• Published 13th Apr 2012
  • 4,771 Views, 260 Comments

The Romantic Misadventures of Spiced Tea - Yokal



You are stranded in Equestria by means unknown. Now as a pony, you try and make a living in a town called Ponyville

  • ...
5
 260
 4,771

Chapter 4 – Anything will do

Chapter 4 – Anything will do [2\3]

You find yourself in a well designed lobby, a spacious yet cozy with a high ceiling. The design suited for day to day affairs with one’s own government.

The smell in the air suggests of old oak. The smell also accounts for the polished wooden desks around, that are probably made of oak. Most pieces of furniture in the building including the floorboards seem to be made from the stuff. The rest were tabletops, some benches far to the side and what appears to be a vending machine in the far corner of the lobby. The vending machine having a picture of some mare on its front, holding some kind of bottle, looks to be a bottle of apple juice.

The rest of the lobby is what you expect from any government building. The walls are painted in a faded eggshell color. Some areas decorated with some old painting or some overhanging plants, to prevent monotony. The halls’ layout optimized for easy access around the building. With its wide hallways and double doors, the building looks to be designed for public functions and the sort. That also explains the big double doors at the back door of the lobby. Maybe it’s a court of law or a multipurpose hall perhaps?

With that you made your way to the booth in the middle of it all. The booth seated between two winding staircases that probably leads to the second floor.

You see an auburn maned earth pony with an eggshell white coat. Wearing a pair of glasses, she is dutifully writing away in a ledger. Seems to be doing some accounting or some sort, best not disturb her. Alas without notifying her of your presence, you cannot continue. But in good conscience she noticed your arrival beforehoof.

“This will only take a moment…”

“…” you stare at her. Truly she is writing in a ledger. She finishes a line and places her feathered pen near an ink pot. She takes a moment to remove her glasses and then looks at you. She stares at you for just a brief moment before a small smile forms on her face.

“Welcome to Ponyville hall. I am Desk Penny. How may I be of assistance?” she says with practiced precision.

“Umm yes…I believe the mayor is expecting a unicorn named Spiced Tea from Canterlot. Could you notify her that I have arrived?”

"..."

‘Something’s not right’

“…mm-hmm.” She replies as she just stares at you with half-lidded, bright green eyes. She then realizes that she just took a good long minute staring at you. She then takes out an appointment long, tracing her hoof slowly, looking for your name. She finds your name, encircled with red ink and a note that you briefly caught: PRIORITY.

Now your heads starts ring with warning signals. I think this is what many call the ‘Sense of Self preservation’. And of this moment, you are currently in front of this mare who is looking funnily at you.

‘Oh shi-‘

“Wait here…for a moment. She will be with you shortly” she says curtly still with those eyes and a blush growing on her face.

‘WHAT IS WITH ME AND MARES?’ Thinking that Celestia might have done something, you pray. Hard.

“Don’t wait long…cutie” she finishes with a wink.

'facehoof...OW" the facehoof attempt seems harder than it looked like. Especially when you're used to slap your face with a hand in full force, to emphasize irony of course. With a hoof, the emphasis makes for a painful face.

She turns back and up a flight of stairs leading to the second floor offices. It is her duty to report of an appointment arrival. But that does not mean she won’t have a little fun. So in preparing to leave for the second floor, Desk Penny slowly stood from her desk and turned around in a manner similar to unwrapping candy. Then with another wink she turns to the stairs and begins to trot. Her rump swinging sideways as she went giving you the impression:

‘Hey! Look at my rump. Don’t you just want it?’

With her out of sight, you take a moment to let your heart settle. You go about the lobby as you locate some mind bleach. Going from one end of the room to the other, you make it a point to investigate around more, clearly to distract your thoughts.

So you first approach the double doors at the back of the room, right under the dual staircase leading to the second floor. You push the doors and inside reveals a grand looking ballroom. Complete with polished floors, ceiling high windows, and the ceiling even looks to reach the third floor. A couple of banners that show the sun and the moon hang from the rafters. It appears there was a recent festivity here. But decided there was nothing more to investigate. You head on out and close the doors behind you.

Feeling parched, you head to the vending machine you saw earlier. So taking a few steps from the ballroom doors, you started thinking what to purchase.

‘Anything will do…’ you thought as you approached.

Now that you’re closer to the machine, it is actually a twin vendor. One half has a picture of a pegasi mare in a swimsuit holding apple juice. And the other half has a unicorn mare in a librarian outfit, drinking tea. It is now obvious that you have a choice of something hot or something cold. Since you traveled far and in the rain no less you decided on your namesake, a nice hot cup of spiced milk tea. Black tea with two part brown sugar steeped with mint, clover, cinnamon, and cardamom. What a nice hot cup of good stuff. The machine started up, dispensing a disposable paper cup designed to be held by hoof.

*huff*

‘Huh?’

You wandered about technology existing here in Equestria. You thought of this world to be barren of technology. And seeing is you met with Princess Celestia and Luna. The palace seemed devoid of any gadget whatsoever. But seeing this vending machine here, you remembered an interesting point given by Princess Celestia.

*huff*

‘Seriously, what is that sound?’
‘Most machinations and tools here source themselves with magic. Most are imbued with specific properties. So don’t get discouraged or scared if you can’t seem to work one of our machines. You will get the hand of them, in due time. So you could imagine all the fun toys I hav-‘ at that moment Celestia received a left hook from Luna.

*huff*

As you wait for the dispensed cup to fill. You suddenly feel a chill as a hoof ran up your back then slinging itself around your neck.

“Been waiting long?” you hear a voice, a low and sensual voice. And no doubt that it is attached to that arm.

“Uhm…” slowly, you turn your head to face the owner of the voice.

“The mayor will see you now…” Desk Penny said with a huff, looking you straight in the eye. Biting her lip she let go of you.

“Uhm…Desk Penny…I think I would not let the Mayor wait. Could we stop this for the time being?” You say with a squeak at the end. With certain fear you back up a bit and take your cup of tea. That fear being the mare in front of you might ravage you, if she has a chance. And she does.

“She said to take your time. She is currently finishing up some papers and that she wouldn’t want to meet people with a messy desk…And that gives us plenty of time…” her eyebrows a wiggling.

*ding* that was the sound of the vending machine.

“That is sweet of you, making a mare a cup of tea.” Uh-oh.

So in a quick twist of fate the machine started to make another cup of spiced milk tea. You take notice of this. So you offer the cup to Desk Penny thinking it might buy you some time.

“uhh…Here you go”

She just smiles in response, taking the cup from your hooves. She takes a sip before commenting.

“hmmm….This hits the spot. Don’t you know that nopony showed up today….”

‘I don’t like where this is going’

“…many of the folk had stayed in today and most shops are closed…”

‘Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear…’

“…so it is mighty boring till you showed up…”

‘Please oh please don’t tell me!’

“…I just wanted to say…”

“…thank you…”

*ding*

‘Fff-what…?’ another cup of tea is ready.

“…f-for the company I mean” She finishes with a blush and a sip from her tea.

‘…’ speechless, you are now speechless. Quickly! Say something before giving yourself yellow card number three.

“You’re welcome Desk Penny.”

“Just call me Penny” she looks up to you then smiles, a very cute one at that too.

“I recently arrived from Canterlot and I was tasked to see the Mayor.” you say rubbing a hoof to your head, embarrassed that you jumped a conclusion. Now give yourself a yellow card for sloppy topic change. Tsk Tsk Tsk.

"..."

She fumbles with her cup a bit, still staring at you. Realizing that you have caused her an awkward silence, you needed to remedy that.

“So I did not realize things could get boring here.”

“Actually it never does get boring.”

“huh?” With that you are now confident that you averted the crisis.

‘But she still has those bedroom eyes. So be on your guard.’

“The ponies here take days just like this as rest days. Ponyville is actually exciting. Once you get to know the town that is. Usually the town is as quiet as it can be. But ever since a few seasons past, we hosted the Summer Sun Celebration.” she ends her sentence as she drains the cup to the last drop. "A wonderful unicorn came and everything changed for the better. The town getting recognized as a tourist destination, being the agricultural center of the region and being the first town that settled right next to the Everfree. The recognition goes on and on afters that." still holding her cup, she tries to slosh whatever residue is left. Desk Penny clearly trying to arrange her thoughts.

"That sounds like a wonderful thing to happen"

"It is. The town used to be ignored or is just a stopover for some travelers. But now every time you walk on those streets, you'll know that something might happen today. Like food poisoning or a visit from the Diearchy. Who knows..."

Desk Penny then trashes her cup and looks straight to you. This time, she managed to close the distance between you. She is now a breaths distance from you. Her breathing becoming heated, fast and shallow. The smell from her emanates the scent of vanilla and oranges. You started to blush heavily. She then stretches her right arm. And thinking that she might do something, your face goes into overdrive code red.

Desk Penny then smirks at you. She retracts her arm and hands over your cup.

“Oh…” still fuming, that is all you can say.

“As you’ve said, you better not keep the mayor waiting.” Desk Penny says with a wink and starts to walk away from you, her hips still swaying. Most likely she is heading back to her front desk.

“Oh and why don’t you bring her a cup of that delicious tea? I swear that she has not tried that one before”


Now that the awkward moment you had with Desk Penny is now over. You now climbed up the stairs to meet with the mayor. Two cups balancing on your back.

‘How I can climb the stairs and balance these cups, I will never know’ and it should stay that way.

So you make it a few flights before noticing ornately decorated door with a plaque. It says ‘Mayor Mare’ so it must be the right room. Confident you walk up to the door. But not before giving yourself a double check before knocking. Papers on hoof, tea on back, and such luck that fits a romantic comedy, yup you’re all set.

*Knock knock*

“Come in...” a somewhat melodic way of saying it but what the hay.

You enter with a semblance of confidence. Well barely due to the previous awkward encounter with the secretary. And seeing that no one is lucky thrice, you pray that this meeting with the mayor would not end up like any other. Having the mare you’re taking to go head over hooves on you. Barely three days old, here already the ladies man.

As you enter, a grey maned tan coated earth pony is sitting by the desk. Looking to have done her paperwork, she placed neatly aside her desk. She stood up to greet you, a caring smile on her face. So at first glance, this meeting won’t be so bad after all.

“Good afternoon and welcome to Ponyville. I’m Mayor Mare and I, well am the mayor.” Now with a toothy grin. It is rather disarming.

“Hello, I am Spiced Tea. I believe that her majesties have notified of my arrival?"

“Yes, her majesties informed of your arrival.”