• Published 2nd Jul 2014
  • 2,935 Views, 86 Comments

Odd One Out - NyxIsBestPony



When a Changeling Hatchling finds her way from the hive to Ponyville, she is met with fear at first, but soon a group of ponies take her in to care for her. Can they prove that she is different than the others, or will she be driven out due to fear?

  • ...
3
 86
 2,935

And Then There Were Three

CHAPTER SIX

Emerald poked her head through the door and, seeing nopony, bolted upstairs. She came to a halt when she saw Rarity coming out of her room.

"I knew I shouldn't have trusted her!" she was muttering "Now she's probably gone off to tell her Changeling friends about how willing we are to let Changelings run amok!"

"Rarity... I..." Emerald started.

Rarity looked up. "I thought I said not to leave my room," she snapped.

Emerald tried not to cry "I'm sorry, I-I just wanted to see what the town looked like," she said "I didn't tell anyone, I promise!"


Rarity's gaze softened. "I'm sorry, I should have known you would get bored, Celestia knows Sweetie Belle could never stay in one place longer than a few seconds." she turned to Emerald "Did anypony see you?" she asked.

Emerald nodded. "There was this crazy pink pony, she talked really fast. She wanted to throw me a party. I don't think I want to go, she scares me," Emerald whimpered.

Rarity smiled. "That was my friend Pinkie Pie, trust her to be the first pony you meet when you go into town. She can be a bit overwhelming at times, but there's no reason you should be frightened of her."

Emerald brightened up. "If she's a friend of yours, then I guess she could be me friend, too," she said.

"That's very sweet of you, but I'd have to think you should be staying out of sight for a while, but then again, Pinkie Pie will be throwing a party for you and she would be devastated if the guest of honor didn't show up." Rarity frowned. "I suppose I could try to talk her out of throwing the party, but then, what would I tell her if she asked why?"


Emerald watched as Rarity began to pace.

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt, she may be talkative, but she is the best at keeping secrets," Rarity continued to talk to no one in particular. She stopped pacing and headed towards the door. "I'll be back in a bit, stay in my room!" she called back to Emerald.

***

"Morph!" Chrysalis called to one of her scouts. "Have you seen any sign of the missing nymph?" she asked.

"No, Your Highness," the Changeling replied. "We are sending out patrols to search the area outside the hive."

Chrysalis glared at him. "Why would you waste patrols on searching for one nymph?" she demanded.

"But, I thought you said you wanted the nymph found," Morph replied.

"If the nymph has left the hive, don't bother," Chrysalis ordered "We have better things to do than search for one nymph. Now, if the whole nursery was missing, then that would be worth our time."

Morph bowed and responded "As you wish, my Queen."

***

Rarity entered the boutique with Pinkie Pie bouncing behind her.

"Now why can't I throw a party for the new pony?" Pinkie Pie asked.

Rarity sighed. "I told you Pinkie, Emerald is.... different."


Emerald peeked into the room and giggled. She watched as Pinkie pie went around the room, looking under various objects, including Opal, who hissed in distaste.

"Where is she? Is she hiding?" Pinkie asked, as she looked under one of the manikins.

Emerald slowly entered the room and Pinkie looked up.

"Changeling!" she screamed and pulled a cannon out of nowhere.

Emerald squeaked and ducked back into the other room, then saw confetti and streamers all over the floor. She peeked back into the room and saw Rarity talking to Pinkie Pie.

"Relax Pinkie!" she said "That was Emerald. I know she's a Changeling, but she is different than the ones in Canterlot, I promise."

Pinkie Pie looked at her. "Pinkie Promise," she said.


Rarity sighed. "Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye," she said, while going through the motions.

Pinkie was satisfied. "Okie, dokie, lokie," she said.

"Now Pinkie Pie," Rarity said "I need you to Pinkie Promise not to tell anypony about Emerald, I'd hate for her to be treated like a menace when she's not."


Pinkie Pie grinned. "Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!" at the last part she actually stuck her hoof in her eye.

Emerald winced. That had to hurt. she thought.

Author's Note:

Three chapters in one day! That's a record! I'd like to thank tsaukpaetra for the idea of having the Swarm be looking for Emerald, also for the idea of being seen, and the idea of a Pinkie Promise! It helped a lot!

Comments ( 12 )

Too short
Too good
I demand more cuteness
If you don't mind :twilightblush:

Wait, that wasn't our idea! We were just reading the plot potentials from the ether Future Predictions in the high.... you know what? I guess we'll just have to accept credit, it's too much effort to sufficiently explain.... :twilightsheepish:

I think I am gonna fav this:pinkiesmile:

I'm not normally one to go for such short chapters, but this has some potential

Emie shal be her nickname well in my opinion ............give more juice goodness

Your prose is a tad weak, a bit bare, but it's functional. You want more detail in just about everything, but the actual progression of the story is laid out fairly well. A good start.

lol love it.. you on a writer block?

5260915 When is the next chapter coming? Want to read more!.

More, please! This is very engaging and adorable.

7961801 Probably never. It's been well over a year since the author last logged in, which means they've most likely left the fandom, or at least the site. This story is officially abandoned at this point.

Login or register to comment