• Published 2nd Aug 2014
  • 452 Views, 5 Comments

Clairevoyance - DayDreams



Claire, a blank flank filly, discovers her hidden talent amidst her parents' historical studies. Unfortunately, the strange happenings around her do not seem to stop. Is this her destiny?

  • ...
 5
 452

An Argument

Her vision was blurry as she opened her eyes. Claire Sight could see her worried mother's face light up with relief on seeing her awake.

"How are feeling now Claire?", she asked.
"I'm fine, Mom. Just need to pee.", Claire replied, raising her head only to sink back into her pillow. She closed her eyes as the memories of her paranormal experiences came flooding back. So did her fears. She opened her eyes suddenly and looked to her mother.

"Mom, how long have I been out for exactly?"
"About two hours. Why do you ask?"
"Does that mean Daddy and the rest are back?"
"No, they haven't. I dunno what's keeping them away for so long."

Claire rose out of bed slowly and went to the filly's room. By now, the shock had dissipated and she had regained her strength.When she returned, her mother finally asked her the question that had to come eventually.

"What scared you so much, dear?"

"Mom...I...I....", she could barely breathe. "I SAW A GHOST", she screamed and curled up into a little ball of blue fur at her mothers hooves.

"Claire, ghosts don't exist.", her mom said.

Claire could no longer control herself. She burst out into a full swing of hysterical explanation of her encounter with the wardrobe, the doors and the bathroom.

"The wardrobe, a corpse is there in it, and the doors closed on their own, there is mare ghost in the upstairs bathroom, I even left the doors open with the stopper pushed in, I got lost in a maze, and I..."

"Claire! I said ghosts DO NOT exist!!!", her mother's tone wasn't gentle anymore.
Claire's jaw dropped and her ears lay flat against the sides of her head. There was a queer look in her mother's eyes which had never seen before.
Her feelings hurt, Claire ran out of the house, her eyes swimming in tears. She had thought that her mom would understand her, but she hadn't even heard her out.

'Mom doesn't care.', she thought miserably,'No one cares about me.', she lay whimpering in the lawn, her hot face getting cooled against the moist blades of grass.

She didn't react when the grass behind her rustled. If it was ghosts, she didn't care anymore.

But it wasn't ghosts. It was DD.

"Come inside, its about to become dark and you'll catch a cold if you stay outside at this time of the day. Plus, you need to eat something and rest.", said DD.

Claire knew it wasn't wise to disagree with her mother just then and moved inside quietly, without a word and avoiding eye contact. She never wanted anypony to see her cry. Swift would tease her to death if he knew.


Dinner was very silent. Neither DD nor Claire talked much. DD just asked her simple questions related to dinner and Claire simply gave monosyllabic answers to them. Besides, none of the men had returned. Claire was secretly feeling guilty of her behavior earlier that day. It just didn't do to storm off if your mom didn't agree on certain things with you. Everypony had different views on things, after all. Plus, she hadn't even asked DD about her headache. Claire, for her age, was very far seeing. But she still didn't feel like talking to her mom.

Her eyes in her plate, she asked,"H..How is your headache..."

"What?", her mom asked.

When Claire didn't say anything, she said,"I thought I heard you say something."

"I said 'How is your headache?'."

"It's fine now. I wouldn't be eating otherwise."

"Hmph", Claire grunted back with a mouthful of icecream. Boy, was she hungry. She loved icecream. The vanilla flavor rolled of her tongue and the cold left it tingling. The rest of the meal relapsed into silence.

"We've finished dinner and the guys haven't returned. I'm getting kinda worried y'know.",said her mother as Claire helped to do the dishes.

"Yeah. Me too.", by now Claire had overcome her discomfort in talking to her mom and said sorry to her. The argument was quickly forgotten. However, the incident that had been at its root wasn't.


After what seemed like hours, Varnish, Relic and Feather returned, tired and wet. They had been caught in a thunderstorm while returning. They were too tired to eat and just dried themselves and wiggled into bed. Even Swift was too tired to say anything and taunt Claire about what fun he had had in the city. All of them went right to slumberland at a speed faster than that of light. All except one. And strangely, it wasn't Claire. She was completely tuckered out from her day. It was Detail, who was having a sleepless night. What had happened when they were in Vanhoover still sent a shiver down her spine.