• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 451 Views, 5 Comments

Clairevoyance - DayDreams



Claire, a blank flank filly, discovers her hidden talent amidst her parents' historical studies. Unfortunately, the strange happenings around her do not seem to stop. Is this her destiny?

  • ...
 5
 451

A Confession

Claire woke up feeling thirsty. By the looks of it, it was around five in the morning. She decided to get herself a glass of water, and went out into the hallway, which was dimly lit by the first rays of the rising sun. She forgot that she was alone, pushed by her thirst, and walked down the hallway till the wardrobe came into sight. She decided to walk right on, without looking at it. Counting her steps, and trying not to freak out, she trotted forth.

One

Two

Three

Four

Fi-

She froze. A rotting hoof pulled up in the left bottom corner of the mirror. It slowly inched forward pulling up the remaining of the corpse. Claire tensed up....

...and relaxed, exhaling deeply.

'Its time I faced this', she thought to herself, stood her ground instead of sprinting back to her room and hiding under the sheets. She was here to get a glass of water. Nopony, dead or alive, could stop her from getting what she wanted. She didn't know why she felt so fearless all of a sudden. But it was there.

Soon, the whole corpse stood upright, looking at her, a menacing grin stretching wide. Anypony would be shaking at the knees at the sight. A corpse. Its bones and torn muscles showing underneath decaying flesh. Its ears no longer existed. Its eyes almost popping out of its sockets. And it lifted a hoof.

Clomp!

The hoof came right out of the wardrobe, which was still slightly ajar as Claire had last seen. The air around her suddenly became stale. The corpse was no longer in the mirror. It had now stepped out of the wardrobe and was advancing. Slow as ever. Claire still did not flee.

"But Relic, this is serious. I am serious.", somepony cried out of the bedroom closest. Claire recognized it as her mom's voice and both, the corpse and she, jumped startled at the sudden commotion. Both turned to the source. Claire turned back to face her nemesis, remembering where she was, only to find that he, or maybe she, since you can't possibly tell a male corpse apart from a female, had disappeared.

She decided to go see what her parents had to shout for at the break of dawn. Her mom seemed to be trying to convince her dad about something. Claire sighed. They had arguments almost every week. Nothing new. Just as she was about to pull turn the doorknob, she heard something that she hadn't expected her mother would bring up.

"She looked positively frightened out of her wits. For goodness's sake, she fainted! What do you say to that?1", DD exclaimed.

Earlier that day, her mother had insisted that ghosts did not exist. Then why was she so worried that she had to tell her dad?

"She what?!!!", her dad now sounded worried as well. He was always prone to over-react for the smallest issues. But this time, he had well enough a reason to do so.

Despite her poor eyesight and fragile looks, Claire was just as healthy as any other filly of her age. She had a normal appetite. The only time she ever fainted was during their vacation to the mountains in the north of Equestria. And that was only due to the sudden change in air pressure.

"Why didn't you tell me this?", Relic asked, partly angered and partly anxious.

"I told you now.", DD deadpanned.

"Yes, but you could have told me sooner.", her husband retorted.

"I couldn't. I had a hard enough time trying to get her to stop talking about ghosts. Can you imagine what I'd tell her if she asked me why I was telling you about it?"

At this, Claire's heart dropped right into her stomach.

'That's it,' she felt, 'Mom thinks I'm having hallucinations or something. Maybe she will takes me to a doctor and he might end up putting me in a mad ponies' asylum. Oh dear! What do I do?' Just as she was about to decide to act as if she couldn't see any ghosts anymore in front of her mom, she heard the conversation on the other side of the door continue.

"Relic, I tell you, it's happening again. You may as well stay here and continue your work. But I will not, and neither will our kids."

Claire could hold back her curiosity no longer and decided to find out why her mom was so worried if she did not believe in ghosts. She pushed at the door.

"Mom?"

...

...

...

"Claire why are you not in bed?", said her mother breaking the awkward silence that had set in upon Claire's entrance.

"I couldn't sleep. What are you and Daddy fighting about?", Claire asked innocently.

"Nothing you need to worry about.", Detail hurriedly covered up. Relic merely fidgeted.

Claire looked at her mother, frowning. "But I heard you say something about me fainting." Her mother's blue eyes went wide and looked to the pair of violet eyes near her for help. Relic frowned, shaking her head. It was of no use trying to lie. She had obviously overheard the conversation.

"Sorry DD, we have to let the cat out of the saddlebag. Why don't you tell her?", he said.

DD sighed deeply.

"The truth is, Claire, that you could see ghosts and spirits ever since you were born."

This time, aquamarine eyes went wide.


"Why didn't you tell me?!", Claire demanded.

"We wanted you to be safe, Claire.", her father explained.

"We managed to get an expert to make you forget your memories and you stopped seeing them. But now that you've started seeing them again...", DD trailed off.

"Then why did you have to lie to me?!", cried Claire indignantly.

"Claire, go back to bed.", said her mother.

"But Mo-"

"You heard me. I said 'Go Back To Bed'", said Detail, sternly.

Claire gave a defeated sigh and left her parents' room.

Author's Note:

YES!!! I've hit 1000 words, finally. :pinkiecrazy: