• Published 1st Nov 2011
  • 24,883 Views, 593 Comments

Lost Time - McSqueakers



Twilight and Rarity are sent 15 years into the future.

  • ...
32
 593
 24,883

[Chapter 2] Reunion

[Chapter 2] Reunion

============================================================================

Twilight was completely inconsolable. She had been crying for a little over an hour since Spike had given her the bad news. Twilight lay on the floor of the bathroom alone, occasionally hearing a knock on the door from someone coming to check on her. After he broke the news, Twilight didn’t know how to react. She bolted out of the study and into the bathroom, slamming the door shut and locking it behind her. Her forehead burned but it was nothing compared to the weight she felt crushing her heart. Her mentor was dead and Twilight never even got to say goodbye. From the time that Twilight was a filly, newly enrolled in Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, Celestia had been there for her. She was more than just her mentor. She had raised her for the most part of her life. Princess Celestia and Twilight shared a relationship that only a mother and daughter could.

Twilight could feel the emptiness that this world she had been thrown into had exerted. Celestia’s magic had permeated the world that she remembered. Every plant, every animal, every breath; they all shared the warmth of Celestia’s magic from her radiant sun. All that magic was gone now. There she laid, alone, tears relentlessly streaming down her cheeks. All her feelings of confidence, pride, and happiness were replaced by sadness, pain, and loneliness.

*Knock Knock*

Rarity gently rapped on the door and placed her ear on the door, awaiting a response from her distraught friend. She could no longer hear the unrelenting torrents of sobs that had echoed around the library earlier, but she did hear the occasional sniffle that let her know that her friend was, to put it bluntly, still alive. “Twilight... I know how hard this is…” Rarity choked out “but I’m…”

“NO! YOU DON’T!” Twilight shouted through the door. “Celestia meant more to me than you think! She wasn’t just my teacher! She was like my mothe—” Twilight bit her lip, suddenly realizing just who she was talking to. An uneasy silence befell the two ponies for what felt like an eternity.

Tears started to well up in Rarity’s eyes.

“Mother…”

-----

Rarity lay down at the foot of her bed with Sweetie Belle wrapped up in her hooves, gently rocking her. The first rays of morning began to pierce through the thick gray clouds outside. It was utterly quiet except for the ticking of a regal grandfather clock that echoed around the small bedroom. *Tick* Each second seemed to pass ever slowly with each tick. *Tock* The anxiety that filled the room had become nauseating as the pendulum teetered ever so close to the height of its swing but seemed to never reach its apex. *Tick* The decorations in the face of the clock made it look like it was enjoying their pain, mocking them with each second that slipped away. *Tock* Each sound seemed to reverberate around the room for minutes on end. The face contorted to laugh at their suffering. *Tick*

“Rarity… Is mommy going to be okay? Sweetie Belle asked.

“Try not to think about it. The doctors are taking care of her.” Rarity did her best to try and comfort her little sister. “They will do whatever they can.” She brought her sister in close to embrace her as she started to tear up.

Suddenly, several voices could be heard coming up the hallway, stopping in front of Rarity’s door. She could hear them discussing but couldn’t quite make out what they were saying. Rarity gripped her sister tightly, the anticipation numbing her mind.

The doorknob began to twist slowly until the door hung loosely on its hinges for a moment. It slowly creaked open as an old tan stallion with a flat gray mane walked in. He was wearing a white coat and thick rimmed glasses. He looked down at the two young ponies who sat shivering on the bed clutching each other as if he was the most frightening thing that they had ever seen. He pursed his lips and began to walk over to the bed, taking a seat at the edge near them. “Girls.” He said removing his glasses. “We did everything we could… but… well she doesn’t have much time left. Maybe a few minutes if we are lucky.” With his free hoof, he wiped the wetness from under his eyes. “She wishes to see you.”

Both Rarity and Sweetie Belle got up quickly, tears pouring out of their eyes. Just before Sweetie Belle was about to take off towards the room that her mother was in, Rarity reached out and took her hoof. “Sweetie Belle.” She said between her sobs. “We have to be strong. This… this may be the l... last time we will talk to her…” Rarity leaned down to Sweetie Belle’s level and whispered into her ear. “D… don’t hold anything back.”

They both turned back to the doctor who had already gotten up and was waiting at the door to lead the two fillies to their mother. Rarity looked into his eyes through her blurry vision and she gave him a weak nod. He reached his hoof out to guide the two fillies as they walked to get in front of him.

The hallway to the room had never seemed so large. They lived in a modest home, far from luxury, but cozy in its own. Today, however, the walk down the hallway had been the longest walk of their lives. The walls appeared to tower above them while the door at the end of the hallway seemed to be hundreds of yards away. The walk dragged on and on but with each step, the door seemed to shrink down farther into the horizon. It was utterly quiet. Even the sounds from their sobbing had been drowned out by the hum of the silence. Rarity stopped just short of the door, reaching her hoof out, when suddenly the door opened up.

*Tock*

-----

Twilight was standing in the open doorway, tears flooding her eyes. She looked deep into Rarity’s eyes as she started to break down. “I’m so sorry!” She cried as she rushed to hug her friend. “I… I didn’t mean that. I shouldn’t have said that.” She said between her heavy sobs. “I know what you’ve been through. I’m so sorry!”

“Shh… shh… it’s okay.” Rarity said as she ran her hoof through Twilight’s mane. “All is forgiven.” She put her hooves on Twilights shoulders to break the hug for a second. As she looked into Twilight’s eyes she gave her a strong smile. “Everything is going to be okay.”

Twilight had stopped sobbing as she wiped away tears from her eyes. She gave Rarity a nod and then reached back over to give her one last hug. “Thank you, Rarity.” She said with a smile.

Just then, downstairs, the door opened up and Spike came in, brushing the snow off of his coat. “Hey guys, Pinkie is on her way. Has AJ come back yet?” He called up.

“I’m right here Spike!” Applejack called out from the study. She walked out of the door to speak more clearly to Spike. “Fluttershy should be back with Rainbow Dash any minute now.”

“She got back shortly after you left.” Rarity called out from the top of the staircase.

Twilight walked uneasily out of the bathroom as she looked around. “AJ’s here? When did… why didn’t she come and say hi?”

“Well, you were locked up in that there bathroom cryin’ yer eyes out and well… ya know I ain’t good with all that mushy stuff.” Applejack said bluntly.

Rarity gave her a stern look. “What she means to say, is that she would rather not disturb you while you were grieving.”

“But I’m glad to see ya got all that out of yer system.” She interrupted again. “When I first got here, you were knocked out… uh… cold, so to speak, but after I went and got Fluttershy you were cryin’ yer eyes out. It’s good to finally be able to talk to you again after fifteen years.”

Twilight bit her lip as she tried to come up with the words to say. “It’s all my fault. All the pain I must have caused you all.” Once again, Twilight could feel the pain in her head flare up again. “If, I hadn’t tried to do that spell, none of this would have happened.”

“Woah nelly. Twilight, that’s a lot of blame to put on one pony’s shoulders.” Applejack quickly interjected. “Shoot, we sure don’t blame ya for what happened. I’m just sure we’ll all be glad that yer back with us again.” Applejack rushed over to give her friend the hug that she missed the first time she came over. “It sure is good to see ya again.”

Twilight was swept up and spun around in Applejack’s embrace. The farm pony’s strength was evident as she effortlessly toyed with her like a ragdoll. The hug itself wasn’t very painful, but the spinning had made her head swarm with pain; enough for her to let out an audible yelp.

Applejack quickly stopped, carefully setting down Twilight. “Oops… Sorry Twi. I guess I just got a lil’ carried away.” Applejack kept a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder to help stabilize her.

Twilight didn’t respond. Her mind was elsewhere. She tried to concentrate through the pain to remember what had happened during her spell, but more importantly, what she did wrong. The whole event was a blur. None of her memories were clear, but instead, resembled trying to look through fogged glass. "Why did the spell go wrong? I’m sure I did everything right." She thought. "All I can remember is the glowing and then… then…" Twilight put a hoof to her forehead and winced in pain. "There was an explosion. Colorful… like a…"

Suddenly there came a rapping at the door followed by a familiar raspy voice. “Spike, this had better be important! I’m pretty busy you know.”

Spike motioned for Twilight and Rarity to hide as he reached for the door. “Coming!” He called out.

Applejack rushed down the stairs towards Spike as Twilight and Rarity both ducked into the bathroom, closing the door but leaving enough space to where they could peek out of. Once everypony was in place, Spike reached for the doorknob. Almost as soon as he gave it a turn, the door swung open knocking Spike back onto the floor.

“Alright, what’s the big idea interrupting one of my training sessions.” Rainbow Dash blurted out. She was still in her Wonderbolts uniform and her rainbow mane was slicked back. Twilight thought for a moment that it was that way because of the high speeds that the Wonderbolts often exhibited, but Rarity knew instantly that it had been that way only due to a lot of product. She looked unnaturally proud and confident; not that she hadn’t acted that way before, but this time, she had earned the right to be proud.

A moment after Rainbow Dash had finished her outburst, a butter-yellow pegasus pony timidly walked in. “Is there… something that you wanted to tell us Spike? Um… if you don’t mind me asking.” She mumbled out.

"Same old Fluttershy." Twilight thought as she rolled her eyes.

“Well we have to wait for Pinkie, but I have some serious news I need to tell you.” Spike looked up barely able to prevent himself from blurting it out but everypony could tell by his excitement that it was good news.

After several agonizing minutes, there finally came a knock on the door. Spike rushed over and opened it up, revealing a pink pony. However, even though this pony looked like Pinkie Pie right down to the cutie mark, that was where the similarities ended. This doppelganger wasn’t quite pastel pink like their friend, but she was more of a dull, grayish pink. Her mane and tail fell flat and straight and her eyes were red; the sign of fresh tears. She was thin and sickly looking and she walked low to the ground. This pony was not Pinkie Pie, or rather, not the same Pinkie Pie that Twilight and Rarity had left back in their own time.

“Pinkamena! You made it!” Spike said. “I know today is a sad day for you, but we have some good news. Would you like to hear it?” He talked to her like he was talking to an infant but there was a feeling of fear in his voice, instead like he was talking to a mental patient.

Pinkamena just dropped her head and shrugged, but she didn’t make a sound.

“Come here and sit.” Spike said as he led her by her arm over to a seat in the living quarters of the library. “In fact, everyone gather around. You may want to sit for this cause this is some pretty serious news.” Spike waited a moment for everyone to get situated. Applejack, having already heard the news, remained standing where she was. Fluttershy floated over to sit next to Pinkamena as Rainbow Dash remained hovering behind the couch. She had removed the hood of her Wonderbolts uniform, leaving it to dangle behind her neck.

“Everypony,” Spike began. “As you all know, today is the fifteenth anniversary of Twilight and Rarity’s disappearance.”

Everyone dropped their heads in sadness as they gave their friends a moment of silence.

“But today, something wonderful has happened.” He continued on. “No longer will we have to grieve on their disappearance! There is no easy way to explain just what is going on, so instead, I’ll show you.” Spike paused for a moment to try and scout out where the girls had hidden. “Girls, you can come out now.”

“NOW HOLD UP!” Rainbow Dash burst out. “Fifteen years and you honestly think that the solution to all our grieving is to… to… REPLACE THEM!?” Both Pinkie and Fluttershy let out a look of disgust. “HOW DARE YOU EVEN… even…” Suddenly, Rainbow Dash’s jaw hung low as her eyes drifted up to the two ponies now standing on the balcony.

Pinkamena and Fluttershy stared in confusion at Rainbow Dash’s sudden stop. Slowly, they followed her eyes to the stairs that their two long lost friends were now scaling. Fluttershy drew back in shock while Pinkamena squinted to focus on them.

Rainbow Dash bolted from her spot at break neck speeds, stopping short of the two unicorns. The motion was practically instantaneous, as if she had somehow learned, and even more miraculously, performed Twilight’s teleportation spell. She dropped down onto the stairs and wrapped her hooves around both of her friends. Tears streamed from her face as she tried to come up with words to say.

Then, a familiar presence fluttered her way next to the group and wrapped her hooves around them as well. Fluttershy let out a heavy sigh of relief. Applejack made her way over to the group and too wrapped her hooves around them as far as they could go, followed shortly by Spike. It would have been the most loving embrace that the group had ever shared... if not for one thing; Pinkamena never got up from the couch. Instead she stayed there, squinting angrily at the group. She gritted her teeth as she watched their happiness continue to mock her.

Spike reached his hand out towards Pinkamena, inviting her into the group. “What are you waiting for Pinkie? An invitation?” He joked.

Pinkamena’s eyes dilated as her whole body gave a violent twitch. She stood up quickly and headed for the door. “You think I’m a fool!” She stammered “Let’s all trick Pinkie Pie into false happiness again! She loves jokes! Well know this! I AM NOT A FOOL. Twilight and Rarity are dead and nothing will ever bring them back!” She opened up the door and stormed out of the library, slamming the door shut. Several pictures and trinkets nearby were knocked off the walls and shelves by the force.

-----

It had been almost a whole hour of searching and there was no sign of Pinkamena. The first place anyone thought to look was at Sugarcube Corner, but there was no sign of her there. They all had split up after that but nopony had seen any sign of her. Twilight walked down the snow trodden path back to the library from her unsuccessful trip to the mayor’s office, bracing with every gust of wind. However, despite the bitterness of the chill, the cold wind was soothing on Twilight’s forehead.

As Twilight walked, she noticed something off about Ponyville. All around the market, there were ponies going about all of their midday affairs. Down by the café, now remodeled to an exclusively indoor restaurant, she could see ponies enjoying light meals. Shops were open and bustling and the post office was buzzing with activity. Twilight had expected that most places would become accustomed to the continuous weather and eventually carry on with their daily lives, but what struck the whole situation as odd was that it was night. The moon was hanging larger than ever directly overhead through an open patch of clouds, creating a ghostly glow across the snow. As Twilight’s eyes traced the horizon, she noticed, off in the distance away from the town, a grayish figure silhouetted by the moonlight. The figure looked back and then darted off.

Twilight gave chase after her, fighting to keep up against the wind and snow that buffeted her with every step, but to no avail. The figure was just too fast. It had slipped off into the distance, hidden by the increasingly thickening blizzard. Twilight looked around, but Ponyville had disappeared from sight. She couldn’t even see five yards in front of her, let alone any features to help her find her way back. Even her hoofprints disappeared below the constant flurry of snow. “HELP!” Twilight screamed out, but against the howl of the wind, even she could not hear her own voice. She was lost, scared, and alone. She huddled down into the snow as she frantically tried to come up with a way out of her situation.

"I know!" She thought. "I’ll just teleport back to the library." She concentrated on the new details that she could remember of the library and then began to focus her magic into a tunnel of sorts. Almost as soon as she was able to create enough energy to manifest her magic, a spark exploded from her horn, knocking her back into the snow. Twilight opened her eyes to see that her vision had blurred from her disorientation. Her horn flared up, glowing with an arcane fire as she winced at the pressure in her head.

Even though she was still lost, Twilight was extremely lucky. The cold wind was enough to keep Twilight’s horn from overheating, potentially causing her some serious damage and the heat it gave off was enough to keep her from freezing in the blizzard. It created a temperate ‘bubble’ around Twilight that, while not comfortable, was survivable. "I guess I can’t use my magic." She pondered. "My only choice is to wait it out." Twilight had sat in the wet patch of grass that she created with her heat and lowered her head down. She felt utterly exhausted from her attempt at magic. Her eyelids slowly fluttered closed, but just before they shut, she could see a set of grayish-pink hooves step in front of her.

-----

Twilight opened up her eyes to find that she was inside a shack, hastily built, but sturdy enough to protect its inhabitants from the elements. She could hear the howl of the wind coming from outside. Twilight looked around the room to see that it was decorated with old party supplies, tattered streamers hung from the ceiling and deflated balloons lay on the ground around the shack. A table was in the center with party cups and plates set for three. In one of the chairs sat a doll in the shape of a pony. Twilight rose up and walked over to get a better view at it. It was made with white fabric turned gray and stained brown with age. Its mane and tail were made of purple yarn, and on its head was a unicorn horn. Twilight lifted it off the seat to inspect it closer when she noticed on its flank were three blue diamonds for a cutie mark. “Is… is this Rarity?” She spoke to herself. Before she could investigate further, just off in the next room, Twilight could hear a voice speaking in muffled whispers.

“No she isn’t. She isn’t real Twilight. You are. You are the real Twilight.” The voice sounded frantic. “But what if she tries to hurt me?”

There was a long pause but Twilight could hear some incoherent mumbles. She set the doll back where she got it and moved in closer to try and make out what the voice was saying.

“Okay. If you think so, then I trust you…” the voice said assuredly, “but I will keep my eye on her to make sure she doesn’t try anything funny.”

Twilight gave a light knock on the door. On the other side, she could hear the pony on the other side jump up quickly. “Hello… I just wanted to say thank you for rescuing me out there.” Twilight waited and listened but she didn’t get a response. Just as Twilight turned to walk back to the couch that she woke up on, the door swung open, revealing a pink mare with long straight hair.

“Oh… Pinkie… It’s you.” Twilight stumbled over her words. “We were all looking for you and…”

“My name is Pinkamena.” She quickly interrupted as she gave Twilight a sneer. She walked up face to face with Twilight. “Don’t get too comfortable. Twilight may trust you but I don’t. I’m keeping my eyes on you.” Pinkamena turned quickly, whipping her hair across Twilights face.

Twilight was more confused than annoyed at her friend’s behavior. “But…” She mumbled out as her friend disappeared into the darkness of the room that she had come out of. Twilight had no words to say to her friend. She was unprepared for how Pinkamena had reacted to her presence. Twilight knew Pinkie had gone crazy; she wasn’t oblivious- but nopony had explained to her exactly what had made her that way.

Pinkamena returned to the doorway, clutching a lavender doll with dark purple and pink yarn for a mane and tail. She gave Twilight a cold stare as she walked over to the table. She pulled out the one of the empty chairs, carefully placing the doll onto it and pushing the chair in. Curiously, she leaned over holding her hair away from her ear as if the doll had a secret to tell her. After a few seconds, she let out a sigh and then looked over to Twilight. “We were just about to celebrate the day of my friends return, but Twilight said I should invite you.” Pinkamena said through clenched teeth.

Even though the prospect of being guest to such a strange party irked Twilight, she couldn’t refuse the opportunity to try to communicate with Pinkamena. She walked over to the only unset place at the table, directly across from where Pinkamena was now sitting. The two stared at each other silently for several minutes. Even the dolls seemed to be enjoying their time more than Twilight and Pinkamena.

“So…” Twilight awkwardly said, trying to break the silence. “What is the occasion? I mean, I know you said your friend’s return, but what do you mean by that?”

Pinkamena’s face remained locked onto Twilight as she began to explain. “Well, fifteen years ago, two of my friends died. I was really upset and never wanted to throw a party again. Then all my so-called friends thought it would be funny to try and trick me into thinking that they had come back by giving me these dolls.” She let out a loud grunt as she contorted her face into a sneer. “They think I’m stupid. I was so heartbroken but then something wonderful happened.” Pinkamena twisted her face into a grim smile. “Twilight and Rarity came back to me. Well not entirely. Their souls are in the dolls! Now I get the last laugh. I get Twilight and Rarity all to myself.”

Twilight couldn’t stand to see her friend so delusional. Tears started to trickle down her cheeks. “It’s me Pinkie!” She screamed as she reached across the table to grab the pink pony by the shoulders, knocking over cups and plates in the process. She began to shake her violently. “Please Pinkie! Snap out of it! It’s your friend! It’s me, Twilight!”

Suddenly, Twilight was struck across the cheek. The force of the impact sent her tumbling over the side of the table, knocking the chair holding the Twilight doll over. She sat up quickly rubbing her bruised cheek with her hoof. Pinkamena was standing above her with her hooves up, panting heavily. Her eyes were completely glossed over and her pupils were dilated. Twilight sat there for what seemed like an eternity as her friend continued her soulless stare at her. She was too afraid to move from that spot.

Without warning, Pinkamena dropped rapidly down towards her, causing her to shut her eyes tight and brace for an impact. Twilight waited for a moment but the second strike never came. She slowly opened one eye to see what had happened. Pinkamena was sitting inches away from her, clutching the Twilight doll. Her eyes were filled with tears as she embraced the doll, rocking it gently.

“I’m so sorry, Twilight!” She sobbed to the doll. “I lost control!” She lowered her head and pressed the doll against her cheek. She lifted herself up and rushed over to pick up the Rarity doll. Holding both of the dolls in one hoof, she galloped over to the room that she had come out of, stopping suddenly in the doorway. She paused for a second and then turned to face Twilight. “As soon as the storm lets up enough, I want you to leave!” She said through her sniffling. With that she turned and headed back into the darkness.

-----

The moon began to shine through the gaps in the clouds and into the window of the library. Rarity was impatiently waiting to go searching for Twilight. All the ponies had immediately regretted sending her off alone when they realized that Twilight was taking too long to return.

“Shoot. We shouldn’t even have let her go in the first place!” Applejack shouted. “Especially not in her condition.”

“Well once Rainbow Dash comes back with that weather report, we can go out and search for her.” Rarity said, trying to offer a little comfort. “Besides, Twilight is a smart girl. I’m sure she found shelter before the storm got too serious.”

“Well, you got a point. It still ain’t gonna stop me from worryin’ about that girl though.”

“I know, AJ, and I’m worried too.”

Suddenly, they heard a knock at the door, followed by the sound of somepony letting themselves in.

“Oh that must be Rainbow Dash now.” Rarity stated, getting up to go greet the guest. To her surprise, standing in the doorway was not Rainbow Dash, but a certain lavender unicorn. “Good heavens, Twilight!” She gasped “Where in Equestria were you?! We were so concerned that you might have gotten lost in the blizzard.” Rarity paused for a moment, then eyed Twilight’s face. “What in Celestia’s name happened to your face?”

Twilight placed a hoof up to cover up her bruise. “Oh this? It’s nothing. I just tripped.” She lied. “Well I would have been worse off, but Pinkie saved me.”

“You found her?!” Both Applejack and Rarity blurted out.

Twilight put a hoof up to alert them that she wasn’t finished. “Yes and she is safe for the most part, but I really need to ask you a few questions, Applejack.”

Rarity could tell that Twilight needed her privacy, so she returned up the stairs to spend some time with Fluttershy in Spike’s study.

After Twilight could tell that Rarity was out of earshot, she turned to Applejack, giving her a stern look. “Applejack, I know that a lot has changed since we left you, but there’s something seriously wrong with Pinkie. Can you please tell me what happened to her?”

Applejack let out a heavy sigh. “Ah never thought that Pinkie would react like she did the day you went missin’.” Applejack took a seat on the couch. “When you left, she cried non-stop. Nothin’ we could do would comfort her, like she knew that we weren’t gonna find y’all. After about a month, she had gone missin’ too. We searched for her but we just couldn’t find her, at least until…” Applejack paused.

“Until what?”

“We heard screams comin’ from a house. We came in and found Berry Punch tied up on a chair. Her mane and tail were styled to look like yours, Twilight. Poor girl was frightened, but unharmed. She said that Pinkie had done it.”

Twilight was in shock. “Why didn’t anypony tell me this?! I was out there trapped with her!” Twilight lunged forward and gripped Applejack by the shoulders. “I could have died!”

“Twilight, it was a long time ago!” Applejack interrupted. “We ain’t proud of her for what she’s done, but we ain’t mad at her neither.” Applejack took control of the distraught unicorn and sat her down on the couch. “Twilight, she’s paid her dues, been in and out of the hospital more times than I can count.”

Twilight lowered her head, suddenly feeling guilty for accusing Pinkie of being capable of murdering her.

Applejack lowered herself and put a hoof under Twilight's chin, slowly raising it until their eyes met. “She only wanted y’all back. That’s all.” Applejack took a moment to allow Twilight to regain her composure. “But even though I wish that was the end of it, this story ain’t through just yet. She spent ten years in and out of psycho-whatchit care, but when she was released, we all wanted to give her somethin’ to smile about. Fluttershy made two dolls that looked like y’all for her as some sort a welcome home present. We didn’t mean her no harm, but Pinkie sure didn’t see it that way. She ran off ramblin’ and cryin’ about somethin’ but we couldn’t get her to calm down. She don’t like to see us often anymore. If anythin’, we thought that you guys could fix her back up.”

Twilight only let out a deep sigh of sadness. She knew that whatever she had done only helped to make things worse. “Well, there is one other thing I wanted to ask,” Twilight said, in an attempt to change the subject. “Why hasn’t the sun come up yet? I mean, it has been several hours and the moon hasn’t even moved an inch.” Twilight’s mind was only coming up with one reason for it, but she chose to ignore her suspicions. “I’m sure Princess Luna would be able to handle it after this long without…” Twilight paused, unable to say the words on her tongue.

“Well, that’s a lil’ complicated. I have no idea what happened, but when Celestia… left, the Sun did too.” Applejack began to explain. “Princess Luna said that it just vanished. She don’t move the moon ‘cause it’s the only source of light we have left. It don’t do us much good about the cold though.”

Twilight walked towards the window to observe the heavenly body. Its haunting beauty sent chills down her spine. The clouds that covered most of the sky were kept away from intruding the light by several pegasus ponies. Twilight had gotten so lost in thought about the moon and the Princesses that she didn’t notice the darkness forming beside her.

“Uh Twi…” Applejack worriedly called out to her.

Twilight snapped from her daydream and turned, noticing a small dark purple cloud begin to swirl next to her. The suddenness of it caused her to reel back. “What is that!” She shouted. The cloud grew lighter in color and sparkled like starlight, much like Nightmare Moon’s mane had. As the swirling became more intense, it seemed to focus itself into the center until it burst in a splash of sparkles, revealing a small scroll. The ribbon that sealed it was dark blue, and at the center of the knot, there was a moon insignia fastened to it. Twilight had reached out and grabbed the scroll and slowly unwound it.

“Well, what does it say?” Applejack said impatiently.

“Dear Twilight Sparkle,” Twilight began to read aloud. “It’s for me!” She said, shocked. “It has been fifteen years since you left, and much has changed. Princess Celestia had prophesied before her passing that on this day, you would return, and she asked that I pass on a message to you. I must request an audience with you as soon as possible.”

“Sincerely, Princess Luna.”