• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 3,578 Views, 38 Comments

Side Effects - Indeliblink



After an odd encounter in the market square, Applejack begins experiencing worrying symptoms and new feelings all centered around a certain bubbly pegasus.

  • ...
11
 38
 3,578

Precursor

"Be back soon, Mr. and Mrs. Cake!" Pinkie Pie called over her shoulder. It was time for the early morning delivery route, a new feature at Sugarcube Corner suggested by Pinkie herself. It gave her the opportunity to interact even more personally (if such a feat was even possible for Pinkie Pie) with and gave the illusion of luxury to the otherwise average and mildly dreary lives of Ponyville's citizens. Plus, when was an opportunity to bounce through all of Ponyville ever a bad thing?

Pinkie sprang from one spot to the next on her erratic path through town, stopping occasionally to ring a doorbell and present a delectable baked good to some frazzled pony who looked as though they'd just won the lottery. Pinkie seemed to have that effect on ponies, she noticed... Whether it was from her contagious perkiness or the scents of the treats in her saddlebags, she'd never know, but it didn't really matter, just so long as everypony was happy.

It was about 9:00 when Pinkie, her official rounds now complete, bounded up to the site of her friend's apple cart. Said pony was just finishing setting up shop for the upcoming day of sales. Applejack waved a hoof in greeting, topping off the last basket with a fresh load of apples, then stowed the rest in her brother's saddlebags; Big Macintosh nodded to Pinkie before heading off to Sweet Apple Acres.

"Mornin', Pinkie," Applejack said with a grin.

"Hey Applejack! I brought breakfast!" Pinkie sang, holding out a tray with a lone muffin, still somehow piping hot, resting on top.

"Aw, shucks, Pinkie, ya didn't have ta do that..." This was the duo's usual routine, almost to the letter. The only difference each morning was the type of muffin she happened to bring by.

"Sure I did! It's an apple muffin! It practically has your name on it, silly!" Pinkie leaned closer, whispering while shooting suspicious glances at passersby. "And it's the last one." Pinkie giggled as Applejack's eyes lit up and she gladly accepted the treat in the form of a large bite out of one side.

"Mm-mm," Applejack mm-ed happily, "you never fail to please, Pinks." She finished off the rest of the treat in another mouthful, just in time for another pony to join their company.

"Pinkie Pie!" A shout came from Ponyville's resident mailmare, Derpy Hooves. The two other ponies present immediately noticed the sense of urgency in her approach.

"What's wrong, Derpy?" The grey pony's walled eyes swiveled every which way, and her wings unfolded and retracted repeatedly, as if in a panic.

"I just came from Sugarcube Corner! I came in to order a muffin, like I do every morning, only you weren't there! And Mr. Cake said you were out delivering stuff, so I told him that was okay and I'd just have to order one from him instead, even though I much prefer talking to you when I order--" The pegasus took a deep gasp of air before continuing, "--and then he told me they had run out of muffins and that you had the last one and you'd taken it out for a delivery and I had to catch you before you gave it away because I can't make it through the day without it!"

As Derpy stood there panting, Applejack felt a growing sense of dread while Pinkie's smile fell from her face. "Oh, I'm really sorry, Derpy. I was delivering the muffin to AJ here, and I already gave it to her!" Applejack winced as the teary golden eyes--or rather, eye--locked onto her.

"Is... is there any left?" Derpy whimpered.

Applejack's ears flattened against the sides of her head, and she swallowed the last of the muffin so she could break the bad news. "N-no, there ain't, Derpy. I'm sorry..." She didn't think of Derpy as helpless, no, far from it; however, that didn't stop the guilt from lancing through her chest that one only feels after stealing candy from a young foal.

"Was it..." Derpy bit her lip, making Applejack's heart squeeze even more painfully. "...delicious?" I must be the biggest jerk in Equestria. Oh please, not the puppy eyes, oh no no no...

True to her element, Applejack nodded regretfully; she averted her eyes, unable to meet the pained gaze before her. "Yes, Derpy. It... it was," she admitted. She licked the corner of her mouth, cleaning it of crumbs, and of the glaring reminder she had just crushed the bubbly mare's spirits. She didn't notice Derpy's widened eyes following the motion, watching the crumbs' path intently as they disappeared into...

And then they kissed.

No, no, wait, scratch that. That's not quite the right way to put it.

Derpy pulled the farmpony close and mashed her lips against hers, searching the inside of Applejack's mouth for any remnants of the muffin she so desperately wanted. Applejack vaguely felt through her utter shock and muffled grunt the sensation of the mailmare's tongue exploring the soft crevices of her cheeks, tracing along them for any small bit of doughy or apple-y goodness that still remained...

Okay, so it was kind of like kissing. At least, that's what it felt like to Applejack (and looked like to Pinkie Pie).

Eventually, Derpy pulled away, a contemplative frown on her muzzle as she smacked her buzzing lips. Her face brightened with a squeal of pleasure, and she bounced in place next to Pinkie, who quickly joined in. "Oh boy, were you right! I'm definitely getting to Sugarcube Corner bright and early tomorrow morning to get in line for one of those!" Her stomach rumbled then, and her cheeks lit up in a light pink hue. "Eh-heh, well, I'm still pretty hungry, so I guess I'd better find something else for breakfast today. I'll see you tomorrow morning, Pinkie Pie!" Upon receiving a quick hug from the pink mare, she took to the skies and flew in the general direction of Sugarcube Corner.

Pinkie turned back to her orange-furred friend, whose mouth remained hung open in the position the grey pegasus had left it with her last touch. Pinkie waited patiently while Applejack, still staring blankly ahead, worked her jaw shut. What in the holy hay just happened?

After a moment of stunned silence, she blinked and cleared her throat.

"...That... was weird." She finally regained control of her eyes, fixing them on her pink friend. "It's not just me--that was weird, right?!"

"I'll say," Pinkie agreed, looking over her shoulder at the retreating form of the pegasus in the distance. "Derpy never orders an apple muffin on Tuesday!"