• Published 14th Jun 2014
  • 3,440 Views, 138 Comments

Kingdom of Friendship - SkyFlare



Twilight Sparkle fights the Heartless in an attempt to save her friends and Equestria as a whole. She meets new friends and even an old enemy and learns of the existence of a whole other universe.

  • ...
10
 138
 3,440

Chapter 3 - Trapped

“She’s waking up!” shouted the colt from earlier as Twilight fluttered her eyes open.

“Did you finish bandaging her up, Note?” Valley called back.

“Yes sir!” the colt called back.

“So your name is Note, huh?” Twilight smiled kindly.

“Tempo Note, actually.” the colt finally spoke to her willingly. “You were hurt really bad, but don’t worry, I patched you up good.”

“Thank you Tempo Note. I’m feeling much better.” Twilight smiled lightly.

“Note! Twilight Sparkle! I found something!” Valley shouted from the balcony above the two.

Twilight tried to stand back up, but couldn’t get her hoofing. Note caught her and helped her get her balance. The two of them moved toward the stairs and met Valley at their base.

“I found it!” he shouted, a glimmer of hope sparking in his eyes.

“How to stop the Heartless?” Twilight asked groggily.

“Yes. A weapon called the Keyblade is the only thing that can permanently kill them by harvesting their hearts.” Valley said excitedly. “The only problem is that I can’t seem to find out how to get a Keyblade.”

“I have one.” Twilight stated, trying to summon it without success.

“Can I see it?” Valley asked back.

“I’m trying to summon it, but it’s not coming.” Twilight tried to think back to when she summoned it while being attacked by the Heartless. She couldn’t think of a difference between then and earlier. “Maybe I can show you against a Heartless…”

“There’s no point in risking your life just to show us what you can do.” Valley said, trying to talk her down.

“I know that I can summon it though, but I’ve only ever done it in a fight. I need to figure out how I did it before.” Twilight stated as she limped toward the door.

“Stop!” Note cried out.

“I’ll be fine. Trust me.” Twilight said calmly.

Right before she reached the door, there was a loud knocking at it and she hesitated. She could only think of one group that would knock on the door. Luna’s guards were after her, and they had come here.

The large double doors suddenly burst apart, revealing a Heartless that was much larger than the others that she had seen before, almost the size of the one from her dream that resembled her. It stood on two legs and resembled one of the older dragons that had been extinct for a long time. A drake that was more likely than not, as tall as a fully grown would have been. The difference between this one and the others were that they were extinct and this one was a Heartless that had taken that form.

“Stay back!” Twilight shouted.

The Keyblade appeared before her, and she realized that it was anytime that she fought for others, or wanted to help that she was able to summon it.

Twilight shot a burst a magic at the Heartless, knocking it backwards slightly. She had to protect Note and Valley. According to Valley, the only thing that could kill a Heartless is the Keyblade, and she was the only one there that could use it.

Twilight threw the Keyblade into the Heartless with her magic, cutting into its chest slightly. It let out a terrible roar of pain before launching a blast of fire from its mouth at her. She created a shield from her magic to stop the breath, before teleporting behind the Heartless and calling her Keyblade back to her. Before the Heartless knew what had happened, the Keyblade was sticking in one side and out the other.

The explosion of energy as the Heartless died launched Twilight backwards. A large heart was released from the monster. Twilight walked back up to where the Heartless had stood only seconds earlier. It became clear to her in that moment that if she could just focus on fighting those creatures, she could win.

“So that was a Keyblade…” Valley said to himself.

“Come on, I’m going to get you two to safety.” Twilight waved a hoof at the two ponies who stood in the library doorway.

Mist Valley lifted Note onto his back and carried him toward Twilight. “We’ve no time to waste then. Thank you my dear.”

Valley had always written in an extremely formal tone, and Twilight couldn’t help but notice a similarity between the way he wrote and the way he spoke. She thought that maybe that was what drew her to his writings as opposed to other geographers. Regardless, outside of his books, he was a kind pony who seemed to care more for the well-being of ponies other than himself. So many ponies could learn something from him about selflessness.

Twilight and Valley galloped down the street, and they both kept an eye out for the Heartless. Upon one’s appearance, Twilight would kill it on sight or Valley would warn Twilight. Other than this occasional warning, their trip was completely devoid of speech.

They soon found themselves on the edge of the area in which the princesses still maintained their control. There was a pair of guards standing at one of the few entrances. Twilight nodded to Valley and he galloped over to them while she remained out of sight. Once she was sure that they were safe, she turned away and started on her way out of the city. She used her teleportation spells to travel great distances in the city in a matter of seconds.

The lavender unicorn soon found herself at the edge of the city, looking down at the mountain the city was built on. Any other time, it would be a beautiful sight, but now then. It was nearly pitch black, like a starless night. The only light came from the red center of the dark orb floating in the sky.

She needed to get higher so that she could investigate that stupid sphere. It was doing something to the sun, it served some sort of alternate purpose though. She just didn’t know what it was.

“Oh, Spikey Wikey, wake up.” Rarity shook the baby dragon slightly with her magic.

“Huh…” Spike groan, rubbing his head with a claw. “What happened? Where are we?”

“It’s dreadful!” Rarity cried out. “Those ruffians took me from my boutique! I was having my dear Sweetie Belle help me make a new dress.”

Spike looked around at their surroundings. He was in a dark room with Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash. Each one of them was chained to a wall by some kind of powerful magic.

“Oh… what happened to my Sweetie Belle?” Rarity cried out, having finally had her eyes adjust to the lack of lighting to see that her sister wasn’t in the room.

“Apple Bloom! Are ya in here?” Applejack yelled, trying to get a response from her sister.

“Scoots!” Rainbow shouted.

“They’re fine.” Spike said quietly. “They came to the library. I’m sure that Twilight found them.”

“They made it to the library?” Rainbow shouted back.

“Yeah. Twilight probably did something to keep them safe.” Spike answered.

“Twilight was there when I was grabbed.” Fluttershy muttered, barely loud enough to be heard.

“Did she get taken too?” Spike gasped back.

“I don’t know. If she was, it was after me.” Fluttershy was nearly crying.

“Relax. It’s Twi we’re talkin’ about here. Ah’m sure that she’s fine.” Applejack said, comforting the two.

“Need… to… get…” Pinkie grunted, stretching out.

“Get what, darling?” Rarity asked.

“Party Cannon!” Pinkie screamed.

“I don’t think that it’s going to be in here.” Rainbow replied. “Try something that’ll get us out of the darn hole.”

“Ask politely…” whispered a voice from the center of the room.

“Who’s there?” Applejack and Rainbow yelled together.

“Just a friend. Now, let me do for you what any ‘good’ friend would do.”

The magical shackles that had been holding them in place shattered and they fell to the ground. It was a dirt floor that was slightly damp.

“Now, leave. I’ll buy you some time.”

Spike managed to catch a glimpse at the figure as he slipped through a crack in the wall. It was Discord. He hadn’t been seen much since his reformation at the hooves of Fluttershy. But Spike was practically convinced at that point. Discord had saved them and was going to give them a chance to escape.

“How’re we going to get out of here though?” Pinkie yelled.

“I can try to dig us a path.” Spike suggested.

“Through the dirt?” Rarity half screamed in terror at the thought.

“Sorry Sugarcube, but it’s either that er stayin’ here and waitin’ for them ta come back fer ya.” Applejack stated bluntly.

Spike turned to the wall and started to scratch away at the stone walls. The pebbles dropped toward the stone floors, breaking the silence that had swept over the room after Applejack’s latest comment. Applejack was right though, they couldn’t just stay there; they needed to get out. They needed to get back to Ponyville.

“You’re quite a noisy dragon.” a dark voice commented from the other side of the wooden door. “An escape plan like that would never work; it’s hopeless for any of you to even try.”

The voice was a soft female voice, cold and distant. She didn’t seem to have any emotions, and if she did, then she hid them well.

“What happened to Discord?” Fluttershy shouted at the door, an influx of courage flaring inside of her.

“That fool? He’s being dealt with. The Heartless will see to that.” the mare laughed back heartily.

“I doubt that!” Spike called back. “Discord is a match even for the princess. There’s no way whatever the Heartless are can beat him.”

“Are you referring to the fallen princess? Or are you speaking of the one who has grown so paranoid from fear over her sister’s defeat that she has locked herself away, abandoning those who need her guidance most?” the voice was more serious now.

“That’s a lie!” Applejack shouted angrily.

“Is it? Honest Applejack?”

“Don’t listen to her; she’s just trying to make us mad.” Rainbow Dash stated, struggling to follow her own advice.

“Rainbow Dash, what a logical decision for a rash pony such as yourself. However, I doubt that you can follow through.”

Dash grunted in frustration, scratching her hoof across the ground, fighting her urge to attack the pony on the other side of the door.

“Spike, I have a question for you.” the voice said calmly, turning its attention to the young dragon. “Twilight Sparkle enjoys libraries, correct?”

Spike didn’t answer. If his hunch was right, she already knew everything about every one of his friends. He would try to avoid speaking back in hopes of making her leave.

“That’s what I thought. When she comes here, don’t you think that she would like to feel comfortable? We have quite the library here, but it is misshapen and could use some fixing up. Would you like that task?”

“No! You’re not going to take Twilight! She’ll win… she always wins.” Spike finished his statement quietly, fighting back tears.

“What if I promised to release one of your friends each day that you work for me? Of course, I would be the one to choose who is freed, but in five days, it doesn’t really matter since you’ll have saved them all.”

“What about him?” Applejack shouted.

“He’ll be staying with me. Any other senseless questions from the peanut gallery?” she asked back smugly.

“Don’t do it Spike.” Rainbow put a hoof on the dragon’s shoulder. “We’ll find a way out together, all six of us.”

“But what if we don’t? I can’t take that chance.” Spike quietly wiped away the tears that were now streaming down his scaled face. “I’ll do it. But promise me that nopony will hurt them!”

“No harm will come to them as long as you work for me.” the mare assured him.

“All right. You… have a deal.” Spike hesitated slightly as he approached the door.

A light blue magic gripped the door and slowly opened it, just wide enough for Spike to step through. Upon leaving the room, the door quickly shut behind him, separating him from his pony friends.

“Where’s that library?” Spike asked, his head drooping perpetually downward.

“Right this way.” the mare said.

Just then, Spike was struck with an idea. This was his chance to see their captor. He glanced up at the mare and saw that she was wrapped loosely in a brown cloak. Under the hood of the cloak, he could make out a pair of green eyes. Unable to make out any farther details, he started to follow the mysterious mare.

“So… will I be alone?” Spike asked. He’d gotten used to Owlowiscious helping him out in Golden Oaks.

“No. There will be one more in there. It would be best to not get on his bad side though. He is much more ferocious than you.” the mare said this in an ominous tone.

“Who are you anyway? Do I get to know the name of my boss?” Spike asked with an attitude that had rubbed off on him from Twilight.

“You,” she sighed, “may call me Vim.”

“How far away is the library from here?” Spike asked as they reached a spiral staircase.

“Shut up!” Vim shouted. “You’re giving me a headache! I may just go ahead and kill you now! Then who will be working to keep your other worthless friends alive?”

Spike froze mid-step. He was so scared that he couldn’t bring himself to move. Vim had a short temper just then, but she had been so calm with the others. What was different? Spike eventually found himself able to walk again and he scampered back up to Vim as she reached the top of the stairs.

The dragon whelp shook violently as they reached the large doors with stained glass windows. The windows showed images of ponies reading. It had to be the library, where he would undoubtedly be spending the next five days, at least. If he was lucky, once the others were free, they’d find a way to break him out of there. He couldn’t bear for that to be the last time he’d see any of them, especially Rarity.

The large doors were parted by the same kind of magic that had let Spike out of the cell where he and the others were. There was no doubt, it was coming from Vim. He could see a glow from her eyes and a faint light glowing through the hood, probably coming from her horn.

Vim violently waved a hoof at the door, signaling for Spike to go inside. Without a word, Spike walked into the room, not wanting to chance making her mad again.

The library was the largest he had ever seen, even larger than the Canterlot Library. He didn’t even know where to start with a library that large. He walked to the nearest section of the library and looked at the shelf. It was labeled “Fiction.” The young dragon ran his eyes across the titles of the books that lined the shelf. Most of them, he’d never even heard of, but they sounded fictitious to him.

“Who are you?” growled a voice from behind Spike.

Spike flung around, terrified to see the monster that had just growled at him. Instead, he was met with a pair of red dots, surrounded by black voids. They were the eyes of another dragon, not any larger than Spike was. His scales were nearly black and he had a pair of wings growing from his back.

“I- I’m Spike.” Spike managed to stutter out. Everything about that place was proving terrifying.

“Spike huh? My name is Blade.” the other dragon snarled back, flashing his sharpened fangs at Spike. “Vim didn’t say that I’d be getting such a small meal today.”

“Wha- what do you mean?” Spike whined as he stumbled backwards, trying to put distance between himself and Blade.

“I mean, usually she brings me a griffon. Not some bite sized snack like you.” Blade smiled widely.

Spike turned and ran from the other dragon. Blade didn’t look like he could eat a griffon, but Spike wasn’t willing to take that chance.

“Blade!” boomed Vim’s echoing voice through the entire library. “That dragon is to help you set up the library for the ‘special guest’ that I told you about.”

“I understand.” Blade growled back. “Spike, go to the history section. Organize it by date and year of print. If multiple books have the same date and print, then go by the author’s last name. Got it?”

“Yes!” Spike yelped back, running to search for the history books.

At least Vim was kind enough to warn him about Blade, albeit somewhat obscurely. She was a strange pony, Spike thought as he reached a section of the library that was filled with books titled “The History of…”

The dragon began to pull the books off the shelves and organize them on the floor, one shelf at a time, just like he did back home. All that his tasks did for him was make him worry about how Twilight was. There was no doubt that she was aware that all of her friends were gone. She’d almost definitely gotten that letter that he had received from Princess Celestia. Hopefully she was remembering what Princess Cadence had told her, that breathing exercise to keep calm.

Spike could feel the tears welling up inside of him again. Knowing Twilight, she was probably panicking, coming up with insane ideas to get them back. She wouldn’t be thinking straight and she would need someone by her side. Even before she moved to Ponyville, she’d always had someone. Before Celestia’s School, she had her mother, her father, and her brother. While at school, she had him. Once she moved to Ponyville though, she made so many friends with ponies that she trusted. Right now, for all he knew she was on her own.

“Twilight needs me. I’ve got to find a way to break everypony out of here.” Spike whispered to himself.

“Too bad you won’t find that way.” Blade said quietly, using his wings to silently hover over Spike’s head.

“We’ll see.” Spike shook his head, going back to the books.

“Vim will make sure of that, and if she is unable, than He will ensure that if you manage to escape, then each and every friend that you are risking your life for will die. Twilight Sparkle included.”

“Don’t you dare threaten her.” Spike growled, clenching his claws tightly.

“So I’m presuming that you think that you can stop me?” Blade ran his tongue across his fangs. “I may just get to eat you yet.”

Blade launched his slender body downward at Spike who braced his arms in front of him in an attempt to block his attacker.

The room was engulfed in a blinding flash of light and Blade was on the ground with his eyes shut softly. It took Spike a moment to realize that they weren’t closed to block out the light, but because he was unconscious.

“I thought I felt something in my claw…” Spike muttered to himself. “What was it?”

Spike ran for the door, trying to recall the path that Vim had used to lead him to that library. He now knew more of the plan, and it was pretty obvious to him that Twilight was their “Special Guest” that they were waiting for. He was going to get everypony out of there and warn Twilight to stay away from…

“Where are we anyway?” Spike groaned as he reached the spiral stairs.

Author's Note:

Yay! Chapter 3 is out and... yeah. Now I wait for Wednesday, seems like that's all I do is wait nowadays. Is Waiting Magic?