• Published 2nd Apr 2012
  • 1,124 Views, 28 Comments

When you're Evi L. - Optimistic Pessimist



Who is Lyra really?

  • ...
6
 28
 1,124

In the house of Evi Lyra

Bon Bon stared up at her old house. It looked older then the last time she had been there. The roof seemed grayer. The walls seemed whiter. The grass around it were brown with lack of care. Bon Bon stared at the sign she had put up so long ago.

'Do NOT remove seal. Unspeakable Evil lies within.'

Bon Bon looked around. There was no one around, save for a few birds. She quickly shooed them away.

The mare looked at the door again. The seal was still there, and was still effective. Slowly she walked towards the door. She grasped the handle and turned it.

The door opened without much trouble. Bon Bon stepped in. She took a step into the all too familiar kitchen that she had once baked treats in. She closed the door slowly behind her.

Her ear twitched. She could hear something coming from the attic. Bon Bon slowly walked up the steps.

The noise turned into a voice.

The voice turned into a song.

Bon Bon looked up. She was just under the attic entrance. She could hear a sorrowful cry and a sputtering song.

"It gets so lonely, being evil.

What I'd do to see a smile.

Even for a little while.

And no one loves you when you're evil."

Bon Bon leaned against the wall to catch herself in her sorrow. The voice broke down into an uncontrollable sob.

"I'm lying through my teeth.

Your tears are all the company I need."

Bon Bon looked up to the source of the sound. The sobbing was not just any sobbing. It was as if it was over the death of a loved one. Bon Bon couldn't help but to wipe a tear from her own eye as she steadied herself. Slowly she pulled herself up the steps. Oh so carefully she lifted the entrance to the attic.

She saw the small creature from the nightmare a few days ago. It sat pathetically with its claws lying limp on the floor. Its' sobbing was ever so much louder now that the mare was closer. If it weren't so sad, any other pony could have passed it off for music.

"Lyra?" The creature looked up. "What are you doing here? Are you going to rub in my face how bad I am?" The mare couldn't respond. "Look at me. A crying wretch. Sitting here crying over something I could easily replace. Why?" Bon Bon walked up into the attic and sat down on the entrance. "Manifestation of all things bad. There's no bad here." The creature turned to Bon Bon. Its' eyes were watery with tears and the glowing sign on its' forehead had faded almost completely away. "Why am I crying?"

Bon Bon was speechless. The creature was the manifestation of all things evil in this world and yet;

It laid there pathetically. Almost like a beaten dog.

Bon Bon set down her bag of treats. "You know, I heard you singing." Evi looked up. "You did?" Bon Bon nodded. "Yes I did. It was sadder then anything I have ever listened to." Bon Bon proceeded to unwrap her bag of treats. "The Devil told me all about an attachment any given Evil could have." Bon Bon opened the bag. Evi stared at the plate of treats.

"I cooked these earlier today. I didn't even notice that I cooked them. It was almost as if it was a habit to cook Raspberry Cherry Strawberry treats even if I didn't have any orders for them." Bon Bon slid the platter of treats over to Evi. "Then I remembered that it was your favorite."

Evi looked down, then looked back up. Astonishment as clear on its' face.

"The mayor told me that she heard these awful noises coming from this house. Everypony said the same thing. I didn't hear anything of that sort. All I could've heard was that song." Bon Bon rubbed her leg. "I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with the attachment, or if it's just me. I do know one thing. I miss it."

Evi looked at Bon Bon. It looked down to the floor as its' eye began to water. "Why? Why are you doing this?" Bon Bon sighed. "I don't know. I think maybe it's because I miss Lyra." Evi looked up. "But I'm Lyra." Bon Bon shook her hoof.

"Not Evi Lyra Heartstrings," Bon Bon edged slowly to Evi.

"I miss Lyra Heartstrings." Bon Bon put a hoof the Evis' shoulder.

"I miss the fun loving unicorn that loves practical jokes. I miss the unicorn that would go jogging on her hind legs. I miss the Lyra that ate fries."

Evi looked up to Bon Bon. "You miss Lyra?"

She nodded. "Yes. I miss Lyra. Lyra Heartstrings."

Evi fell onto Bon Bon. "I'm so sorry! How could you forgive me?"

Bon Bon patted Evi on the back. She sang in the silken voice of an angel.

"I'll do it all for free;

Your tears of joy are all I'll ever need."

Evi looked up to Bon Bon. The Evil looked down, hiding sobbing tears. A barely audible 'Thank you' could be heard. Bon Bon simply smiled.

She suddenly jerked. "Ow!"

Evi instinctively pulled back. "What?"

Bon Bon pointed to Evis' hand. It looked down to its' razor claws. Evi stared in surprise.

"Hehe. Oops. We're still cool right?"

Bon Bon stopped. She started to laugh. "Of COURSE we're cool!" Bon Bon started to laugh out loud. Evi stared in confusion. But fairly soon she started laughing too. Pretty soon they were laughing together.

And they loved every minute of it.