• Published 24th Jul 2014
  • 581 Views, 36 Comments

Lost Fate - Fluxxdog



A scroll is stolen from the Canterlot Archives. They have no idea how many lives this changed.

  • ...
 36
 581

Chapter 4: Wild Growth

Chapter 4: Wild Growth

“We don’t hire here. Sorry.”

Ivy looked dejected and defeated. She had spent the last of her bits, save for two, on the train ticket here. She had heard how Ponyville was growing, and since she was laid off from Cherry Hill Orchard, she had to try here. Sweet Apple Acres was the only farm she knew of. And now, well, maybe she could find some way back.

“You’re hired.”

Both the green and orange ponies turn to a large red one. “Big Mac, we’ve never hired on help unless it was bad, and we haven’t even started planting yet!”

Big Mac walked up on Applejack as if he wasn’t going to let her have her way. “The fields are gettin’ too large. We can’t handle it all by ourselves. Remember when you tried to do everything when I was hurt? Nearly worked yourself sick! What do you think would have happened to this farm if both of us were out of commission? Granny Smith can’t work the fields, she’s too old. Applebloom is too young. We’ve got to hire some farmhooves or we could lose everythin’. Not to mention your other duties.”

Applejack couldn’t believe what was coming out of his mouth. And she knew what it was: the truth. But there were still questions to be answered. “And how are we gonna pay for it? Most of the money we bring in goes right back into the farm. Unless you got some get-rich-quick scheme.”

“I asked Filthy Rich to look things over.”

“You WHAT?! No no, this is our family’s pride and joy! We are not sellin’ shares or anythin’ to anypony! You take his money back or I’ll…” Big Mac just looked down at her from above. She was a might bit nervous right now.

He was upset. Big Mac didn’t get mad unless he had good reason. “I didn’t ask to borrow any money or investment. I called in a favor. He had his accountants look over our numbers, see where we could afford the help. He took a look over things himself and said he was sure we could at least hire 2 or 3 farmhooves. He’s supposed to have the information shipped in from Fillydelphia today. We’ll have to go over it after the plantin’ and everythin’, but we can afford it.”

“And just when were you planning to let me know?”

“After the plantin’. I wanted to keep an eye out and scout some talent. But if we have someone comin’ to us, lookin’ for work, we can give them the consideration.” At this, he looked towards the green paint pony. “Sorry my sister decided to let out in front of you, we usually keep things private like.”

Applejack looked a might bit embarrassed. She did decide to just have it all out right then and there. “Uh, sorry you had to see that. I’m not this ornery. I’ve had a lot on my plate gettin’ ready for Winter Wrap-Up tomorrow. No, that’s no excuse. Although I wish I had known a little sooner so I could make an informed decision!” She looked at her brother a bit vexingly.

“Last time I tried to bring somethin’ like this up, you wanted more information before you’d even consider it.”

“Fine, let’s discuss salary then.” Applejack looked right at Ivy. “Just what are you lookin’ for?”

The long earth-brown hair that wrapped around Ivy’s legs practically hugged her, giving her a bit of confidence. “I’d only ask for what Miss Cherry Jubilee paid before I got laid off: three square meals, a place to sleep, and a few bits a week.”

“Wait, you worked for Jubilee? Cherry Hill Orchard? Why’d you get laid off?”

“She had to let a few people go. The crop didn’t produce as much last year. She didn’t want to, but it was either let a few go or the orchard would go under. She made it fair. All the farmhooves had their name in a hat and she pulled five out of the twenty of us. My name was the fourth one drawn.”

“Wow. Sorry to hear that. I know Miss Jubilee, right fine lady. Gave me a chance when I was lookin’ for some extra work.”

“I know. She’s mentioned you before. I had heard how Ponyville was growing and it didn’t take a genius to realize your fields would have to be bigger, so you’d likely need more help. Of course, I didn’t know your hiring policy then.”

Big Mac just smiled. “Eeyup. Just changed it recently. Lucky for you.”

“Very lucky. I spent almost the rest of my bits to get here.” She’d had many more some time ago, but that was gone almost as fast as she got it.


Ivy walked in to the alley. It was behind the third trashcan on the left. She dropped the paper as she was told and the large pouch materialized. She tucked it in her saddlebag and ran for home.

Ivy’s home then was the Forget-Me-Not Boutique. The shop had been in the family for generations, ever since Fleur de Soleil opened it. Her mother and father ran it now, and they thought she would take it over someday. Her heart was never there. She wanted farm work. Pretty flowers were one thing, but feeding hundreds of hungry ponies just seemed more fulfilling.

It didn’t help when she discovered her special talent. She could encourage plants to truly blossom. It was whispering to anyone else, but she always felt it as a cross between a lullaby and a grand symphony. It felt pure, but her parents saw it as a sign she was going to take over.

Then her youngest of three sisters, Lily, was born. Lily was a unicorn, like her mother. She had some trouble with her magic and it made her ill. It was determined that she could actually be pretty powerful, but she’d need proper instruction, lest she rage and hurt somepony, including herself. While the shop was doing well enough for the family, it wasn’t doing any near good enough for even a tutor.

That’s when he walked into her life. He made her an offer, one that could send Lily to the school she needed. She hated him off the bat, as if he was trying to take advantage of her and her family, but he never indicated that he was even aware. If she did this, Lily could get the classes she needed, but would remove Ivy from her family.

She told herself she was doing it as a reason to escape. She wasn’t kidding herself, though. Lily needed that money.

The first thing she looked for after that was farm work.


Big Mac and Filthy Rich were talking business. Apparently, the courier was able to make the trip in half the time, so they could discuss the finances now. Apparently, they could hire five farmhooves without threatening finances. Room and board, thirty bits a week would be fair. Without the room and board, eighty a week would be reasonable

Meanwhile, Applejack, who had taken a shine to Ivy after talking with her, showed her to an old farmhouse. “You’ll have to stay in one of our guest rooms tonight, but this here’ll be where we’ll bunk y’all, once we have y’all to bunk.”

It wasn’t in bad shape. Applejack had considered knocking it down, something she was sure Rainbow Dash would enjoy helping with. Now however… Well, she didn’t like being helped, but Big Mac was right. Last time she tried to do everything by herself, she hurt quite a few people. Even made one of her best friends really sick.

“Since y’all’s our first hire, I’m puttin’ you in charge. It’ll be your responsibility to make sure everypony’s up and out to work on time. It’ll also be your responsibility to make sure y’all’re sleepin’ right. If the house needs any fixin’ up, let us know.”

Ivy hung her head. “Thank you for the trust. I just… I feel bad about the trouble I caused.”

“Shucks, sugarcube, t’weren’t your fault. Just a lack of communication. Besides, now that I’ve had a moment to take it all in, I think you’ll be mighty handy ‘round here.”

Ivy smiled back at her. “Thank you. I won’t let you down.”

“Now, I gotta ask, aren’t you worried about your mane getting in the way?”

Ivy’s brown hair seemed like the roots to her mottled, patchwork green fur and snaked down to her forelegs, wrapping around them. Her hair had always grown like that, hugging close to her but never making her trip. “It’s natural. In fact, if it weren’t there, I’d probably never walk right. It won’t be a problem.”

“Alright, if you say so. Just watch out for my friend Rarity, she’ll probably want to dress it up.”

Ivy’s eyes narrowed. “Nopony touches my mane. No trimming, cutting, snipping, styling, curling, or otherwise. It’s natural or nothing.”

Applejack nodded approvingly. “Sugarcube, you and I are gonna get along just fine.”