• Published 30th Apr 2014
  • 5,024 Views, 224 Comments

The Silent Blade - Rhodesm96



A man dressed as Altair Ibn La'Ahad goes to Equestria, and stabs many things.

  • ...
59
 224
 5,024

Chapter 2 - Think I'll Be Going Now

Author's Note:

Wow, I was not expecting this to get featured. Thank you guys so much.

750 years ago

Being a statue was boring as fuck. I couldn't move, I couldn't talk, I could only move my eyes a little bit. It wouldn't be as bad if I had a little company. I'd been staring at the same hedges for somewhere close to two hundred and fifty years by my reckoning. Watching passers-by did little to alleviate the boredom. Hardly any stopped to look at my statue, anyway. It didn't even have a plaque on it. In retrospect, that was probably fitting, being an assassin. Anonymity and all that.

"Over here, put him with the other one."

Oh? Looks like I might be getting a new room-mate after all I thought. Slowly, a platoon of guards came into view, wheeling something behind them. At first glance, it looked like any other statue. But as it was turned around, I got a good look at it. I would've gasped if I could.

Edward? I thought. I certainly didn't expect a reply.

Holy shit, Josh? I was dumbstruck. Apparently, the statue spell allows you to talk to other similarly frozen individuals telepathically.

What the fuck are you doing here? I asked him.

Showed up, got on the wrong side of some ponies, accidentally formed a band of pirates-

Wait, what? Pirates?... Well, he is Edward Kenway, sort of.

I'm getting to that. -Got caught, Sunbutt stoned me. What about you?

Same, minus the pirates. Say, you didn't happen to find my Apple, did you?

You still have that?

The guards finished moving Ed onto my podium, positioning him next to me. I had to admit, he had a much cooler pose. Both pistols pointed forward, snarling at some unseen target. He must've been trying to take them down when they blasted him. I'd seen my end coming, so I had stood straight and embraced it. My left hand still dripped with frozen blood from the last kill.

I lost it a couple centuries back.

CENTURIES?! Jesus Christ, dude, how long have you been here?

Depends what you mean. Here in the gardens as a statue, about two hundred and fifty years, give or take. I was free for about a year before that, though.

Wow. Good on you for not going insane from boredom. I'm assuming that the Royal Pain stoned you as well. What did you do to piss her off?

Two Royal Pains, actually. The second one went batshit after I was imprisoned and got sent to the moon. She's there for a thousand years apparently.

Woah, harsh.

Meh, at least she gets a view. I've been staring at those hedges for ages.

Speaking of, just what did you do, Josh?

Call me Altair, it's what I've been going by. As for what I did, well, it's a long story...


1,001 years ago

After I killed the guards, I'd gotten out of there as quick as I could. If I kept my head down, I found that I could pass for one of the ponies at a glance.

Thank fuck they're not normal horses. They'd be impossible to blend with. I figured that after what I'd just done, it'd be best to get out of town.

As I moved through the crowd, realisation hit me like an express train. Holy shit, I just killed someone. Four someones, in fact. I clenched the Apple tighter, and it calmed me a bit. How did I even do that? I've never fought anyone in my life, yet I just took down four trained soldiers. I looked down at the Apple to see that it was still giving off a faint glow. Maybe this helped me? ...Why not, they did crazier things in the games. I tried to run through what I knew of the Apples that had appeared in the series.

Okay, mind control, illusion projection, and physical manipulation. I think those were the basic powers these things had, and it looks like this one is helping me fight, too. I considered this for a short time. The last two I can definitely use to my advantage. Mind control seems just a bit too much like an evil overlord type thing to do.

Looking over my shoulder, I saw a group of guards enter the alley I'd just come from. Shit! I didn't exactly hide the bodies! I sped up my walk, hoping to distance myself from the guards.

Looking back again, I saw a pegasus fly up from where the alley was. He flew out of sight before I could see where he was going, but fairly soon alarm bells began to ring out through the city. Hearing this, the populace flew into a panic. Guards flew overheard ordering people into their homes, and I soon realised that the crowd was thinning out, thus making me much more visible. Luckily, at the moment I just looked like a regular pony with a white mane from above, but when I didn't have a home to go to I'd stick out like a sore thumb.

I raced down another alleyway, hoping to find somewhere I could hide. Eventually, though, I realised just hiding wouldn't do it. They were looking for me now, and with the number of guards they'd deployed it was only a matter of time until I'd be found. I'd have to escape the area altogether. How the fuck am I going to do this? I thought.

I looked down at the Apple in my grasp. ...Illusion projection, eh? I grinned. I think I should test this out. Wary of guards from above, I held up the Apple and focused on projecting an image of myself. The Apple glowed, and I appeared before me. I tried to make it move, and it responded exactly how I wanted it to. Perfect.

I sent the image out of the alley and made it run to the right. I heard a shout, and several guards ran past, chasing it. I smirked and ran to the left.

I had to repeat this trick a few more times, but eventually I managed to get outside the walls without any trouble. It was at that point that I realised the city was halfway up a mountain. As I stood there a moment, taking in the view, I heard a shout from behind me. A pegasus had flown over the walls and spotted me as I paused to admire the scenery. I turned to run again, only to find myself faced with a long drop and a sharp stop.

I turned around, seeing no option other than to fight my way out. As soon as I did, however, the same pegasus slammed into me and knocked me over the edge of the cliff. For a moment, I teetered on the edge, my arms swinging wildly as I tried to regain my balance.

Time seemed to move in slow motion as I went over. A wordless cry escaped my lips as I fell to what I assumed was my end.