• Published 23rd Aug 2014
  • 2,080 Views, 277 Comments

Reddux the Tyrant - PaulAsaran



Without warning, the dragons have attacked Equestria. Now three young ponies struggle to find their place in the looming conflict. Can Celestia make peace before her lands are annihilated, or will the feared Reddux crush all who oppose him?

  • ...
5
 277
 2,080

Transit

Reddux the Tyrant

Chapter XVII
Transit

The first thing that told Fine he was awake were the sledgehammers pounding against his cranium. He groaned and rubbed his forehead with both hooves, wondering what he’d done to deserve such pain. When he finally opened his eyes, he was staring at the familiar blue ceiling of the travel tent he’d purchased in Estéril Pezuñas. His memory returned slowly, as if his brain sought to spoon feed him to prevent overwhelming him with information.

He rolled over and sat up, wincing at the pain the act produced. Reaching back, he felt a large bump on the back of his head. Well, that explained a little. He blinked to clear his vision, his eyes finally falling upon his packs in a corner of the tent. He tested his magic and, relieved to encounter no pain from doing so, promptly pulled the packs closer. A quick examination found the bread; though his stomach rumbled, he only ate a few bites.

With his hunger sated for the time being, he turned his attention to the half-opened tent flap. Light streamed through the opening, agitating his headache, but he muscled his way past the pain and approached. Carefully, he pulled back the other flap, gradually taking in the harsh light. It took several seconds for his vision to clear, at which point he finally pushed his way through.

He noticed the dragon immediately; it was impossible not to. Parjin’s head rose from the dirt to study him with a toothy smile. “Ah, the young warrior lives after all.”

“Fine!” He winced at the shout and turned to see Fleur standing beside the tent, where his notebook lay open. She hurried to him and pressed in close. “You’re okay! You were out so long, I was starting to worry.”

“Quietly, please,” he grumbled, rubbing his head as she stepped back. “I’ve got enough of a headache as it is.”

“Sorry.” Fleur blushed and sat before him, looking him up and down. “Other than that, how are you feeling?”

“Not bad, considering I had an entire lake fall on my head.” He thought back on those last confusing, terrifying moments and shuddered. “I… don’t remember everything. That happens when water is involved.” He blushed and glanced away. “I didn’t… panic or say crazy things, did I?”

“Panic?” Fleur tilted her head. “By the time I found you, you were already unconscious.”

“Good.” He closed his eyes and was hit by a vision of a massive mouth, sharp fangs and lots of water. A shudder ran through him. “I appreciate the solution, Fleur, but don’t expect me to be very helpful in situations where water is involved.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Don’t worry about it.” He turned to Parjin, who watched them with a curious smile. “Hello again, Elderwyrm. I take it Fleur’s caught you up with everything?”

“She has, indeed.” Parjin raised a lone claw, displaying the purple and green egg. “And she delivered to me this, for which I am most grateful.”

At the sight of the egg, Fine wilted. “I’m sorry we couldn’t save the others.”

“On the contrary, the eggs are not lost,” Parjin said. “You’d be amazed how resilient dragon eggs can be. They are buried, true, but I’d wager most, if not all, are intact. We need only recover them, which the dragons will do as soon as I have gone to share this news. You did well, my friend, and have my deepest appreciation.”

With that weight lifted off his shoulders, Fine’s attention immediately turned to his other considerations. “What about the changelings? Tialvis?”

Here Parjin’s smile faded to a grim frown. “I watched the lake drain as the tunnels collapsed. Tialvis never appeared. In all likelihood, she has drowned along with the vast majority of her allies. I drove off the few changelings that survived.”

Fine dropped to his belly, wincing as his head throbbed. “Then it’s done. Reddux can’t possibly gain the support he needs from the hoards.”

“The fighting is not over,” Parjin replied, his firm tone catching Fine’s attention. “Reddux and Eruk will continue to attack Equestria even without the help of the other dragons. Even so, we may convince the hoards to come to your aid, swiftly ending the conflict.”

“That’s good to know.” Fine stretched, his back emitting a loud pop that made him moan. That done, he turned to Fleur. “Well then, I guess this means our mission is done. Best head back to civilization.” He leaned sideways to look over her shoulder. “I see you managed to read my notebook.”

Fleur smirked, her horn glowing as the book rose and hovered between them. “Told you I’d get it eventually. You’ve got some interesting ideas in there; I like the mafia concept in particular.”

He grinned and accepted the notebook. “Thanks. Now if I can just… what’s this?” A letter dropped from between the pages. He caught it before it could hit the dirt.

“Oh, that appeared while you were sleeping,” Fleur said. “I haven’t read it, I figure it’s probably related to your hush-hush job.”

He stared at her. “You didn’t look at it? How’d you manage that?”

She fidgeted and glanced away with a blush. “It was tempting, but… I’m the apprentice now, right? I should at least try to respect that role. Good impressions and all.”

Fine continued to gaze at her, but then gained a warm smile. She gawked in response, to which he could only laugh. “Alright, then. Let’s see what my boss has to say.” He opened the letter and poured over its contents.

Fleur turned to Parjin. “Thanks for telling me more about the history of Equestria. It was very interesting!”

Parjin gave her a toothy smile. “It was the least I could do, young one. I would be happy to tell you more, in the off chance you ever visit the Burning Lands.”

“I’ll have to think on that,” she replied pleasantly. “It does seem a little too—”

“Holy. Buck.”

They turned their attention to Fine, who had dropped the letter and was staring with wide eyes at the horizon.

Fleur hesitated, then took a step closer. “Fine? What’s wrong?”

He didn’t answer, for his analytical mind was a swimming through the possibilities brought up by the letter, each more terrible than the last. He only jolted out of it when Fleur tapped him on the shoulder, making him jump as if shocked. He immediately turned to Parjin. “Can you fly us to Estéril Pezuñas? Now?”

Parjin’s head reared slowly as he considered the question. “I could, of course, but I must return to the Burning Lands. The dragons—”

“There’s no time!” Fine jumped to his hooves. “My boss has disappeared, and he was looking for Celestia. The princess is missing, my boss is missing…” He shivered as memories of the earlier interrogation returned to him. “The changelings… The changelings may have Celestia, and if they do all of Equestria is in far bigger trouble than any of us thought!”

Fleur covered her lips with both hooves, eyes going wide. “B-but if they have the princess while she’s in a recovery sleep, they… they…”

“They’ll put her in one of those pods,” Fine finished for her with a grim nod. “I don’t think any of us can imagine how bad that would be.”

“Your point is made,” Parjin hissed, standing and stretching his massive golden wings. “I would not let those foul creatures bring harm to the princess.” He extended his palm to the ground. “Climb on, both of you. I will fly you with all due haste to the city. Let us pray it is not too late.”


Fancy stared at the bodies. There were dozens of them, arranged in neat circles throughout the cool room of the tower. The temperature had already dropped precipitously, but it wasn’t the chill that made him shiver so much as the thought that there were two more floors of bodies above him.

“You shouldn’t keep coming here.”

Fancy glanced over his shoulder to find Colonel Mander approaching him. The colonel hobbled, one of his legs in a splint, but if he was in any pain there was no indication of it on that stoic face.

“I know,” Fancy said. “It’s unhealthy. Even so, I feel I owe it to them to make sure everything’s right.”

The colonel carefully sat, shifting his leg to as comfortable a position as possible, then patted Fancy’s shoulder. “Don’t worry, your unicorn pals know what they’re doing. They’ll have this place colder than the Frozen North within a couple hours.”

Fancy lowered his head with a sigh. “I can’t believe we have to leave them here.”

“They’ll last until we can return with wagons,” Colonel Mander reminded him. “They’ll get their burial, Fancy. Even the changeling, though I don’t know why you’re so determined to give it the same rights as a pony.”

“‘It’ was a ‘she,’” Fancy growled. “Just because they are our enemies doesn’t mean we don’t need to show respect. We’d want them to do the same for us.”

The colonel huffed. “As if they would.”

Fancy shot him a glower. “That doesn’t mean we have to behave in the same way. I’m sure Celestia would agree.”

“Probably,” Colonel Mander said, “but I’m a soldier, not a princess.”

With a sigh, Fancy left the colonel behind, walking carefully around the bodies. It didn’t take long for him to reach his destination, having been there a dozen times already. He knelt beside a pink body and brushed back a blonde fringe that refused to stay in place. Frosty was as cold as ice, but at least she looked peaceful.

He trembled. Every time he closed his eyes, he saw her smashing into the dragon’s back, her spear splintering like a twig. It had only been a glance, but he could still vividly picture it. He’d hardly noticed at the time, but now that the image replayed over and over again he could see the way her back bent backwards from the impact.

A pegasus did catch her… but it didn’t matter.

“I hope your brother never finds out about this,” Fancy whispered. “I hope he spends all his life never knowing the fate of his sister, a fate that could have been avoided entirely.” He stood on wobbling legs. “I know it’s not my fault, but I’m sorry.”

Frosty said nothing. She never did. Her eyes remained closed, her expression peaceful. Even so, Fancy imagined that she was giving him the tiniest of smiles. It helped… a little.

He stood and turned for the exit. Colonel Mander was still there, watching him with a grim frown. Before the colonel could speak, he asked, “So how long before we’re ready to go?”

“Don’t know,” the colonel admitted, joining him for the door. “Why don’t we go ask our new drill sergeant?”

Fancy chuckled, slowing his pace to one Colonel Mander could keep up with. “Is that an actual title or just what everypony calls her?”

“Just what everypony calls her.” The colonel sighed despite his smile. “I’m betting she’ll retire within a year. That pony’s just not meant to have a desk job.”

“I believe it.” The hallway for the keep exit was cooler than usual, undoubtedly due to the cold air in the center of the tower itself. Fancy braced himself as they approached the door, the handle shining in his magical grasp. As soon as the door was opened, a wave of unpleasant heat poured in on them.

Fancy blinked, his ears perking and aiming forward. He glanced at the colonel, who was already halfway through the door. “By the Goddess, she’s not shouting.”

“Maybe she’s gone hoarse,” Colonel Mander replied.

“Or had heatstroke.” Fancy stepped out and turned his gaze immediately to the castle wall by the gate. A crate had been pushed against the stonework, and on top of it was a large cushion. Lying on that cushion was none other than Oak Feathers, her expression harsh as she watched the soldiers and guards working to clean up some of the damage and load a couple supply wagons. Bandages covered the stubs that were once her hind legs and her wings ruffled with apparent frustration.

Fancy trotted to her ahead of the colonel. “Hey, Captain. You’re looking as sunny as ever.”

“Don’t be cute, First Lieutenant,” she snapped, wiping sweat from her brow. “That’s my husband’s job.” Her head snapped about. “You take one more step towards that well, Private, and I’ll throw you in it!” A pony halfway down the wall jumped and turned back for the boulder he and four others were struggling to move towards a large pile.

She jerked her head again, this time towards the well. It reminded Fancy of a hawk on the hunt. “Did he signal for a refreshment, Mr. Button?” The unicorn at the well promptly released the crank of the well. A couple seconds later the private gave a hoof signal and the crank started turning again.

Oak grumbled and fidgeted, her wings fluffing. “Just when you think you’ve got the lazy foals organized, they try to slip something past you.” She turned her attention back to the patiently waiting Fancy and Colonel Mander. “Well, are you just gonna gawk or what?”

“You’re really on your game,” Fancy noted with a grin.

“If I weren’t on immobility orders from the medics, I’d knock that smirk off your face.” She shuffled about a little and cursed under her breath. “I ain’t taking a break, so don’t you bucking suggest it.”

“Calm down, boss,” Colonel Mander replied with a chuckle. “We just need an estimate for when Fancy and the rest can get on their way.”

Another snap of the head. “Put that crate down, Mr. Keys! I told you, food and water are the first thing ponies will be after, so it goes in last!” She rubbed the side of her head and mumbled something indecipherable. “Shouldn’t be more than an hour or two, if I can get these bumblers to do anything right.”

Fancy shared a knowing glance with the colonel. “I don’t know if you’re going to survive as a logistics officer, Captain.”

Oak pushed herself into as close to a sitting position as she could, her chest puffing up and her wings flaring. “I can do this job better than anypony, I don’t care how boring it is!”

“If you say so.” The colonel grinned, something that took even Oak aback. “If you ask me—”

Dragon!”

All heads whipped up as a trio of Redwings flew over the wall. “Another dragon’s coming!”

“Son of a—positions!” The colonel shot a hoof at Oak. “If you so much as think about flapping those wings, I’ll break them.”

Captain Feathers stamped and growled. “I can still, fly, damn it. Get me a spear!”

“There’s no time,” Fancy snapped. “Everypony needs to go inside! Maybe we can trick it into thinking we’ve abandoned the keep.”

Oak grimaced. “You want us to hide?”

“It’s better than dying,” Colonel Mander admitted. He turned and made for the door. “Everypony, to the keep! All hooves inside now!”

Nopony needed to be told twice; every single soldier and guard dropped what they were doing and fled for safety. Fancy turned to Oak, who managed to launch, albeit clumsily. “Need any help, Captain?”

She glared at the empty sky for a moment. “I can’t fly through the door, you’ll have to help me through.”

“Got it.” He broke into a gallop, Oak following close behind. He stopped at the door and let the captain drop onto his back. Even without hind legs, she was startlingly light.

She sagged over his shoulder and hissed in his ear. “If word of this reaches my husband, I will kill you.”

“Quiet as a mouse,” he replied, hurrying inside. The two waited by the door as more ponies rushed inside. When the stream finally ceased, he began to shut the door.

“Leave it open a crack,” Oak whispered, and he obeyed.

Silence filled the keep. Fancy glanced back to find the hall filled with wide-eyed, shivering soldiers and guards. There was no question; they knew they wouldn’t survive a fight this time. Swallowing the lump in his throat, Fancy stepped back from the door to keep out of sight and watched with bated breath.

The seconds ticked by, the quiet hovering over everypony like the claw of death. It felt like ages before the familiar flapping of massive wings reached his ears, and then there came the sound of something large landing outside the keep. Fancy still couldn’t see it, but from the noise he suspected the dragon had landed within the walls.

A deep, calm voice reached his ears. “Yes, it is Eruk. It seems the defenders succeeded in killing Reddux’s only other ally.”

Oak shifted to Fancy’s other shoulder, trying to peer through the small gap in the door. “Who’s he talking to? Is there another dragon out there?”

“I don’t think so,” Fancy muttered.

“My eyes are a thousand years too old,” the dragon continued. “I did not see any ponies from overhead.” There was a long pause. “I understand your concern, young one, but your companion’s point is well made.”

Fancy glanced back at the ponies behind him, some of whom were passing out spears. Fear and uncertainty lingered in their expressions, but he also saw anger. Hesitantly, he moved closer to the door, but still could see nothing of the dragon.

“Celestia cannot wait,” the dragon said, his voice chastising. “If you are to save her, we should leave. This kill is fresh; perhaps we will come upon survivors on the way to the—”

Fancy ducked back at the dragon’s abrupt pause. Had somepony been spotted?

“I see. Hurry, then; I will wait outside the walls to avoid spreading fear.”

A moment later the dragon’s wings could be heard once more as it lifted off. Fancy thought on the half of a conversation he’d been privy to and felt he had an idea what was coming.

“They’re going to search the keep,” Oak whispered. “Changelings?”

Murmurs spread through the halls, but Fancy raised his hoof to catch everypony’s attention. “Maybe not.” His eyes roamed the mass of faces, but he saw no sign of Colonel Mander. He cursed under his breath; he could have really used the colonel’s advice. Thinking on the risks, he glanced back at the door. It didn’t take long to reach a conclusion, though it made his stomach churn.

“Somepony take the captain, I’m going out.”

“What?” How the captain managed to avoid shouting, Fancy had no idea. “You can’t do that, they’ll kill you.”

“Better me than everypony,” he replied, glad that his voice was more certain than his mind. “We have to avoid another fight with a dragon, and this might be the only way.”

“But why you?” Oak asked as a trio of ponies worked to pull her off his back.

“Because I called it.” He waited until the others had stepped back from the door and gave Oak one last glance before gritting his teeth and stepping outside. He closed the door behind him and turned to the right where he’d thought the voices had been coming from.

Fancy!”

He jumped, startled to see none other than Fleur charging him, an ecstatic look on her face. She all but tackled him, throwing her hooves around his neck as he stumbled backwards. “I thought you were dead!”

“Fleur?” He tried to pry her off, but she just held on more tightly. “What the hay?”

“Well, he survived a dragon attack after all.”

Fancy looked up and gaped upon seeing a familiar stallion approach. What was his name? Fine? “What are you ponies doing here?”

“Fleur insisted we look for survivors,” Fine replied, lips set in a terse frown. “I think we both know who she really wanted to see.”

Fleur finally released her hold, half turning to Fine with a scowl. “Well excuse me if I want to make sure a good stallion didn’t get eaten by a dragon!”

“Well now we know,” Fine snapped with a stomp for emphasis. “Your friend’s alive, you got what you came for. Now if you don’t mind, we have a princess to rescue.”

Fancy’s ears perked. “What about the princess?”

“Long story,” Fine said. “Reddux and changelings in cahoots, Celestia’s disappeared, probably captured and in very serious danger. Let’s go!”

“He’s right.” Fleur hurried to Fine’s side and they started for the gate. “I’m sorry, Fancy, but there’s really no time. I’m glad you’re okay!”

“Wait!” He hurried after them, and to his relief they stopped at the gate. “You’re heading to Estéril Pezuñas to save Celestia?”

Fine let out a low growl. “Yes, we’ve got a dragon to help. Anything else you have to know before we—”

“A dragon, really?”

Yes!” Fine threw up his hooves. “Get to the point!”

Fancy’s mind was running a mile a minute. He noted Fine’s agitation and Fleur’s apparent worry. Part of him was flattered that she cared enough to stop even amidst such an important task. More powerful in his mind, however, was the knowledge that the princess might be in very real danger. If they had a dragon, they’d make it to the city in no time, and if Celestia was in trouble…

He made his decision. “Captain Feathers!” He turned to the gate. “Captain, these ponies need our assistance!”

Fine let out another growl. “Parjin might be a dragon, but he can’t carry a bunch of soldiers!”

“He doesn’t have to,” Fancy countered, “he can just carry the three of us.”

“Look, I’m not—”

Fancy turned on the stallion. “I’m not asking for an entire regiment, for buck’s sake!”

“Fancy, what’s going on over there?”

He turned to find Oak being carried out of the keep. “Captain! Can the Redwings sortie?”

“Of course they can!”

Fancy raised his head high. “Princess Celestia is in danger. I’m going with these two and their dragon ally to protect her. Can I count on your pegasi for assistance?”

Oak flew away from her carriers like a bolt of lightning to hover just above Fancy. “You’ve got it! Redwings, to me!” She thrust a hoof in his face. “And don’t even think about telling me to stay behind.”

He hesitated, pushing down his arguments as he caught the fire in her eyes. “Wouldn’t dream of it.”

Fleur looked between them, then back at Fine. “This is good, right?”

Fine watched as the remaining pegasi of the 42nd assembled around Captain Feathers, his expression softening a little. “It’s certainly better than going in alone. We’ll have to brief them in transit, though; there’s no time to lose.” He turned to the gate. “Parjin, we’ve got guests!”

“Good,” the dragon’s head reared up over the walls, smiling down on them. “What is it you ponies say? ‘The more the merrier?’”

Fancy hesitated at the sight of the apparently ancient creature. For an instant, he wondered if this was the right course of action, but he cast his thoughts of changelings aside. Fleur wouldn’t have been so thrilled to see him if she’d been replaced with a changeling, of this he had no doubt, and why would the dragon pretend when it could have just smashed the keep to smithereens?

Besides, the thought of Celestia in danger was like a hot coal in his mind. He couldn’t risk it. If there was even a chance that the princess – his princess – needed help, he would offer it and to Tartarus with the consequences!

“Let’s go, ponies,” Fine snapped, hurrying to the gate.

“I’m glad you’re coming with us, Fancy,” Fleur said as they broke into a gallop.

“I’m glad you’re not dragon food,” he replied. “Redwings, our princess is in danger! We fly to Estéril Pezuñas!”

The Redwings shouted as one and took to the skies.

“Fancy!”

He paused at the gate and looked back to see Colonel Mander at the door to the keep, his expression grim. “Remember what I told you, pretty colt: mares prefer heroes over martyrs! Don’t you dare die over there!”

Fancy couldn’t resist a small smile. He nodded to the colonel before resuming his run, rounding the corner to find the dragon with one of its claws extended palm-up on the ground, Fleur and Fine already climbing on. Fancy pushed down his hesitation and leapt atop the scaled claw. The dragon promptly reared up, cupping both claws beneath its breast to hold the ponies in a loose grip, then launched.

“Fancy, Parjin,” Fine indicated the dragon. “Parjin, Fancy.”

“A pleasure,” the dragon said.

Fancy, his stomach recovering from the lurching motions, dropped to his barrel. “L-likewise.”

The Redwings flew in a loose formation ahead of Parjin, Captain Feathers dropping back so she was just below them. “Now if you don’t mind, we’d all like to know exactly how Princess Celestia’s in trouble.”

“Right,” Fine answered with a nod. “Fleur, would you?”

“You want me to explain it?”

Another firm nod. Fine’s eyes were aimed forward and glazed, but there was a manner of intense focus on his face. “I’m trying to think of the best way to use our new resources.”

“Oh… um, alright then.” Fleur blushed as all the ponies present shifted attention to her, the pegasi’s ears turning to indicate their focus. “Well, I guess I’ll start with how we met Parjin.”


Reddux knew something was wrong the moment he set eyes on Crater Lake, which no longer appeared to qualify for the name. A nagging worry filled him as he gradually approached, and he couldn’t help scratching at his patch of half-melted scales. Surely it couldn’t be as bad as it looked.

Yet as he hovered over the crater, his anxiety only grew worse. The lake had been drained almost completely, with only a few small ponds to be found at the very bottom. He flew a tight circle before landing at the cave entrance. He stared at the dark opening in silence, waiting for one of the changelings to greet him. None came.

Slowly, he moved on all fours and entered the darkness. His eyes swiftly adjusted. “Tialvis?”

He didn’t get far before he was forced to stop, for water now filled the tunnel. Bodies floated in the gloom, but there were two of the foul creatures sitting by the water’s edge. They jumped to their hooves upon his arrival, blue eyes wide with clear terror.

Reddux lowered his head to them, his own alarm stifling any ill will he might have once felt for the changelings. “What happened?”

The changelings exchanged wary expressions. It took some time, but one of them finally conjured the nerve to speak. “Two ponies came and sabotaged the operation.”

“Two ponies?” Reddux could only gape.

The trembling changeling nodded. “They snuck through to the egg chamber and flooded the entire network. We… we lost everything.” It bowed its head and sagged. “So many good soldiers lost…”

Reddux dropped to his belly, the impact shaking the tunnel and sending dust flying. He stared at the quiet waters, mouth working soundlessly. At last, he managed to speak. “W-what of the eggs? Tialvis?”

The changeling whimpered and looked away, leaving the other to try and speak for him. “Lord R-Reddux, we are sorry but… b-but Tialvis drowned and the eggs…” He winced as the dragon’s eyes lowered to him. “Th-the eggs were still in the chamber. They are l-lost to us.”

With a shuddering sigh, Reddux closed his eyes and envisioned his future army. Gone… all his plans washed away. How could this even be possible? “And the two ponies?”

No answer. He opened his eyes and looked down to find the pathetic things cowering before him. “What happened to them?”

“Th-the ponies… escaped.”

His jaw dropped a second time.

The changeling raised his hooves as if to placate. “We are not responsible! A dragon helped them!”

“A dragon?” Reddux’s blood ran cold. “What dragon? Describe him.”

“Golden,” the first changeling said. “Scarred. He looked ancient.”

Parjin.” Reddux heaved, a flame brewing in his chest. His claws kneaded the bare rock, leaving long scratches in the stone. “That meddling, backwards… ignorant fool of a wyrm.” He trembled, a low growl rising in his throat as the fire grew hotter with each passing second. He abruptly reared his head back and sucked in a deep breath.

The changelings shrieked and bolted, diving for the water despite the bodies that bobbed within. The flames of Reddux’s rage covered the cave; he blew and blew, the flames turning the walls red and steam rising with a barely discernible hiss. The instant he’d run out of breath, Reddux turned for the exit, stomping with all the force he could muster. Out in the sun, he turned and dug his claws into the crater wall, ripping and gouging at the rock until it collapsed over the cave and tumbled the entire wall.

He stepped out of range of the falling rock, heaving and snarling with every breath. His scar burned, reminding him of the accursed princess he loathed so much. His eyes turned to the sun, then to the north.

Ponies. He snorted smoke and spread his wings, launching into the hot air. He would go to the fort and meet Eruk, and together they would smash that hated pony city! And once it was little more than a smoldering pile of bones, their rampage would truly begin.

Reddux would not rest until Canterlot itself lay in ruins.