• Published 23rd Aug 2014
  • 2,080 Views, 277 Comments

Reddux the Tyrant - PaulAsaran



Without warning, the dragons have attacked Equestria. Now three young ponies struggle to find their place in the looming conflict. Can Celestia make peace before her lands are annihilated, or will the feared Reddux crush all who oppose him?

  • ...
5
 277
 2,080

Reddux the Tyrant

Reddux the Tyrant

Chapter XIX
Reddux the Tyrant

“Oh, come on!” Sir Deeds turned to watch as Reddux swooped over the ocean. “You mean there’s two of them?”

Fleur hardly noticed the dragon, for her eyes were set on her uncle. Her mean, perverted, ‘hero’ uncle. Her cheek throbbed, but the world had stopped spinning and her mind had cleared. She climbed to her hooves, unable to repress a small chuckle. The sound caught Sir Deeds’ attention, and she hit him with her best smirk.

“Of course Reddux would come here,” she said. “Fancy killed the black dragon at Guardia del Este. I killed Tialvis at Crater Lake. And you? You snuck up on a poor dragon while she slept, didn’t you?” Reddux made another pass, flames erupting from his throat and bathing the city. “Let’s see you live up to your name, Dragonslayer.”

Sir Deeds hesitated. “How… How do you know that I—”

“Because I listened in on the dragon’s conversation,” Fleur snapped. “That black dragon helping Reddux all this time? You killed his mate. None of this might have happened if you’d—”

“Don’t presume to lecture me, little filly!” Sir Deeds thrust his hoof over the burning city. “Look at it! Look at what fury your actions have wrought! You say you killed one of those dragons? Even with that fanciful claim, I must ask: why do you think Reddux has come?”

“He was going to come regardless.” Though Reddux’s roar shook her legs, Fleur managed to stand tall before her tormentor. “He’s here because he thinks we are worthless as a race. We are beneath him, so much so that he let the changelings have Celestia!”

Sir Deeds eyes widened. “Celestia?”

“We’re stopping the changelings,” Fleur continued, her tone cold. “I suggest you do what your job demands and try to stop him.” She pointed to Reddux’s flying form—

—then realized he was coming straight for them.

Fleur’s pulse quickened, her mouth went dry, her legs buckled. Reddux was approaching the castle at breathtaking speed. She wanted to flee, but her legs remained locked. She silently screamed for her body to respond, but still she remained rooted to the spot. Her eyes darted about for some solution, but all she knew was that the wall would soon be engulfed in dragonfire.

The sound of Reddux’s intake was like the death knell of eternity.

Fleur could only pray.

Gold replaced red. Reddux let out a roar, the flames of his breath spraying uselessly through the air as he reeled from the impact. Fleur gasped as Parjin retreated over the city, her breath finally coming back to her.

Reddux’s bellow shook the stones beneath her hooves. “You decrepit fool! I will end you, Elderwyrm!” The great red monster’s wings caught air and he flew in pursuit.

For a moment, Fleur relaxed, her breath normalizing and a hoof pressed to her chest. Then she looked to her side to find Sir Deeds there. They stared at one another, first with shared relief, then confusion.

Sir Deeds’ face twisted into an ugly grimace and he growled. Fleur jumped back just in time to avoid the hook. Hooves scrambling against the stones, she turned and fled, her pulse back to a hummingbird's pace. “What are you doing?!”

His hooves pounded the stones just behind her. “You won’t get away this time, you little bitch!”

She looked over her shoulder to find him charging her. “Are you insane? What about the dragon?”

He only let out a roar.

Fleur had always feared Sir Deeds. His look, his touch, his smile. He had hurt her before, sometimes badly. Yet as she looked into those unreasoning, furious eyes, she realized for the first time that he might actually kill her. She pushed everything she had into the run, her mind swimming and her ears ringing.

He was faster than her. She knew he was faster. He intended to kill her. She had to get away, had to hide, had to get help, had to—

The thought came in Fine’s voice: she had to stop panicking and think.

She had no offensive spells. She had no defensive spells! Her repertoire was too small, and Sir Deeds was getting horribly close!

No, think. Focus.

Sir Deeds was a soldier. She couldn’t fight him, she’d lose. No damaging spells, no strength, hardly anything resembling combat experience. What would Fine do in this situation?

He’d improvise.

Fleur acted as soon as the idea formed in her mind, turning sideways and letting herself drop. The landing was painful, but with any luck—

—Sir Deeds leapt over her, sliding to a stop a short distance away. “Did you really think I’d fall for something so amateur?”

She had hoped, but Fleur wasn’t finished. The spell was ready by the time he turned back to her, and the invisibility veil rose between them. Sir Deeds jerked back with a sneer. “I’m not falling for that twice.”

The second spell was no less tricky, but Fleur had the advantage of having devised it herself long ago. When she finished it, the distinct sound of her own hoofsteps echoed in her ears, gradually fading.

Sir Deeds’ ears perked and he growled. “You won’t get away that easily!”

Fleur turned and aimed her buck low as he charged for her. She kicked just as he approached the veil, striking his forelegs. She’d been going for his kneecaps, but her timing was off and she only struck his cannons. Fortunately, the action managed to trip him up.

Unfortunately, he fell right on top of her.

Fleur had no time to react; his weight slammed on her back with enough force to make her legs splay out and take her breath away. Something smacked the top of her head with a sickening sound, and her jaw impacted the hard stones. She could feel a warmth trickling between her eyes…

Sir Deeds screamed.

He began to rise, and as he did Fleur’s head was jerked up painfully. Her eyes crossed in an attempt to see the top of her horn, but her vision was obscured. She felt his hooves on her head, and grunted as he pushed her down. Fleur felt a surge of panic at the thought that he had her, but just as soon as it came the weight lifted.

Fleur scrambled away and turned to find her uncle sitting up and nursing his muzzle. Blood ran down his hooves and dripped from his mouth, and she understood immediately; her horn had pierced his lower jaw. She reacted on instinct, charging forward and delivering as strong an uppercut as she could muster. Sir Deeds howled and fell on his back, blood gushing from the open wound.

A voice in Fleur’s head screamed at her to take this opportunity and flee, but she shoved it back with a savage snarl. She leapt on top of him, kicked and punching and screaming. Every blow shook her body, every thrust of her hooves a moment of sweet revenge for every thrust taken from him in her short, miserable life. Her vision turned red as she put all her energy and strength into this delicious act of brutality.

Something erupted beside her, and flames licked at her coat. The noise made her ears ring, but it was the heat that snapped her out of it. She leapt away, body stinging and mind jumbled. She looked up to see red; Reddux smashed into the castle, sending stonework and masonry flying.

“No more delays, ponies! I will rip your castle apart and burn your city, and when I find your princess I will devour her!”

The flames on the wall died, but the city blazed. Fleur stared at the flames, heart pounding as the screams finally caught her ears. She had to—

Something smashed into her shoulder and she flew. The world blurred until she hit the ground shoulder-first, crying out from the impact. In the precious time it took her to clear her head, she found her uncle standing over her. His attempt at speech only brought more blood from his mouth, which dripped onto her side. His eyes, however, told her everything she needed to know about what he intended. He reared back, and Fleur barely managed to roll out from under him before his hooves slammed the stones.

They were by the side of the wall. Below them was an inferno, the flames battling the sun for brilliancy. The smoke began to waft over the wall as Fleur struggled to her hooves, Sir Deeds bearing down on her like a buffalo berserker. Fleur was in a lot of pain, but she could still think.

That was far more than Sir Deeds could manage.

Fleur jumped sideways just as Sir Deeds tried to ram her, clumsily delivering a buck as she did. Her blow didn’t do much, but it was enough to make him stumble sideways, and his shoulder smacked into one of the crenellations. His body shook from the impact and he stumbled back with a groan, but Fleur gave him no time to rest; she leapt up, caught his head and slammed it chin-first against the parapet. He screamed and swung a leg, his elbow catching her in the chest and knocking her on her back.

Crawling backwards, Fleur watched as Sir Deeds stumbled about, blood pouring even more profusely from his jaw. He moaned and kept touching the wound, his eyes wide and tears running down his cheeks. Then his gaze fell upon her and he approached, stumbling and keeping his jaw clenched.

“Keep away from me!”

A shadow passed overhead, Reddux darting by with a bellow, but neither Fleur nor Sir Deeds paid him any attention. Their eyes remained locked, Fleur’s heart pounding and her breath coming in gasps. The old bastard just wouldn’t stop! She could feel the heat at her back; she’d reached the opposite side of the wall. There was no battlement here to protect her from falling. She froze, caught between the fire below and the madpony before her.

His eyes glistened with pain and rage. Blood made an ugly trail as he walked. The orange haze of the flames and smoke gave him a fierce appearance as he braced, ready for the attack.

Sir Deeds opened his mouth wide, blood dripping from his lips and coloring his teeth red. A hideous, gurgling scream erupted from his bloodstained throat. Smoke swirled about his body as he lunged.

Fleur did the only thing she could think of: she pulled her legs in and kicked. It was a sloppy defense, made all the worse by her unprepared position on her back. Even so, her legs managed to connect with his chest. It amounted to little; Sir Deeds kept coming, pressing her hind legs back against her chest as he reached for her throat. Fleur’s body rolled backward from his weight…

…and they both flipped over the wall’s edge.

Fleur’s legs caught the corner.

Sir Deeds caught her tail.

She clutched at the wall, his vastly superior heft dragging her down. Fleur could hear him screaming through clamped teeth. The hideously familiar scent of burning flesh assaulted her nostrils, making her stomach churn. Despite all that her brain told her, Fleur made the worst possible decision: she looked down.

The flames were licking up Sir Deeds flanks; the back half of his body was already burning. His teeth were clamped on her tail in a death-grip, his forehooves wrapped about her hind legs. Tears streamed down his cheeks, but his eyes were set upon hers. They told her only one thing: he had no intention of letting go.

The heat seared, the smoke burned her eyes, her hold on the wall deteriorated rapidly. Fleur screamed and kicked with all her might, but the bastard refused to release her. The familiar agony of being too close to the flames pierced her brain. She couldn’t think, couldn’t speak, couldn’t do anything save scream and wish she could be anywhere else.

Just as her grip failed, something slammed into her back. Fleur felt legs wrapping around her chest and she began to rise from the wall. She looked up to see an orange face. “Captain!”

Captain Feathers’ face contorted in a grimace as she struggled to lift both Fleur and Sir Deeds. “I… can’t… keep this… up...”

Heart pounding, Fleur looked down to find Sir Deeds still holding on. She squirmed and kicked, to no avail. “Let go! Let go of me, you bastard!” He merely screamed through her tail, the flames rising up his charred body. She could feel them licking her hind legs.

Which were higher than the wall.

“Forward!” Fleur looked up at Oak, whose eyes were closed from effort. “Captain, fly forward!”

She did so, Fleur’s hooves just grazing the stonework.

“Down!”

Her hooves landed on firm ground, and the captain promptly collapsed to the ground beside her, gasping and heaving. Fleur had to lock her legs to keep from sliding back from her uncle’s weight. He still wouldn’t let go, but Fleur was more concerned about not being dragged over again. Sucking down slow, long gasps, she took a step. Then another. Then another. Gradually, teeth grinding, she pulled her wretched uncle from over the fiery edge.

At last the weight faded. He fell off of her and shrieked, rolling on the ground. Fleur grabbed Captain Feathers, still recovering, and dragged her away as the stallion slapped at the flames. She could only watch in silent horror, her mind reeling from his screams. Finally the flames ceased, and he collapsed onto his barrel and sobbed.

After a few timid seconds, Fleur approached. Up close, the sight was even worse than she’d imagined, his skin eaten away to show blackened muscle beneath his chest. The smell of burnt flesh tore at her senses, making her sway in place.

His voice rose, feeble and hoarse. “Kill… me…”

Fleur tore her eyes away from the burns to his face. His cheek resting on the stone, he stared at something far off, breathing coming in slow rasps. “It hurts. P-please… it hurts so much.”

Fleur closed her eyes. She thought of all the nights she spent trembling in bed, waiting for him to come. She felt every touch of his hooves, recalled clenching her pillow in her teeth, the slap of his hips against hers. Her cheeks were warmed by tears that dripped from her chin.

“F-Fleur… please.”

“Seven years you tortured me, and now you dare to ask me for mercy?”

She glared down at him. Slowly, his eyes shifted to her. His breathing was little more than a hollow rasping. “P-please.”

Fleur examined his charred body, took in his ragged breathing, observed his begging eyes.

“I owe you no kindness.” She turned away. “I hope you live a long life, Sir Deeds. I’m going to leave you now, and I will never give you so much as a parting thought.”

She looked over her shoulder at him, hoping to channel all the hatred she’d been building over the years.

“I relish the fact that you’ll never stop thinking about me.”


The rumbling stopped, but Fine felt no relief. His companion, however, seemed to be faring far worse than he was. Fancy’s head whipped from Celestia’s unconscious form to the ceiling and back several times, his eyes wide.

“Oh Goddess, Fleur’s still up there! And Oak, too.” Fancy turned for the door, but came to a jerking stop and turned back to Celestia. “But… we can’t leave…”

Fine facehooved. “Would you please calm down?”

Calm down?! The city is under attack by a dragon and you want me to calm down?!”

“We don’t know the city is being attacked by a dragon.” Although Fine had to admit it seemed very likely. “Now is the time for action, not panic.”

Fancy threw up his hooves. “Then what do you think we should do, Mr. Nerves-of-Steel?”

Indeed, what? Fine sat, ignoring the sickening feeling of the black gunk on his rump, and tried to think. He glanced at Celestia, but dismissed the idea of trying to wake her; though she looked okay on the outside, she was probably still lost in her recovery sleep. She would wake up in her own time, and no sooner.

“Our first priority is to get Celestia somewhere safe.”

Fancy considered this, then shook his head. “She’s better off here. We’ve got the Redwings with us, they can keep watch over her until Reddux is gone.”

Fine shook his head. “Reddux has a sore spot for Celestia, and he believes she’s here. He won’t stop until he finds her, even if he has to tear this castle down brick by brick, and there’s no guarantee we can stop him. Besides,” he gestured to the gunk at their hooves, “when there are changelings involved, there’s too high a risk. There’s nothing to stop them from impersonating one of your precious pegasi. No, we’ve got to get Celestia out of here.”

Fancy’s face twisted in a display of indecision. “But… but Fleur and Oak…”

“Oak’s a soldier, she knows the risk. And as for Fleur…” Fine smirked. “She’s far more capable than you know. Celestia, on the other hoof, is helpless.”

“We can’t just leave them!” Fancy stomped for emphasis, but the effect was ruined by the squelch his hoof made and the disgusted grimace it brought to his face.

“I didn’t say we were going to.” Fine turned to Hoofknife, who remained unconscious on the floor. He turned the pony over onto his back and slapped his face a few times. “Come on, ya bastard, snap out of it! I know it’s your dream to sleep at the princess’s side and all, but now is not the time for a honeymoon.”

Hoofknife groaned and waved Fine off. “What the—” He yawned and sat up, a hoof going to his side. He grimaced in pain. “Couldn’t you have handled that with a little more grace?”

Fine studied his face with a peering gaze. “How do you feel? Normal? No deep-rooted urges to feast on my emotions?”

“What the hay are talking about? You make me sound like a—” Hoofknife finally got a look at his surroundings, and his eyes widened. “Oh.”

“Great, he’s awake.” Fancy trotted in place as the vault abruptly resumed shaking. “Can we get the hay out of here now?”

“We can try.” Fine turned to him and pointed at Celestia. “You and my friend are going to carry Celestia out of here, with the RedWings as escorts. Try to take a subtle route Reddux might not notice.”

“Celestia?” Hoofknife climbed to his hooves and limped towards her. “Thank the Goddess, she’s okay!”

Fancy looked to Celestia, then back to Fine. “What about Fleur and Oak?”

Fine tapped the knife at his throat so it swayed. “You let me worry about them.”

“But… but I…”

With a groan, Fine set a hoof to the Fancy’s shoulder. “Listen, I know you’re worried about them, but you’re a soldier of Equestria and Celestia is your first duty. I kept Fleur alive all this time. Please, trust me to do so now.”

Fancy stared at him, then looked to Celestia. Hoofknife sat beside her, watching the exchange with a hard expression. After a few seconds, Fancy set his jaw and nodded. He looked Fine in the eye. “If anything happens to either of them, I’m holding you responsible.”

“Good, ‘cause you should.” Fine turned to his boss. “And you?”

Hoofknife nodded. “I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of what’s going on. Go do your thing. I can take it from here.”

“Good. Try not to get too grabby, I’m sure Celestia wouldn’t approve.” Fine tapped Fancy’s shoulder as he hurried past. “That goes for you too, soldier.”

“Fine!” Fine didn’t bother to stop, and Fancy called after him, “Good luck!”

He ignored the questioning looks of the soldiers, running at full gallop through the dark hallway. He knew what he had to do, yet there was also what he wanted. The second part disturbed him, for what he wanted should have no place in this situation. Yet it remained lodged in his head regardless: Fleur had to survive.

The idea was stupid. He’d known all along that she might not make it. His priority was and had always been the wellbeing of Equestria. One foalish teenager – a teenager who choose to accept the risks of associating with him – should be the least of his concerns. They were expendable in the face of the greater good. He knew this. He believed this.

The words came unbidden in a fierce whisper.

“Damn it.”

He burst out of the hidden vaults and into the dungeon.

“Damn it. Damn it.”

His voice got louder as the world shook violently, an image of Fleur crying in her sleep filling his vision.

“Damn it, damn it, damn it!”

He flew up the stairs, nearly slamming into the wall as he made the turn for the courtyard.

“Celestia damn it!”

He saw Fleur standing before him, casting the invisibility veil for the first time. Something unfamiliar welled within him, something he never imagined would ever grace his mind. Something terrifying.

Pride.

Goddess damn it!”

He slammed through the castle door and fell on his side in the dried grass of the courtyard. He was instantly assaulted by an intense heat, and upon looking up he saw nothing but flames. He jumped to his hooves, swearing and stepped away from the fire. His head whipped about in search of an exit, but his vision was hindered by the intense brightness of the sun.

At last his eyes adjusted. His vision settled on the nearby wall, and the spell came to mind instantly. Smoke roiled over him, and a moment later he was atop the wall. He turned to face the city.

Estéril Pezuñas was an inferno. Screams filled the air, smoke steadily rising like villainous black tendrils eager to blot out the sun. Already, the heat had sweat beading on Fine’s brow and flanks. His eyes swam over the destruction in a slow, hard gaze. There, on the east side of the city, lay a massive golden hill that Fine could only assume was Parjin.

Fine hardened his heart and pushed the screams from his mind. The city might be lost, but he still had a job to do… and, against his better judgment, a filly to protect.

The castle shook as something crashed into the tower behind him. Fine spun about to see Reddux ripping apart the stonework, his massive claws easily shattering the heavy masonry. Pegasi flew circles around him, their spears and crossbows useless. Every now and then Reddux would swipe them away like flies, but otherwise he paid them no mind at all.

“Where is she, little ponies? Where is your princess?” Reddux sucked down a deep breath and blew fire straight into the large hole he’d formed, and the tower erupted in flames. Fine watched in grim silence as fire-engulfed ponies leapt shrieking from the windows.

He had to find Fleur. He looked around the castle, heart hammering against his ribs. Where? Where the buck had she gone? The smoke was rolling over the walls and covering everything. He needed…

He cast the spell again; it came naturally now. He ended up on a balcony of the keep, high enough that he could scan most of the castle. He peered through the smoke, ignoring the bellow of Reddux and the combined cries of dying ponies. The walls were littered with bodies. “Come on, come on…”

He spotted something promising on the eastern wall, three ponies who appeared to be on their own. It was hard to tell through the smoke, but he thought he could make out their colors. With nothing better to go on, he cast his spell once more.

Smoke choked his vision and left him coughing. Fine waved his hoof before his face, knowing it was a pointless endeavor. He held his breath and took stock of his position. He was just able to make out a form, and trotted for it. It was Sir Deeds, over half his body burned beyond recognition. Fine didn’t so much as spar him a second glance; if the bastard survived that, it would be nothing short of a miracle.

There, two shapes in the distance. Fine hurried for them, sucking in air the moment he was out of the smoke. When he saw that familiar filly, he felt a wave of something new run through him. Was that… joy? Over a foal?

Goddess, what had Fleur done to him?

“Fine!” Fleur limped towards him as fast as she could, her dirtied face startlingly bright considering the circumstances.

She wrapped him in a hug, which he returned with uncertain legs. “H-hey, little miss. Good to see you’re okay.” Well, so to speak; her hind legs were red as if they’d been burned, her cheek was swollen and blood covered her face and side. At least he was reasonably sure it wasn’t her blood.

“You too.” She stepped back and grinned, a ghastly image. “I survived, Fine. I stood up to him, and I… I survived!”

Fine didn’t know why he felt so… happy. He didn’t understand, and at the moment he didn’t care. “You did good, Fleur. Really good.”

She stared at him, her smile lost. “Fine… are you okay?”

He blinked and realized he had a grin on his face. He shook his head and coughed. “Y-yeah, I’m alright. There’s no time to—”

A shadow passed over them, Reddux’s roar making his point for him.

Fleur trembled as they watched the dragon land within the city, sending timber and ponies flying. “What do we do?”

Fine looked to her, then back to the city. “Estéril Pezuñas is lost. Everypony needs to get out, if they can.”

Captain Feathers appeared at his side, hovering just above the ground and covering her muzzle against the smoke. “What about Celestia?”

So, she wasn’t incapacitated as he’d first thought. “Fancy Pants and the Redwings are working to get her out of the castle as we speak. She’s safe, Captain.”

She sagged with a deep sigh. “Good. If there’s anypony I trust to watch after Celestia, it’s Fancy.”

Fleur nudged Fine’s shoulder. “How are we supposed to get out?”

“Flying, of course.”

“No way.” Oak shook her head. “There’s no way I can carry both of you out of here at once, you're too heavy together.”

“I don’t expect you to.” Fine grabbed Fleur and pulled her towards the captain. “Take Fleur. I can handle myself.”

What?” Fleur spun about and grabbed his hoof. “You can’t! Fine, I’m not going without you.”

“You have to.” Fine turned to the city, Reddux’s hideous laughter filling their ears. “I’ll distract him while everypony flees.”

Captain Feathers turned to him with piercing eyes. “How the hay do you expect a single pony to distract that?”

Fleur nodded emphatically. “He’ll kill you!”

He jerked his hoof away. “Maybe he will. This is my job, Fleur, and it could kill me at any time. I’ve always known that. It’s a risk I’ve long been willing to accept.”

“Well I’m not willing to accept it!” She hugged him, pressing her cheek to his chest. “Please, Fine, you can’t do this!”

He stared at her, momentarily at a loss for words. His gaze went to Captain Feathers, but she merely watched with a harsh gaze. “I… but…” He groaned and hugged the filly. “This is why I never wanted an apprentice.” He patted her head and managed a smile. “I suppose I have an incentive to not die for once.”

She looked up at him, eyes bright. “So you’ll come?”

He shook his head and looked out over the flames of the city. “No, Fleur, I still have to do this. But I can promise you this: I am not going to die.”

Fleur’s lip trembled, a tear smearing the dirt on her cheek. “Don’t m-make promises you can’t keep.”

“Words to live by.” He pushed her away and looked to the captain. “Go. Take her while you still can.”

Oak nodded and grabbed Fleur before she had a chance to escape. “Good luck, pal. You’re gonna need it.”

“No, Fine!” Fleur reached for him even as she was swept away. “Damn it, I can’t lose you too! Let go of me! Fine!”

Fine watched until they were lost in the smoke, a small smile on his lips. He offered a silent thanks. She would go far, with or without him. Preferably with; for the first time since he was a foal, he had something other than duty to guide his hoof. He said he wouldn’t die, and he had every intention of making that happen.

But he still had a job to do… even if he had no idea how to do it.

He turned to the castle, looking for a suitable place to start. The battlements atop the keep seemed like a good spot, so he focused on the spell. A few clouds of smoke later and he was there, with a pristine view of the horror below. By now the smoke choked out the sunlight, casting the world in a dim haze, but still Reddux was visible below, his claws ripping through the city with foalish abandon.

Fine’s breathing came in small gasps. Was he really going to do this? Fleur was right, that monster would kill him in an instant.

No. He shook his head and stood tall. Reddux needed to be stopped, or at least distracted. Maybe this was foalishness, but he could do it. Every second he kept Reddux focused on him was another second for ponies to escape the carnage. He’d sworn an oath to protect Equestria no matter the cost. He’d live by those words. He would die by them if necessary.

For Fleur’s sake, he prayed it wouldn’t come to that.

Now… how to get the big, maniacal, bloodthirsty dragon to focus all that rage his way? Fine knew of one way. He focused on the spell. It was a very simple one, but he’d never used it at range before. No matter, it would work, he just needed to apply a little extra effort. His horn shined dimly in the haze and he licked his parched lips. This was it. Ignore the buckling of his hooves and just say the words…

“I killed Tialvis.”

It was little more than a whisper. Even so, Reddux’s head snapped towards the castle. “Who said that? Show yourself, little liar!”

Fine obliged, his horn shining brightly. Reddux’s gaze, clear even from this distance, met his. “It’s no lie. I made Crater Lake her tomb.”

The dragon reared up on his hind legs, towering over the blazing city. Smoke roiled off his scales and sparks flickered amongst his fangs. His voice boomed across the skies. “You? You are but a little morsel, ready for tasting.”

Despite how his stomach churned, Fine managed a smirk. “And you are naught but a little hatchling, throwing a temper tantrum because momma Voice said something you didn’t like.”

Reddux bared his fangs, smoke erupting from his nostrils. He approached, taking slow steps that crushed entire buildings. He slunk low, like a predator preparing for the strike. “And who are you to mock me, little morsel? The Dragonslayer, perhaps?”

“Oh, no, he’s dead already.” Or would be soon. “I am a new threat.”

“A threat?” Reddux’s laughter shook the stones beneath Fine’s hooves. “You, a threat?” He continued his approach, ignorant of the destruction left in the wake of his mere passing. “And with what will you threaten me? There is no lake for you to dump upon my skull this time.”

Indeed, with what? Fine faltered, his eyes set on Reddux’s twisted, leering gaze. “I’m sure I’ll think of something.” Or not. Had Celestia been evacuated yet? He had no way to know. Damn him for not thinking that part out a little more!

Reddux reached the outer wall of the castle. His eyes never left Fine as he raised both arms and smashed them into the stone between each word. “I. Am. Reddux!” A final push saw the wall crumble before him, and he stepped through without so much as looking down. “I brought low your puny princess, whose horn I will keep as a toothpick after I’ve rent her charred flesh from her bones. All of Equestria shall burn by my breath.” He reared up, head towering over Fine as he spread his arms and wings wide over the carnage below.

“Behold, and taste the first savory sweetness of my power! What can you, a mere unicorn, do to a god such as me?”

Fine’s mind had been running rampant throughout the monster’s monologue. To his horror, he had absolutely nothing to offer. Now might be the appropriate time to run… except he still didn’t know if Fancy had pulled Celestia out of the castle! And now Fine had gone and lured Reddux right to the castle, which he would certainly destroy the moment Fine disappeared.

Crap, he’d really not thought this through! Here he was, a tiny pony standing alone again—

The fact hit Fine like a sledgehammer: he was alone. No pegasus soldiers circled Reddux, no unicorns were firing spells at him, no Earth ponies were mustering. The city was in chaos, the defenses had shattered. No help was coming.

Suddenly, as he took in this demonic thing standing tall amidst the fire and smoke and heat, Fine felt so very small.

Reddux grinned and raised a lone claw, leisurely moving it forward. “Nothing to say, little morsel? Where has your bravado gone?”

The claw dropped like a hammer. Fine’s instincts kicked in and he dodged, the talons smashing and crushing the stonework where he’d been standing half a second ago. The aural sword came unbidden and slashed, even as Fine told himself it was pointless. The magical weapon shattered against Reddux’s scaled claws, and the dragon only laughed.

A single finger, as thick as Fine was tall, snapped outwards. It hit Fine with all the force of a brick wall. He flew over the edge of the parapet and dropped, too dazed to think of anything save that he was going to die. Funny, he’d always thought the sea would be what ended him.

He landed on hard scales. Fine felt the air rush around him and knew he had been caught by Reddux’s free claw. He groaned, entire body throbbing, and closed his eyes.

“You amuse me, pony.” Reddux’s voice rang in his eardrums. “I think I will let you watch. Your distraction will bother me no more.”

He knew.

Sweet Goddess, he’d figured it out!

Fine’s eyes flicked open, but the world still swam. “Y-you haven’t beaten me yet.”

“Is that so?” Reddux’s face was mere feet away, huge and terrible and grinning. “I suppose I could pull one of your legs off, just to savor your screams. Or perhaps you have some heroic, last minute plan before you become a martyr?”

Fine tried to stand, but Reddux shook his claw. The motion proved more than enough to send Fine to his side, sending a hideous, jarring pain through his chest. He gritted his teeth and looked down, trying to find some kind of purchase—

The knife. The one thing about his past he’d refused to let go of, hanging from his throat like a hideous trophy. It was black, it was innocuous, it was useless against a dragon’s scales. How fittingly ironic that it might be his salvation.

“I do have one weapon.” Fine looked upon Reddux with all the conviction he could muster. “I have a means to kill you, tyrant.”

Reddux’s grin broadened. “Still trying to distract? Very well, but this is your last chance. Amuse me, or I’ll crush your puny little body.”

Fine stood, ignoring the pain running through his body. He felt something shift; it was like a knife had run through his chest. It could only be a broken rib. No matter; broken bones were the least of his concerns. He managed with some effort to stand tall. The knife rose in his red glow, and he displayed it to his foe.

“That?” Reddux’s smile faded. “I thought you would be more original.”

Fine managed a smile even as another stab ran through him. “Oh, trust me, Reddux: you’ve never seen a weapon like this.”

“Big words.” Reddux turned on the spot and raised his claw high, giving Fine a stunning view of the hell below. “Gaze upon your city, Dragonslayer! Know that this is the fate of all Equestria should you fail!”

Fine did indeed look. The city had been reduced to carnage, the flames covering everything in smoke and heat. Screams still rose from the streets, piercing his ears even at this dizzying height. For just a moment, Fine imagined an entire country reduced to ashes. Canterlot, Manehattan, Seaddle…

Los Pegasus. The image of that city set aflame stung him almost as badly as his broken rib.

Reddux lowered his claw so that Fine was close to his glistening fangs. “And now that you understand the stakes, little morsel, why don’t you show me what is so special about that puny weapon?”

Fine glanced at the blade hovering at his throat. It was short, it was black, it was sharp. It had once been the horn of a unicorn, taken by an old mare as a trophy, and taken by him as a reminder of what he was. And as much as he hated it… right now it was the most important thing in his existence.

“I don’t have to tell you, Reddux,” he snarled, horn flaring. “I will have you feel it!”

“Then have me feel it!” Reddux stretched out his arm and puffed out his chest, that smug grin never leaving his lips. “Show me what your almighty weapon can do!”

“With pleasure.”

The glow of Fine’s horn intensified, then disappeared in a flash. Clouds roiled around the knife…

And it was gone.

Reddux cocked his head. “Am I supposed to be impressed?”

Fine leveled the dragon with a cold glare. “No, Reddux: you’re supposed to hurt.”

His horn flashed, and Reddux’s eyes widened. He doubled over, nearly dropping Fine as his free claw clutched at his midsection. “W-what is this?”

Fine’s horn continued to glow. “For every pony you’ve ever hurt.”

Reddux gasped.

“For every lie you ever told.”

He let out a bellow and leaned forward, clutching at his chest. Fine stumbled.

“For daring to threaten the lives of unborn hatchlings!”

Reddux tried to speak, but only managed a hideous rasp. He clutched his throat.

“For a princess I don’t even like.”

The dragon reeled, tried to suck in a deep breath and could only hack.

“For Equestria, you will die!”

Reddux dropped to his knees, and in so doing dropped Fine. It was a short fall, but Fine still felt something snap when he hit the battlements atop the keep. He let out a hiss, the glow of his horn dying, and could only lay there.

Reddux’s shallow gasped reverberated in his eardrums. Slowly, Fine dragged himself towards the edge of the wall and, using his good leg, lifted himself up to the parapet. He gazed down to find Reddux leaning against the keep, clutching at his heaving chest with wide eyes. The dragon looked up and gaped. “Wha—” He coughed up blood. One of his arms tried to reach for Fine, but jerked back to his stomach as he hacked. His voice came out as a rasp. “W-what did you do?”

Fine’s horn glowed. “My job.”

Reddux squirmed, struggling and failing to suck down sharp breaths. His claws grabbed at his stomach, then his chest, rose up to his throat. Massive yellow eyes rolled back in his head as he wheezed and gurgled, blood now pouring out of his mouth.

Then, just like that, he went still, arms dropping to his sides and jaw hanging loose.

Blood spurted from one of his lifeless eyes as something burst out of it. It flew straight for Fine, encased in a red glow. The blade came to a gentle stop, hovering before Fine’s muzzle and coated in blood. He smiled and reached up to rub its dull side.

“H-hey, Sugarcube. Does that count as sixty-six?”

He collapsed, the blade clattering to the stones by his head.

Author's Note:

I spent a long, long, long time thinking about how Fine would do it. When this finally came to me, I couldn't help but think it suited him perfectly.