• Published 30th Jun 2014
  • 3,789 Views, 191 Comments

Burnt Orange Juice - Mike the Red



"Why can't I cook anything without burning it? I can't even pour orange juice without it coming out burnt!"

  • ...
36
 191
 3,789

Comes Back Around

Our trot to Minuette's office took just five minutes -- I was a little surprised to find it so close to the hospital, but then again I guess I should have figured on such close proximity, given the profession. I mentally postulated that it would lead to increased business for the dentist. My reverie was interrupted by the door-chime as we entered, noticing a few ponies in the waiting area. Rarity trotted to the receptionist and motioned for me to approach. Sweetie took a seat on one of the benches provided for patients and others.

"Would it be possible for Minuette to see a patient immediately?" asked the fashionista. I fidgeted nervously, dreading the thought of sitting in the chair. Rarity turned toward me and flashed me a sympathetic smile. "Minuette's very good at dentistry -- you won't feel a thing at all, darling!"

"I'm sorry, Rarity, but the patient will have to wait her turn like everypony else," the mare at the desk stated in a practiced monotone. "What is her name?"

"Aurora Belle -- she's my sister's twin," the fashionista replied.

"She must be new here. Please fill out this form and return it when you're finished -- then she will have to wait her turn."

I trudged over to a couch to wait, though Rarity joined me as well. Sweetie joined us, though she seemed rather bored. Rarity was nice enough to fill out the paperwork for me as we waited for the dentist to call on me. My anxiety seemed to increase each time another patient either entered or left the office until I was the only one left. My knees started knocking together as Rarity tried to comfort me again.

"Aurora, darling, is this because you're afraid?"

"Um, yes, Miss Rarity, it is -- I've never liked going to any dentist's office," I replied as I shakily got to my hooves to trot towards the office just after the receptionist called my name.

"If you're that nervous, perhaps I should accompany you," she offered warmly, flashing me a genuine smile.

"I'm sorry, miss, but the patient is not allowed to have company in Minuette's presence," the receptionist stated flatly. This caused me to hang my head, my ears draped flat at the sides as I trotted more slowly. "Miss Aurora, please hurry -- Minuette does not wish to be kept waiting."

"Ah, you must be Aurora! Please, come with me!" Minuette offered cheerfully. She noted my mood immediately and tried to reassure me, trotting over to me and wrapping a foreleg around my withers. "Please, there's no need to fear -- I'm here to help you," she intoned warmly. I trotted with her to her office and was helped into the chair.

"Just relax, Aurora -- I promise not to hurt you," she stated. "Now, open wide -- I need to see what we're looking at here," she added as she reclined me further back. I opened my mouth dutifully, my eyes rolling to the back of my head. The peripheral view messed with my mind -- I could see the wall behind me, the floor -- and began closely examining the pattern of the tile used, even going so far as to notice where the tiles didn't touch all the way. My eyes drifted around further before my attention was brought back to Minuette's voice.

"Hmm, so you had a few teeth knocked out of your mouth -- hmm," she commented almost mechanically. I couldn't respond as my mouth was still wide open -- I felt her prodding around with a metal pick, more closely examining my remaining teeth. "How often do you brush? Your teeth are a mess," she noted with great disappointment. I felt a sweet and sticky paste-like substance being smeared on my teeth and into the space where my missing teeth had been. "Okay, just let that sit for about fifteen minutes -- please wait here, but try not to swallow that stuff," she stated warmly, but her tone implied a command. "Don't try to talk -- you may close your mouth until I return."

Gingerly, I closed my mouth, tasting a mix of saline and mint, letting it rest on my tongue and doing my best not to swallow the mix, The sensation of the gauze made my mouth feel funny, then I felt my tongue going numb. Presently Minuette returned, bearing a small metal tray in her magic aura. My eyes spotted a few dental tools -- my surprise manifested itself in the widening of my eyes, but the dentist tried to reassure me.

"Relax, Aurora, I'm not using those on your teeth -- they're for other patients. Here, let me remove the gauze," she offered warmly, taking it with her aura. I felt the tingling of her magic as she gently removed it, though her magic seemed to linger in my mouth a little longer. I felt something where my missing teeth had been. I ran my tongue along it, noting that it felt like my real teeth.

"What did you do?" I asked as I continued to slide my tongue against the seemingly odd structure.

"Those are implants -- that's only temporary until your teeth grow back," she replied. She helped me out of the chair and onto my hooves at this point.

"I thought they didn't -- I thought those were the only teeth I got," I mused, a touch of confusion in my voice. I trotted around to get some feeling back in my legs, which seemed to have fallen asleep while I was in the chair.

"What do you mean by that? Is there something about you I should know?" she inquired, giving me an almost accusatory glare. I shied back a little, intimidated by her looming presence.

"I don't know if you have time to listen to the full story, doc," I replied. "I suppose Twilight could give you a better explanation. Thanks for helping me." She smiled in response, striking a wistful pose as she seemed to muse about the librarian.

"Ah, well -- I've been meaning to catch up with her -- and I'll make sure to ask her about you when I do see her. Aurora, you're free to go now -- and as for helping you, it's no problem. I get cases like yours every once in awhile and it makes me feel good to help other ponies. Take care of those implants, now -- and be sure to brush at least three times a day!"

"Yes, Miss Minuette," I answered and saluted her, earning me a grin and a couple of giggles from the mare.

"Just take better care of yourself, Aurora. I'd like to hear your story some time."

"I'll be sure to do that when I come back, Miss Minuette -- but my story is long and you might need to clear your schedule for a few hours if you wanna hear all of it," I giggled in response before being shown the way back to the waiting room and meeting up with my "sisters."

"Looking forward to it, Aurora!" she chuckled and closed the door behind her. Rarity rose to meet me at this point.

"There, darling, that wasn't so bad was it?" she asked, a genuine smile gracing her features. I consciously ran my tongue over my new implants.

"Well -- I guess -- but it looks like I'm going to have to come back fairly soon," I replied.

"Oooh, did she give you some new teeth?" asked Sweetie Belle as she caught a glimpse of the implants.

"Um, these are implants -- they're temporary -- I guess new teeth will grow in some time," I answered before glancing around the waiting room. Minuette returned, casting a curious glance at us as there were no other ponies waiting for her service.

"My office is closed now, so if you'd be kind enough to leave so I may clean up a little?" the blue mare half-said, half-asked.

"Terribly sorry about that, darling, I had no idea. Aurora, Sweetie, let's go," Rarity sing-songed, leading the way to the exit. "I'm sure you'd both like some ice cream," she added, earning a stern glare from the dentist, though the fashionista's back was turned so she couldn't see Minuette's disapproval. I caught a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye and cantered a little more quickly, shivering ever so slightly.

"I don't think now's a good time for ice cream, Miss Rarity," I opined as we trotted toward the boutique. "I think I should wait for my implants to set before eating anything -- and I think it'd be even better if I stayed away from sugar for awhile."