• Published 2nd Apr 2014
  • 7,880 Views, 478 Comments

Of a German and American soldier in Equestria - redspark



World War II is at its end, but what happens when an American officer and a German private end up in Equestria?

  • ...
27
 478
 7,880

Canterlot

Chapter 5

Canterlot

The doors opened wide, revealing what was inside. It was a big room with a pair of doors one beside the other. One was golden and the other dark blue. A golden chandelier hung from the middle of the ceiling. There was a huge window looking out to a balcony that overlooked the city. Davis guessed they were in one of the towers.

Louis was more interested in knowing who opened the door. Surprisingly, the doors had opened on their own. As Twilight and her friends looked around, probably confused themselves, he went over to the door and began to inspect it. How had it opened for itself?

He turned as the sound of a door being opened reached his ears. The golden door was opening as a white pony entered the room. Louis wasn't sure what struck him more about that pony; that she was taller than the rest of the ponies or her multi colored mane that seemed to be floating like if there was no gravity. He saw the ponies kneel, so he followed.

"Don't worry about formalities right now. We have important things to discuss." She said. Her voice sounded kind, but there was a worry in it. It was obvious something was wrong.

"Of course princess." Twilight said.

The princess opened her mouth to say something. Her eyes passed over Louis and Davis. She stopped.

Louis bowed again as did Davis.

"You must be the... the Humans Twilight spoke about in the letter." She said. Davis and Louis nodded. "I'll talk to both of you soon to see about your... Problems and questions. Now I need to see something with Twilight." She turned to everypony. "I'm afraid alone."

The ponies nodded slowly and began to leave. Davis and Louis went after them. As the door closed though, Celestia spoke.

"Maybe not you..." Twilight said something to the princess. "...Davis. I would like to know some things about your world." Davis looked confused but remained inside. Louis seemed a little bothered but nevertheless left. The door closed soon after that.

"Come, take a seat." The white princess said appearing a small table with four chairs. Davis nodded as he walked slowly and sat on the chair. He found that the chair seemed to be of a better size for him than the one on Princess Twilight's library. He waited politely.

"What is it that you called for me, princess." Twilight asked. Celestia sighed, her smile fading away.

"I'm sorry to ask you to come on such short notice, but this are urgent matters that require immediate attention..." The sound of doors being opened interrupted her as the blur doors opened, letting a dark blue pony into the room. The pony was taller than other ponies just like Celestia and her mane was also floating, her mane colors were light dark blue and dark blue with spots of white lights dancing around as it moved,

"Sorry for taking longer sister, I seemed to have fallen asleep." She said, sitting down. That's when she noticed Davis and immediately stopped. "W-what is that?"

Davis opened his mouth but Twilight spoke first. "He's Davis, a human. I believe you know by the letter I sent Celestia." Luna nodded slowly, gaining her composure back.

"Yes, I remember, though I didn't expected him to be like that. I'm sorry for my reaction." She said sitting down.

"No problem princess..." He said, asking for the name.

"Luna, I'm princess Luna, Celestia's sister." Luna said.

"Oh, alright." Davis was curious about why the rulers were called princesses instead if kings, or in this case, queens.

Celestia cleared her throat. "We must not get distracted. Something important is going on." That caught the attention of everypony and everyone present.

Luna nodded in agreement.

"I'm afraid to announce Twilight that..." Celestia stopped. She turned to Luna. Both had pained faces.

'Ohh... This can't be good.' Davis thought.

"Equestria..." Luna began.

"...is at war."

* * * * *

Louis stared out through a window looking at the tumultuous capital. He had become bored after the first ten minutes of waiting and the ponies had been talking to themselves, so he had gone to look around. He had recently stopped at the window. As he was about to turn and walk away when he heard someone calling his name.

"Louis!" The cyan mare he had seen with Twilight said, flying up to him. The German soldier waited for her to catch up to him (which wasn't long, considering the speed in which she was flying towards him.) the mare landed beside him.

"Yes?" Louis asked. He didn't remembered the mare's name. They had been presented to each other, but he hadn't really paid attention to the names.

The mare looked him closely in the eye, flying up to his size. "I came to see that you didn't cause any disturbance the palace she said, looking accusingly at Louis. The German maintained a stern face, not revealing any emotions. As much as these... ponies were trying to help he didn't really trusted them. They seemed just... too kind.

"Really, I vas not even thinking of doing such a thing." He crossed his arms. As he did so he felt the weight of his rifle strapped to his back. He smiled slightly, feeling that he had at least means of defense.

The cyan Pegasus nodded slowly and landed again. "Also, I was curious about you. You said you are a soldier?" Louis nodded. "What is... being one, a soldier I mean, like." Louis looked confusedly. "I mean, fighting and... and all that."

Louis scratched the back of his head. "Why do you vant to know?" He asked. The Pegasus shrugged.

"You know, just, curious. That's all." She said, trying to look casual. Louis sighed.

"Okay, it's... It's bad. I don't think I ever thought of how horrible it vas until I went to fight at the front. I mean, if It had just been quick and clean deaths I wouldn't think this, but... but they vere not." Louis said, looking at the window. His gaze seemed lost. "I don't think you really vant to know." He finished slowly. The pony nodded slowly.

"O-okay." She said. She turned around. "I'll let the girls know I found you." She prepared to fly. "I'm Dash by the way." Louis looked at her surprised. "I saw you were not paying attention when they introduced us. Just, so you know..." She leapt into the air and flew away fast through the halls. Louis remained still for some seconds until a small smile began to form on his face. He turned around.

Maybe they weren't bad after all...

* * * * *

Twilight's mouth opened wide as she heard those words.

"W-what?" She asked slowly, trying to process what she had just heard. Louis was looking at the princesses, surprised as well.

Celestia sighed. "We are at war, Twilight." She repeated sadly. The lavender Alicorn shook her head.

"No, but... we can't be at war! There must be something wrong with that and..." Luna moved her hoof up, silencing Twilight.

"It's done Twilight. There is nothing we can do to stop it." The lunar princess said sadly.

"Whom is it that you at war against, if I can know?" Davis asked politely. The princesses looked uncertain. Twilight because she wanted to know was well and the two princesses for... Some unknown reason.

Celestia answered. "The changelings." Twilight looked confused.

"What do you mean by 'the changelings'? Weren't we already against them?" Twilight asked. "I mean... they were defeated after Canterlot."

Luna shook her head. "Apparently Chrysalis wasn't the only big changeling queen. Not even close." She looked at a window. "They attacked Griffonia three weeks ago and only a week ago where we were told. Apparently these are not changelings like chrysalis', but rather stronger and better equipped. They are seeking war, the conquest of all kingdoms, and apparently..." she sighed. "The southern kingdoms are already under their rule. It was a fast attack that stopped when reaching Griffonia. Four entire territories taken by the force in less than a few days."

Celestia looked at Twilight. "There is another difference from Chrysalis' changelings and those."

"What is it?" Twilight asked.

"The difference, Twilight, is that they will kill to reach their goal." Luna said. Twilight gasped.

"But a war has been unheard off for..."

"Hundredths of years, yes, we know." Celestia said. "But it began, and no matter how much we wish it doesn't, it is happening."

Davis heard the exchange with a mixture of surprise, pity and anger. How could some race make a war on such a seemingly peaceful place?

"We are preparing our troops for the war. As you well know, we have not had an army in two hundredth years." Celestia said. Twilight looked down. It was too much to take on, at least about war.

Davis cleared his throat. "Ehm, excuse me... princesses, if I may..." Celestia nodded. "Alright. Why am I here in the first place? Why I didn't waited outside?"

Celestia seemed to remember. "Oh! Right, sorry. Twilight said that you were a soldier, correct?" Davis nodded. "How good are you on strategy?"

Davis scratched his chin. "I... Know pretty much. I've studied strategy since I was a boy, specially due to my father, he... he was a general back in the Great War on my world."

Celestia smiled. "Would you help our generals, they are... Inexperienced in any form of combat, or what they know is just by reading and not actually putting it on good use." Davis seemed surprised.

"You mean, suggest them things?" Davis asked.

"No, tell them what to do. As I said, they don't know what to do. They are already thinking that they won't have to do anything but that the griffons will defeat the enemy." Celestia said.

"But won't that be true?" Luna asked.

"No, they asked us for help. They are slowly falling back to their capital in retreat." She said.

Both Twilight and Luna gasped.

"What?!" They said in unison.

"Why, are the griffons really good soldiers?" The three princesses nodded.

"They've been fighting since their beginning. There's nothing better to them than a glorious battle." Luna said.

"Then that leaves only one conclusion." Davis said.

"And what is that?" Celestia asked.

Davis sighed. "The enemy has probably better strategies, or more men, or simply better equipment. In some ways they are beating the best warriors of the world, am I right?" Celestia nodded. "Always know your enemy, don't underestimate him or it won't only cost you the battle, but the war as well."

"Those are wise words." Luna said.

Davis smiled. "My father used to tell me that a lot, but he said that other people before him had said them first." He looked at his rifle. "I think we need to know first about their advantages before we jump to a war."

Celestia nodded. "I'll notify the general council that you are going to be joining them."

Davis bowed, asking himself why he had accepted helping them. Not that he was planning on staying... or was he?

"Let the others pass, Twilight. I'd like to speak with the other human alone." Twilight nodded.

"Wait." Davis said. "The other one is German, his people caused the worst war humanity has seen and we are at war thanks to them right now. You shouldn't be left alone with him!" He realized he was showing his anger more than he would have liked.

Still, Celestia had not done any sign to show any reaction at his words. "I'm sure he'll not do anything bad, and even if he tried I'm sure I can manage." Davis nodded slowly and walked out of the room as the ponies entered. "Wait, where is Louis?" He asked out loud.

Rainbow Dash answered. "He's that way!" Before the door closed. He wasn't sure if to be surprised about the trust they had in him, or the fact that the German was roaming the palace unguarded. He sighed and went off to look for him.

* * * * * *

Louis walked through a hallway full of paintings. He looked at them in awe, which was something he always felt when looking at paintings. He was surprised that people actually painted that. It just seemed too good to be true.

He prepared to move on when a flash of light blinded him for a second. When he looked again he saw that the white princess was standing there.

“Princess.” he said, bowing. The princess smiled.

“No need for that right now, I think we need to talk about something…”