• Published 1st Nov 2011
  • 24,879 Views, 593 Comments

Lost Time - McSqueakers



Twilight and Rarity are sent 15 years into the future.

  • ...
32
 593
 24,879

[Chapter 4] Celestia's Prophecy

[Chapter 4] Celestia’s Prophecy

==============================================================================

Twilight had been wandering aimlessly around the unfamiliar city for almost half an hour. It could only be explained by a stroke of luck that she found her way back to the monorail terminal. As she waited for the next car, she couldn’t help but feel that everything that had led her back was suspiciously coincidental.

-----

Upon leaving the guard station, Twilight suddenly felt a splitting pain in her skull return, causing her to become disoriented. Using the wall as a brace, she started walking down the street towards the direction she thought she had come from.

For almost thirty minutes she had traveled down the road, unable to recognize any of her surroundings. She knew she was lost, but her stubbornness forced her to press onwards. As she turned at the next intersection, she could see neon lights of taverns and clubs littering the walls of the buildings all the way to the end of the strip. Loud and obnoxious stallions whistled and hollered at her as she passed by, trying not to make eye contact. Unfortunately, an unruly trio of unicorns had managed to cut off her escape. They were large and unkempt, the shades of their coats were indecipherable from the grime and grit that coated the alleyways and their manes and tails were greasy with sweat and dirt.

“Hey little lady,” the gray stallion said with a wrinkled smile. “Are you lost?” He stood right in front of Twilight, blocking her from heading any farther forward.

“Um… no, I’m quite alright.” She said as she slowly began to back up, bumping into a larger brown stallion.

“Looks like she might be havin’ a little trouble. She’s bumpin’ all over the place,” he said as he placed a hoof on her saddle bag. “Maybe we could provide some ‘assistance.’”

Quickly, she turned to remove the hoof and move to the side, away from the pair. Unsurprisingly, the third stallion had maneuvered his way to block her path that way as well, trapping her against the wall. “Gentlecolts, I’m sure… uh… grateful for the offer, but I think I see my ride over there.” She pointed towards the direction of a cart carrying a few cases of bottles down the street, hoping that it would distract them long enough for her to make an escape. Unfortunately, her attempt only served to draw them closer in to her.

“Nonsense,” the gray pony began. “You look tired. Why don’t we find you a place that you can crash for a while? It just so happens that I have a place that may have some extra space for say… a few ponies.” He leaned in wearing a devilish grin and with a slow motion, he placed a hoof on her rump.

In her sudden shock, Twilight shut her eyes tight and jerked forward, bucking the air behind her as hard as she could, making contact with a wooden beam that cracked from the impact. Suddenly, the scaffolding that was above them buckled down, dropping paint cans, bricks, and tools all around her. Surprisingly, when she opened her eyes, the three ponies were covered in bruises and scratches as well as a fine coat of yellow and blue paint, but not a drop or scratch was on her.

“Oh you’re dead!” The once-gray unicorn shouted.

Twilight took the opportunity to dart off between them and make her daring escape. It was no use. They were much too fast for her to keep them off her tail. Her only option was to use her size to her advantage. Quickly, she cut across the street, ducking under the yoke of a passing cart. Her saddlebags were yanked from off her back, but she had no time to recover them.

One of the ponies tried to follow, but slipped up on the bags, falling under the wheel of the cart. All Twilight heard was a loud thump and a few gasps.

Having made a little bit of distance between her and her pursuers, she hastily made her way through the back alleys, trying to shake them off with a series of tight turns. As she rounded a corner, she was startled to find that the route cut off abruptly, leaving the only direction to go as up. She quickly ascended the ladder and galloped across a low rooftop accidentally tripping over a wooden beam. This had given the two ponies enough time to climb up the ladder and catch up to her. The beam, now balancing over the edge of the roof, suddenly dropped, bringing a rope that was tied to it along with it. The rope then wrapped itself around the brown stallion’s leg and yanked him off the building. Both Twilight and the gray stallion peered over the edge at the unconscious pony lying in a pile of broken boxes. After quickly eyeing each other, they continued the pursuit, hopping across narrow alleys and over obstacles.

Suddenly, Twilight’s back hoof got caught in a hole in one of the stone tiles. As she struggled to free her leg, the gray stallion slowly made his way towards her with an evil grin across his face.

“Oh you better pray to Luna that you make it through what I’m about to do to you,” he hissed.

With one final heave, Twilight was able to free her hoof, sending the horseshoe flying into the air, but it was already too late. The paint splattered stallion was breathing down on her as he reached over and grabbed her by her shoulders.

Suddenly, he held a hoof up over his head, blocking a falling horseshoe from knocking him unconscious. “Not this time! Nopony makes a fool out of me!” Twilight winced as he came down at her.

*Crack*

The sound of pottery crashing was the only thing that Twilight heard. Slowly, she opened her eyes to reveal that the pony was frozen in place with his eyes crossed. On top of his head was a single sunflower sitting in a pile of dirt. She looked up to see a ledge with a deep indention from where her horseshoe made contact. The stallion could only mutter a timid squeak before he fell to his side, unconscious.

After she collected her horseshoe and made her way down below, she was caught by a golden ray shining from down the alley that strangely reminded her of sunshine. As she went further to investigate, she found two bits lying on the ground, the golden sun insignia minted on the face. However, the light that came off it was coming from a slightly open fence. After picking up the bits with her tail, she pressed on to investigate the strange light further. As she peered through the crack in the gate, she noticed a bright sign from across a slightly bustling street. To her astonishment, the sign was directing her to the monorail station.

It wasn’t until she finally arrived at the station, and more specifically, the toll booth, that she remembered that she had lost spike’s bag as well as her own. “Oh no, I have no mone-,” she began, suddenly cutting herself off as she remembered the bits she picked up in the alleyway.

-----

Twilight leaned against the tiled column in relief as a soft smile spread across her face. “Princess Celestia, wherever you are... Thank you for looking out for me,” she thought.

As the monorail car approached, Twilight felt a sense of paranoia setting in. Every glance in her general direction was enough to make her jump. Twilight eyed every face she could find and carefully studied every pony whose face she couldn’t. Cautiously, she approached the open doors, scanning the windows for any wandering eyes. As she walked down the aisle, she nervously checked each seat to make sure no pony was hiding there to jump out at her. After she was satisfied with her inspection, she went over and picked a seat with as few ponies around as she could see. It’s not that Twilight’s previous experience hadn’t been overly traumatic, but it was her first experience with the monorail and it hadn’t left a good impression.

The ride to the next station was the longest ride of her life.

-----

As the car came to a stop, Twilight was the first to the exit, practically forcing the doors open faster than they would normally. “Finally! I can breathe!” She shouted, gasping for air as she stumbled to the platform. All around, ponies were pointing and laughing or just giving her odd looks. Suddenly realizing how much of a scene she was making, she nervously stood up and dusted herself off. “I’m… uh… claustrophobic,” she mumbled out to nopony in particular.

Everypony simply began to carry on with their business entering the cars or heading for the exit; all except for one young, light blue mare who continued to stare and even appeared to be carefully studying her from a distance. As soon as she noticed that Twilight was aware of her, she quickly turned to the side and hid her face behind her wavy dark blue and white mane. Twilight quickly tried to duck away behind the crowd. She wanted nothing more than to be in Canterlot Castle, the only familiar setting left for her in all of Canterlot.

As she passed the exit gate of the platform, she found herself in a large, elaborately designed room. Hanging from the ceiling were ornate chandeliers emblazoned with crystals that refracted the lights and flecked the walls with rainbow colored light. Each crystal, however, was strategically placed to avoid the light from refracting to the ground, potentially annoying commuters. The walls were lined with columns, each of which was ornately designed at the top and base with elaborate carvings in the marble. In the center of the room, there was a large clock plated with gold, its hands signifying that the time was 6:47. Underneath was a dial with two settings: AM and PM, the prior of which was marked. “I guess that means it’s pretty early in the morning.” Twilight scanned the signs that hung from the ceiling, finally coming across one that read Mane Street Exit. She hastily made her way to the large revolving door, excited to be able to get some fresh air. As she stepped outside, she was greeted to a much more pleasant sight than the one she had seen at the previous stop.

The streets and sidewalks were clean and properly lit. The ponies were sophisticated and surprisingly well mannered, which helped to put her at ease. Across the street, she could see a pony in a business suit helping a young mare pick up a bag that she dropped. Warm smiles were worn by passerbys and street vendors. But despite all of this, she still felt a tear roll down her cheek. All of the surroundings used to be rolling hills and humble cottages. To her left once stood a park where she used to get some outdoor reading done, but now it was replaced by an elegant dress shop. Farther down to her right was once a toy store where she got her Smarty Pants doll. Now it was replaced by an apartment complex.

As she continued down the street, she noticed that the buildings started to get shorter and the architecture appeared to be getting older the farther she went. Buildings made of steel and concrete faded into buildings made of cobblestone, and shortly after, made of wood and ivory. As she reached Royal Boulevard, to her enlightenment, she found that Spike might have under exaggerated when he said that it was the same from there on. Nothing had changed even the slightest, which shouldn’t have come as such a surprise to Twilight. The oldest part of rural Canterlot was a historic site, once home to many famous unicorns. As Twilight crossed the stone bridge, she could see her old home over the horizon; Canterlot Library, its ivory tower glistening in the moonlight.

It had been so long since she last came by; even longer now since this wasn’t even her time anymore. The Gala had been the last time she came to Canterlot, but the only time she spent outside of the Palace was Pony Joe’s. “It’s been far too long,” she thought.

After her long walk down memory lane, she finally came to the point in the road where it forked. In one direction, the road headed off down around the mountain and on to Fillydelphia many miles away. The other direction headed up the steep slope in a winding path all the way up to the marble gates of Canterlot Castle.

-----

“HALT!” Two guards called out in unison, flaring their wings in the presence of Twilight. “What is your name and business here?”

Twilight reared back in surprise. Last she remembered, the guards only stood at the gates for show, but apparently security measures had increased in her absence. “Oh, my name is Twilight Sparkle and, well I got a letter from the Princess that told me to come and see her,” she shyly tried to explain.

“Can you present said letter as proof?” One of the guards bellowed.

“Well, you see, I…” Twilight began as she nervously pat at the ground with her hoof. “Lost it…”

The guards, unflinching, took an intimidating step forward into Twilight’s personal space. “If you have no official proof of your business here, then you must return from whence you came,” he said as he puffed out his chest.

“Can you please just go let her know I’m here?” Twilight pleaded. “She said it was really important! It was about Princess Celestia and-”

Suddenly the guard stepped forward, bumping her back. “We do not take kindly to jokes. Consider this your last warning: Leave or else we will-”

“Twilight Sparkle!” A booming voice called out from behind the guards. Out from the darkness trotted Princess Luna. She had grown since her last visit to Ponyville, now standing as tall as Celestia once stood. Atop her flowing mane, a large black crown with a light blue gem encrusted in the center rested. “It is good to see you once again after all these years!” She beamed.

Twilight could tell that Princess Luna had adjusted well to the ways of the world in the fifteen years of her absence. Her dialect, while still professional and bold, was now modernized.

“Come quickly. We have much to discuss and so little time.” Luna said as she walked through the gates.

Twilight nervously passed the guards as they gave her a sneer.

Inside the palace, the decorum had changed drastically. The once vibrant white and gold decorations had been replaced by dark blue and black. The gold inlays and accents had been replaced by obsidian. Even the giant sun insignia on the floor was now a glowing moon. Twilight followed closely behind as Luna led her to the throne room, sealing the doors behind them.

“Twilight Sparkle, since you are here, I presume you received my gift?” She began.

“Gift?” She asked, confused. “What gift?”

“Why, the Fortune’s Favor enchantment I put on the letter. It was one of the last things Celly asked me to do for you. She said you would need it.” Luna gave Twilight a confused look. “Certainly you with all of your magical talent would have noticed it.”

“Wait so that means I can’t sense magic anymore either? Argh, I feel so blind.” Twilight quickly shifted the conversation out of frustration with her current physical state. “I’m sorry to change the subject, but what did you have to tell me?”

“Ah, yes… right.” Luna began. “I’m sure you have already been told, but Princess Celestia is gone.”

Twilight gave Luna a look of disgust at her bluntness.

“I’m sorry Twilight, but the time for formalities has passed. Please forgive my bluntness.” Luna continued on. “What I am about to tell you is part of a secret lost in time that only Celestia and I know. Celestia had trusted you enough to ask that I share with you this information. What I am about to share with you, you must not share with anyone. Do you understand?”

Twilight stood in awe at the amount of trust that Celestia had placed in her. “I understand. Please continue.”

Princess Luna gave her a quick nod. “As everypony now knows, Alicorns are not immortal. What they don’t know is that when Celestia died, she was exactly four thousand years old. Not one minute older or younger. This is because Alicorns, are only given that long to live when we are born. I too would be gone now if it weren’t for my timeless banishment on the moon, but I do know that in one thousand years, I too will face my own mortality.”

“That is all amazing, Princess, but why tell me?” Twilight asked. “What good does me knowing do for Equestria? What good does it do for Celestia? For me?”

“Alas, I do not know. Celestia told me that I must tell you, but that you must also find out the answer to your question on your own. She did, however, tell me that I am to grant you access to the Royal Archive.”

“The Royal Archive? But I’ve been there before. Not only that, but I’ve read all the books it has to offer. What more could I learn from going back there?”

“The real Royal Archive. Hidden away for millennia, this archive contains no books, but only a secret that Celestia wished to keep from the world. In fact, I am quite jealous, because you are actually going to be the first to see it.”

“Me?! The first?!” Twilight was more confused than ever. “You mean you haven’t been there before? But you’re a Princess! Can’t you grant yourself access?”

Luna held up a hoof to stop Twilight’s train of thought. “It is not a clearance issue that keeps me from what it holds inside. The truth is that I do not know where it is. Celestia made it a long time ago in secrecy, hidden away from me and everypony else. Before she died, however, she told me that all the answers for you lie in that archive. She said that everything would be alright, and that she had a plan.”

“But look around us!” Twilight shouted “It seems like it’s too late to fix anything! Wouldn’t it just be easier for everyone if you just help me get back to my time so I can ask her myself?”

Princess Luna quickly stamped her hooves down in annoyance. “Twilight, you have never doubted your teacher’s wisdom. All I ask is that trust her as much as she trusts you.” She had begun to tear up at her words. Only once before had Twilight seen an Alicorn cry, and that was during their thousand year reunion. Princess Luna was in pain, and up until now, she was doing a good job of hiding it. “Besides, I do not have the ability to send you back to your time.”

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to pressure you like that. If you need the book with the time spell in it, I still have it in my library. I can just go get-”

“It’s not that I don’t know the spell. I have both the power and the knowledge to send you back.”

“Then what is it? Why can’t you do it?” Twilight pleaded.

“Twilight, I am not like you or Celestia. My magic works differently than others. As far as I know, I am the only pony alive who is like this.” Luna looked up to the ceiling as if she was reminiscing the past. “You see, as most unicorns get their magic from the power of harmony, I get my magic from the power of chaos. It is how Celestia and I maintained balance for so long.”

“I… I don’t understand,” Twilight stuttered. “I thought Discord was the spirit of chaos.”

Luna snorted at the mere mention of that name. “Discord was a nothing more than a fool with a lot of power!” She bellowed as she stamped down against the tile, cracking it beneath her hoof.

Twilight reeled back. Obviously she had touched a sore subject, one she wisely chose not to press any further, judging by the fate of the tile beneath Luna’s hoof. “I’m sorry, Princess. I didn’t know. But just what does that mean for the spell? I mean, I’ve never even heard of anything like this before.”

“Spells like that time spell were designed for the average unicorn. I can use it too, but my procedure would be flipped.” Luna let out a big sigh. “You see, when you want to go to the future, you point your horn to the sun while performing the spell. Am I correct?”

Twilight quickly nodded.

“To put it simply, if I wanted to go to the future, I would point my horn to the moon.” Luna closely eyed Twilight as she waited for her to piece the rest together.

Twilight put a hoof to her chin in thought for only a brief moment before suddenly jerking her head up to meet Luna’s gaze. “Without the sun, you can’t go back in time! But then, how will I return? Celestia is the only one who could send me back and she’s gone!” She exclaimed, her tone quickly shifting to panic.

“Twilight, I only know of one pony in all of Equestria that has the power to send you back.” Luna proclaimed.

“Who?”

“Why, you of course. You had enough power to get yourself here.”

“But that was an accident! I lost control and that almost KILLED ME!” Twilight shouted. She quickly placed a hoof to her chest as she began to hyperventilate. “I can’t… even… perform any… magic anymore!” The feeling of claustrophobia began to set in as Twilight broke into a violent sweat. “I… I’m trapped! I can’t do this! I-”

Luna reached over to Twilight, placing her hoof on her shoulder. As she gazed down at Twilight, she sent a wave of energy down to her.

Twilight quickly regained her composure as a feeling of euphoria set in. It felt like she was floating in a viscous fluid; every motion was slow and flowing. Twilight gazed back up to Luna, first seeing a smile, and then her glowing eyes staring back at her.

“Twilight, in time, you will learn the extent of your power. You must stay strong, for the road ahead of you is filled with challenges that will test the very workings of your soul. The fate of Equestria rests on your shoulders.” As Luna released her hoof, the normality of the world began to return and her eyes returned to their normal state. “Now you must go, Twilight, for I have shared with you all I can.”

As Twilight gazed at Luna in her violet eyes, somehow she began to feel at ease. All she could feel when they stared at each other was warmth and the feeling that everything was going to be alright. “Princess Luna?” She called out as Luna turned to her throne. “Before I go, how will I know if I’m heading in the right direction or searching in the right area?”

Without turning around, Princess Luna dropped her head as she began to speak. “Twilight, I wish I could say something inspirational or heartwarming to you, but the truth is that I really don’t know. Celestia has faith in you, and I trust her with every fiber of my being.” She turned to look at Twilight. “I guess all I can say is just follow your heart.”

-----

Even though the castle grounds had remained unchanged, something about the way they looked in the darkness of Equestria’s perpetual night made the once happy, vibrant gardens look sad and sick. Twilight wandered the grounds, hoping that a riddle would fall into her head from the stars and lead her to her next goal, whatever that may be.

*Sigh* “I’m really honored, but maybe Celestia puts too much faith in me. I’m just one mare. How can I solve all of this.” Twilight looked all around at the snow covered grounds as she continued to walk. Suddenly, right before her, she witnessed a figure that she had never seen before. A larger-than-life marble statue of Princess Celestia stood at the entrance to the Sculpture Gardens. There she stood, tall and firm. Her stance was intimidating with her chest puffed out, but her face wore a gentle smile that was warm and welcoming. All around, she was laced with gold accents and accessories. It surely was a fitting statue for a god-princess.

Twilight made her way into the garden first passing a statue of three fillies playing . “Amia Sempiternus. Friendship… who would’ve guessed that would be my most powerful magic of all?”

When Twilight was a filly, her favorite place in all of Canterlot used to be the Sculpture Garden. She would sit for hours trying to find hidden riddles on the plaques even though most only had a sentence or two about their subject. But her favorite statue of all had to be Custos Scientia. Twilight found inspiration from the young mare, the symbol of knowledge. The delicate stone scroll that spiraled around her held riddle after riddle in many different languages, which Twilight would study for hours on end. But most perplexing about the sculpture, was the scroll that was rolled up in her arms. It had appeared to be detached from the sculpture and even had hinges on the stone flap. The statue, however, was very delicate and as such was forbidden to touch. Twilight couldn’t get close enough to see if the hinges were moving parts or just very meticulously designed. As an urban legend once told, Custos Scientia was actually protecting a hidden secret in the scroll, but that was just a bedtime story Twilight’s mother used to tell her as a filly.

Still, curiosity drove her to become attached to the statue. She had studied all the words on the scrolls; enough to be able to recite them by memory, but the biggest mystery and her biggest desire was to one day find out what the “Keeper of Knowledge” dutifully protected day and night for hundreds of years.

Twilight continued on in the garden, her mind at ease. The cold breeze, kept in control by magic, felt comforting on Twilight’s face. She no longer felt the heat coming off her horn; whether she had just become adjusted to the heat or that the worst of it was already over, she didn’t know. As she continued to walk, she viewed each statue, naming it as she passed by. “Amare Sagittarius… De Miles… Armina Victoria.” Twilight couldn’t figure out if Armina Victoria was the mare’s actual name, or was actually Latin for noble victory, or even both. Most of the statues were made in the pre-classical era though, so they often had Latin names for what they represented.

Finally, Twilight came to Custos Scientia. “It’s been a long time, old friend.” Twilight said as she stared into the mare’s eyes. Even in stone, they shone with the spark of responsibility she held to protect her secret. “Ever vigilant I see.” Twilight was about to get lost in the statue like she did so often as a filly, until she noticed a new statue right in front of the entrance to the royal hedge maze. “It can’t be,” she said as she walked closer to it.

The young mare in the sculpture was unlike any of the others. Her irises were colored with amethyst and her cutie mark was etched into the stone. Atop her straight-cut mane sat a golden crown with an emblem that matched her cutie mark: a magenta six-pointed star.

Twilight stood mouth agape as she read the golden plaque on its base.

“Twilight Sparkle - The Element of Magic

Lost in Time - Never Forgotten.

My most faithful student and best friend,

You have shown me that when in times of doubt,

The ones you love will be there for you to show you the way.

Thank you, for being the best part of my life. – Princess Celestia”

“This… this is me!” Twilight thought as dark purple streaks formed under her eyes.

“I knew I’d find you here.” A soft, young voice called out from behind Twilight.

She quickly wiped her cheeks as she turned to see a young, light blue mare with a wavy, dark blue and white streaked mane. She was at least a few years younger than Twilight.

The young mare moved in closer to Twilight as she noticed she had been crying. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt you,” she nervously said. “You are Twilight Sparkle, aren’t you?”

Twilight sniffled away her tears. “Yes, I am. How do you know me?”

“This is my favorite place in all of Canterlot,” she began. “I used to come here all the time with my parents when I was a filly.” She looked up at the statue of Twilight as she continued on. “My mother used to always tell me the legend of Twilight Sparkle, how she… uh… you defeated Nightmare Moon and Discord and saved Equestria twice. They were my favorite stories when I was a filly.” She looked back down at Twilight with a smile, her soft violet eyes sparkling with joy. “When I saw you at the monorail station, I knew right away that it was you. I wanted to meet you, but I lost you in the crowd.”

“I’m honored, truly, but how did you get into the castle anyway… um.” Twilight made a face as if to hint that she was looking for the right way to address the young mare.

“Oh! I’m so sorry! Where are my manners?” She chuckled nervously like a filly meeting her idol. “My name is Nova Shine, but you can just call me Nova. I run the observatory in the Castle.” She turned to show Twilight her cutie mark; seven stars arranged in the constellation of Ursa Minor.” She sheepishly turned her head to the side as she began to blush. “I guess you can say I’m your biggest fan.”

Twilight held out her hoof to shake hers. “Well it’s nice to meet you Nova.”

Nova quickly took her hoof and shook it violently, giggling the whole time. “I never thought I’d be so lucky to meet you. I had always thought you were gone.”

“It’s a long story, and I really wish I had the time to share,” Twilight began, slightly upset that she had to disappoint her fan. “But I’ve got very important things that I need to take care of.”

“That’s alright. I completely understand,” she said, only slightly dejectedly. “If you ever need my help with anything, you can usually find me in the observatory.”

“I’ll keep that in mind”

The young mare slowly started to backpedal to the gates of the Sculpture garden, looking back every few seconds to catch another glimpse of her idol.

As soon as she was out of sight, Twilight exhaled a long awaited breath of relief as she dropped her head. Quickly, she turned her attention back to the statue, carefully reading each line on her plaque. “The ones you love… show you the way. Maybe this is one of the clues. Not very subtle though if you ask me…”