• Published 5th Apr 2012
  • 10,345 Views, 289 Comments

Prances with Ponies - Typewrittensoul

  • ...
20
 289
 10,345

Chapter 1 (side B): Rumor Has It...

“You can't be serious, Fluttershy...” Rainbow Dash stuttered once again to the yellow pegasus pony. Just moments ago when she flew over to visit her friend at her cottage, she never expected to see “...that's the Two-Legged Beast!”

Fluttershy on her part simply nodded with a smile in a calm and serene way. Quite the polar opposite of her friend's panicked behavior. “Yes I know, Rainbow, and I understand and appreciate your concern. But Dewey really isn't the monster everpony made him out to be.”

The weather pony let out a frustrated exhale and dropped her head into her hooves. “No, Fluttershy, you don't understand because it's strange, and weird and walks around on two legs and...” Realizing halfway through Rainbow took her face out of the press of her hooves and stared at the other pony in confusion. “...wait, who's Dewey?”

“It's what I named him.” Fluttershy stated as a matter of fact. Taking Rainbow's silence as a cue to explain, she more than happily did so. “Well calling him the 'Two-Legged Beast' isn't very nice at all. And so, since he walks on two legs instead of four I was reminded of Spike. But of course he doesn't look like Spike at all but they do share a lot of similarities! So I then thought: 'Wouldn't they make a great duo?' I thought it sounded pretty good, but I like to an a 'y' at the end because it sounds so much cuter like 'Squirrely' the flying squirrel and 'Buzzy' the Buzzard. So, Dewey.”

Rainbow Dash stared at Fluttershy in a slack-jawed manner as she tried to ingest the convoluted manner of naming the creature currently sifting through the wall calendar nearby.

“Fluttershy...you can't just bring a monster into your house the first moment you see it and then name it! I know you like animals and all, but that's way too reckless, even by my standards! What would you have done if I didn't come by, huh?”

“Oh no, Rainbow, I didn't just take Dewey in. You see, first I spent a few days watching him after Angel told me where he was. And then we had a few picnics together, and talked a bit. He talked and then I talked. He's a very polite creature and quite intelligent, actually. Even though Dewey can't understand what I'm saying, he's smart enough to understand body language! And he built a shelter for himself and has this journal that he writes in!”

“The way you're talking about it is making you sound like Twilight.” Rainbow Dash felt a bit unnerved by her friend's excitement while talking about the Two-Legged Beast. The rumors of its existence first appeared in the paper a few months ago and was first sighted by the Cutie Mark Crusaders when they were exploring the Everfree Forest—when they weren't supposed to be there in the first place, of course, but that never stopped them before.

She glanced toward the strange creature again, noting the shabby, dirty clothing it wore and the unkempt, shaggy-looking black hair on its head. The grunting and growling noises it made when it was supposedly “talking” with Fluttershy only raised concerns with the blue pegasus.

Dash knew that Fluttershy was too nice around animals and lost her common sense whenever it came to them, even the scarier ones. For example, being able to block a full-speed tackle from the one and only Rainbow Dash when she first saw the Two-Legged Beast at the cottage was way too crazy to think about. And it was a bit awkward, but only Fluttershy would then be able to make her apologize for the misunderstanding, to a creature that wouldn't know what she was saying in the first place.

Standing at the height of two ponies stacked on top of one another, it had to hunch while walking around the cottage. But it mostly stayed seated on Fluttershy's couch, with a large bag on the floor next to him, usually writing something or another. Dash wanted to see if it stole that bag when it attacked some unsuspecting pony but Fluttershy was vehement about telling her that wasn't the case. Dash just couldn't be so sure about that.

“Oh my goodness!” Fluttershy suddenly drew closer to Dash and placed her front hooves on her shoulders. “I just realized! You're not going to tell anypony about him, are you? Please don't tell anypony! Especially not Twilight! Please don't tell anypony that he's here and especially not Twilight!”

“What? Why not?!” Dash was surprised she would even ask her not to tell. “This isn't some bear you found the woods, Fluttershy. It's the Two-Legged Beast, for crying out loud! Haven't you heard the rumors? The Two-Legged Beast eats meat!”

“Well, so do other animals.” Fluttershy countered. “But Dewey also ate the sandwiches I made him and they didn't have any meat.”

“It gets angry and loses control at seeing the color red, and sneaks into ponies' houses to steal things!”

“If that was true, why hasn't Dewey gotten angry after seeing your mane? It has red in it. And besides, none of the things reported missing in Ponyville were in his bag when he was packing up to come over. I know, I checked.”

Dash shook her head in frustration at the other pony's stubbornness to see reason. “It's...it's probably hiding things from you then, because you fed it...and...it knows I can kick its butt if it tries to do anything which is why he hasn't reacted from my mane! Or he's colorblind, I don't know! Fluttershy you just gotta trust my instincts on this one! He's...”

Fluttershy sat on her haunches and crossed her forelegs over her chest. After a moment of contemplation, Dash could only sigh when she realized Dewey hadn't acted like any of the rumors said he would, and sat down as well. “...Alright, I get it...Dewey, or whatever, hasn't really been that bad. But I still don't fully trust him.”

“But at least you can trust him a little bit, right? For example you're using 'him' instead of 'it' now.” Fluttershy asked with an eager smile. Dash scratched her head when she found she was caught by her own words and unenthusiastically nodded her head. Fluttershy smiled even bigger and hugged her friend. Dewey watched from the couch and wrote something into his journal.

“I'm only giving him a chance because I trust you.” Dash said in an attempt to minimize her embarrasment. “He hasn't done anything like the rumors say...but at the same time he hasn't done anything that showed me I can trust him.”

“And that's all I ask for you to start with.”

Rainbow Dash clicked her tongue in annoyance at being defeated. Something was irking her that this was what Fluttershy was aiming for the whole time, though Dash couldn't see a way to worm out of this sort of loss. But there was something that Fluttershy said that still bothered her. “So...what's the deal about not wanting to tell Twilight specifically? She's your friend too, isn't she?”

“Of course she's my friend!” Fluttershy waved her hooves about in front of her. “...but...” she looked down to the floor and nervously pawed at it with her hoof. “...Pinkie told me about the experiments Twilight did on her when she was trying to solve Pinkie Sense...” Rainbow followed her glance toward Dewey as it appeared he was having a staring contest with the white bunny, Angel.

“Ah...” Rainbow Dash nodded when she understood what Fluttershy was trying to say. Twilight Sparkle, the resident egghead who had gotten Rainbow Dash of all ponies to enjoy reading, had on more than one occasion taken things a bit too far. While Pinkie was all too eager to play “science experiment”, Dash couldn't be too sure about how Dewey would react to being stuck with wires and strapped down into a machine.

"At the very least, I really want to get him more acquainted with living with others. He's been living alone for so long, I'm afraid something might happen if too many ponies come by to see him at once."

“So...what are you gonna do?”

“Well first have him take a bath. I know he has been trying to keep clean but all of that messy hair of his might make somepony think he really is a monster. He has some soap in his bag so that won't be too hard to tell him. Then I'm sure he's going to be hungry because he's such a big guy and he didn't eat anything before we came over...and then I'll have him meet all the other animals and-”

“No, I meant what you're going to do to keep him from getting discovered by anypony else before he's ready.”

“...oh...” It became obvious from the sheepish grin that Fluttershy hadn't thought that far, causing the blue pegasus to sigh for the fifth or sixth time that day.