• Published 4th Jun 2014
  • 5,451 Views, 137 Comments

Flutterbat's Return - Raidah



After being cured by Twilight's spell and creating the bat sanctuary in the apple orchard, Fluttershy learns that she still has some bat blood inside her. And that the bat side of her is thirsty. So thirsty...

  • ...
18
 137
 5,451

Chapter 9: Before the Storm

Granny Smith read the letter over for the third time, making sure she was actually reading what was on the paper. Applejack and Rainbow Dash stood next to each other nervously while Big Mac and Apple Bloom scrutinized them.

"Well," Granny Smith said in her shaky voice. Applejack nudged a little closer to Rainbow in anticipation of what her grandmother was going to say. "O'course yer still part o' th' family! Why in Equestria wouldn't ya be?"

Rainbow let out a breath that she had been holding in, as did Applejack. They both nodded happily and looked at each other with glee.

"I told ya they wouldn't think any different of us," Applejack said, though to her family it was just slight growls and hisses.

"Hehehe... Yeah, I guess I was worried for nothing," Rainbow said, laughing a bit at herself. Applejack nuzzled her playfully and she nuzzled back, happy that nothing bad was going to happen. Applejack then tackled Rainbow to the ground, earning even more laughter from her. She nuzzled Rainbow again and looked her in the eyes.

"I love you, Rainbow," she said.

"I know, I love you too," was Rainbow's response. Her face then flushed as she realized that they were still in front of Applejack's family. She looked at them sheepishly and tried to smile at them. Applejack did the same and quickly got off of her lover. Rainbow stood up next to Applejack and the pair blushed lightly, embarrassed by what had just happened.

"Uh," Applejack started, but remembered that they couldn't understand her. She gestured for Granmy Smith to give her the paper so she could write something on it, and she complied. Applejack pulled out the pen that she had under her wing and scribbled a quick message on the paper with her mouth. She then gave the small message back to her grandmother and motioned for Rainbow Dash to follow her as she turned and headed for the stairs. Rainbow followed without question and the pair ended up in Applejack's room, laying together on her bed.


Twilight and Ace stopped in their tracks right in front of Sugarcube Corner, panting heavily from their sprint from the house.

"Well," Ace panted, "now what?"

"I... I don't know," Twilight said, defeated. "None of this would have happened if the fruit bats never invaded Applejack's orchard."

"No," Ace said, shocking Twilight as he forced her to look at him. "I won't accept that as an answer. You're Twilight Sparkle! You never give up just like that."

"But there's nothing I can do. I already screwed up the first time I tried to fix Fluttershy, I can't risk making it worse," Twilight said, pushing Ace's hoof away and lowering her head in sorrow. "I'm sorry..." At first it was one, then two, then several tears were pouring down the alicorn's face as she cried over the loss of all but one of her friends. The only one she had left was...

"Twilight!"

She heard a high pitched and overly hyper voice scream. She turned her tear-stained face to see the hyper pink pony staring at her, a characteristic grin plastered on her face. She looked at the pink earth pony dully, tears still dripping from the bottom of her chin, and said;

"Hi, Pinkie..."

"What's wrong?" Pinkie asked. "You're crying, which means something bad is happening. Is something bad happening? Because if something bad's happening then we need to fix it lickety split!"

"We can't," came the alicorn's response. "There's nothing I can do about it, Pinkie. I've failed. There's no point in trying to save them now, it's already too late."

Pinkie was dumbfounded to hear her friend talk like that. Never had Twilight given up on something before, which clearly meant that it was truly a lost cause. She went to her friend's side and draped a hoof over her shoulder, trying to comfort the sobbing princess. Twilight looked up at her pink friend and smiled weakly, to which Pinkie returned the favor. Twilight then got to her hooves shakily and hugged Pinkie, crying into her friend's shoulder while Pinkie stroked Twilight's streaked mane lightly.


Rarity watched as the other mare sobbed over the now dead stallion. She realized pretty quickly that the mare wasn't draining his blood, but trying to revive him. What gave it away were the tears streaming from the midnight black mare's eyes while she had her jaws clamped on the red stallion's neck. Trying whatever she could to bring him back to life. It hadn't worked, to say the least, and the mare was now crying over her dead companion. Rarity considered going to her and comforting her, but she didn't have the strength yet to move, let alone walk across the room and hug the grieving mare. So she just sat and watched as the mare cried.

Several minutes passed, and the mare's sobbing gradually died down to a dull whimper, her tear reservoirs drained. That was when she returned. Fluttershy--or Flutterbat--flew in through the window and landed next to Rarity, looking down on her with an unreadable expression. But Rarity thought she saw something in her eyes, was it...sympathy? She would never find out.

"F-Fluttershy?" Rarity croaked weakly. It had taken her much longer than anypony else to regain the strength to talk, let alone move, and Flutterbat could see this clearly.

"No," came the response. "Though you may call me that if it helps."

"What's going on? What happened to you?" Rarity asked.

Flutterbat chuckled at that, her eyelids lowering slightly as she spoke; "You remember when I was first around, don't you?" Rarity nodded. "Well, it seems that the spell the purple one cast on me didn't work."

Rarity took it in for a minute before responding. "Are you sure?"

"Well, it did remove the vampire fruit bat part of me. But it left the vampire bat part. At least, that's what it seems like."

"So, what are you going to do?" Rarity asked, a little nervous as to what the answer was going to be.

Flutterbat lowered her head an looked Rarity in the eyes, an evil smirk spreading across her features. "I'm going to take over the night."

Author's Note:

Well... This certainly took forever and a half to get posted. But, hey, at least I did it! The hiatus is over and I plan to get back into the weekly (and if not weekly, bi-weekly) updates! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!!!