• Published 17th Apr 2014
  • 1,869 Views, 17 Comments

Equestria Wars Episode III: Rise of the Equestrian Empire - sonicdash123



The fate of Equestria now rests in Charming Thunder's hooves as he confronts his father after and put an end to the Lunar Republic for good.

  • ...
43
 17
 1,869

Chapter 10: King Sombra's Redemption

Sombra searched at the bottom of the throne as he slowly waved his saber through the semi-darkness, looking for the red unicorn. "This isn't a game, Charming Thunder," he said angrily.

"I will not fight you," Charming Thunder's voice replied.

"Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends." Sombra continued forward to the firm, shadowy form of Charming Thunder. Charming Thunder snapped his eyes shut as the dark unicorn looked for him. "Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for..." He stopped as an odd tremor resonated through his chest. His eyes gleamed evilly as he looked into Charming Thunder's mind. "Princess Twilight Sparkle. Your love for her gives you strength. But your feelings have betrayed her too. She was wise to try to save the crystal kingdom. Now her failure has been complete." Charming Thunder gritted his teeth as he got angry. "If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will.”

"NEVER!!!!" Charming Thunder shouted as he popped out of the corner and activated his crimson blade. He screamed in anger as he hammered away at the startled dark unicorn. The pair emerged from the underside of the platform and out into the large room towards a long bridge. Sombra was shocked as was brought down to his knees. He reached up to block, but Charming Thunder's blade sliced through his hoof, sending it toppling over the bridge which overlooked the station's central fusion core. As his hoof and his lightsaber fell to the core, Charming Thunder approached Sombra placing his blade at the fallen king's throat. Queen Chrysalis smiled with a twisted, evil grin as she watched from her seat. She laughed as she was amazed with what just happened. She then got up from her seat and flew down the stairs as she laughed.

"Good," she said as she landed at the bottom of the stairs. "Your hate has made you powerful. Now do what you have to do and kill him." Charming Thunder's eyes turned back to normal as he gazed at the remains of his father's hoof. He stopped as his heart twinged as he realized how much like his father he had become. He gulped as he shook the anger from his body, forming the decision that had spent a lifetime in preparation. He closed his eyes and deactivated his lightsaber and hooked it to his belt.

"Never," he shouted. "I'll never turn to the dark side. You've failed, your highness. I am a hero of Equestria. Not a servant to a worthless bug like you." Chrysalis got angry as her glee turned into wrath.

"So be it."

---------------------

Twilight, the group, and several other fighters dashed from the bunker and raced across the clearing. “Move! Move!” Shining Armor shouted as everyone took cover behind the bushes. The huge shock wave knocked them all flat as the bunker exploded in a massive fireball.

---------------------

At the Super Star Destroyer, Octavia quickly flipped the radio. "The shield is down," she said. "Commence attack on the main reactor of the Death Star."

"We're on our way," Spitfire replied as she turned the ship towards the Death Star. "Black group, Gray group, all fighters follow me." She then laughed to herself. “I told you they'd do it!” The freighter along with several fighters followed to the massive superstructure.

---------------------

Charming Thunder remained motionless as Chrysalis stood at the bottom of the stairs, her eyes shooting at the young colt. "You have ruined my greatest achievement." she said. "Months of planning all went down the drain. It looks like I need to teach you some respect. How about we start with...destroying you." Her horn glowed and bolts of green lightning shot across the room to Charming Thunder. He tried to dodge it, but he failed to avoid her attack. As the lightning strike hit him, Charming Thunder let out a piercing scream as he writhed the pain. Sombra slowly got to his hooves and struggled over to the queen's side. "Young fool. I just wanted to make you see the world as I see it. Instead of protecting others from harm." She then shot lightning at Charming Thunder again. Tears spilled from his eyes as he clutched the railing of the bridge. "Your feeble skills are no match for the power I wield. You will now pay the price for defying the queen of the Changelings." As he writhed in agony, Charming Thunder reached up weakly toward King Sombra.

"Father, please," he screamed. "Help me." Sombra looked at his dying son, turned to Chrysalis, then back to his son.

"And now, Charming Thunder, you will die." The lightning from Chrysalis' horn grew brighter, lighting up the dim room as they channeled through the helpless colt's body. Charming Thunder screamed even more louder as she felt the unconceivable pain. As Sombra watched, his eyes shifted back to Chrysalis, who was lauging as she tortured Charming Thunder.

"No," Sombra muttered to himself as he looked backat his son. He then looked back at the queen and screamed, "NOOOO!!!" He jumped in front of Chrysalis' lightning and his horn started to glow. A magic explosion erupted as Sombra blasted Chrysalis out of the window. She let out a scream as she got blown away far away from the Death Star. Sombra collapsed as a rush of wind whipped through the window. Charming Thunder slowly crawled to him and pulled him into his arms and hugged his father's body.

"I always knew that there was good in you, father," Charming Thunder said. "Thank you."