• Published 24th Jul 2014
  • 581 Views, 36 Comments

Lost Fate - Fluxxdog



A scroll is stolen from the Canterlot Archives. They have no idea how many lives this changed.

  • ...
 36
 581

Chapter 23: Remember the Never

Chapter 23: Remember the Never

Twilight sent a letter ahead requesting a private audience with Celestia. This wasn’t unusual itself, but it was unusual that she wouldn’t be attending herself. Cantrip, Rarity, Slipwind, and Discord would be meeting with her.

Discord took a week to get the strength up for the meeting. As he saw it, all those lives were snuffed out for someone’s gain. But he agreed to hear Celestia out before making any rash decision. At the very least, he said, the guilty deserved to explain their side. He Pinkie Promised to do nothing to Celestia, and somehow he feared breaking it. Him, the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony worried about a fluffy pinky pony who… could pop out of anywhere. Even he couldn’t understand how she did it.

Cantrip was reviewing all his notes. Again. For what must have been the fiftieth time. He felt he missed something somewhere, but he was driving himself mad. Or maybe he was mad and not just realizing it yet. That would be fun. He was rather tired of being sane. Perhaps he should just go mad for a bit and tuck away his sanity for when he really needed it. Yes, that would explain how Discord was able to act rational through this. He saved his sanity for when he needed it. And in the meantime, he caused trouble. Time to try this new approach. “So, Rarity, Slipwind, how long have you two been dating?”

Both of their eyes nearly popped out of their head. Rarity, of course, was the first to remark, “Who told you such a thing? Why would I stoop so low-”

“Oh come on, Rarity. Every pegasus in Ponyville knows. I’m not big on gossip, but when they notice things like that, it tends to get around.”

“That Lookout! I asked her to keep things quiet!”

Slipwind facehooved. “He just baited you and you took it.” Rarity look appalled.

Discord was interested. Rarity’s mind was frantic. Nothing to do now but egg her on. “How scandalous! Do tell, what attracted you to him? Was it the time we spent in the Gap? Let me guess, it’s his build, rather strong for a pegasus. He has a very healthy work ethic, not that I care for such things. Maybe it’s his wings-”

“Discord! Please!” Rarity was extremely bashful at the mention of wings.

Discord was ready to leap on that, but Cantrip stopped him. “It doesn’t matter. As for how the pegasi found out, Slipwind has been extremely distracted. Only time he seems focused is after he sees you. I’m not an expert on pegasus courtship, but I’ve learned enough to know there’s a bond. Listening to some of the idle gossip among the weather team, it just confirmed it.”

Discord just jumped in, “Ah, but then there’s the secrecy. Little Rarity is embarrassed about it. Keeping things hidden behind closed doors. No actual proof save what happens when eyes don’t look.”

“I am NOT embarrassed!” Her remark got a few heads on the train looking their way before they went back to whatever they were doing before. “We’re keeping things in private to see if we want to pursue this openly. If things don’t work out, nopony has to be the wiser.”

Slipwind shook his head. “Only problem is, everypony already knows. I guess I can’t hide my feelings very well, and enough of the weather team have seen us together to draw the logical conclusion. Like it or not, Ivy and Sledge are not the newest couple.”

Cantrip was surprised. “Ivy and Sledge? Huh, didn’t hear about that.”

“Apparently Sledge blindsided her with a romantic little dinner at Sugarcube Corner. All the farmhooves chipped in to set it up.”

Rarity smiled for her role in it. “Yes, it was quite the setup, if I do say so myself. Sledge told Pinkie it was like a party for just two, and, Pinkie being Pinkie, she had so many decorations planned. Sledge begged her not to go over the top, so she sought out my assistance. She’s not exactly the romantic type.” Rarity was in the zone, enjoying her work. “I managed to convince her, after several days, that some soft lighting, subtle flowers, and privacy would allow them the opportunity to admit to each other their true feelings, for good or ill.” Pride just beamed from Rarity’s grin.

“Well, when this is said and done, remind me to consult you for my first date with Ink Nose.” Everyone just looked at Cantrip. “What? There’s a connection there, but I’m not going to even try anything until this is all said and done.”

Discord loved this idea. “I can see it now. ‘Oh Ink Nose! I need a book! Where are you? Oh drat, I can never get any work done when she off smooching with her special somepony.’” His act of Twilight came complete with mock wings and horn. Rarity and Slipwind couldn’t help but chuckle.

“It’s not funny.” The gravity in Cantrip’s voice stopped their laughter quickly. “When this is all said and done, I have to answer for punishment. There’s no telling what will happen. I don’t want to start something with Ink Nose only to end up leaving her.”

Discord laid a paw on his shoulder. “Listen, if anyone gets to pass judgment on you, it’s me. The crime committed here falls under my jurisdiction. That page never belonged to Celestia to begin with, so I get to decide your punishment. I think the worst I’ll do to you is turn your tail into a bunch of bananas.”

The idea just had them all laughing and lightened the mood considerably all the way to Canterlot.


“I still don’t understand why I had to be awake for this, sister.” Luna stifled a light yawn.

Celestia looked at her admiringly. “You’re cute when you’re tired. But this has something to do with both of us. Twilight said you would need to hear this meeting as well. I can only imagine she believes your counsel will be valuable.”

“A meeting with Discord? I’d rather try understanding Pinkie Pie. I am much more likely to enjoy cupcakes.”

“Perhaps, but this isn’t the usual meeting. He has promised that it will be strictly business.”

“Well, unless it was a Pinkie Promise, I doubt he’ll hold to it.”

”Actually, it was. A bit unusual for him, but at least I don’t have to worry about sitting in gum.” Celestia looked at her tail. It still felt sticky.

Luna just chuckled. “I suppose I can tolerate his antics if he focuses on you.”

A guard walked in to the meeting room. “Your highnesses, Discord and his party are here.”

Celestia nodded at him. “Thank you. Please show them in and tell the kitchen staff to bring dinner in for six.” The guard bowed and walked out. He had the feeling that it was a good thing his shift was almost over.