• Published 2nd Jul 2014
  • 2,940 Views, 86 Comments

Odd One Out - NyxIsBestPony



When a Changeling Hatchling finds her way from the hive to Ponyville, she is met with fear at first, but soon a group of ponies take her in to care for her. Can they prove that she is different than the others, or will she be driven out due to fear?

  • ...
3
 86
 2,940

Gaining Way

CHAPTER THREE

Emerald woke up early, hoping to prove that she could help Rarity. She went into the kitchen and started to make breakfast. However, her magic was still very weak, as she was only a young nymph and the bowl she was trying to hold while making pancakes fell to the floor and shattered.


"Hmm...Hello?" Called a young voice from the other room. Emerald recognized the voice as the second voice from the night before.

That must be Sweetie Belle! she thought. Rarity had said that she didn't want Sweetie Belle to know she was here. Emerald frantically looked for a place to hide and dove beneath the table just as a white unicorn walked in.

"Rarity? Is that you?" the unicorn called out "I smell pancakes....Rarity?" the unicorn left the room and Emerald breathed a sigh of relief.


She crawled out from under the table and quickly cleaned up her mess. She set the table and headed back upstairs. She was turning into the doorway to Rarity's room and bumped right in Rarity as she was coming out.

"Oh!" Exclaimed Rarity "I didn't expect you to be up this early," the commented.

"I-I was just making breakfast." Emerald smiled sheepishly and added "I also was nearly caught by someone who I'm guessing was Sweetie Belle."

Rarity smiled. "That was very sweet of you to make breakfast, but you should be careful, I'm not entirely sure how anypony would react to having a Changeling around after that little," she paused "incident."

Emerald hung her head. "Yeah, Queen Chrysalis never thinks about other creatures. She thinks that Changelings should rule the world. I think she's wrong; I mean, ponies are nice too." She smiled at Rarity.


Rarity stared at the Changeling, once again startled by how she was so different than the ones they had encountered in Canterlot. "Well, I guess that's good," she said, not knowing what else to say. "Is that why you left, because you didn't like the way things were run?"

Emerald stared at her hooves. "Something like that," she murmured.

"Well, Sweetie Belle will be leaving for school soon, so stay in my room until she leaves, then you can go where ever you need to go."

Just as Rarity started to turn away Emerald cried "Please don't make me leave! I can't go back to the swarm, and I have nowhere else to go!"

Rarity sighed. "You can't stay here forever, but I guess a bit longer wouldn't hurt..."

"Oh thank you Rarity!" Emerald cut her off. "You won't be sorry! I'll help you with anything, really!"

Rarity smiled, but said "Okay, fine, just stay in my room for now, Sweetie Belle is looking for me."


Emerald went back into Rarity's room and waited for her to come back upstairs.

***

"I'm telling you, It was weird, there were pancakes on the stove, but Rarity had just woken up when she saw me out the door," Sweetie Belle said.

"Ah dun' know," Applebloom replied "Ya sure she wasn't up before ya came down?"

"Of course I'm sure!" Sweetie Belle was getting irritated.

"Oh, forget it! We'll talk more at recess, we better hurry, or else we'll be late for class!" Scootaloo exclaimed.


They all sat down at their desks and listened as Cherilee began talking about the projects that were due next week for Nightmare Night.

Author's Note:

I have finally finished another chapter! Major writers block. Hopefully I'll be on more now that I am never in school, lol It's no fun being sick, but at least I can have more time to write!