• Published 24th Jul 2014
  • 580 Views, 36 Comments

Lost Fate - Fluxxdog



A scroll is stolen from the Canterlot Archives. They have no idea how many lives this changed.

  • ...
 36
 580

Chapter 22: Malus Domestica

Chapter 22: Malus Domestica

Ivy woke up to her own alarm. The sun had yet to rise, but it was her job to make sure everyone got up. She stuck her nose out the door and simply, sweetly, said, “GET UP YA LAZY BUMS!”

After the last couple days, she just wanted to lose herself in the farming. Her job as supervisor for the farmhooves had been different, but she took to her job well. Especially since she heard the others get up.

Today was a Friday. That meant Sledge was off work today, so it was his turn for breakfast. She did enjoy how he kept things simple. Cut fruit, juice, and you were on your way.

“Sunflower! You’re working the south fields this afternoon, don’t forget your hat!” Sunflower needed his straw hat or he could overheat easily.

“Morning, Ivy! Be down in a minute.” Ivy smiled at Lilly Belle. The pegasus on the farm helped with arranging clouds that the weather team would bring in, allowing more efficient watering. She was up, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Her tail was naturally like that. Iron Shoe liked to joke she got into a fight with a storm cloud and lost. Speaking of which….

“IRON SHOE! Get your flank out of bed or no breakfast for you! You know the rules!” Iron Shoe was the slow one. He was never late, but he was never early either.

In the months they had been working, they had a rather well-rehearsed routine. Wake up, breakfast, work, lunch, more work, dinner, plenty of time before sunset for what they want. There was some more work to do, but they were things Applejack insisted on doing herself. Only thing they really had to be careful of was the Cutie Mark Crusaders suddenly ripping through. They had no idea where their clubhouse was, but no matter which field they would work in, they’d hear that buzzing of Scootaloo’s wings.

“Morning Ivy. Pineapples and grapes on the table.” Sledge had everything set up for everyone’s breakfast.

“Pineapple? Where’d you get this?”

“Pinkie got a delivery for a party, but she had more than she needed. So I got a couple from her. Thought they’d make a good breakfast.” He brought over a pitched. She could smell the spices in the apple juice. She wanted to ask what the recipe was, but then HE wouldn’t be the one making it. She shook her head. No, Ivy, you are his boss.

“Ooh, do I smell pineapple?” Sunflower stepped up to the table and started chowing down. “Mmm. Would you believe I had a dream about pineapples? Weird, right?”

“Is there any food you don’t dream about Sunflower?” Lily Belle joined them. She helped herself, though she wasn’t being as much of a hog like Sunflower. “So, any plans later today, Sledge?”

“Actually, this afternoon, I’m going down to Sugarcube Corner, getting some stuff for this weekend. I wanted to ask if you’d help me, Ivy.” Ivy didn’t notice the sly smile on Lily Belle’s face.

“Really? Okay. I’ll meet you there after dinner. Thanks for breakfast.” With a last chug of her juice, she headed to the door. “Alright, the Apples should be about ready. You guys have your morning assignments, I’ll send Lilly Belle if you have anything else to do.” And she headed out.

Iron Shoes finally came down, took a seat, and started eating. “Morning, all.” He saw Lily’s smirk and Sledge’s smile. “I take it Operation Pink Surprise is a go?”


Ivy was nearly to Sugarcube Corner. She figured whatever Sledge was getting, it was large enough he couldn’t carry it himself, but too small to warrant a cart. She went in the shop… but it was odd. The lights were off. The only light in the shop came from a couple candles on a table.

A table with Sledge.

Ivy’s heart skipped a beat.

“Um… Sledge? What’s going on?”

“I’m here for a date with a special somepony.”

Ivy was a bit sad. She knew he was hanging around Pinkie a lot, but she didn’t think he had gone that far. “Oh, well then, I should get going, shouldn’t I?”

Behind her, a voice that could only be described as pink, said, “Now why would you do that? This is your party. A party of just two.” Before she knew it, Pinkie Pie had her in a chair, sitting down, with a cupcake in front of her.

“Pinkie? Sledge? What’s going on?”

Sledge smiled. “I’ve been working on this for a while. I wanted to ask you to be my special somepony.”

Ivy’s heart skipped again. “Sledge, I’m your boss, I don’t think Applejack would-”

“You leave Applejack to your Aunt Pinkie.” Pinkie said in the most serious voice she could. “I’m sure she knows you’re not going to do anything silly. Besides, everyone has been planning this for a couple weeks.”

Ivy was still hesitant. Sledge just said, “If you don’t want this, I’ll understand. But I had to take a chance. All or nothing.”

Ivy turned to Pinkie. “Can we have a moment?” She finally noticed Pinkie’s waiter outfit, complete with long, thin mustache. And how was she carrying that tray standing on her rear hooves? One thing she learned quickly was it’s “Pinkie being Pinkie”. And just like Pinkie, Pinkie was gone quick as a Bunniraffe.

That left Ivy with only one option. She leapt over the table at Sledge.


Rarity watched Pinkie sneak out of Sugarcube Corner. Lookout was next to her.

“So, darling, how’s their date going?” Rarity wanted first dibs on gossip since she helped Pinkie with the romantic decorations. Rarity had a hard time convincing her less was more for this.

Lookout just blushed. “I feel like I’m being taken advantage of here. It’s going really well. Really really well.” A sly grin crossed her face. “If they weren’t Earth ponies, I’d swear someone was petting someone’s wings.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about! I didn’t touch anypony’s wings!” Rarity quickly turned into a blushing ball of scandal.

“I knew it! I saw that look on Slipwind’s face and I knew something was going on. I didn’t think you were that kind of pony.”

Rarity did the only thing she could think of. She owned it. “Yes, it was a morning with a little petting. I had a dream involving fluffy feathers and my hoof happened to stray while I was asleep. I had no idea it had that effect on pegasi. We had our breakfast and went our separate ways.”

“Breakfast. Right. I heard differently.”

Now Rarity was mad! “What did he tell you!? The second time was just an idle curiosity! We promised not to speak of it again! When I get my hooves on him I’ll…. I’LL..!”

“Calm down. I just took a shot in the dark and you fell for it. So, second time? You really didn’t know, did you? Doesn’t help that he’s been smitten with you.” That last bit was just to egg her a bit.

“Yes, I know.”

“Wait, you know?” Lookout was at a loss for words.

“Since that first day we met, he’s has been courteous and an absolute gentlecolt. In all our discussions, he’s been an absolutely wonderful stallion. I must admit to a passing fancy… I’m just waiting for him to make the first move. A lady must be patient.”

“Uh, Rarity, you crossed the line.”

Rarity snapped out of her thought. “Wait what?”

“Yeah, touching wings like that? That’s kind of a deal breaker. You might as well have told him he was your special somepony.”

“What?”

“I mean, the first time, yeah, it could been brushed off as an accident. The second time? Let’s just say he’s flying around like Derpy.”

“What?” Lookout looked at Rarity. Looked like she was broken.

Lookout was trying to keep from laughing like crazy. “Come on, Rarity. You promised me dinner for spying for you. You got your gossip, Sledge and Ivy are an item. Now, over dinner, I’ll tell you what you’ll be doing as Slipwind’s pursuer.”

Rarity just walked next to her in a daze, mouth wide open.

“Rarity, close your mouth before I stick an apple in it.”