• Published 2nd Apr 2014
  • 7,880 Views, 478 Comments

Of a German and American soldier in Equestria - redspark



World War II is at its end, but what happens when an American officer and a German private end up in Equestria?

  • ...
27
 478
 7,880

Where are we?

Chapter 2
Where are We?

“Mmm… I guess you aren't from around here…” The cartoon pony said, for it LOOKED like a cartoon. In fact, after Davis thought a little longer about it, everything around looked like one of those cartoons, only that in color. Still, they looked much more realistic. He stared dumbfounded at it. He opened his mouth and closed it again. Louis was doing no better. He seemed taken aback by the pony talking and his eyes were as open as any eyes could be. Even then he was the one that spoke.

“N-no, ve are not.” He said slowly. The German accent was the one that snapped Davis out of his surprised trance. He nodded slowly after looking at Louis slightly. The pony seemed not better in digesting the situation.

The pony seemed to be taking really slow breaths and its wings and ears were pointing upwards. Her eyes had shrunk and her feet were trembling slightly. She, because it had a she-voice, nodded also.

Her mane and tail was yellow, and her coat a light grey. Her eyes were a golden color, but what made him look at them on the first place was that they were not on the same position as normal eyes. One was looking the wrong way, which confused a little Davis. Also, there was one curious thing in her that made him even more surprised: she had WINGS, which made Louis immediately remember a book he had read once about mythological creatures. This pony was a Pegasus, taken from Greek mythology, and, still, it was standing in front of him. He now didn´t know what confused him more. The fact that he was someplace he completely didn't recognize, that he was side by side an American and were not killing each other, there was a cartoon pony or that it was a Pegasus. His head began to hurt, which surprised him because not even in the middle of the battlefield with all the tanks and bombs and rifles shooting he never had headaches.

Davis looked around, now looking a little less shocked. At least he was getting on with the initial shock if all.

“Mmm… May you be kind as to tell me where are we?” He asked. The pony gulped.

She obviously had never seen a human before, which Davis soon noticed looking at her eyes scanning from head to toes each of them. She ended on his eyes. She immediately dropped her gaze, trying to stop eye contact. Davis sighed. It would probably take a lot to make her talk. He was about to talk again when she spoke.

“Err… you´re beside the Everfree forest… not far from Ponyville.” She said it pretty quietly, Davis was surprised he had actually heard it. Still, the answer was of no use. It hadn't told him anything, apart that they were close to a town.

“I mean, which country, or…” The thought had already crossed his mind, but it seemed ridiculous to even think about it. It was impossible!!! “…or which planet or land.” He almost laughed at himself for asking that question. It sounded so dumb.

Still, the pony seemed to understand.

“Ohh!” She blushed slightly. “You're in Equestria… don't know what you mean by ´planet´ though.” Davis nodded. Yep, he had been an idiot asking that.

But at least now he knew where he was.

He was in a non-existent country, or land, or whatever this god-forsaken place it was.

He sighed and looked at Louis beside him. He was also processing the newly-acquired information. He didn't seemed pleased.

“Vhat do you mean by Equestria? That doesn't exist!” He exclaimed. The pony shrank at his sudden outburst. Davis walked over to him angrily.

“And just what do you think you are doing?” He asked angrily at the German. Louis seemed surprised by Davis´ accusation.

“Well, she just told us something illogical. We aren't in such a place. It doesn't exist!” Davis pushed him back softly.

“You're scaring her, and she´s the only creature here that we've seen so far. What do you think she'll think of us if the very first thing she knows is that you got angry about something she said without any reason?” He said. Louis took in the information.

“Okay. Sorry…” that´s when he realize he had just apologized to an American. He looked at Davis with hostile eyes. Still, he pushed him softly and walked over to the now-cowering-behind-her wings pony.

“Hey, I´m sorry for screaming. I just have never heard of Equestria before and I didn´t thought before shouting.”

The pony peeked out of her wings and looked at Louis. She slowly stood up again. She nodded, although her feet were now shivering more strongly.

“You said there was a town nearby?” Davis asked. The pony nodded. “Could you take us there?” She looked at him for a second.

“Yes.” She said. Apparently Davis´ new attitude seemed to be making her feel more comfortable. The American smiled.

“I´m Officer Davis, by the way. He´s Private Louis.” He pointed at the German.

“My name is Derpy, Derpy Hooves.

“Nice meeting you miss. Could you lead the way?” She nodded, now her fear almost completely gone from her face.

“Of course.” She said, smiling faintly. She waited for Louis to walk over and she walked in the town´s direction. Both soldiers followed Derpy as she made her way through some small hills. In less than a minute they were overlooking a colorful town.

To Davis it was just TOO colorful.

She kept walking as the two stopped to look at the town of Ponyville. Soon they returned to her side. Derpy stopped in front of the town, letting the two see it up close.

“Welcome to Ponyville!” She said happily. Davis smiled as he noticed no trace of fear from the grey Pegasus. That was good, now they had someone that could help them with the locals.

“It is…” Louis said, not quite finding the words for it. He eyed everything around. His face was something pretty funny to look at, at least if Davis wasn't so sure his own looked almost the same.

“Yes, it is a very beautiful town, isn't it?” Derpy said happily. Davis disagreed. It was just too… too colorful, and too much pink in it. God, he hated pink soooo much!

Davis looked at Derpy and Louis. Derpy was smiling as she noticed the two soldier´s impressions of surprise at the town. Louis was in complete shock. He obviously hadn't expected this.

“So Derpy, care to show us where we can find anyone that could help us find our way out of…” He stopped. Maybe he shouldn't tell her they were not from this land? Might it frighten her? Who knew, it was possible she already had it worked out that they were not from Equestria after all.

“…Some one that can help you in returning to whichever place you´re from? I know just the pony!” She said. Davis looked surprised at Derpy. She had really worked everything out.

“What? It was obvious at the way you look around, seeming completely lost and confused. I´ve seen that face lots of times, only not… well, not in other thing that´s not a pony.” She said.

Davis nodded. “Yes, I understand. I have not seen any other creatures able to speak apart from other humans such as myself or him.” He looked at the town. He checked that all his equipment was there. “Care to lead the way?” Derpy nodded and the three were soon moving across the colorfully-bothering town.

As they passed beside a bakery the two soldiers stopped. Derpy kept walking until she noticed them. She then stopped also.

The building was also pretty colorful, but what really caught the soldiers´ attention was the smell. The two had not eaten anything with such a smell in years! They looked at a pony leaving the bakery. She saw at the two staring at her and immediately went running away, screaming.

“O my, do we really look that bad?” Davis asked aloud. Louis shrugged. Derpy walked over to them.

“I don´t think you have any bits?” The two looked at her confused. She chuckled and took out four bits, giving each one two. “Here, each one is a bit. You buy it with that. I´ll go with you so you know what to do.”

Davis took the small golden coins. Was it gold? He bit it slightly as his teeth made a small mark. Yes, it was. He saw Derpy look at him curiously.

“I did it to see if it was gold.” He said on his defense. Derpy nodded slowly.

“Ooookaaay… Follow me!” She said. The two followed her inside.

The sweet air of bread overflowed their nostrils as they walked to the counter. There, a pink pony was attending a customer. The two soldiers heard gasps of surprise as they made their way through the shop, but they ignored them. Finally they made it to the counter. The pony paying turned round and immediately shrank at the sight. She took her bags and ran out. Davis sighed. They stopped in front of the counter and Davis expected the pink pony to hide away or something, instead she gasped in surprise, but not like on an scared way, but rather in a surprised-yet-happy way. She immediately jumped up and fell behind them.

“You're new to Ponyville!” She exclaimed. She then somehow appeared next to Louis. “My name’s Pinkie Pie, and yours?!” She said half-shouting. Louis covered his ears. Pinkie jumped around, expecting the answer.

“I am Officer Davis, he´s Private Louis.” He tried to keep the pony on sight. How she managed to move so fast he had no idea.

“Nice to meet you.” She said. Davis stared in surprise at Pinkie. She had technically returned to where she was before behind the counter, but without really going to it. Last he remembered, she was jumping behind him.

All her jumping was causing some ponies to look into the store. Some simply opened their eyes wide at the sight of the soldiers while others stared dumbfounded. Inside the ponies tried to ignore the new creatures inside, although they made it obvious it was very difficult for them. Some took a peek or two at them, only to quickly go back to staring at their food.

“How did you…?” Davis and Louis asked simultaneously. “How did you got there so fast??” Davis finished.

“Walking silly!” She said happily. “Oh, hey Derpy!” she said noticing the Pegasus. The two soldiers looked at each other in confusion. That was something strange.

Louis stopped looking at the creepy pink pony when he realized something. She didn´t had wings. After peeking quickly at her to confirm it, he scanned the rest of the store. There was also another pony with a horn. A HORN, like a UNICORN! The ponies he looked at quickened their pace.

He decided it was just too much. This got to be a dream. He needed to wake up.

He walked over to a table and hit himself hard in the head with it. Davis noticed, as well as Derpy and Pinkie and the ponies around.

“What are you doing?!” Davis asked walking over.

“I'm vaking up. This isn't real. You're not real, they aren't real, these…” He said, extending his hands. “…isn't real.” He prepared to hit himself when Davis stopped him.

“Look, I know this seems unbelievable, but it IS real. Now, stop acting weird or I will confirm my thoughts about Germans being complete idiots.” Louis shrugged as he stopped leaning on the table and walking to the counter were Derpy had bought them two a piece of cake.

“Here, take this.” She said, handing them the cakes. The two took them and began to eat. Immediately their faces lit up. They had not eaten a cake in years, and even then this was by far the BEST they had ever tried in their lifetimes. The cake was soon in their bellies. Derpy watched them eat it smiling to herself.

When they were done they walked out of the bakery. Pinkie watched them go and waved them goodbye. The two made it like if they had not seen her, trying to look around. Soon they had left the bakery behind.

Derpy smiled. “You liked it, didn´t you?” Davis nodded. Louis didn't made any gesture, but rather remained looking forward.

“Yes, pretty good I must confess.” Davis said. Louis seemed slightly bothered by what he said. “What?” Davis asked angrily after noticing that. Louis shrugged and kept walking. Davis sighed and kept walking, not looking at Louis.

Finally Derpy stopped. “Here we are! The Ponyville library, home to princess Twilight Sparkle.” She said proudly pointing at a hollowed tree with a building on its interior. The two stared surprised at it. To Davis, what a surprising and admirable and… big tree. An it´s not pink… almost. To Louis, that is weird and… well, just weird.

“Wait, you said Princess Twilight Sparkle? Does that really means a princess lives there??” Davis asked. Louis paid attention to that.

“Yes, one of our four princesses.” Derpy said. Davis gulped.

“But wouldn't it be… rude for us to go and knock in her… tree?” The American asked. Derpy laughed.

“Not at all, in fact, I think she'll be thrilled to meet you!” Davis nodded and approached the big tree house. Louis and Derpy followed. He knocked the door and soon heard footsteps approaching. He gulped anxiously as the door opened revealing the interior and whoever lived inside…

Author's Note:

So a new chapter is out. I hope you like it, as I made it in total FOUR TIMES in order to get it right. I wrote two which just didn´t convinced and so I started over and another one which was just THE WORST EVER and finally this one. I´d like to thank a lot PattonsArmy for giving me his opinions of this chapter, he really helped me in perfectioning this chapter, as well as SSworks who as always has been supporting me with my fanfics.

I hope you all liked it!

Also I´m still looking for pre-readers to help me. If anyone is interested please let me know by PM.