• Published 2nd Apr 2014
  • 4,358 Views, 116 Comments

Why Am I A Filly? - Sleepy Panda



A human boy awakens in Equestria as a filly and is forced to keep his human nature secret from other ponies.

  • ...
32
 116
 4,358

Muffins

When the other foals come in from recess, they find me sitting on the floor staring blankly into space. I made Fluttershy mad. I made Fluttershy mad. The thought repeats in my head, rendering me unable to do anything but numbly move about. I made Fluttershy mad. Eventually, Cheerilee gives up and contacts my new guardian to pick me up from school early. I can't remember actually going there, but after I get over the initial shock over what happened dissipates, my head clears and I find myself on a couch in someone's living room. There's a mare sitting across from me on a another couch. I recognize her almost immediately.

How could I not? She's the best background pony in the entire show.

"Oh, hi Ms. Doo," I say politely. Ditzy Doo makes a face.

"Ugh, I hate that name. Just call me Derpy, it's a nickname."

"Okay," I reply. It is a bit unnerving how casual she acts around me. She is slouched on the couch with her legs on a glass coffee table. From my experience, adults usually don't talk to younger kids. Rather, they talk at them. Derpy was treating me as if I was an equal. Which I totally am, by the way. "So... I guess your my new... adoptive parent? Guardian? Babysitter?"

"Yep! It was a bit strange having the princess visit me in my dreams though. She probably thinks I'm weird though. I mean, I'm pretty sure she saw the changeling hauling a giant muffin across the swamp. Oh geez, I hope she doesn't ban me from eating muffins. That would be a nightmare. Speaking of muffins, do you want to have one? I just made a batch of them with daisy petals baked into them. It's a new recipe I found."

Daisy petals? I'm not so sure I want to eat those. I ate a flower once on a dare, and it didn't taste too good. On the other hand, I haven't eaten anything all day and I'm a pony so these should be completely edible. I wonder if being a pony means that things taste differently for me.

"No thanks, I'm not hungry," I lie, but my growling stomach betrays me.

Derpy smiles. "Of course you're hungry."

"No, not really. I ate lunch already."

"No you didn't."

"Um yeah, I did."

"They don't serve lunch at the school," Derpy pointed out. I didn't know how to argue against that, so I just sighed in defeat. "C'mon kiddo, let's get you some muffins. I have different types to choose from; you don't have to eat the new experimental ones I made."

Oh, I guess that's okay. As long as her 'other options' aren't grass flavored muffins or other horsey things, I think I can eat some of those.

I get up off of the couch and follow Derpy into the kitchen. It's a small kitchen, but easily one of the larger rooms in the house. I don't think I mentioned this before, but the house isn't exactly a mansion. Still, the oven takes up half of the kitchen. Then again, the oven is really big. You can probably bake five trays of muffins at once in it.

"So, what type of muffins do you have?" I ask. Please don't be grass muffins, or hay muffins, or anything dreadful...

"I have chocolate chip, pumpkin, oatmeal raisin, cinnamon, blueberry, and strawberry. I might have lemon poppy seed, but I'm not sure. They disappear so fast. I also have the daisy ones, but you expressed disinterest in them, so I doubt you'll be eating them."

"I'll just have chocolate chip," I say. I'm pretty sure it's not humanly possible - er, pony-ly possible - to mess up chocolate chip muffins.

Derpy gives me a plate with a muffin on it. Wait no, a whole pile of muffins. That's a bit much for me, but I'm not complaining. I love chocolate.

Derpy excuses herself to do something and leaves me alone in the room with my tower of muffins.

"I'll be gone for while, so just sit tight and try not to blow anything up."

I unsteadily hobble on three legs over to a table, my plate balanced dangerously on one hoof, teetering back and fourth and threatening to fall onto the ground. I wonder how Derpy would react if I shattered her plate and ruined her muffins. Probably not well.

Suddenly, I see a flash of movement out of the corner of my eye and am momentarily distracted.

As I start to turn my head towards the unexpected movement, the plate of muffins starts tilting off to the side. The muffin on the top of the muffin tower rolls off the plate and hits one of my legs, snapping my attention back to my plate. In a desperate attempt to save my muffins, I throw both myself and the plate at the table, hoping that at least the latter will make it there unharmed.

Needless to say, that's probably one of the dumbest ideas I've ever had, and that's really saying something considering how many dumb things I've done in my life.

I crash headfirst into one of the table legs and the muffins fly out of sight. Ow, that did NOT feel good. At all. I really, really hope that Derpy has some ibuprofen, because I am definitely going to need it later. Actually, I could really use some now.

I lie there with my eyes closed for what must've been over an hour (seriously, where did that mare go?!) before deciding to open my eyes and get up. NOPE CLOSING MY EYES OW BRIGHT.

I stand up and immediately fall down again. Ugh, I'm so dizzy. I close my eyes again against the bright light and use the table legs to pull myself up into a chair. I peek open an eye and manage to see that there is a single muffin lying upside-down on the table before the light hurts too much and I have to close my eyes. I start to eat it, but I have to stop when I start throwing up. It's a shame, really; the muffin is delicious. I should try baking sometime. I wonder if Derpy would give me lessons? Then I could bake things and impress my mom. Then she'd buy me stuff. I like muffins. I'm tired. Sleep sounds like a really good idea right now.

I peek an eye open and see the half eaten muffin lying on the table. "Hey mom, can I eat the rest of this?" I ask. Wait, what am I doing? My mom never bakes. Besides, I'm in Equestria. No, that makes no sense. I'm at home, and I must've been the one who made muffins. I don't feel like making more though, so I'm just going to take a nap.

Author's Note:

This chapter is so embarrassingly short, but I have everyone right where I want them to be.

Pre-read by AskShadowSoarin

Proofread by PinkiePieFox