• Published 24th Apr 2014
  • 6,018 Views, 151 Comments

Puny Purple Pony: From Padded to Proud - Autum Breeze



Twilight tries to redo her experiment with portals to other worlds. An accident was bound to happen

  • ...
50
 151
 6,018

Chapter 4 - New Friends/Old Friends

Chapter 4

New Friends/Old Friends

___________________________________________________________

“Well, at least I’ve taken their attention away from my Cutie Mark,” Twilight said as she levitated three apple fritters in a circle, before making them take the shape of a triangle, to which the fillies and colts “ooohed” and “aaaaahed”.

Suddenly, Twilight’s horn sparked, pain shooting through it and she yelped, losing her magical grip on the objects she’d been levitating and grabbing her forehead with her hooves.

“What’s wrong?”

“Is she alright?”

“Ah heard unciorn’s get magical surges. Maybe that’s wha’ happened?”

Twilight gasped, looking up at the ponies around her, tears of pain from her throbbing horn leaking from her eyes. Had she...? Were they all speaking a language she could understand?

Fresh Veggies knelt down, looking at Twilight with conern. “Twilight, are you alright?”

Her eyes went wide. She’d understood her. That had been clear as crystal.

“I can understand you!” she said excitedly, her eyes lighting up, before her ears drooped at the confused look on Fresh’s face.

Could... could she understand them, but they still couldn’t understand her?

“Twilight?” Fresh asked, extending a hoof and rubbing the alicorn’s horn, which felt a little better as she did so. “Are you okay?”

Twilight nodded.

This elected a bunch of “Aaaawwws” from several of the adults and the fillies and colts.

“That’s so sweet,” the mare Twilight could tell was this world’s Golden Delicious said, giving Twilight a sweet smile. “She’s such a brave little filly.”

It took everything Twilight had to not roll her eyes as she saw it from her perspective. Twilight had just gotten hurt, had been about to cry and with a few comforting words from her mother had tried to act brave.

However, now she had something else to think about. Why had her horn sparked like that and caused such pain throughout her head and did it have something to do with why she could understand all the Big Ponies now?

She guessed her magic had been trying to adjust to this world’s magic and, now that it had, it had sparked, giving her the ability to speak the language of the natives.

It was the best explanation she could come up with on such short notice. She’d have to do some more research later.

“Well, hello there, everypony. What a wonderful day, is it not?”

Twilight almost toppled over.

That voice. She knew that voice. But, the accent. It didn’t sound right at all.

She turned around and her eyes went wide.

Walking up the path were four ponies who all looked very familiar.

The first was the tall red stallion with a short-cut blonde mane and tail that was clearly this world’s Big Macintosh.

Twilight gulped. He was big enough back in her own world, but here, he was just as tall, if a little more so than her own tree house.

On his back was a small filly, maybe one or two years old, with a yellow coat and red mane and tail, wearing a diaper with apple patterns on the front.

It took a second before Twilight realized it was Apple Bloom.

Sweet Celestia! She was just as big as Twilight, if a little taller. This was very daunting for the alicorn princess.

Walking on Big Mac’s left was Granny Smith, who looked just like the Granny Smith from her own world. A wrinkly, well aged mare with a green coat, grey hair, wearing a red and white checked scarf.

However, the similarities and lack thereof those three had to her world’s Big Mac and Apple Bloom were nothing compared to the head smacking her brain received at the sight of the pony standing next to Big Mac.

She was an Earth Pony mare with an orange coat, a blonde mane and tail, the former tailed in a beehive-like still with gems adorned at the front, emerald green eyes and a fancy-looking gown, that was fancy, yet looked like it was strictly for non-fancy occasions.

She just stared at the mare, how mouth agape.

It... It couldn’t be...? Was that... Applejack?

“Well, it’s nice ta see ya came,” Fresh smiled, pulling Big Mac into a hug. “An’ how’s my little Bloom?”

Apple Bloom giggled, her gaze moving from Fresh to Twilight.

Her eyes went wide and she pointed excitedly at her. “Wigs! Hown!”

Applejack turned to the direction Apple Bloom was pointing and her eyes fell upon Twilight and narrowed. “I know I haven’t been here in a long time, but do unicorns normally have wings as well.”

Fresh turned her attention to Twilight who had hidden her face behind her wings.

She smiled, bent down and lifted her up, holding her to her barrel. “Applejack, this is our new daughter, Twilight Sparkle.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “Twilight Sparkle? Not a name I’d have expected you to give your first child.” Her eyes narrowed. “When did you have her? I don’t remember you ever mentioning you were pregnant in your letters?”

Fresh blushed, then shook her head. “Oh, no, no, no, no, no, Applejack. Ah... Ah can’t give birth to a foal. We adopted Twilight.”

Just as Applejack was about to ask another question, they heard a whining sound at their hooves.

They looked down to see Apple Bloom looking up at them with big, watery eyes. Her eyes were also fixed on the alicorn now nestled against Fresh’s barrel.

Fresh smiled and lowered Twilight down, saying, “Play nice with your cousin, Twilight.”

Twilight would have given anything to give Fresh a “Please tell me you’re joking” look, but knew it would look too suspicious.

Twilight started to walk away, when she noticed Apple Bloom wasn’t next to her. She glanced back and saw the farm filly struggling to walk the same was as her.

This caused her to raise an eyebrow. Shouldn’t Apple Bloom already be walking at her age?

Deciding to put it aside, she lit her horn, the aura of her magic enveloping the filly and she was lifted to meet Twilight.

Apple Bloom stared at her with wide eyes, to which Twilight replied by rolling hers. This was going to be harder than she’d thought.

___________________________________________________________

Fresh watched as Twilight went off with Apple Bloom, more than once carrying the filly in her magic, which caused the farm mare to chuckle.

She turned to Applejack, who was giving her a very inquisitive look.

“I know I don’t hang around a place like Ponyville very often, but how is that foal able to use her magic so easily?”

Fresh gulped, smiling sheepishly. “Well, Ah read up on the matter an’ the book said unicorn foals tend ta have more control over their magic when they’re youngins than when they’re a bit older cos they don’t think about it too much.”

Applejack seemed to mull that over. “I suppose, since she’s got a horn, she has magic, so the same applies. What exactly is she? Her wings are bigger than any pegasi I’ve ever seen and her horn looks a little pointier than a unicorn’s horn should be, even at her age.”

Fresh groaned at this. Of course Applejack wouldn’t know about alicorns. She’d spent her whole life in Manehatten. True, there was a farm outside of the city, where Big Mac used to work with their parents before their death almost two years ago now, but AJ had always wanted to live the life of a city pony sicne she was a filly, and lived with her Aunt and Uncle Orange since she was five.

“She’s an alicorn,” Fresh said simply. “She’s not some mix between a unicorn an’ a Pegasus. She’s got the power o’ all three. Earth Pony, Pegasus and unicorn.”

Applejack blinked, dumbfounded. “Is... Is that rare?”

It took everything Fresh had not to face-hoof. “Rare? Rare? Applejack, an alicorn has not been seen in Equestria in over five thousand years.”

“Hmm,” Applejack said, thinking. “Then that would mean she is really special. Do you think she’d want to live in a city? No offence, dear, but a farm doesn’t quite sound like the place for a pony who uses magic.”

Fresh narrowed her eyes. “Are ya’ll sayin’ Twilight wouldn’a be happy here?”

Applejack seemed to realize her folly and shook her head and her hooves quickly. “No, no, no, dear. I never meant anything of the sort.”

Fresh snorted. “Then would ya’ll kindly refrain from sayin’ such things about my daughter. She may be adopted, but that don’t mean she won’t be happy here.”

Applejack nodded, looking very apologetic. “I am sorry, Fresh. That came out wrong.” She hesitated and sighed. “Besides, I... I need to ask you a favor.”

Fresh raised an eyebrow. “Favor? Wha’ kind o’ favor?”

Applejack looked to Apple Bloom, who was watching Twilight levitate several apple fritters down from one of the table for them to eat.

She sighed. “Could you look after Apple Bloom?”

Fresh blinked. “Take care of Apple Bloom? Why do you ask?”

Applejack looked away, a mournful look in her eyes. “Big Macintosh and Granny Smith have been trying to look after her. After our parents died last year, they’re really the only family she’s got. I tried caring for her myself, but she doesn’t seem to like the city life of Manehatten.”

Fresh was still confused. “So, why are you asking me? Can’t Big Mac and Granny look after her?”

The city mare shook her head. “Like I said, they’ve been trying to, but looking after their farm takes up too much time, now that mother and father are gone. They barely have any time for her. She loves living on the farm, but they can’t look after her and the farm. So, I talked with Big Mac and Granny and they agreed that, if you’ll agree to it, she should come and live here.”

Fresh was shocked. “You want Apple Bloom to live here, in Ponyville?”

Applejack nodded. “She loves being on the farm, but Big Mac and Granny can’t look after her and it. I can look after her in Manehatten, but she doesn’t like it there. So, would you take her in and let her live on your farm? I know you’ve got a lot to handle now that you’ve got your own foal, but...”

Fresh smiled, leaned forward and nuzzled her cousin. “I’ll talk with Pitch, but I’m sure he’d love to have Apple Bloom live here.”

Though Ah’m not sure how Twilight will feel about this. As long as Apple Bloom’s around, she’ll have to wear diapers until she’s big enough for others to think it makes sense she’s not wearin’ ’em. If she doesn't wear them, Apple Bloom will think she doesn't have to either, when she does.

___________________________________________________________

Twilight couldn’t help but feel a mixture of happiness and sadness as she and Apple Bloom ate their fritters.

She was happy because she now knew this world had versions of the ponies she knew from her own world, but sad because one of her best friends was so different here and Apple Bloom was just as big as her.

“I wike you, cousin Twiwigh,” Apple Bloom said after finishing a mouthful of fritter.

Twilight gave a small smile. “I like you too, cousin Apple Bloom.”

Sweet Celestia, that sounded weird now that she’d said it out loud. Apple Bloom was her cousin, in this world, anyway. This was going to take some serious getting use to.

Twilight felt her hear sink a little at the confused look on Apple Bloom’s face.

Despite her irritation at how she couldn’t fully wrap her tongue around the words of this world’s language, she tried to say what she’d said again, in this world’s tongue instead of her own.

“Tank you, Abble Bwoom. I wike you too.”

If she could have buried her head in the dirt at that moment without drawing attention to herself, she would have. She sounded like a foal learning their first worlds. Hearing her adult voice talking like a foal sounded so pathetic and was so embarrassing.

Apple Bloom giggled. “Tanks, Twiwigh’.”

Twilight face-hoofed. “Jus caww me Twi.”

“Otay!”

Twilight sighed. It was a shame she couldn’t talk with Apple Bloom normally, but at least she could speak with her.


The rest of the day went by rather much like her world’s Apple Bloom had said the reunions usually went. The older fillies and colts played some games, the adults talked about things that had been happening and the foals all just hung around, doing foal things.

Twilight spent most of her time keeping the foals entertained with levitation magic. She even gave some of them ride through air, to which they all squealed with joy and laughter as they flew around like pegasi.

A Pegasus who happened to be flying by had actually seen the flying foals and nearly fallen out of the sky from shock, which made Twilight and the foals giggle.


As the day started to come to an end, members of the Apple Family started to head off, saying they enjoyed the reunion and wishing Fresh and Pitch luck with their new daughter and that if they ever needed anything to just ask.

The last group to leave were the Apples Twilight knew well, in the vague sense of this world.

Something that puzzled her was that Big Mac, Applejack and Granny Smith gave Apple Bloom big, family goodbye hugs and seemed sad about something.

She nudged Fresh’s forehoof and the mare looked down at her.

Twilight pointed to the family hug, an eye cocked.

Fresh gave a warm smile and leaned down to her level. “Big Mac and Granny Smith have been having trouble looking after Apple Bloom as well as their farm, and she doesn’t like Manehatten, so they asked if we’d take her in.”

“An’ you said “yes”?!” Twilight managed in this world’s language, her eyes wide.

Fresh nodded. “Would you have said “no”?”

Twilight looked down, not meeting her eyes.

No. She wouldn’t have been able to say “no” either. She’d have said “yes” without a second thought if she’d been asked the same thing.

Apple Bloom pulled away from her siblings and grandmother and walked wobbly over to where Twilight and her “parents” were, a sad smile on her face.

Twilight moved forward and hugged Apple Bloom.

Said filly and her siblings and grandmother looked surprised, then smiled.

“Take good care of our littlest Apple, ya here?” Granny Smith said, pulling Fresh into a hug, which the mare returned.

“We will, Granny.” She looked over the elder mare’s shoulder at the red stallion, who looked a little less than his usual stoic self, a sadness clear on his face. “You sure yer gonna be okay, Big Mac?”

The stallion, moved a hoof over his eyes, then nodded. “Eeyep.”

Applejack walked up to Twilight and Apple Bloom, leaned down and smiled warmly at them as the two broke from their hug and looked at the orange mare. “Take care, little sister.” She glanced at Twilight. “You seem mentally older than a normal foal, Twilight. I assume that must be because you’re an alicorn?”

Twilight looked away. She wasn’t sure how to answer that question without lying and, knowing Applejack, even if there were so many differences from the Applejack she knew, she’d catch a lie in an instant.

Twilight’s looking away seemed to give Applejack the answer she wanted though, because she gave a small chuckle and said, “Well then, can I trust you to watch over my sister. You are both family after all.”

It took a second for Twilight to recover from that statement. The idea that she and Apple Bloom and, in turn Applejack, were now part of the same family was something she knew she wouldn’t be used to for a long while.

The Apples said their final goodbyes, along with a final hug each for Apple Bloom, then headed off.

The four ponies watched the three of them until they were out of sight.

Twilight glanced at Apple Bloom and saw had tears sliding down her face, quietly sobbing.

Twilight, not liking to see anypony sad, pulled Apple Bloom into a hug, which the little filly accepted, crying into the lavender mare’s shoulder.

After a few minutes, Fresh bent down, picked the two of them up and carried them inside.

Twilight could’ve easily flown in, but she stayed with Apple Bloom, knowing she should comfort her. It couldn’t be easy, being a little filly and losing your parents and then having to move somewhere else.

She knew how hard change could be. It had taken a while before she’d gotten used to being a princess and having wings, not to mention she was still adjusting to living in this world.

Author's Note:

Here's chapter three at last.

So Twilight can understand everpony, but they still can't quite understand her.

the next chapter will be about Queen Emaryalis coming to Ponyville and learning about the first alicorn to appear in over 5000 years. how will that go i wonder. you'll all have to wait to find out.