• Published 1st Nov 2011
  • 24,890 Views, 593 Comments

Lost Time - McSqueakers



Twilight and Rarity are sent 15 years into the future.

  • ...
32
 593
 24,890

[Chapter 6] Plight

[Chapter 6] Plight

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pinkamena moved slowly around the table, serving the two dolls cake and drinks before taking her seat. The setup was bizarre; the room and festivities were set up as the Pinkie Pie that Rarity remembered would have set it up, but everything was dull and lifeless. Even the host didn’t appear to be enjoying her time. What really irked Rarity, however, was the way that Pinkamena behaved when talking to those dolls. She would speak normally for a minute, but occasionally, her body would give a violent twitch and she would begin to speak in a weird series of grunts and mumbles while moving the dolls to match the inflections of her voice. Rarity could only assume that this was when Pinkamena was imagining that the dolls were conversing with her.

“I’m glad you two could join me this afternoon, girls,” Pinkamena cheered in a monotone voice. “I really like what you’ve done with your mane Rarity. You really didn’t have to go all out like that just for me.”

“Oh, nonsense, Pinkie!” the Rarity doll said in Pinkamena’s mind. “You know very well that my friends are worth looking my best for."

“Oh well thank you!” She said before pausing for a moment. An inquisitive look came over her face as she examined the doll. “You know what? You’re mane reminds me of purple licorice! I wonder if it even tastes like purple licorice. What does purple licorice even taste like? Oh well, I guess we’ll find out. Pinkamena leaned over to the Rarity doll and began to sniff the purple yarn on top of its head. Curiously, she extended her tongue, grasping a few strands with it and inserting them into her mouth. She slowly moved it around in her mouth before nibbling on it gently.

Rarity looked over to Fluttershy, who was sleeping peacefully on the couch now. She slowly ran her hoof through her mane before pulling the old quilt over her shoulders to keep her warm. Rarity rose up from the couch to investigate Pinkamena’s bizarre behavior.

“Pinkie,” the Twilight doll cut in. “I’d hate to interrupt your moment, but it seems we have company. Say, doesn’t she look familiar?”

Pinkamena looked up to see Rarity standing a short ways away from the table, observing them quietly. Both Rarity and Pinkamena stayed silent and still, unsure as what to do or say to the other.

“Why don’t you invite her to join us?” the Twilight doll suggested. “After all, we do have an extra seat and you know as well as I that a party can never have too many guests.”

“Uh… right.” Pinkamena said, dropping the yarn from her mouth. “Why don’t you join us?” she offered, pointing to the empty seat at the opposite end of the table from herself.

Rarity nervously scooted over to the seat. It appeared that the doll with her likeness never removed its button eyes from her general direction. The silence had continued even after she had taken her seat. It was so silent and still, that if Fluttershy had tried to whisper something, both of them would have heard it.

“Ugh… how about you start with introductions?” the Twilight doll suggested, sounding a little agitated.

“We’ve already had the displeasure of meeting,” Pinkamena whispered to the dolls through gritted teeth.

“Well we haven’t,” the Rarity doll interjected “Besides, she looks quite stunning. I would like to know a few of her beauty secrets.”

“Fine!” Pinkamena barked at the two dolls before turning her attention to Rarity. “My two friends were interested in meeting you. This here is Twilight Sparkle,” Pinkamena said, lifting the arm of the Twilight doll and waving it rather cheerfully, despite how unwilling she was. “She is the most powerful unicorn in all of Equestria.” Pinkamena paused for a moment to give Rarity a glare before turning her attention over to the other doll. “And this is my other friend, Rarity. She’s the greatest fashion designer ever.”

Rarity looked at Pinkamena awkwardly before noticing that she was waiting impatiently for her to introduce herself. Rarity thought carefully for a moment. She knew that Pinkamena hadn’t believed Spike when they were first reunited, so trying to convince her that she was the real Rarity might not go over so well. Her eyes darted around the room as she quickly tried to come up with an alias. “Pleased to meet you,” she began, turning her attention to the dolls. “My name is Violet. Violet Diamond.”

Satisfied, Pinkamena resumed her peculiar behavior. “Could I trouble you for a piece of cake?” She inquired.

Rarity looked over to the center of the table where she observed a gruesome sight. The cake, once probably a well-made chocolate cake with chocolate icing, was slumped onto the plate as if it had been slowly melting away. The icing was glossy from the oils that had seeped out after sitting in the open for so long. From where a couple slices had been cut out, Rarity could see the breading of the cake which was dry and stale. Upon closer inspection, she could even see flecks of mold growing in it. Rarity moved a hoof up to her mouth as a feeling of nausea began to set in.

Before she even had a chance to decline however, Pinkamena cut a generous slice of the rotting confectionary and tossed it on the table directly in front of Rarity, landing with a sickening “squish.” Pinkamena leaned over the table, watching her expectantly. “Try it! I made this cake three weeks ago and it was just so delicious that I just had to share it with other ponies!” Her demeanor had shifted to a more cheerful state, which, due to the circumstances, only sounded sadistic.

“Um… I’m grateful for your generous offer, but, you see, I’ve already-” Rarity stopped short in her sentence when she noticed that Pinkamena’s face had contorted into an angry look. “I mean I would love to… have a sample I mean…” Considering what had happened to Twilight the last time that she had seen Pinkamena, she became concerned for her own well-being. That, and the fact that Pinkamena was now leaning in closer to her and there was a knife just within reach.

Rarity took the fork from the table and examined it briefly. “At least this looks clean enough to eat off of.” Satisfied, she took the fork and began to pick at the piece of cake that slouched on the plate in front of her. Every time she poked it, it gave of an unpleasant “squish” which almost caused her to lose whatever contents she had in her stomach. She looked back to Pinkamena with tears in her eyes, hoping that her demented host was merely joking, but the face that glared back was only becoming more and more impatient. With a deep gulp, she looked back down at the plate, much to her dismay; she found that her picking at it had only served to make it even less appetizing than before. The pile of mush that sat on her plate no longer resembled cake. She could’ve even sworn she saw it move at one point.

With the fork in hoof, she slowly reached down to the plate and scooped up a very small portion of cake. As she raised the fork to her lips, she caught a whiff of a foul odor, causing her eyes to water and her nausea to return. She took a second to try and regain her composure.

“It’s no different than the moldy cheese they serve at fancy parties,” she tried to convince herself. With one quick motion, she moved the fork into her mouth and closed down on it, instantly feeling the malicious attack on her taste buds. Rarity scrambled around for something to wash it down, fighting to keep the food in her mouth. She grabbed one of the cups on the table, filled with a clear liquid that she hoped to Celestia was water. She guzzled the entire contents of the cup without regret, feeling the cake slither its way down her throat. The water had been stale, like it had been left out for a while, but it had served its purpose and removed most of the awful taste in her mouth. She let out a gasp for air as she slumped back into her chair, relieved that the ordeal was over.

Pleased with her guest, Pinkamena released the tension she had been building up, lowering herself back into her seat. “Well it was kind of you all to drop by,” she began, taking a sip from a cup. “I don’t get many visitors, not that I particularly mind,” she said, looking to a window out at the snowfall. “I don’t blame them though. Nopony really wants come all the way out here and spend time with me anyways.” Pinkamena couldn’t stop herself from tearing up.

“I have been meaning to ask you that. What are you doing all the way out here?” Rarity asked, still struggling to speak with the unpleasant aftertaste lingering in her mouth. “Why don’t you live in Ponyville where it’s warmer? I’m sure your friends would really love to have you around again too.”

“Friends? Oh, you mean them.” Surprisingly, she didn’t get angry at the mention of them, but instead became even more sullen. “I don’t want to see them anymore. They only like to play tricks on me.” She quickly turned and shot Rarity an ugly glance. “You shouldn’t have helped them. You have no idea how much that hurt.”

Rarity felt a terrible guilt build up inside despite being completely innocent in the whole situation. One of her best friends had been living alone for so long and as far as she knew, nopony had even stopped by to try and work things out. “I’m so sorry Pinkie. I had no idea,” Rarity cried. “I’m sure they miss you a lot.”

“No they don’t!” Pinkamena shouted. “You saw them. The first time they see me in YEARS and they try to prank me!” She bawled into her hooves as Rarity continued her attempts to convince her of the misunderstanding.

“Please Pinkie!” Rarity pleaded. “They miss you! I miss you!”

“SHUT UP!” she shouted at the top of her lungs, causing Rarity to reel back and waking a certain shy pegasus. “You don’t know them like I know them! If you are going to defend them, then I have nothing to say to you!” With that, she stood up and turned away from Rarity, sobbing quietly in the corner of the room.

“W-w-what’s all the shouting about?” Fluttershy called out.

“Oh you’re awake.” Rarity responded, surprised that her friend was up. “It’s nothing darling. We must be on our way soon, at least as soon as you are ready.”

“Oh my… is Pinkie okay?” Fluttershy asked timidly, noticing her crying in the corner.

Before she could go and offer her a shoulder, Rarity held out her hoof to stop her, shaking her head. “She isn’t. I don’t think we can help her either. Not alone at least.”

-----

Fluttershy had enough time to stretch her legs out in preparation for their journey back to Ponyville. Her wing was still sore and swollen from her injury, making it too painful for her to move it. Pinkamena had retreated back to her room with her two dolls already.

Rarity knew that she needed to do something, but with Pinkamena so far gone, she needed the help of all her friends to remind her of their friendship. Besides, there was something more important, at least to Rarity, which she needed to find. In the time they had spent in Pinkamena’s home, Sweetie Belle could have come and gone already. Rarity was worried that she may have missed her only opportunity to reunite with her sister.

Fluttershy stood waiting at the door waiting. “Wait,” Rarity said before turning towards Pinkamena’s room. She gave the door a gentle knock, waiting for an answer, but none came. “Pinkie, you have my sincerest apologies for everything I said, but I just want you to know, that you don’t have to live your life alone anymore. If you ever need somepony, I will be there for you.” Rarity waited for an answer, but none ever came. Disappointed, she turned to Fluttershy and walked towards the door. “Let’s go Fluttershy, while it is still fairly clear.” She gave her a timid nod before they opened the door and headed out.

Pinkamena opened up her door quickly to try and stop them, but it was too late. Her home was empty; just as empty as it had always been.

“Pinkie, I think that she meant what she said. You shouldn’t have been so hard on them,” the Twilight doll said in a condescending tone.

“We made a promise remember. As long as we have each other, we would never need anypony else.” Pinkamena cried. “Right, Rarity?”

The Rarity doll remained silent.

-----

Rarity and Fluttershy made their way back into the safety of Ponyville. Their trip was, for the most part, uneventful, other than the fact that Fluttershy limped the whole way. Their first stop was to Ponyville General. Rarity owed it to Fluttershy to make time to get her wing properly cared for. As they entered the building, they were greeted by an older white mare with a faded pink mane. Right away, she noticed that Fluttershy’s wing was inflamed and swollen and she was walking with a limp.

Nurse Redheart came rushing over to them, letting Fluttershy lean on her to take her weight off her injured hoof. “My goodness, Fluttershy! What happened to you!” she asked, shocked at her condition.

“It’s… nothing… I… I guess I just overexerted myself,” she said timidly.

Both Rarity and Nurse Redheart exchanged sarcastic looks, raising an eyebrow at her explanation.

“Right, well let’s get you taken care of,” Nurse Redheart cut in, breaking the awkward moment. “We should probably check the extent of your injuries.” She led Fluttershy by her injured hoof to an empty room for a quick examination.

-----

Rarity waited patiently in the lobby reading some old fashion magazines that sat on a coffee table for ‘who-knows-how-long.’ She focused on every page, fascinated by each little article; the opportunity to read up on future fashion trends was too much to pass up. The more she read, the more excited she became, practically squealing out loud right in the lobby. Rarity looked up quickly, biting her lip. She shifted her eyes around the room for anypony that might be looking at her before slowly slipping the magazine in her saddlebag. “It’s not cheating. I’m just… finding inspiration,” she tried to assure herself.

Within a few minutes, the door opened up, revealing Fluttershy being led by Nurse Redheart back into the lobby. Her wing was bandaged up and secured in a sling while her hoof was held in another sling. She hobbled over to Rarity with a smile on her face. “See, Rarity. It’s nothing to worry about. I just need to keep from using them for a while,” she said, gesturing to her hoof and wing with a head tilt.

Even though she wore a sincere smile, Rarity was overwhelmed by guilt over her friend’s injuries. If she hadn’t pushed her so hard, none of this would have happened. She rushed over to the butter-yellow pegasus with tears in her eyes as she lent her a shoulder to lean on. “I’m so sorry Fluttershy!” She cried. “I’ve been so selfish. Can you ever forgive me?”

“Oh you don’t have to blame yourself.” Fluttershy beamed assuredly. “I care about Sweetie Belle too, and I will do anything I can to help her.”

Rarity swung around and wrapped her hooves around Fluttershy, being extra cautious of her injured limbs. “Thank you!” Thank you so much!”

-----

“Goodbye, and good luck!” Fluttershy squeaked from her doorway as Rarity headed on her way to the outskirts of Ponyville once again. After their last ordeal, they agreed that it would be best if Fluttershy stayed back and got some rest. The path to Whitetail Wood wasn’t particularly long, but it wasn’t weather controlled either. However, unlike their previous trip, Rarity could handle it on her own.

Making haste, she galloped down the road. She had already lost a lot of time with the unexpected stop at Pinkamena’s residence and then again for Fluttershy at the hospital. By her estimates, it was around five in the afternoon. “At this rate, I’ll lose my dear sister forever! No more distractions. I must find her, no matter the cost!”

Rarity continued down the path until she reached the edge of town, stopping right at the town limits. A chill ran down her spine, not from the colder temperatures, but from an eerie feeling that crept up on her. She looked all around. The only ponies around were a few pegasi, pushing stray clouds out to the edge of town. Resting on top of one of the clouds however, instead of working, a white stallion with a blue mane seemed to be watching Rarity leave town intently.

“Strange,” she whispered to herself. After a few moments, he continued on with his job, moving the cloud he was resting on back out to the edge of town. Rarity quickly shrugged it off as she continued onwards into the white abyss.

She found it hard to navigate her way through a combination of high winds, a barrage of snow and sleet, and chest deep snow covering most of the path. The freezing air was biting in her lungs, but despite the pain, she pressed onwards. Stopping in this weather would mean certain death, but she knew that once she made it into the woods, the weather would die down sufficiently.

Using her magic, she cut an indention in the path of snow ahead of her, making sure she could still see the tan dirt of the pathway before continuing. Without any defining features along the way or horizon to make point, it was the only way she could truly navigate through the abyss.

After a short while, she could finally see the tree line of Whitetail Wood just ahead of her. With an extra burst of energy, she bounded forward into the forest, almost immediately feeling a difference in the climate. The tall, white trees weren’t thick, but their numbers served to create a mild barrier for the wind, creating their own sort of climate control. Still, not many ponies inhabited these areas, due to the dangers of living so far from civilization.

Rarity shivered, knocking off a large amount of snow that had accumulated on her body. She hadn’t even noticed it, since her whole body had been numb from the cold. Her pace slowed to a crawl as she felt the exhaustion of her trip finally began to set in. “I must go on. I’m so close!” She coached herself. “Sweetie Belle!” She called out between pants. “I’m coming!”

Just on the horizon appeared a small cottage, not unlike the one that Pinkamena lived in, but much cozier looking. Rarity continued on, as fast as she could as the features of it became clearer. It was built from stone and wood; not very well, but sturdy enough to survive the blizzard. Its roof was made of hay, but the constant wind had knocked off much of it, leaving holes here and there and revealing the wooden frame beneath it. In front of the building was a wooden plaque, slightly covered in snow. Rarity brushed off the snow with her hoof, revealing the painted numbers 1133.

“This is it,” she said, beaming with confidence and pride. She slowly lifted up her hoof and gave the shanty wooden door a firm knock. Instead of an answer, the door gave off a ghostly creak and slowly swung open. Rarity peeked in and looked around the shack. “Hello~,” she called out with an inflection in her voice. There was no answer but only the ghoulish moan of the wind blowing in through every crack in the walls. Rarity slowly opened the door until a small chain snapped taught. The chain was the only thing keeping the door from swinging wide open but it was easily removed with magic. As she let herself inside, she lit up her horn to provide light in the small, one bedroom shack.

Inside, she could see dust floating around, either as if nopony had been there in a while, or just because the floor was dirt. In the center of the room sat an iron stove with a metal pipe leading up to the roof. Around the walls were simple furnishings: a small bed, wooden chair and table, and a small counter. On the table however, something caught Rarity’s eye; a small rectangular picture frame, covered in dust sat. She magicked it over to her and brushed off a portion of the dust, revealing a picture of herself and Sweetie Belle, fifteen years ago in Canterlot.

She remembered that day well.

-----

“Rarity! Look! Can we? Can we? Can we?” Sweetie Belle asked excitedly. On the path ahead of them was a photographer taking a picture of a couple standing to where Canterlot Castle could be seen behind them.

“Hokay, I’m going to count to three, an’ ven ve take ze picture,” the photographer said in a thick accent. He was a slim tan stallion, wearing a black turtleneck sweater and a grey beret over his slick dark-brown mane.

The couple pulled each other close and smiled for the camera as the photographer took his position under the veil, holding up a flash bulb.

“Hokay, vun, two, three-,”

Just before the camera snapped its shot, the colt brought his face to his sweetie’s cheek and laid a big smooch on her. With that she lit up just as bright as the camera’s bulb flashed.

“Awwww,” both Rarity and Sweetie Belle cooed out in unison. Rarity was sold.

After the couple took their photograph and paid the stallion, Rarity went up to him and asked, “How much for a photo?”

“Ah, ze price iz three bits for ze photo, and six for ze photo and frame,” he said with a warm smile.

“I’ll take the photo with the frame. I want to remember this forever,” Rarity beamed.

The photographer nodded quickly and prepared his camera rig for another photo. "Take your positions while I get ze camera ready," he said, working with the dexterity and precision of a surgeon on his camera.

Sweetie Belle had already rushed over to the edge of the walkway overlooking the river and took her place, bouncing with excitement. Rarity followed after her, dropping to her haunches right behind her sister and lowering her hooves on her shoulders to keep her still.

“Hokay, same as before, on ze count of three, I take ze picture,” he said before pulling the veil over his head. Rarity and Sweetie Belle stood still as he held up the flash bulb.

“Hokay, vun, two, three-,”

Just like before, right before the photographer snapped the photo, Rarity swooped down and placed her hooves on her little sister’s sides while placing her snout to her neck and blowing hard to tickle her.

*Click*

-----

The photo captured a beautiful scene. Her sister was laughing happily in her arms with the sun just peeking over the castle in the background. Rarity truly would never forget that moment for as long as she lived.

She carefully sat the picture back on the table with tears in her eyes. That was possibly Sweetie Belle’s last memory of them together before her life took its unexpected turn. Rarity was filled with sadness as she fell into the chair, weeping quietly.

Suddenly, there came a knock on the door.

-----

Fluttershy sat on her sofa, surrounded by animals who were concerned about the bandages. Angel stood by her head and brushed her hair while she rested. He was an old hare now; due to Fluttershy’s care and diligence, he was able to live well past his expected lifespan.

While she slept, he took charge and commanded all the animals with a firm paw to give her space, to which they obliged. He turned back to care for Fluttershy, much like she did for him every time he was sick or injured, before a knock at the door startled them both.

Fluttershy hopped off the couch and hobbled over to the door to greet her guest. As she opened the door, standing at the entrance was a pony wearing a black hoodie which covered almost all of its body. Fluttershy squeaked in terror as she hid behind the door. “Oh… uh… hello… Is there something I can help you with?

The pony sat back on its haunches, and removed the hood, revealing her long, flowing, light pink and purple locks and a unicorn horn.

“Sw… Sweetie Belle?!” She called out in surprise, hopping out from behind the door.

“Wow, you catch on quicker than Spike, that’s for sure,” she said with a smile on her face. “I was told that you would know where my sister is.”

“RARITY!” Fluttershy squeaked. “Oh no! She went looking for you in Whitetail Wood! We’ve gotta go find her.” Fluttershy made a motion to give chase before stumbling into the waiting arms of Sweetie Belle.

“Whoa Fluttershy! Not like that.” Sweetie Belle chuckled. “My word, what happened to you?”

“Oh, I took a little tumble when I tried to fly in the blizzard, but I’m okay,” Fluttershy said with a smile. “I’ll tell you about it later… well unless you want to hear about it now. I think you should go find Rarity… unless you want to wait here for her.”

“No, you’re right Fluttershy,” Sweetie Belle beamed, excited to finally be able to meet up with her sister after so long. “I must be on my way. Thank you so much for your help.” With that, she darted off down the path towards her home in Whitetail Wood.

“Good luck,” Fluttershy called out to the speeding unicorn.”

-----

With boundless energy, Sweetie Belle ran through the snow, having memorized the path by heart now. She was making light of the effort that Rarity had put out to get there. The wind whistled a joyous tune in her ears as she bounded through the snow. The cold air didn’t bother her much, since she would frequently run in the cold to keep her agility up. All of her years on the run made her a fairly fit mare. If she could clear her name, she could probably hold her own as an Olymponic athlete.

Before long, she had already reached the edge of Whitetail Wood, picking up her pace to finally be reunited with her sister. As she reached her cottage, she quickly slowed to a near halt, catching her breath before she would enter to meet her sister. “This is it… Fifteen years and I finally get to see her.”

After catching her breath she pushed open the door to a dark room. Lighting her horn, she quickly scanned the room before seeing her sister sitting at the table with her back to her and her head resting on the table. “Rarity!” She called out with glee.

Rarity slowly lifted her head and turned to see her sister bounding towards her.

Just as quickly as Sweetie Belle had been running towards her, she came to a quick stop when she saw Rarity’s face. She had been crying, mascara running down her face and dripping off her chin. That’s when she noticed that Rarity was hoofcuffed to the legs of the table.

“I’m so sorry Sweetie Belle,” she sobbed.

Just then, the door slammed shut and two Royal Guards jumped out from behind Sweetie Belle, grabbing her and shoving her to the ground.

“Sweetie Anna Belle,” the guard bellowed in a commanding voice. “You are under arrest for the crimes of arson, armed robbery, evading arrest, and six counts of assault.” He flipped her over, forcing her hooves together and cuffing them. “You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney…”

His voice began to trail off as Sweetie Belle stared, transfixed at her sisters soulless eyes as she continued to sob. “HOW COULD YOU!” she shrieked in a booming voice. “HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME!”

“I didn’t know,” Rarity said, almost in a dead tone.

“You thought you could run forever didn’t you. We received a tip from a ‘Tootsie Flute,’ that your sister knew where you were,” he boasted. “We simply followed her from Cloudsdale and she led us right to you,” he laughed as he lifted her off the ground. "How does it feel knowing that the only family you have left, led to your inevitable capture.” He moved his face an inch away from Sweetie Belle’s ear. “HOW DOES IT FEEL?!” He bellowed.

“Tootsie Flute?! You trusted her!” Sweetie Belle shrieked even louder this time, causing the house to shake.

“I didn’t know,” Rarity said again, staring off through her tears into space.

“It’s her fault! She did this to me.” Sweetie Belle continued to yell, getting louder with each word. “She started the fire! She made my life hell and you… TRUSTED HER?!”

“I didn’t know…”

The guards were too busy enjoying the torment that the elusive criminal they had been chasing for over eleven years was enduring.

“I HATE YOU, RARITY!” she shouted as a guard led her out the door to a now awaiting wagon. “I HATE YOU!”

The remaining guard returned to un-cuff Rarity and then turned to leave. “You’re free to go now,” he called out before slamming the door shut behind him.

“I’m so sorry…”