• Published 12th Aug 2014
  • 1,728 Views, 14 Comments

Pink Diamonds: A RariPie Prompt Tag Collab - Starlight Shadow



A collection of short prompts from the RariPie group. Warning: copious amounts of d'aaawww.

  • ...
12
 14
 1,728

Replay - Starlight Shadow

Rarity was excited.

Not the kind of excited you keep bundled up inside you in a tight round ball like a happy secret, but the infectious kind of excitement that showed in your mannerisms and made everypony else around you happy too. The kind of excited her marefriend perpetually was.

She hummed and smiled and wore the frilly apron Pinkie got her last year for her birthday, even though she didn't wear it most of the time. Love triumphs over many things, that was true, but it was no excuse to make terrible fashion choices. Except for today. For today was Rarity and Pinkie Pie's anniversary.

She had prepared an extra-special, quiet little party for two at her Boutique, lighting several of the strawberry candles Pinkie so loved, dimming the lights, preparing chocolate cupcakes with berry frosting and rainbow sprinkles that Pinkie especially loved - the reason for wearing the aforementioned apron - and she had placed a very special song request. Which should be coming on any minute. Rarity bit her lip, allowing a seed of worry to plant itself in her mind.

No, no. It would be alright. Pinkie made absolutely sure that she could get home at the specific time Rarity wanted her to. Rarity had reminded her of the time just before she headed off to Sugarcane Corner. It would be fine. There was the bell alerting her to someone entering the building, and there was Pinkie bouncing in to give her a hug. She slid the tray of cupcakes in the oven to bake just before Pinkie tackle-hugged her.

"Gooood evening, Miss Equestria and all those yummy cupcakes I smell in the oven!" Pinkie buried her muzzle in Rarity's mane. "Hi."

Rarity giggled. Something about that mare just compelled her to giggle. "Hello, darling." She snuggled a little tighter into Pinkie's embrace before they broke apart.

Pinkie took a deep whiff of the air. "Chocolate, berry frosting. Tastes best when paired with rainbow sprinkles."

"Correct as you always are with these things, but I have a question."

"Fire away."

"How do you know exactly what kind of sprinkles to pair with a specific flavor of cupcake?" Rarity inquired as she glanced at the clock. One more minute until her request came on.
"Simple! I eat lots of 'em." Pinkie maneuvered around Rarity to plunk herself on the kitchen floor and watch the cupcakes bake, as she always did.

Rarity darted to the radio and turned it on, hopping stations until she found their favorite - the one that played Bridleway music.

"Hinny of the Hills, always a classic. And coming up we have Without Love, requested by a pony who wishes to remain anonymous, dedicated to her beloved. It's apparently their third anniversary tonight."

"Aaw."

The slow beats of their favorite song began to start up. Rarity began to sing along. "Once I was a selfish fool, who never understood. Never looked inside myself, but on the outside, I looked good!"

Pinkie jumped up as Rarity began to sing. Her aqua eyes, shining with happiness, spurred Rarity on. "Then we met and you made me, the mare I am today. Pinkie, I'm in love with you, no matter what you weigh!"

"Cause without love," they both sang, "life is like the seasons with no summer. Without love, life is rock 'n' roll without a drummer. Pinkie, I'll be yours forever, cause I never wanna be.." Rarity barely noticed Pinkie replacing Tracy with 'Rare-Bear'.

"Without lo-o-o-o-ove...Pinkie, never set me free."

They continued to dance and sing, all around the kitchen, reveling in the closeness of the other. Rarity knew the neighbors would inevitably hear them, and she really could not find it in her to care. "Darling, I'll be yours forever, cause I never wanna be, without lo-o-o-o-ove..."

The song eventually ended, like all good things, leaving both of them panting with the exertion involved in dancing on one's hind legs. Eventually Pinkie reared up again, wrapping her forelegs around her fillyfriend.

"This is the best anniversary present ever, Rare-Bear. Play it again?"

With a flash of magic, Rarity pushed replay.