• Published 24th Apr 2014
  • 6,018 Views, 151 Comments

Puny Purple Pony: From Padded to Proud - Autum Breeze



Twilight tries to redo her experiment with portals to other worlds. An accident was bound to happen

  • ...
50
 151
 6,018

Chapter 14 - Worlds Unite

Chapter 14

Worlds Unite


___________________________________________________________

“And that’s pretty much everything since I arrived sixteen years ago,” Twilight finished telling the chronicles of her life within the world of the Big Ponies as they sat in the living room of the Apple Family’s farmhouse.

All save Pinkie Pie had sat and listened. Said pink mare was actually taking advantage of her small size and was playing games with the fillies and colt, all four laughing happily as they did so.

All during the tale, Luna sat next to the alternate, much smaller version of her sister, enjoying the company of somepony she’d thought she never would again, even if she wasn’t the same pony.

“So, you and Princess Luna from this world are like sisters now?” Applejack asked, cocking her head. She was laying on her stomach atop a small tabletop, having been helped up.

Apple Bloom was sitting near her and kept staring at her with confusion. “I still can’t believe yer mah sister fr’m the other world,” she shook her head. “Yer so different.”

Twilight nodded in answer to Applejack’s question and looked to the dark Alicorn with a wistful expression. “We’ve been by each other’s side since my friends here and I freed her of Nightmare Moon.”

That was one of the things that left Rainbow stunned. The idea that the her of this universe having been a Wonderbolt was no surprise to her, but the idea that said mare had to retire after her wing got too badly injured? The idea that the her from this world was also Scootaloo's mother had been particularly hard to swallow.

“And you are teaching Sunset Shimmer like Princess Celestia taught you?” Fluttershy asked from the arm of the chair Pitchfork and Fresh sat on.

Twilight nodded, turning to look at Sunset with a warm smile. “I never expected to be a teacher so soon, but I wouldn’t trade a moment of it. Sunset really loves our lessons and she’s greatly improving her magical skills.”

She turned to Celestia, expecting her to be smiling. The white Alicorn, however, wore a mournful expression. “You control the sun of this world?”

Twilight nodded, looking down. “As I said, since this world’s Celestia died banishing Nightmare Moon, I was given the role once Luna was freed. It took time, but I got used to controlling it.”

Rarity seemed to understand what others didn’t, as she wore a similar expression to Celestia. “Twilight, if you control the sun in this world, how can you live in our world?”

Twilight flinched, before her ears went flat and she looked down. “I can’t.”

The room went silent. Even Pinkie and the fillies and colt stopped playing around, staring at the lavender Alicorn.

“Um, could you repeat that?” Rainbow said, making a show of clearing her ear with a hoof. “I must have dust in my ear or something, cos it sounded like you just said you can’t return to our world.”

There was silence again as her answer.

“What? Twilight, you can’t be serious!” Rainbow stood up, her eyes narrowed at her friend. “Our world’s your home! You were born there! You can’t just leave it!”

“And I can’t just leave here, either!” Twilight snapped, turning to the Pegasus, causing her to falter.

“Uh, what?”

Tears were sliding down Twilight’s face, unable to be held back anymore. “I control the sun, Rainbow. Sure, Luna might be able to learn to move both like Celestia did in our world when she had to banish her Luna to the moon, but it would take too long to teach her. The portal would close long before she could master it. Besides,” she looked to the tallest Alicorn present, who was looking back at her with the same expression, “I’m her sister now. I can’t just leave her.”

Rainbow was suddenly torn on how to feel. She felt like Twilight was abandoning her friends, which was against her own stances when it came to loyalty, being the Bearer of the Element, but, at the same time, she knew Twilight couldn’t abandon this world’s Luna either, for the same reasons.

“Not only that,” Twilight looked to the two fillies and colt, shortly before Sunset and Cadance hurried over and hugged her tightly, “I can’t leave them either. I’ve been Cadance’s aunt for so long now and Sunset’s my student and LSBFF. I can’t just abandon them.”

She looked to Pitch and Fresh, both of whom wore similar expressions.

“And Pitch Fork and Fresh Veggies. They’ve become as close to me as Night Light and Twilight Velvet. How can I just leave them like that?”

Celestia looked down, closing her eyes as tears slipped from them.

Luna held the white Alicorn, whilst Twilight was comforted by the young fillies as they cried into each other.

“Twilight?” Pinkie stepped towards her, looking up at the towering Alicorn due to herself being the size of a foal.

After some time, the lavender mare let go of the fillies clinging to her and took a regal posture. Twilight looked around at all her friends and family, from both worlds. She could swear she saw something of a rainbow sheen flash over them, before a flicker blinded her for a moment.

Twilight took a deep breath, waited several moments, then stood up, her expression calm, yet her sadness and heartache shining through.

“I want to return, but my duty to my subjects comes first,” she choked for a moment, before, taking a shuddering breath. “I must stay, for my subjects, for my duties... for my family.”

They all stared, none of them clearly having expected that.

Several moments passed, none knowing what to do. All present jumped when a loud pounding came from the front door.

“Twilight!” Sweetie Belle’s voice came from the other side, followed by more banging. “Twilight, you gotta see this!”

It took several moments for anypony to react, but, after some time, during which Sweetie Belle continued to bang against the door at the same frantic pace; Twilight used her magic to open the door.

As she did, her four friends fell in, forming a pony pile-up on the front mat.

They all stared for several moments at the ponies gathered around the room, each of them staring with wide-eyes at Pinkie, Fluttershy, Rarity and Rainbow Dash respectively.

“Oh boy,” Apple Bloom sighed, shaking her head. “This is gonna be a long day.”

The next few minutes were spent explaining what was going on to the four former Crusaders, each still having their eyes wander towards the foal-sized ponies whom they recognized from their own families.

“So... you’re Twi’s Rainbow Dash, huh?” she asked, still looking a little uncertain as she studied the foal-sized version of her mother, taking particular notice of how both her wings looked perfectly fine and the Cutie Mark that matched the orange pony's.

Dash nodded, though she was looking at Pinkie and the female Cheese Sandwich with a nervous smile.

“Okay, now that that’s all out of the way,” Twilight turned to Sweetie Belle, who had been chatting with Rarity, “why were you banging on the front door, Sweetie Belle?”

Said young mare blinked for a few moments, before her eyes widened with worry. “Oh, yeah! Twilight, there’s a big light coming from the forest. I think it’s the Tree of Harmony!”

That made Twilight, Celestia, Luna, Cadance and the other Bearers all freeze, before Twilight hurried over to the window and, indeed, there was a bright light shining from the Everfree Forest and, even without a map, Twilight could tell it was coming from the same direction as the Tree of Harmony.

Twilight glanced back at everypony, her expression worried, but firm. “Come on, everypony. We need to find out what’s going on.”

___________________________________________________________

“This is so humiliating,” Dash grumbled as she road on Scootaloo’s back as they made their way down the path to the Tree of Harmony.

“Ah dunno, Dash,” Applejack chuckled from atop Apple Bloom’s back. “This is kinda fun, really. How often do our little sisters give us a lift?”

Dash just grumbled some more as the others lightly chuckled, even if only to try and keep themselves from worrying about what they’d soon be facing.


Moments later they’d walked down the stairs by the Castle of the Two Pony Sisters, walked into the cave and stopped. The light was coming from the Tree, somehow shining upward through the rock, into the sky.

Twilight stepped forward, her eyes falling to the box the Tree had grown back when she and the others had returned the Elements. It was the main source for the light. The place her hoof print was, with the words "When one's place is chosen" written above, was glowing brightest of all.

Twilight glanced behind her at her gathered friends and family. Celestia gave a small nod, giving Twilight the extra encouragement she needed.

Twilight stepped up to the box, lifted her right hoof, and placed it on the print. At once the shining light grew even brighter, spreading out from where Twilight’s hoof was to the Tree.

___________________________________________________________

The box in front of the Tree of Harmony suddenly shone with an intense light. The light spread out, upward, the box following suite, passing through the stone, flying out across the sky towards Ponyville and passing into the ground on the edge of the town.

At the same time, the mirror within the Golden Oaks Library was yanked off the wall by an unseen forece, ripping it from the controls Twilight had set up and phased through the wood of the tree.

As well as that, Discord was freed from his stone prison and blinked, wilting. “I hope Celestia isn’t still mad after this.”


Everypony in town stopped whatever they were doing, staring at the shining light just outside their town, wondering what was going on, their confusion rising as a mirror flew through the air, becoming enveloped by the light.

___________________________________________________________

Twilight and the others all stared as the box lifted up into the light, moved upward and passed through the rock.

Seconds later there was a loud rumbling as the ground began to shake.

“Everypony, out now!” Twilight cried, turning and running, everypony moving ahead of her.

When they got out of the cave, Twilight glanced back, before skidding to a halt and shouting, “What in Equestria?!”

Everypony stopped and turned to look as well, only for their eyes to widen and their mouths to hang open.

The Castle of the Two Pony Sisters was shining with the light from the Tree. As they all watched, it rumbled, before lifting out of the ground. Before their eyes, it moved across the sky, heading towards Ponyville.

They all just stood there, staring at where the castle used to sit, but was now just bare space.

After a few moments, Twilight snapped out of her stupor and turned to run. “Come on! We need to find out why the castle’s moving!”

“I’d just settle for why it’s flying!” Rainbow shouted, clinging onto Scootaloo’s neck as they all hurried back down the path.



As they ran they heard the sounds of the citizens of Ponyville screaming and panicking as the castle loomed in the air above their town.

Twilight accessed her magic, pulling everypony with her as she did a teleport into town. They reappeared in the centre, to see the castle floating overhead towards the edge of town.

“Where in the hay is it goin’?” Applejack asked, frowning at the floating castle.

“Duck!” Rainbow’s voice shouted, but it wasn’t the pony on Scootaloo’s back, who wore a very shocked expression at the sound of her own voice coming from anypony but herself.

Not that she had time to think about, as Twilight used her magic to do just as advised. A split-second after she did, a huge plank of wood the size of a door shot over their heads, flying towards the castle.

“What was that about?” Rarity and Sweetie Belle asked in unison.

Moments later, the castle stopped just on the edge of the town and lowered to the ground. There was a blinding flash of light which blinded all.

When it faded, Twilight, Luna, Celestia, pretty much everypony’s jaw dropped. The Castle of the Two Pony Sisters had not only been moved, it looked completely good as new, as if Nightmare Moon had never happened.

However, a group of grunts turned attention away from the castle to the former Crusaders.

Twilight’s eyes widened. All her friends from her original Equestria were the same size as a normal pony in this world. Even Celestia was taller. Heck, she was just as tall as Luna now.

However, if that wasn’t a big enough surprise, Apple Bloom, after getting Applejack off of her, pointed at Twilight with wide eyes. “Twilight, yer Cutie Mark!”

Twilight glanced to her left flank and just saw the same purple star that had always been there.

Applejack shook her head. “She means on yer other flank!”

Twilight cocked an eyebrow and turned, only for her eyes to widen for the umpteenth time that day. On her right flank, instead of the same six-pointed purple star with five white smaller stars had been replaced with a sun exactly the same as Celestia’s Cutie Mark.

Twilight just stared at the mark, her mouth unable to form a proper sentence. “I... uh... guh... wha?”

___________________________________________________________

“It’s the same as it used to be,” Luna said as they walked through the castle.

Though everypony’s attention had originally been on the former flying castle and then Twilight sudden change in her right flank side’s Cutie Mark, it had quickly turned to the group of ponies, most specifically, the white Alicorn that towered over even Princess Luna and had two marks the same as the one on Twilight’s right flank.

Thankfully, everypony knew Twilight’s origins enough to quickly understand, not that it stopped them from asking Celestia if she was taking over for Twi, before asking if she would not because they all loved Twilight as their princess.

Once they’d dealt with that (Luna only just managing to get the paparazzi to keep quiet for the time being) they’d gone inside to investigate.

The castle had been returned to its past glory, all the damage from Nightmare Moon and the wearing down it had received from the elements having been wiped away, leaving it in pristine condition.

“This is simply marvelous,” said as they neared the throne room, glancing at all the walls. “So much inspiration. Oh, I cannot wait to get to my shop and start this year’s new line at once.”

They entered the throne room and gasped. While Twilight and the others had cleaned much of their own world’s Castle of the Two Pony Sisters’ throne room in their own world, it didn’t even come close to the shine and beauty of this throne room, repaired by the power of the Tree of Harmony itself.

For Celestia and Luna, it was like they had only been in the room just yesterday, exact in every detail... except for the door-sized mirror standing between the two thrones, sitting on the wall beneath them.

As they all frowned at it, wondering what was going on, before their jaws dropped as Luna stepped through the portal, a worried expression on her face. However, she seemed to be the same size as Twilight.

Though that look of worry soon turned to shock at the sight of the ponies gathered before her, including herself.

“Sister...” she said, glancing at Celestia uncertainly. “I came to Twilight’s library, having finished earlier than planned, only to see a mirror flying out from within the wood of the tree itself, before Discord appeared next to me, pointing to the edge of Ponyville, where the mirror had gone. And... it might be easier for you to see for yourself.”

She indicated to the mirror, which was obviously a portal to the other Equestria.

Twilight glanced at Celestia, uncertain.

Celestia gave a smile. “I think you are allowed at least to see this, Twilight. After all, I have passed into this world, have I not?”

Twilight looked to the other ponies and nodded. “Only if they can come to.”

Celestia hesitated, then sighed. “I’ll probably be dealing with claims of Giant Ponies for months for this, but, very well, Twilight.”

They all moved towards the mirror. Twilight waited for everypony else to pass through, Derpy and Fluttershy hesitating more than the others, before glancing around at the throne room, then walked through herself.

___________________________________________________________

Unlike before, though she felt time and space bending around her, Twilight felt none of the other uncomfortable feelings that came with the times she’d passed from one world to another.

When her eyes adjusted, they widened. All of Ponyville and Discord were gathered. What shocked Twilight was how they didn’t seem worried about the giant ponies.

When she turned to see why, her mouth dropped open. Pitchfork, Fresh Veggies, Apple Bloom, Derpy, Sweetie Belle, Cheese, Scootaloo, the younger Cadance, Shining Armour and Sunset all looked like they were the same size as any regular pony in front of them.

Twilight looked behind them to find a large stone monument standing behind them, with herself, Luna and Cadance on one side, and Luna, Celestia and Cadance on the other. Between them was a tall mirror, tall enough for anypony to standing in front of.

“What in tarnation is goin’ on around here?” Applejack asked, looking around.

Twilight used the older Cadance’s breathing technique and calmed down, allowing her mind to think. She turned to the Luna from this world.

“Luna?” Both Alicorns looked to her. “You said you saw a mirror flying through the air, one that came from my library?”

The Luna of this world nodded.

“And where did it fly to?”

“Here,” she replied, pointing behind them. “When the light faded, it had grown and was on this strange monument.”

Twilight nodded, closing her eyes as she thought. “Okay. Then that was the mirror I used to open to the portal, and there’s a mirror that works like a portal behind us.” She blinked. “Wait, if that mirror Luna saw was the portal from this world then...” she looked to the others. “Remember that large plank of wood that almost hit us?”

“You mean the one the me from that world warned us to duck from?” Rainbow asked, frowning. “Yeah. What about it?”

“I think that was the door to the farmhouse.” When Twilight’s friends from this world looked at her with confusion, she continued. “The exit portal in that world was the door to the farmhouse. It’s why, when I first went there, I arrived on the front doorstep. But, when I arrived, I was the same size compared to everything else that you all were.”

She turned around and waved a hoof at the monument before them. “I bet the two Trees of Harmony connected our worlds with these two portals, creating the castle in the other world and this monument here.”

Applejack frowned. “That does sound reasonable, Twi... well, reasonable as this can be, anyway, but, how come when we went in that world we were the size o’ foals compared to everythin’ else, yet, when we all came through this one, the ponies from that world seem the same size as normal?”

“Maybe, with the magic from the Trees of Harmony, the now joined portals make you match the size of the world you enter?” Sunset suggested.

Dash blinked at her for a few moments before snorting. “Yep. You’ve certainly been the one teaching her, Twi.”

Twilight grinned sheepishly.

“So, what now?” Fluttershy asked, looking to Twilight. “Will you be staying in our world, or there’s, Twilight?” She blinked, then looked down, not meeting her eyes. “Um, I mean... if you don’t mind my asking?”

Twilight looked around at her friends, then at her big sister, little sister, niece and brother. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

“Even though the two world's are connected, I cannot be this world’s Twilight Sparkle anymore,” she turned to them, smiling. “But I do have a solution to that.”

Author's Note:

and there's chapter three.

Phew, worked my flank off to get this chapter finished on the same day as the previous. Next up, the epilogue.

Wow, feels weird saying that after all this time.



So, i bet none of you saw that coming.

Now, what could Twilight have planned?

You'll have to wait til next time though, and, since it's 4:20pm here, that won't be til next week i'm afriad.

So, until next time, later everypony.