• Published 4th Jun 2014
  • 5,457 Views, 137 Comments

Flutterbat's Return - Raidah



After being cured by Twilight's spell and creating the bat sanctuary in the apple orchard, Fluttershy learns that she still has some bat blood inside her. And that the bat side of her is thirsty. So thirsty...

  • ...
18
 137
 5,457

Chapter 11: The Light of Day

Morning came slowly for Twilight, who had been awake and crying all night. She eventually ran out of tears, and so was left to dry sobs which died down to dull whimpers before stopping when she finally fell asleep. Pinkie drifted off long before Twilight had, and was already awake and preparing something that smelled really good. She groggily sat up and noticed Ace sitting across from her, a steaming cup of coffee in front of him. He nodded to her and picked the mug up, taking a long drag from it as Pinkie approached them with a tray.

On it were two stacks of pancakes, both smothered with syrup and covered with various berries. She set the tray down in front of them and they each took one of the plates, setting them down in front of themselves.

"Thanks, Pinkie," Twilight said with a yawn, rubbing a hoof over her eyes.

She magically floated the fork and knife, which she assumed Pinkie had placed on the table before Twilight had woken up, in front of her and began cutting into the stack of pancakes, the smell of them flowing into her nostrils so intensely that she almost forgot about her lost friends. She began eating and Pinkie walked off silently to the kitchen, only to return some seconds later with another tray with two tall glasses of orange juice ballanced on her hoof. She gave each of them their glass and returned to the kitchen once more.

Twilight and Ace ate in silence while Pinkie set her own spot on the table, right next to Twilight, and sat down with her own plate of pancakes. The trio ate and nothing was said. Pinkie didn't bring up last night, Twilight didn't break down into tears, and Ace kept to himself. It was as if things were going to start getting better now.

"Rainbow."

"Yeah?"

"Why were ya standin' over Apple Bloom like ya were gonna eat 'er?"

"I already told you, Applejack; I don't know how I got downstairs."

Applejack sighed and looked at Rainbow dully, trying to make sense of the situation. Rainbow was seated on a chair in front of her, tied to it so she couldn't move an inch. Her eyes weren't just red now, they were bloodshot from being awake all night. The sunrise hadn't helped too much, either, and almost blinded the two of them before they managed to close the shutters. Applejack sighed and walked towards Rainbow Dash and scrutinized her, unsure of what to do. She sighed again and untied her lover and embraced her gently.

Rainbow returned the hug and nuzzled into Applejack's neck, desperate to get back to sleep. Applejack hefted Rainbow's weight as she prepared to fly them to their room, and took off. Flapping her wings in slow, regular beats, Applejack carried her exhausted lover to their room and layed her down on their bed. She then layed down next to her and they fell asleep together.

Rarity couldn't tell how much time had passed before Flutterbat had regained her strength. All she knew is that the sun had come up between when Flutterbat had given her her strength and now. Once Flutterbat got up, however, she was clearly back to normal. She looked at Rarity before scanning the room, though Rarity wasn't sure what for. She saw the black mare, who she had come to know as Night Rain in the few hours that they had to converse, stand up and look at Flutterbat expectantly.

Flutterbat looked at Rarity, and knelt down next to her. "Time to go hunting," she said.

"What do you mean, 'hunting'?" Rarity asked, a little nervous as to what the answer would be.

"I mean," Flutterbat said, licking her lips, "getting fresh blood."

Rarity gulped, swallowing the lump that appeared in her throat, and said; "In broad daylight?"

Flutterbat gave her a questioning look, and then turned her head to see out the window. The sun was about a quarter of the way through its usual course in the sky, which meant that they'd have to wait done time before actually doing anything. If they didn't want to be caught, that is. She nodded in agreement and looked at Rarity again.

"You know? You're right. We should wait. Best not to get caught," she said, causing Rarity to let out the breath she hadn't realized she had been holding.

Night then stepped towards them and said: "Yeah, it's probably not gonna help our eyes any, either. I tried to go out earlier but the sun... I nearly went blind."

Flutterbat nodded in agreement, and then they waited.

"Ace?" Twilight said, curiosity taking over, "who was your friend that lived in that house?"

Ace stopped what he was doing and looked at Twilight sadly, and she instantly regretted asking.

"I'm sorry, I..."

"No, it's okay, Twilight," he said, "I can see why you'd be curious." He sat down next to her and put his hooves on the table in front of him. "I was going over to my friend Sharp's house to visit him and his marefriend, Night. I don't know why, just felt like hanging out with them for a while. I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd check up on them." His expression turned grim as he said: "That's when she flew by me. I didn't get a very good look, just a yellow and pink blur, but I could tell something was up. So I raced down the street as fast as I could and that's where we met. You know the rest," he let his head fall to the table gently as he finished speaking.

"I... I'm sorry about your friends..." Twilight said, placing a hoof on his shoulder.

"Don't worry about me," he said, "looks to me like you've lost more than I have." He tried to say something else, but the look of dread on Twilight's face kept him from it. "I'm sorry, that was insensitive..."

"It's... alright, Ace... We'll fix this. Right, Pinkie?" Twilight said.

"Right!!!" Came the pink pony's response.

Author's Note:

A day late, but I had writers block, so... Yeah... Hope you enjoyed!