• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 451 Views, 5 Comments

Clairevoyance - DayDreams



Claire, a blank flank filly, discovers her hidden talent amidst her parents' historical studies. Unfortunately, the strange happenings around her do not seem to stop. Is this her destiny?

  • ...
 5
 451

A Maze of Doors

For a few days, didn't go within a foot of the wardrobe without somepony accompanying her. Her parents' work was now in full swing. All was well.

But it didn't last for long. The three guys went out four days from the day of their arrival. Claire and her mother were left behind because DD was having a headache. Unlike other mares, she wasn't into shopping. Claire didn't want to leave her mom in a house which had malevolent creatures in it.

"Bye Mom, Claire. Hope ya get well by the time we get back." said Swift as he exited.

DD shut the door after them, so that the dust from outside wouldn't come in and settle on Varnish's beloved collection.

"Ugh...my head hurts like its been kicked in and out of Tartarus." she groaned in agony.

"Mom, do you wanna sleep for a while, do you think?" asked Claire.

"Yeah, sweety. Guess that would do me some good." said her mom, as she turned to retire to her sleeping quarters.

Not knowing what to do, Claire decided to get herself a glass of water. She tried to find the kitchen, but soon lost her way in the maze of doors.

'Uh Oh' she realized.
Lost.
Lost in a house probably infested with tormented spirits and what not.

Kicking herself internally for her thoughtlessness, she tried to focus on how to find her way back. Certainly, the mansion was not this big when she had looked at it from outside. Door after door, she ended up deeper in what seemed like a horribly large maze. She had never been in a maze before.

'Is this what it is like to be lost in a maze?' she wondered, as she reentered the same room for about the seventh time that morning.

All of a sudden, she walked into a large hall. with two stairs leading on to different platforms.

"How on Equestria did they manage to fit two halls, as big as a hoofball field in here!!!" said Claire out loud in astonishment.

Her curiosity piqued, she made her way up one of the stairs, the one on her left. Above, there was a wide corridor which had doors all along it. She decided to explore, emboldened by the fact that she hadn't seen anything suspicious or that she hadn't been attacked by a spirit when she was as vulnerable as a rabbit in a lion's den. She opened the door closest to her, but this time remembered that she might get lost, and put the stopper on. Thankfully, it only led to one more door. There wasn't any need for the stopper. Still, what's the harm in leaving the door open.

The room must have been a bedroom of sorts. It sure had a large bed, with the silk sheets and curtains around it still on.

'Strange' she thought, 'Varnish said that the place was nearly in ruins before he took over it. Or did he buy these sheets after that? Must've cost a lot. But still, why did he leave them here? What if they got chewed by moths? Does this place even have moths? I haven't seen any since we've come here. Maybe he does monthly maintenance or something.'

All these questions went on in her head as she entered the adjoining room. It was a small room, with tables and chairs.
Nothing much.
She left the room.
She trotted over to the bedroom door, but stopped short.
Something was amiss.
Everything was just as she left, or was it not.
Her scanning eyes then rested on the door.