• Published 2nd Apr 2014
  • 7,880 Views, 478 Comments

Of a German and American soldier in Equestria - redspark



World War II is at its end, but what happens when an American officer and a German private end up in Equestria?

  • ...
27
 478
 7,880

The battle of Las Pegasus part 2

Chapter 18
The battle of Las Pegasus part 2

The sun slowly drifted down as the storm clouds began to disperse. Night began to fall rapidly, with the gleaming stars showing once in a while in between the clouds. The silence that filled the great south plains of Las Pegasus seemed to hide the fact that the Equestrian army was there. Even Las Pegasus was eerily silent, mostly due to the recent battles fought outside the city.

The news of the engagement between Equestrian troops and changelings seemed to have reached the city somehow, since there were no lights announcing important events or loud music, which was normally heard even on the far-off equestrian army camp.

The moon rose up in the night sky, the clouds now well dispersed. The light of the stars shone brightly in the sky, now with the sun gone completely.

In the ground on the first fortified hill of the equestrians, ponies moved around silently and whispered with each other. No shout nor loud voice was heard in it, and the strongest sound came from the wheels of a couple of carts that were pushed around carrying from food and supplies for the troops to medical supplies. Three special medical carts were taking the wounded to the main camp to be treated there and, if needed, to be sent to the city of Las Pegasus for intensive treatment. The dead were taken to the side and were being loaded to another special covered cart that was to take them to the main camp and the to their families.

It was that specific cart that Davis was watching. He was eating an apple that he had just taken from one of the food ones and was now thinking. He was waiting for the status report of the army, which included how many dead, wounded or missing. He also wanted to know how many more arrows they had if the troops were in good state to keep fighting. It wasn't that he was thinking on leaving the battle, but he wanted to know how the ponies felt after the engagement with the bugs.

He heard somepony cough behind him, obviously trying to get his attention. He turned and saw a pegasus messenger. The pony saluted and gave him a letter. Davis took it and saluted back. The messenger left.

Davis opened the letter and began to read it. It was the status report signed by Golden Flame. Davis looked over it intently.

He finished and looked around, sighing. At least he hadn't lost many to the hands of death.

He wrapped the paper and placed it on one if his pockets. The light night breeze seemed slightly salty, probably due to their closeness to the sea. It was just a few miles to the west.

He began walking around, checking on his troops. There were a couple if fires around with ponies clustered around. He approached one in which he saw Golden Flame. He stopped once he was beside them, but didn't entered the circle. He began to hear what they were saying.

"...and then he simply laughed," a white earth pony said. "It was creepy as tartarus, I will never get over what I saw back there..." The pony's ears dropped slowly. All around, ponies nodded silently and grim faces seemed to overshadow everything else. Golden Flame was looking around the ponies, completely unsure of what to do and his face suggested concern and uncertainty. Davis knew that ponies would be shocked by their first battle, but this looked... worse than he had imagined. He was about to enter the circle when a light blue earth pony began to speak.

"Yeah, it's horrible, but... Aren't we fighting for something good? I know we all saw things... horrible things, but that doesn't mean we need to stop that from us doing our duty." He seemed to stand tall over his comrades. Slowly, everypony around seemed to rise as that earth pony spoke. His voice rose high over the gathered troops and earned a smile from Davis. The american felt happy to see that some ponies knew what their job was, and he was glad he wasn't alone on working to help the troop's spirits rise up. He saw as the pony went and placed his hoof in the middle. He knew what was coming, but how it happened, surprised him.

Every single pony gathered stood up and placed their hoofs beside his. Golden Flame did the same, and soon ponies around, after seeing the scene, went to join as well. Davis considered joining, but he felt comfortable from where he was.

Instead, he walked away from the lights and to the command tent. He wanted to see the maps once more, to clear up his mind.

Once he was back inside his tent, he collapsed into the only chair and laid down on the small table that had the map on it. He felt the pressure of leading an army fall on him rapidly. He felt it was too much. Give him to command five hundred against five hundred and not in a major move, not that hard. Give him one thousand against five thousand and on a vital defense in which the fate of the country depended on? Way much harder.

He looked up at the map once more and began to look around.

He saw the main hill in which he and his troops were stationed at the moment and the other six fortified positions before getting to main camp and then the city. A total of a little more than a mile. He hoped that they could stop the enemy before reaching the third position. He preferred to take less time on that battle, but he knew that it wasn't going to be easy. He had learned that the enemy seemed to be thinking a little more than he would have liked, and the wait he was having now of a couple of hours without an attack indicated that the next one would be harder to fight off. He feared that they'd need to push back all the way to main camp and then the city.

The least thing he wanted was to fight in the city.

By experience he knew that fighting inside cities was harder than in open fields, and then he'd have to count civilians and attempt to evacuate the city.

No, the changelings couldn't reach the city. He needed to stop them before getting to that point.

He moved lightly his hand over the map, looking at the little notes he had made ranging from the altitude of the land to the possibilities of cover and supplies. He saw the fourth position as a good one to stop the enemies if they were pushed back hard.

Fourth position was a tall hill, much taller than the one they were in, and had the front and left sides protected by a small ravine. It was going to make earth attacks hard, if not impossible, to the enemy. That would only leave little part of the front and the back open for attacks. He knew that the enemy wouldn't attack in the back, but the right and the little part of the front that was open was obviously going to be the goal of the enemy. Maybe even attempt to fly over the gorge.

Davis began to consider moving to that position without waiting for the enemy to attack them. The problem would be that then the enemy would use their movement of position as an advantage and attack almost immediately. He needed to move his troops without the enemy knowing it, but how?

He was pondering on that question when he heard somepony calling outside.

"Yes?" he asked.

"It's me, Golden Flame, Davis."

Davis smiled. Just the pony he wanted to see.

"Come in!"

The pegasus captain entered the tent slowly and looked around cautiously. There was something on his look that unnerved Davis a little.

"What is it, Golden Flame?" Davis asked. "Is there something wrong?" Golden Flame didn't answered right away, but rather waited a couple of seconds.

"Yes sir. We are hearing reports of enemy movements around. In small groups, but I'm not sure what to think of that."

Davis scratched his chin as he began to think what could the changelings want. For what he knew, they could only be moving around and try to attack the morale of his troops. On another sense, they could be positioning themselves for an attack. That quickly worried the American.

"Send a couple of scouts around to report me the positions of those changeling groups. It could be just unimportant moves by the enemy, but one can never be too sure." Golden Flame nodded and walked outside. Davis sighed and leaned back against his chair and the armrest. Hopefully the attack wasn't coming soon.

He looked around and saw his equipment. His rifle was laying beside himself, and the gun was on its holster, strapped to his belt. He had a small number of grenades as well and his combat knife. He had no longer his cap, but he wasn't really sorry for that. He was more worried on other matters.

He strapped his sword on to his belt and placed his rifle on his back. He looked at the map once more and then walked outside. He saw the the sun was beginning to rise. A new day. Luckily the enemy hadn't attacked at night. That would not have ended up good. He then realized that he had not slept anything.

Well, he'd have plenty of time to sleep once that battle was over.

He looked around the troops. They didn't looked as hopeless as he had seen them barely an hour ago, but rather he could even see hope in their faces. he saw determination, and that brightened up his spirit. If his troops were ready to do what was necessary to win, he was sure that winning was going to be much easier.

He moved around once more, making sure all his troops were ready for the next fight. Many seemed happy to see their general, and he felt his heart warm up when many smiled at him. He also spoke to many, asking how they were and if they were ready for the next battle. He asked some about their families, and he was greeted with many smiles on ponies as they told him all about their families. He also came to realize how much these ponies were fighting for. Many were parents, or had mare-friends. He even met one or two that had engaged with a mare before departing to the war. He met one that his father ran a factory that was producing materials for the war, one that worked in a plow field, one that was a writer, a journalist, and the list just went on and on. He met ponies from las Pegasus all the way to Manehattan.

As more and more ponies met their general, he began to feel warmer between his troops. He had never known what it felt to be respected and loved by his men, or ponies in this case, but he learned that once he asked ponies more personal questions, about their families and such, they seemed to get more open than how he had seen them first and they'll even begin to consider him their friend. He tried to keep the rank for other more official circumstances, but knowing his troops proved to not only raise his troops' spirits, but his' as well.

He was helping a pony move a bunch of arrows around when a scout pony landed right in front of him, almost causing him to fall over. He was about to tell the pony to look around before landing before he saw he was a scout.

"Sir! Reporting as ordered in case we noticed strange or suspicious enemy movement!" the pony exclaimed. Davis nodded.

"Go ahead soldier. Report."

The pony looked around and then back at Davis. "They are moving towards us from a couple of positions. They are not moving in large groups, but rather in small twenty or thirty changeling groups. They seem to be holding some type of strange large shields over them." He looked at the arrows. "I'm afraid they're thick enough to stop our volleys, sir."

Davis didn't said anything and instead walked to the side of the hill and looked down.

Indeed changelings were moving in smaller groups and carrying their large weird shields. They seemed to be large tree trunks placed together into large shields. capable of covering at least six changelings below them. He turned to the archery captain.

"Prepare your ponies to fire. We'll see how thick that cover is, and if the arrows manage to cause damage, as small as it is, we'll still shoot. If the shields manage to hold off our bolts... we'll see what to do then."

The captain nodded and began to shout orders around.

"Archers on position! Prepare to fire at my signal!" Archers began to move around. Shouts as ponies moved to prepare for the fight filled the entire hill. Once the archers were ready, the signal was given.

"Archers, ready!" The sound of bows being strung filled for a couple of seconds the camp. "Aim!" the captain shouted. "Fire!" WIth a downward motion, the captain's sword slashed down signaling his archers to fire. instantaneously, hundreds of bolts went away. Davis watched as the black bolts whistled through the air and towards the groups of enemies. At last they hit, immediately quenching Davis' hope that they could make it with the archers.

Not a single arrow had made it through the shields. Yes, one or two changelings fell down, but it was obvious nothing was going to be achieved by keeping the archers firing but waste bolts.

Just as the captain was about to order a second volley, Davis stopped him.

"No! Don't waste our arrows. They are not making any effect. We'll need another way..." He began to look around. "Prepare shields and pikes! We'll meet them hoof to hoof!" Ponies began to make charging lines. "Sword ponies, prepare to attack once the shield barrier has been placed. Keep piked forward at all times and don't let them reach the shields! Their own shields are going to make them slower and less maneuverable than last battle. Archers!" he shouted, immediately gaining their attention. "Once the enemy abandons their shields or we manage to break them, we'll fall back. In that moment you'll begin shooting at will. Wait until we are clear from the battlefield! Don't fire unless there's not a single equestrian down there!" He received nods around and then proceeded to unsheath his sword.

"We are going to stop them!" he shouted. "For Equestria!" he exclaimed. "Charge!"

The charge seemed to not affect the enemy. The changelings kept moving on their own slow pace. That's when Davis noticed the short pikes in front of each groups of changelings. Fear covered his eyes as he realized that the ponies wouldn't manage to hit the enemy before having a couple of his own impaled.

"Stop the charge! Stop the charge! Do not engage the enemy up front, repeat: DO NOT ENGAGE THE ENEMY UP FRONT!" He hoped his troops heard him and sighed once his saw captains repeating his command. He ran with the troops up until hitting the enemy. The ponies stopped right in front of them. The changelings began spitting curses at the ponies, infuriating Davis. They dared shout curses from behind their pikes and shields!

"Prepare pikes! Shields in between pikes! Swords behind, wait for enemy pikes to be eliminated and then engage!"

He watched as his own troops made small phalanx formations, with shields protecting like a barrier and spikes sticking out like thorns. The changelings suddenly seemed unsure of what to do, since the ponies seemed to be protected and impossible to be attacked. Davis was beginning to form a smile up until he heard a shout not far off within the enemy utter a command.

"Don't stop! Use your own pikes to push theirs and open spaces inside their formations!" Davis cursed.

"Tighten up formations! Hold your pikes steady!" he shouted desperately. the soldiers didn't acknowledged and Davis hoped they had heard him. He saw the enemy formations begin to move forward back again. He prayed that they wouldn't be able to break his own formations. The sound of battle seemed to die down as the first pikes collapsed against the enemy's. He watched in surprise as the first enemy changelings jumped over his own shields and began to fight the sword ponies. Formations, on both sides, broke completely. The good part was that the enemies abandoned their shields. The bad one that they were not engaged completely in a fight he knew they couldn't win. A charge was his own option and chance of winning. The phalanx formations their only chance of holding them off. Straight hoof to hoof combat wasn't in any way to their advantage. He saw as a pony was killed beside him. He immediately killed that changelings responsible and then sheathed his sword. He took his rifle out and began to shoot rapidly. As much as he wanted to see that battle won, it wasn't going to be unless he managed to change how it was going at that moment.

He didn't wasted any more time to fight them. "Fall back! Fall back to the hill and the sixth position! We can't hold 'em off here!" he shouted. He was turning around when three rather large changelings landed in front of him. He strapped his rifle on his back rapidly since it was too long for close combat and rapidly took out his gun, killing two of the with shots in the head. He was shooting once more when he was kicked in the back by another changeling. He pulled out his sword and managed to stop a horn from impaling him. he killed the changelings that had kicked him and was trying to stand up when he received another kick from the large changeling. He moved his sword blindly and managed to hit the changeling in the eye. The bug screeched in agony as blood began to drip from his face. Davis used that chance to hit him twice, killing the bug rapidly. He looked around and noticed his troops were retreating as he had ordered. He looked back once more and then up. Golden Flame was supposed to give them air assistance...

He curse once he saw the airborne fight. Though pegasi were winning up there, it was obvious that in any minuted they would be overrun. Davis spotted a pegasi flying low.

"You! Go tell captain Golden Flame to retreat to the sixth position and provide air backup to the land troops!" the pegasi nodded and flew off. Davis began to run back again with his own ponies. He managed to reach shouting distance to the top of the hill and spotted the archery captain.

"Captain! Shoot at the enemy!" The captain heard and began to shoot at changelings that were not undercover of their shields and in an open place with no ponies around them. His order was greeted by various shouts from changelings behind him. Luckily, the archers were managing to slow down the enemy. Not enough to stop them, but enough to slow them down and give the equestrians time to run up the hill.

"Captain," Davis said once he had reached the top. "Gather everything and leave. We are running to the sixth position." the archer captain nodded.

"Alright ponies! Pack up and run to the sixth position! Don't waste time, move it!"

The changelings had noticed the equestrians running away, and seemed to run faster behind them. Many took flight, but the pegasi up on the air were still winning. Davis spotted the unicorn units captain.

He ran to him. "Make your ponies make a shield and stop the changelings."

The captain seemed slightly surprised by that. "Bit sir... A shield of that magnitude is gonna be very hard and will leave our unicorns exhausted! We can't afford that!"

Davis shook his head. "Do that, pegasi will be ready to get your ponies away once the rest of the army is safe away. You'll get plenty of cover from the pegasi, don't worry."

The captain nodded and looked back at his own units, which he had ordered into lines for the retreat. "Alright ponies! Prepare to make a combined shield! On my mark!" The captain said. "Make lines!" Unicorn ponies made a long line and prepared their horns. It was almost sixty unicorns in a straight line, covering most of the hill. "Light spell!" Sixty horn began to glow. "Cast!" A faint glow began encasing the front of the hill, and soon it began to glow more and more. Davis watched amazed as the wall of pure, raw magic began to cover the front of the hill.

He was still staring when Golden Flame snapped him back to reality.

"Sir, you gotta get moving!" Davis looked up at his friend and nodded, running to position six. Golden Flame had a squad prepared to take the unicorns out of there as soon as the chiles faltered. Hopefully that'd be enough to give time for the equestrians to reach the sixth position.

He was halfway to the next position when he noticed that the shield had begun to flicker and, seconds after, it died. He felt slightly worried at the unicorns, but was relieved once he saw the pegasi lifting in the sky carrying the unicorn units. He saw as the mass of changelings reached the top of the hill, giving him a sense of anger.

He had been forced to retreat...

*** *** ***

"Sir, the enemy is fortifying position seven," an exhausted scout reported to Davis. The American General nodded.

"Thank you soldier. Go and have a rest, you deserve it." The scout saluted, a face of relief on his face after hearing the word 'rest'. Davis smiled weakly as the Pegasus went away.

Davis was with Golden Flame and Hightip. The old unicorn officer was looking intently at Davis, so was the pegasus captain. The air around was pretty clear, suggesting concern and worry at their current situation, and Savis could see clearly why.

The troops were tired and worn. The run had cost them a lot of their strenght, and it was showing. The unicorns were barely maintaining themselves awake die to the large of amount if magic they had used to make the shield, and the pegasi were just as worn, mainly because of fighting on their own against hundreds of enemies in an airborne fight.

Davis had his small personal map tucked to his arm. He had thought a couple of times taking it out, but he wasn't sure if his plans were going to be successful, at least he wasn't so certain.

Hightip coughed, getting everybody's (or everypony's) attention. He looked around the two.

"What now?"

Davis chuckled and began to laugh. Nervousness filled his laugher, and it even sounded fake. The American seemed like a madman at that moment.

He finally stopped and looked at the captain. He had tears on his eyes from laughing. "What now?" he said chuckling. "That's the same damn question I've been asking myself since we fell back and allowed the enemy to gain the position." He turned serious. "What, is everybody presents asking themselves, now?" He cleaned some sweat on his brow with his arm and sat on the dirt. He turned to the two. "Well, here is what we're gonna do." He said. Venom filled his voice. "We'll show those damn bastards what it feels to get their asses kicked!" he exclaimed. Whereas Hightip and Golden Flame were shocked by his choice of words, they did not show it. Davis wasn't sure if it was because they no longer cared or simply they were too tired to react.

Golden Flame shifted position uncomfortably. "What do you suggest we do?"

Davis opened the map and placed it gently on the dirt. He placed his hand over the fourth position.

"This position, number six, is useless," he began. "Yes, it gives us the advantage of height, but you see how well that worked on position seven..." Ears around went down around Davis. It was clear the retreat was stabbed deep within their very souls. Their defeat hours ago had harmed the pony army, and gravely.

Davis continued. "I suggest going all the way down to position four..." he said, pointing at the map. The hill which had position four on top was marked with a bigger X than the other positions. "It has a couple of advantages; the enemy will have a very hard time getting to the top due to a small gorge that covers a great part of the front side, which is facing the changelings, and the left side is completely protected by the gorge. That only leaves little less than half of the front side, the right and the rear unprotected by nature. Even then there are many rocks that will make it harder for the enemies to advance." Both Golden Flame and Hightip were listening intently, their ears showing obvious interest. Davis was pretty surprised by how much a pony's ears gave up how its owner was doing. That made it easier to know how his troops were, though. A great advantage.

Golden Flame looked at it. "We already have a couple of barricades around that position. We've prepared it very well, at least compared to the other six positions." He looked at Davis. "I think we should do that, sir. Go there and take a stand. Try to stop them." Hightip nodded in agreement.

"I agree sir," the old unicorn said. "If there is a chance of us winning its there."

Davis nodded slowly. He sighed. "There is just one problem with it." The two ponies looked up from the map and to Davis.

"What?" both asked at the same time. Davis would have smiled at how the two had sounded if it wasn't on the situation he was in.

"We can be trapped easily by the enemy. They just need to block all the space not covered by the gorge and we can say goodbye to retreating."

Golden Flame and Hightip sighed.

"Then what do we do?" Golden asked. Davis stood up and looked around. The troops were tired and needed to rest. He knew they would not last much if they stayed at position six. Five was just as vulnerable. He looked down.

"We'll go to position four and strengthen ourselves on top of the hill. I have plans that will make it very hard to enter, but we'll need to make sure the changelings don't just pass us by and do as if we are not there…”

“They won't,” Golden Fire said. Davis looked at him.

“Why do you say that?”

Golden Flame looked at him curiously. “Isn't it obvious? They definitely got somepony that knows his job commanding this. They won`t advance beyond our territory when they still have an enemy army behind them. If they ignore us and pass, that'll make them vulnerable from back attacks, and once we have more soldiers out of training we can simply crush them like a sandwich.”

Davis nodded, scratching his chin in thought. He had found that to help him concentrate.

“What you say is true…” he began. “So it`s decided. We move to position four. I`ll get going and begin to plan the defense. Hightip, help organize the troops and lead them there as fast as you can. Golden Flame…” Davis said, “you mount a groups of scouts and make sure what the enemy is doing. If they begin to advance begin guerrilla attacks…” The pegasus looked confused. Davis sighed. “You don't know what guerrilla attacks are?” The pegasus shook his head. “They are lightning attacks, not literally. You make small attacks at the enemy's flanks or back. Disorganize them, but don't lose any soldiers. You don't need to cause great casualties, just give them problems as they move. Slow them down.” Golden Flame nodded. “We'll only use pegasi on that, since you are the ones that can escape faster than the others.” Davis smiled. “We'll give them a hell of a battle, my friends.” The two ponies nodded enthusiastically.

“I'm on it, sir!” Hightip said immediately saluting and proceeding to walk off. Golden Flame saluted as well, just that slightly slower than Hightip.

“Same here, Davis.” The pegasus began to walk away.

“Golden Flame…” Davis said. The captain turned and looked at him. “Be careful out there. Don`t do anything unnecessary nor heroic, you understand? I don't want this to end up in a massacre.” Golden Flame nodded, smiling.

“Don`t worry, sir,” he said. “Those bugs won't know what even hit `em…”

With those last words, Golden Flame left. Davis saw as he went over to the pegasi units and began to organize them. He didn't waste much time watching them, though. He immediately went to get a small team of the combined units and then proceeded to go towards position four.

He hoped his plans would work, because if they didn't, Equestria was going to pay for his defeat...