• Published 14th Jun 2014
  • 3,438 Views, 138 Comments

Kingdom of Friendship - SkyFlare



Twilight Sparkle fights the Heartless in an attempt to save her friends and Equestria as a whole. She meets new friends and even an old enemy and learns of the existence of a whole other universe.

  • ...
10
 138
 3,438

Chapter 13 - Twilight

Twilight stepped off of the train that had taken her back to Ponyville. She was in for a long walk, but it was nothing that she couldn’t handle, her true challenge waited for her in the Castle of the Two Sisters. King Sombra was undoubtedly planning some sort of trap or something that would get her to let her guard up. She would have to make sure not to let that happen.

As Twilight walked through the town, she kept getting the feeling that she was being followed, but she was never able to see anypony behind her, not one that shouldn’t have been there at least. She saw the mail mare delivering messages to the various homes in the town. Ponies stood at booths, selling everything from carrots to gems to books. If it were any other day, Twilight would have stopped by to check out the book booth, but it wasn’t any other day.

The ponies of Ponyville seemed to have returned to their daily lives. It was a relaxing sight, but Twilight couldn’t afford to slow her pace or get distracted by conversations. It felt like her first time in the town, when she intended to do her job with as little interaction with other living things as possible. Instead of overseeing the Summer Sun Celebration though, she was going to a fight that would decide the fate of all of Equestria.

A number of times on the way, she was spoken to by some pony or another. With each of these attempts at conversation, she always replied with a, “Sorry, I can’t talk right now,” or a, “I’m a little busy, sorry.”

When the unicorn finally reached the edge of the Everfree Forest, she craned her neck backwards and looked at her saddlebags. Inside of them were the five key chains that were accumulated during her journey so far. Each of them held some significance to her.

The Dawn Star was the first Keyblade that Twilight ever got. It came to her after Fluttershy was taken. The Griffon’s Wing… It was given to her by South Wind when they first met. It was the only thing that she had left to remember him since his death. Crystal Light, a Keyblade that Sombra was intending to use to make her return to his side, but his plan backfired. She still couldn’t summon it a second time, but it was a reminder that she had beaten him in one fight and that she could do it again. Finally, Harmonious Retribution and Shattered Reality. One came from all of her friends and the other, from an enemy turned friend. They represented some of the most powerful forces in existence, Harmony, the balance of everything, and Discord, the complete lack of balance.

“I can do this…” Twilight told herself. She kept chanting these words as she began her march through the Everfree Forest.

During this march, she encountered timberwolves, manticore, and even a hydra. None of these beasts bothered her though. In fact they seemed to be guarding her path, as if they knew what was happening. They looked at her, sorrow in their eyes; as if they knew that she was their only hope. Nothing like this had ever happened, at least not in any history books that the librarian had read. Most of these creatures would sooner eat her than watch over her, but that’s precisely what they were doing.

Twilight still had that feeling that she was being followed, but she felt like if something were to try and attack her, these monstrous creatures would protect her. That seemed to be their one and only intention at the moment. There were a few causes for Twilight’s paranoia though, the first and most important being the constant breaking of twigs behind her and the shadows moving just out of sight. Twilight assumed this to be a Heartless escort, under orders from Sombra to see to her arrival in a timely manner.

When the castle finally came into sight, Twilight noted certain things about it. Namely the appearance of newer walls and a stronger support system. Sombra had done some work to the castle to make it at least somewhat inhabitable. She could faintly make out a figure on the roof. One of the flying Heartless, Twilight had once heard Sombra refer to it as a Wyvern.

“Pinkie, what in the hay are ya doin’ Sugarcube?” Applejack asked the pink earth pony.

They were alone in the throne room of Canterlot Castle and Pinkie was hanging from the ceiling, swinging on a colorful cord. Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity had gone out to help prepare some defenses alongside Shining Armor and Princess Luna.

“Decorating for the party, duh!” Pinkie giggled like what she had said was common knowledge to everypony in Equestria.

“And exactly what party is that?” Applejack asked back.

“The ‘Thank you for Saving Equestria Party’ that we’re going to throw for Twilight when she gets back.” Pinkie dropped to the floor, leaving the long red ribbon dangling from the ceiling.

“That would be nice, somethin’ to help us get back to the norm.” the orange pony nodded back.

“Great, then how about you aim this cannon over here and fire.” Pinkie shoved a party cannon at her cowpony friend.

Applejack nodded, grabbing hold of the cannon and aiming it in the direction that Pinkie was pointing toward and she fired a single shot. Confetti and streamers flew through the air, practically decorating half of the room at once.

Despite the festive surroundings, there was a solemn air about the room. Both of the ponies were worried for their friend who was going to be alone in an effort to save them all. They weren’t capable of doing anything to prevent a Heartless attack like the others and so they stayed behind in the castle to keep Princess Celestia company. She’d just recently gone to sleep and the two earth ponies stepped out into the throne room.

“Um, Rainbow Dash?” Fluttershy floated next to the rainbow maned pegasus. “Is this good enough?”

“Yes Fluttershy…” Rainbow Dash grunted back. “You don’t have to ask me every time that you break a cloud if it’s good enough.”

“Sorry…” Fluttershy whispered back, retreating once again to break up another cloud.

She looked down and saw Rarity standing next to Shining Armor and Princess Luna. Their horns were glowing as they crafted a shield from their magic. Rarity seemed to be having the most trouble; however, this was fairly far out of her comfort zone. She never did much more than levitating a few dozen parts for outfits she made. A shield was something that she’d never even attempted before; it was the sort of thing that was usually left to Twilight.

“You’re doing great Rarity. Just keep up the good work and the shield will be able to maintain itself for another day or so.” Shining complimented the young mare.

“Thank you, but I know that I’m not doing nearly as much as you or the princess.” Rarity shook her head, unable to take the compliment that she didn’t feel she deserved.

“This is a very high level spell. The fact that you’re doing as much as you are is a feat in and of itself.” Shining smiled back.

“Now might not be the best time for this conversation. We have some company on the other side.” Luna aimed a hoof ahead of the ponies.

A large group of Heartless was beginning to accumulate on the other side of the shield. A sea of darkness seemed to move with the wind like a wilted tree. Yellow lights blinked throughout the darkness, staring at the ponies.

“Oh dear!” Rarity gasped.

“Don’t worry. As long as we keep this shield up for another ten minutes, they can’t get in.” Shining said, not only trying to keep Rarity calm, but also himself. Twilight was doing her part; the least that he could do was this, if not go after her and try to help.

The Heartless pressed their bodies up against the glowing shield that the three magical ponies created. Small ripples were created as the Heartless’ bodies crashed against the barrier. Regardless of the forces unleashed against it, it held up to the test.

Spike felt a tingling sensation as he vanished from the dungeon and reappeared at the foot of Sombra’s throne. The dragon clawed at the floor, trying to distance himself from Sombra.

“Do you want to know a secret?” Sombra asked. “Twilight has been spending her time in Canterlot with Princess Celestia.”

“No…” Spike muttered, remembering the last time that he’d seen Twilight. She was working with Sombra, she wouldn’t even speak to the baby dragon. Sombra had said that she was supposed to be killing Celestia.

“I’ve recently been diagnosed with something. It turns out that I am a chronic liar. The Twilight that you saw with me a couple of days ago was an illusion. I just needed to keep you in line, keep you as bait to lure her here, and now she’s home.” Sombra pulled Spike back to him with his magic.

“I…” Spike couldn’t find the strength to speak. He had spent too much time with untreated wounds in damp and dirty dungeon. “I won’t… let you…”

“Won’t let me what? Take back what is rightfully mine?” Sombra smirked.

“She isn’t… yours…” Spike grunted.

“You sound a great deal like Vim’s old dragon did. But in the end, he followed her until he breathed his last.” Sombra laughed. “I wonder if you’ll do the same…”

“There won’t be an opportunity to put that question to the test.” A third voice entered the conversation.

“Ah, you’ve finally arrive. I’ve been waiting for you to come back to me.” Sombra’s eyes shifted from the dragon to the purple unicorn.

“I’m not coming back for you. I’m coming back for Spike, so give him back to me and I’ll let you go free.” Twilight said before running over to the baby dragon’s side.

“Twi… it’s a trap…” Spike gasped out.

“I know it is, Spike. But I need for you to be safe, if you aren’t…” Twilight winced, “I don’t know what I’d do.”

“How touching. Like a mother and her child, albeit a surrogate mother, but still, it’s touching.” Sombra laughed.

“I’m not warning you again. Leave this place, or I will not let you out of here in as pleasant a condition as you entered.” Twilight lifted Spike onto her back using her magic.

“I can feel your hatred for me; it is rivaled only by your love for him. What would you do if he were to be out of your life forever?” Sombra asked, stepping down from his throne.

“Don’t you dare!” Twilight shouted as she saw the king’s horn light up.

“Oh, I dare…” without another warning a large blast of dark magic swept Spike off of Twilight, slamming him to a wall. There was a crunching sound as his bones shattered.

Twilight turned and galloped to his side. She felt for a pulse but there was nothing. Tears streamed from her eyes as she fell to the ground by his side.

“Why so sad? You’ll be reunited with him in a second.”

Another large blast of magic launched at the unicorn, but it never made contact. Instead a charred body fell from it, crashing into the ground. It was Vim.

“Go now… avenge… our dragons…” Vim whispered through a cracked voice. Seconds later, her eyes went blank and the life had left her body.

“I’ll…” Twilight’s mane started to flow up and away from the ground. “I’ll kill you!!” she yelled, charging at the grey stallion.

Two Keyblades formed by her side. A long Keyblade that looked like shattered pieces of stained glass melted back together in a jagged mess. The other Keyblade looked like pure white vines coiled around a line formed by the image of each of the gems that made the Elements of Harmony, loyalty, laughter, generosity, kindness, honesty, and magic in that order. At the head of the Keyblade was half of the sun and half of the moon merged together.

“Do you think that those pieces of garbage will increase your chances of beating me?” Sombra laughed, summoning the Keyblade that unlocks hearts, the Heartless Keyblade.

Twilight’s eyes lit up solid white as Spike’s Keyblade formed at her side.

“That’s not possible! Two Keyblades is nearly unheard of, but three?” Sombra stumbled backwards in shock.

The Keyblades clashed and Sombra was forced backwards. Sombra was unable to match the sheer force of Twilight’s onslaught. She lifted her Keyblades from his and began a beating his down with a rapid succession of attacks.

“That Keyblade… the Elements of Harmony.” Sombra laughed as he dropped his Keyblade to the floor and teleported out of Twilight’s reach.

Twilight froze for a moment as she witnessed a dark smoke rising from the cracks in the stone floor. The smoke enveloped both Twilight and Sombra simultaneously. She couldn’t see, she couldn’t breathe, and she couldn’t move. She felt the smoke go inside of her body, filling her with a strange power.

“I can feel her hatred flowing through my body!” Sombra shouted. “Nightmare Moon, thank you!”

“Not hatred.” Twilight whispered to herself. That wasn’t what she felt. What she felt was sadness, regret, and loss.

“Can you feel her? She is bringing you closer to your destiny. To being my queen. Let that hatred rule your heart.” Sombra commanded.

“It isn’t her hatred. It’s her sadness at not being as loved. It’s her regret for her actions at fighting her sister. It’s the loss that she felt when she was sent away for a millennium.” Twilight explained.

A sharp pain started in Twilight’s eye, like it was being stabbed. A dark mist came out, not like what happened when she used dark magic though. It was darkness, but it was closer to the light. She could control it, use it to her advantage. Sombra was accessing pure hatred, something that blinded anyone who felt it.

Twilight was forced back and was slammed to the ground as Sombra tested his new powers. She was pinned to the same wall that had a red stain on it from where Spike hit it. The smoke coming from Twilight’s eyes flared as she used levitation magic on herself and lifted her body away from the wall. The three Keyblades returned to her, but it wasn’t going to be enough, not with that power boost that Sombra had received.

Without putting any thought to it, both the Dawn Star and the Griffon’s Wing appeared at her side in addition to her other three Keyblades. Using her expert magic skills, she would easily be able to maintain effective control over the weapons. It was just like levitating books, except not at all similar.

“You still resist me, even after that small display?” Sombra asked, his voice once again calmed.

Twilight felt the anger in her chest quell. Spike wouldn’t want to see her like this, especially not for revenge. A surge of emotions sank into Twilight’s heart. All of those feelings that pushed Luna to become Nightmare Moon. The young unicorn mare feared the worst, that she might undergo some transformation like Luna had.

As her gaze shifted to Sombra, she noticed that her fears were coming to fruition. Sombra was growing in size; he was tall enough to rival Celestia. The red of his eyes was beginning to turn to a turquoise color and his pupils turned to slits. He was becoming just like Nightmare Moon.

“Twilight Sparkle, I am beginning to grow tired of this game. What say you we end it?” Sombra asked.

“Gladly.” Twilight looked into his eyes before looking at herself. She hadn’t undergone any changes. The unicorn even looked into a puddle to make sure that her eyes were the same, and aside from the dark smoke coming from her right eye, they were the same as they’d always been.

“Ties… Between… Friends…” Vim cracked out as her horn glowed dimly giving a small keychain to Twilight.

Vim’s body faded into a lavender mist that touched against Twilight. A second source of power entered her body, suppressing the negative emotions of the Nightmare energy. She saw images of her fillyhood. Of her playing with her brother, having meals with her family, and just enjoying herself.

“What…” Twilight gasped, confused as to what happened to Vim.

“She has returned to you, so that you may live out your life and hers. She has so much faith in you, but it is placed under ill advisement.” Sombra shook his head. “You’ll die together then.”

They were both gone. Spike and Vim tried to save Twilight and for that Sombra… he couldn’t be allowed to continue. The Crystal Light Keyblade appeared by Twilight’s side, but once again, it’s form changed upon being summoned. It became a sword with a strange combination of three circles on the hilt. The blade of the sword was covered in a gold net like material with a small three point crown at the head of the blade. A name rang through Twilight’s head.

“The Ultima Weapon.”

Finally a seventh Keyblade appeared. It was solid gold and very broad. The form was smooth and when Twilight gazed into the shining weapon, she could see the faces of all of her friends staring back at her.

“Ties Between Friends. My seventh Keyblade.” Twilight smiled, looking up at Sombra.

She wasn’t alone. She was never alone. Her friends were with her in her heart the whole time. Ever since the day that they all got their cutie marks, courtesy of Rainbow Dash’s Sonic Rainboom.

“You’re powerless to stop me you foalish filly.” Sombra smirked, overconfident in his new powers.

“I’m anything but powerless. My friends are my power, and I’m theirs.” the words seemed to flow from Twilight’s mouth, like they’d been said before, but she never recalled hearing them, much less saying them. But the Keyblades have a memory all their own, and the Ultima Weapon recalled a rival of its former master. The Ultima Weapon knew the words that Twilight had spoken.

The seven Keyblades surrounded Sombra, locking him in place, preventing so much as a movement on his part. He was stuck, he couldn’t fight back. Twilight walked over to him and pulled his Keyblade from his grasp, easily overpowering the stallion. Without a second thought she pushed the Keyblade into his chest and he fell to the floor, fading away as he lay on the stone. A black heart left his body and floated into the sky, vanishing a few meters up.

The seven Keyblades vanished and Twilight galloped to Spike’s side once more.

A bright light entered the room and Twilight saw Princess Luna standing there. She seemed to know that it was over. Seconds later, each of Twilight’s friends appeared and her brother was with them. Twilight looked over at them, tears blurring her vision as she leaned over Spike’s motionless body.

Author's Note:

The last chapter of this one. All that remains for the first story is the epilogue.