunk. “You can eat this if you want,” she said, exasperated. “I don’t even know why I’m giving you this.” The stallion simply went to work on the food without a word.


“Twilight! I’m home!” Spike called into the library. That’s odd… Where is she? He thought.
“Twilight? Are you here?” He called again. Where could she be? He thought as he walked up the stairs. “Twilight!” He called, getting nervous. He walked back down the stairs, then turned to go into the kitchen. “There you are!” he said with relief as Twilight stood before him. “Why didn't you answer me when I called?” he questioned, a hurt look etched on his face.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn't hear you call, I was busy talking at our guest,” Twilight said with a hint of annoyance. Spike slowly realized there was another pony in the room, a rather big, muscular pony.

“Oh, Umm...” Spike said uneasily. “Hello there.” “So is he a friend of yours?” he asked Twilight awkwardly.

“No, I just met him 30 minutes ago,” Twilight said blandly, “and he doesn't talk at all.” she said, irked.

Weird, Spike thought. “Well that’s... interesting,” he said hesitantly, “but what’s he doing here?” he said quizzically. “No offense sir,” he added quickly.

“I... honestly have no idea,” Twilight said reluctantly, “he just came here, and wanted food for whatever reason, so I gave him some.”

“Huh,” Spike said. “but why come here for food?” Spike asked.

“No idea, I can’t get a word out of him,” Twilight said, sounding very irritated. “He just came in here, entered the kitchen, and shoved his muzzle up against the icebox, as if he can’t open it for himself,” she said angrily, “and after I so graciously feed him even though I live in a library, not a restaurant, he doesn't even speak to me once!” She ended, pointing a shaking hoof at the stallion in question. The stallion simply looked blankly at her. “And he’s been giving me this funny look ever since he got here!” She added breathlessly.

“Calm down Twilight, he can’t be that bad,” Spike said, mystified at her frustration. Just then, Spike noticed the empty plate of food sitting on the table. “Umm, Twilight?” He asked.

“What?” she replied.

“Did he eat everything in the icebox?” Spike inquired nervously.

“Pretty much. Why?” she asked.

“Where were you keeping the cake?” Spike asked, starting to sweat.

“In the iceb-oh… Oops…” Twilight said sheepishly
.
“You let him eat the cake?!” Spike said, horror evident in his voice.

“It was an accident!” Twilight said defensively.

“Oh man… That cake looked so good…” Spike said with deep sorrow.

“But wait…” Twilight said abruptly, interrupting Spike’s spiral into self-pity, “How did he eat the gems in the cake?” She asked with shock. They both turned slowly to look at the stallion. He just looked blankly back at them.