• Published 20th Mar 2014
  • 6,459 Views, 562 Comments

What Changes May Come - Bluegrass Brooke



Cheese Sandwich returns to Ponyvillle and discovers his love for Pinkie. To his surprise, she loves him back! Will he and Pinkie be willing to accept the changes and challenges that follow?

  • ...
11
 562
 6,459

Interlude

Author's Note:

So here's the next installment. I didn't want to leave you guys hanging after the last chapter. We get to look into Cheese's colthood a bit more in this one. In case you're going "what?" when you get there, I gave Cheese a different name in his colthood, as his parents certainly would not have named him Cheese Sandwich. Also, I went ahead and made the twins able to do some simple words. It seems weird to leave them speechless when so much time is passing. Though they only know phrases at the moment. Anywho, I hope you like this one. Comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cheese nearly forgot where he was when he woke up. Early morning sunlight filtered into the living room and danced off of the decorations and photographs lining the mantelpiece. Reading the clock, he discovered it was half past six. He turned over, trying to fall back asleep, when he heard the twins crying next door. Well, guess they set the schedule around here.

Trotting into the next room, he found the twins quite ready to get on with their day. Though he did his best to smile and act as goofy as always, they still seemed upset. With a sigh, he started to get them ready. After an hour's struggle, they were changed, fed, and ready for the day. Cheese let them lose in the living room while he watched their antics. "Pumpkin cake, put that down."

The tiny filly was attempting to lift Pound Cake's toy away from him with her magic. He trotted over to the toy, handing it back to Pound Cake. Pumpkin decided that wasn't fair and bit his tail in retaliation. "Ouch. Pumpkin!" He picked her up and set her away from his tail, handing her a rubber ducky. "Play with that instead."

The morning wore on in much the same way, Cheese diverting the attention of the twins whenever their nastier habits started to emerge. Finally, he found some games they seemed to like, whilst keeping them from destroying the house. He was so involved in acting out a silly story for the foal's enjoyment, that he failed to notice Pinkie Pie walk in.

Pinkie just stared in amazement to see both twins happy and the living room fairly intact. She watched as Pound Cake jumped on Cheese's belly, laughing with delight. I can't even get them to laugh so hard. "Morning Cheesie."

Cheese stopped rolling around the carpet to see Pinkie staring up at him. He found his face going red. "Morning Pinkie." He flipped upright, beaming broadly at the mare. "We're just acting out the story of the brave knight. Pound Cake was about to scare off the dragon and save the princess." He gestured to the little pegasus, wearing a bib Cheese had drawn armor on, and the unicorn draped in a pink towel. "He was winning."

Pinkie burst out laughing. "You look so silly!"

Cheese laughed too. She's got a point. He was wearing a green sock on his head, and had a set of cardboard wings strapped to his back. "Well, you can't have serious fun, without getting seriously dressed up."

Pinkie just snorted and joined the group on the carpet. "All right, but I want to be the bard."

"Bah-red?" Pound Cake cocked his head, confused at the word.

"That's right." Pinkie nuzzled the foals playfully. "I've got to sing a song of your heroic deeds." She grabbed a harmonica from the mantelpiece, winking at Cheese. "For a harmonica emergency." The four ponies played together for the next hour, laughing and singing without a care in the world. It was nearly lunchtime when Pinkie approached Cheese about the Cakes. "Say, Cheesie?"

"Uh huh." He watched the pair out of the corner of his eye, making certain they were not hurting themselves.

"Did you hear anything about the Cakes? Did Twilight come back?" Pinkie looked anxiously at the clock, then out the window at the sunny day.

"No, I just got up and took care of the twins. I haven't had time to ask anypony." He turned to see Pinkie's worried expression, and gently stroked her mane. "It'll be okay Pinkie. I think in this case, no news is good news. They're probably on their way back right now."

"But what if they aren't?" Pinkie glanced at the twins, mind racing. "Should I write to their grandparents? Their aunt and uncle?"

Cheese placed a hoof to his head, considering. "Let's wait until we hear from Twilight. She'll know what to do, being a princess and all." He sighed, wishing there was a better answer himself. "It's only been a day, for all we know they'll be home any minute. Best not to worry the relatives until we know ourselves."

"Okay." Pinkie was feeling queasy, wishing an answer would fall from the sky. "It's just so frustrating not being able to do anything."

Cheese nuzzled her on the cheek. "I know, dear. I know."

Lunch was an amusing affair to say the least. Pumpkin discovered to her delight that she could throw her mushy peas with magic. Unfortunately for Pinkie, she had excellent aim. Cheese was trying to decide whether to help the distraught mare, or laugh at how silly she looked. He settled for a combination of the two.

By the time they put the twins up for their afternoon nap, Pinkie was looking particularly sour. Her mane was splattered with peas and her expression was a touch annoyed. As they left the nursery, Cheese gestured to the bathroom. "Why don't you get cleaned up? I'll watch them for a while."

Pinkie glanced nervously from the clock to the nursery. "Okey dokey then. I'll be out in a few minutes. Don't fall asleep."

Cheese rolled his eyes. Not much chance of that now is there? He watched the mare flounce off, and turned his attention to the room. From the décor, it was obvious the Cakes loved baking. The walls were plastered with baking awards, spoons, and cupcake patterned curtains. Glancing at the bookshelf, he noted a host of recipe books, but that remotely held his interest. He scooped up the loose toys, and made the room presentable once more. It only took around five minutes. Accepting defeat, he slouched back onto the couch to wait for Pinkie.

Try as he may, he kept wondering about the Cakes. They'll be all right. Won't they? An icy chill filled his stomach. What if they aren't? What if they never come back? How will the twins feel? His sat there, heart racing as he listened to the clock tick ever on. It's not fair! They've got good parents who love them. The twins need their parents. And the Cakes need the twins. He lay his head on the cushions, listening to the hypnotic sound of the clock. Not like Mother. She never needed me.

Pinkie trotted out, steaming from the warm bath and went over to Cheese. To her surprise, he was fast asleep on the couch. "Silly." She leaned in, giving him a soft kiss and pulling a blanket over him. "Guess it's your turn to sleep." With a smile, she picked up a book, and settled herself in the rocking chair.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The early morning sun broke through the trees of the city park as the young colt trotted next to his mother. Her immaculately groomed white mane was done up in a delicate bun, and she wore the latest Manehattan fashion which complemented her golden coat magnificently. She frowned as the little sandy colt hopped up and down, setting his overlarge glasses askew. "Rory, enough."

"Yes Mother." He pinned his ears back submissively as they made their way down the sidewalk. It was the first time in months she had taken him to the park, and he was not about to make her upset. Still, he was so excited to get to play with her, that it took all his strength not to jump for joy. She turned him to the sandpit, and stopped.

"You're to stay here Rory. I'm going to get something for breakfast and be back." She eyed the mares and their foals around them, keenly aware of their stares. They were all jealous of her beauty, of that she was certain. As a famous unicorn model, she was use to the attention. She gave a flash of her sparkling white teeth and waved at them. She chuckled to herself at the excited whispers she caused. Sighing, she turned to the unimpressive colt before her. "You stay here until I get back. Won't be long."

Rory watched sadly as the mare trotted off, long white tail sparkling in the sunlight. "Okay." He started to play in the sand box. It was good fun, and before long he built a little city out of sand. Two other colts; an earth pony and a pegasus joined in his game. He laughed and played along with them, until their mothers called them away. "See ya!" We watched as they left, frowning.


Waiting's no fun. Rory lay under the shade of the tree watching a group of foals being pushed on the tire swing by their parents. He looked left then right, but there was no sign of his mother. So boring! It was not long before the sun stood in the center of the sky. His stomach growled, and he wished he had been given breakfast. But his mother had seemed in such a hurry to leave, and said there was no time for breakfast. That's just silly. There's always time for breakfast.

He stamped his hooves impatiently. I'm done waiting! I'm going to play. Mom won't mind if I do, she'll catch up. Cantering off, he joined a group of younger foals playing on the jungle gym. For the rest of the day, he played as long as he wanted, and nopony was there to scold him for being too excited. I don't need her, I've got all the other foals to play with.

Before he wanted it to, the sun started to set over the park. He watched as one by one, his playmates left for home until he was all alone. While he was playing, he had not realized how hungry he was. Now, his stomach ached, and all he wanted was a bit of warm food. Maybe I should find Mom. I hope she's not mad.

He walked over to the sand box, and looked around. Trotting all around the area, he could not find her anywhere. "Mom?" He set off at a frantic gallop, looking all over for the mare. Though he wanted to run forever, he was growing tired. With a great crash, he tripped over some lose rocks and cut his knees. "Ouch."

Tears began to stream down his muzzle, and he ran harder than ever. His heart was racing, but he had to find her. He tripped again, this time cutting his front hoof. Sobbing, he walked over to the slide and lay down underneath. The sky was getting dark, and he was getting scared.

"Rory?" He looked up to see a peach colored pegasus mare, around the age of his own mother. She smiled kindly at him, but he shrunk back shaking. Reaching out a hoof, she tried to motion him closer. "Rory dear, what are you doing out here? And all by yourself."

"Looking for Mom." He looked into the mare's light blue eyes.

"Come on out Rory. It's not good for you to be out here by yourself. Your parents must be worried sick." She had a set of wind chimes as her cutie mark, and if any mare deserved a mark it was her. The mare's quiet voice tinkled in the air, as light and cheery as the best wind chimes Rory had ever heard. He remembered that voice, and loved it. She was Sky Belle's mother, and would always say good morning when she dropped her off at day care. Unlike his mother, she was always smiling.

He stepped out and stood by her. "Okay."

"Good." She stroked his curly brown mane with her hoof. "Let's get you home. Hopefully your father should be back by now. I just hope they aren't panicking."

He trotted next to the pegasus, despite his knees and hooves hurting. Something good had to come from a mare as soft spoken as her. Looking him over, she noticed the filthy cut on his knees. "Hmmm. Why don't we clean you up first?"

After a quick rinse off in the water fountain, she led him into the nearby apartment complex. They took the elevator up to the top where he lived. Rory heard the nice mare mumbling something under her breath, but he could not make out the words.

"Here we are." She smiled as they reached his front door and knocked. "Storm Scribe? I've found Rory. He's a little shaken up, but okay. Hello?"

"Do cease that incessant knocking." The door opened to reveal a palomino unicorn. She was wearing a particularly silky evening dress, mane done up in an elaborate style, and sporting two diamond earrings. She huffed, scowling at the pegasus.

"Starlight?" The mare gaped at the unicorn, at a loss for words. "I thought you'd be out looking for Rory."

Rory beamed at the mare, trotting over to give her leg a big hug. Starlight picked up her hoof fast, giving a disgusted look at the colt. She turned her muzzle up and snorted. "Look for him? Why bother? He's obviously too stupid to listen to simple instructions."

Rory stepped back, hanging his head low. I made her mad again. "Sorry Mother."

"But, Starlight, you can't expect a five year old to wait patiently. Why, when Sky was his age-"

"I don't want to hear it from you Chime!" Starlight swished her tail angrily, face contorted with anger. "I'm not going to stand here and be lectured to by some washed up musician."

"Starlight, I'm just saying to consider Rory's feelings. He was scared, the only logical thing he could think of was to go look for you." She stared pleadingly into the other mare's amber eyes.

Starlight stomped her hoof hard, sending an echo down the hallway. "That's quite enough. Just because I don't let my child walk all over me like you do. You think you have the right to lecture me on child care?" She leaned in close, eyes glinting maliciously. "Or should I have a conversation with Storm about your husband's precarious position in the company?"

That had done it sure enough. The peach pegasus backed away slowly, ears lying flat. "No. Sorry Starlight, it won't happen again."

"Good." With a decided huff, she turned to the colt and pointed inside.

Rory trotted into the apartment, and stared at the scene before him. Mom's planning another party. The immaculate room was even cleaner than normal, and trays of appetizers and fizzy drinks sat on the bar waiting to be served. Rory glanced up at the mare, stomach growling. He started to drool when she set out a tray of sandwiches on the coffee table. Trotting up to her, "Say Mom, can I have a sandwich?" Ooops. Rory realized his mistake immediately, and began to cringe. "Sorry. Mother may I have a sandwich?"

She glowered down at the colt. "You really must be stupid, to think I'd reward you after you blatantly disobeyed me today. No you may not. Go to your room, I don't want to see your face the rest of the night."

"Yes Mother." He walked slowly out of the room and down the dark hall. Throwing himself on the bed, he moaned. He was so hungry it hurt, and he blew his only chance at getting food. I really am stupid, aren't I?

"Cheesie? Cheesie?"

"It's not my fault!" He awoke and started to see a Pink mare looking into his eyes. "Gahh! Pinkie?"

Pinkie slinked backwards, staring with bewilderment at the stallion. What's his problem? He had been twitching in his sleep, so she had woken him up. And then…. "What'da mean it's not your fault?"

Cheese flushed crimson. Stupid memories, messing with my head. And why that one? Geeze, that was a long time ago. He clasped a hoof to his forehead, trying to orient himself. After a few moments, he looked at the concerned mare. "Sorry, Pinkie. I was –" He gulped. "-lost in my memories."

"Hmmm." Pinkie stared into Cheese's eyes. He looked rather nervous, and she was becoming worried herself. "Was it another of those bad ones?"

He lowered his head, nodding. "Yeah."

Pinkie trotted forward and gave him a big hug, nuzzling him gently. "It's okay, Cheesie. I'm here."

He smiled back at the mare, holding her tighter. "Sorry about shouting at you like that. I say some pretty weird stuff when I'm half awake. Don't I?"

"You sure do." She kissed him on the muzzle and smiled sweetly. "You want to talk about it?"

How does she know? "Sure, Pinkie, if you feel up to it."

"Mm hmm." She snuggled closer to the stallion, resting her head on his back. "I can listen well too you know."

He chuckled quietly, then took a deep breath. Guess it's better to talk about it. He recounted the distant memory as best he could. Somehow, with each painful thought, a part of him felt lighter than before. After he had finished, they lay in silence, listening to the clock tic. He turned to the mare, who had started to shake. "Sorry. I shouldn't have told you that."

"No…It's okay Cheesie. Don't apologize." She reached over, pressing her muzzle to his. "I want to share everything with you; good or bad." With a smile, she began to hum a cheery song he had never heard before. "Stay on the sunny side, always on the sunny side, stay on the sunny side of life."

Cheese chuckled. "Where did you learn that from?"

"My Grandma." Pinkie looked a little sad then. "She's gone now."

"Oh." Cheese nudged the mare gently. "Can you teach me the words?"

"Of course!" Together they sang the happy song, and they both felt their cares fly away. They were having so much fun, they forgot where they were. Pinkie started when she heard the twins crying in the next room. "Ooops. We forgot the twins."

"I think that would be difficult." Cheese hopped to his hooves, shaking himself off. "Back to work, eh?"

"Yeah." Pinkie and Cheese trotted into the nursery, and tended to the foals. The rest of the day went by much the same as the beginning, only the pair seemed more energetic after their nap.

Before long, Pinkie and Cheese discovered an easy and less exhausting way to keep the foals entertained. All they had to do was play music for them. Pinkie had pulled out her old accordion for Cheese to play and she used her "one pony band" as she called it. The twins giggled and clapped their hooves to the sound of the music. After playing for a good hour and a half, Cheese rested the accordion on the carpet and flopped down. "I surrender Pinkie. I can't play anymore."

Pinkie nodded and scooped the instruments up. "You're right there! I'll put them up while I check on Gummy." She trotted back a few minutes later, carrying a basket full of party supplies in her mouth and Gummy clamped onto her tail. "Thought we could do some decorating while we wait. Sound good?"

"Yeah." The rest of the afternoon flew by as they alternated between caring for the foals and finishing the decorations. After a quick dinner, they settled themselves on the carpet. Pinkie kept eying the clock every few minutes and giving nervous glances at Cheese. He decided to distract her a bit. "Say Pinkie, you want to act out a story for the twins again?"

"Huh? Sure." She bounced over to him, and together they reenacted the tale of the frog prince (Gummy was the frog). The twins giggled with delight, but shortly afterwards they went back to playing with their toys.

Cheese lay next to Pinkie, and they finished up the last of the decorations. He was not certain what to do in the situation, and so far nopony had come by the house with news. "Say Pinkie, you think we ought to ask Spike if he can send a letter to Twilight?"

"Yeah. Maybe that'd be best." She pulled out a piece of paper and began to scribble. Tears streamed down her muzzle, and she stopped after the first line.

"What's wrong Pinkie?" Cheese put a hoof on her back, rubbing gently. "It's just a letter."

"I know, it's just." Tears fell fast on the paper in front of her. "I don't want the twins to feel like you did, all alone and scared."

"Oh, Pinkie. They're never going to feel that way. Not with the friends and family they've got." He held her in a tight hug, and let her cry herself out over his shoulder. The twins had stopped playing, and crawled over to Pinkie.

"Pinkie her-wert?" Pumpkin Cake nudged the distraught mare with a hoof.

"She's fine Pumpkin, just sad. Come here." He reached over, including the twins in their group hug.

After a time, Pinkie stopped crying and looked up. "Sorry guys. Guess I'm just not feeling very cheery today."

Cheese chuckled, and nuzzled her on the cheek. "You don't have to apologize."

Suddenly, a loud sound brought all of them to attention. It was the unmistakable sound of side door opening. There was the clatter of hooves, and then a loud voice from downstairs. "Pinkie Pie? Are you there?"

Pinkie leapt to her hooves as though she'd been shot by lighting. "We're upstairs Mrs. Cake!"

Cheese listened as two sets of hooves clattered up the stairs. Panting before them stood Mr. and Mrs. Cake, safe and sound. They galloped over to the twins, showering them with hugs and kisses. Mrs. Cake was actually crying. "Oh my babies. Mama was so worried."

Cheese stood, walking over to Pinkie, tears in his own eyes too. "They're safe. I'm so glad." All Pinkie could do was nod, leaning against Cheese's side.

After their warm greeting of their children, the couple turned to Cheese and Pinkie. Mrs. Cake reached over and gave Pinkie a big hug. "Thank you for looking out for them dear."

Pinkie hugged the older mare back just as tight. "Of course Mrs. Cake. We were so worried about you. I'm so happy you're okay."

Mr. Cake held out a hoof to Cheese. "Thanks for your help. Twilight told us you were watching them with Pinkie."

Cheese flushed, taking the hoof. "Not a problem. We had fun, though we were really worried about you both."

"Yeah. It was a mess." Mr. Cake scooped up his son, planting a kiss on the pegasus' forehead. "The train derailed just as it was pulling into a station. No pony was hurt, but a section of the track got warped, so we were stranded there until it could be fixed."

"Oh, that's a relief. Twilight said something about a hospital." Cheese smiled at the foal who was positively brimming with glee.

"Yes, it was terrible." Mrs. Cake joined in the conversation. "They said we all had to go and get checked out, even though we were just fine. Silly really."

Cheese nodded. "I'm glad it all worked out. Eh, Pinkie?"

"Yup a doodles, Cheesie." Pinkie's mane was at its poufiest, and a broad smile broke across her face.

Cheese turned to the stairs. "Guess I'd better head home. I've got a lot of work to catch up on tomorrow."

Pinkie trotted to join him. "I'll walk you there."

He chuckled, ruffling the mare's mane. "All right. See you later, Mr. Cake, Mrs. Cake!"

It felt good to be walking in the cool evening air beside his favorite mare in the world. The moonlight always made Ponyville shimmer, and he could not help but enjoy the peaceful quiet. As they walked, Pinkie hummed that tune again. "You really like that one, don't you?"

"Yup. It's one of my favorites." Pinkie nudged him playfully as she walked. "Plus, we really do have a reason to stay on the sunny side Cheesie. The Cakes are safe, the twins are happy, and we got to spend an entire day together without worrying about work."

"You're right. It was pretty fun, and we got to be together the whole time." He started to prance, his legs feeling light as air. "I'm just so happy right now!"

Before long, they reached the house. Cheese gave Pinkie a goodnight kiss, watching her walk back. He sighed in relief. It all worked out after all.