• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 727 Views, 58 Comments

Silver Spoon on the Moon, and Other Short Stories - ocalhoun



A series of character sketches in preparation for a large upcoming romance story. Published as a curiosity only.

  • ...
3
 58
 727

Apple Tarts With Lemon Hearts

Author's Note:

I have an uneventful conversation with Lemon Hearts

“Hi, Lemon Hearts,” I said, stepping in the door. The smell of something sour and sweet hit me as soon as I set foot inside.

She peeked around the corner from the kitchen. “Oh, you're early.” She glanced back. “If it wouldn't trouble you to, well...”

“Need a hand?” I smiled.

“Well, I'd say I needed a hoof, but never mind that.” She rushed back in, a blue wisp of her tail flipping around the corner as she turned. “Come on, then!”

I set my basket down on the old dinner table as I made my way to the other side of the modest house. “Okay, what is it?”

“You see those hot pads over there? Help me get the tray out of the oven – I've got to get the teapot.”

I nodded and grabbed the pads. The teapot was already starting to hiss, slowly growing into a whistle. “Why didn't you just use your magic to take the tray out? You wouldn't even need hot pads.”

“And ruin it? They won't be homestyle lemon snickerdoodles if they're touched by any magic.”

I shook my head as I opened the oven. “What's not homestyle about magic?”

The teapot carefully levitated in front of her, she shook her head. “It's an earth pony recipe.” She trotted off out of the kitchen as if that explained everything.

I followed her as quickly as I could, eager to get the hot pan out of my hands before the heat of it seeped through the thin pads. I set it down next to my basket on the table.

Lemon sniffed at my basket, the teapot seemingly forgotten, even as it hovered in her magic. “Oh, now what's this?”

I put my hands on my hips. “Well, I might have picked up some treats of my own to share. These are genuine Apple Family apple tarts.”

Her eyes went wide, but she poured a cup of tea for each of us calmly and quietly. “Please, then, do have a seat.”

I looked down at my proffered seat and winced. A brown-striped ball of fur was planted right in the center of it. Stepping back, I turned to take the other, but it was too late, she had already plopped down into it.

“Oh, is Messick there?”

I glanced over at her. “What kind of a name is Messick for a cat, anyway?”

At the sound of my voice, the cat lifted its head and looked at me. His eyes narrowed.

“Just shoo him out of the way. He'll be fine.” Lemon used her magic to lift her teacup and take a sip.

I grimaced. It would not be fine. My hands still bore scratches from the last time I tried to touch that cat.

The cat's lips lifted into a snarl.

“What are you waiting for? Go ahead.”

I breathed deeply, moving my hand close, but being sure to keep it far enough away. “Go on, shoo!” I waved my hand at him.

No response was forthcoming from the cat, except a slight raising of the fur on his back.

I dared to move my hand closer. Big mistake.

Like a brown lightning bolt, the cat's paw whipped out, his claws tearing into my hand.

I tore my hand away, but it was too late. Four fresh scratches across the back of my hand slowly turned red. I grit my teeth.

“Messick!” Lemon lifted the cat up and away from the chair in her magic. “I'm so sorry. He usually isn't like this.”

I held my injured hand with my other. “It's no problem,” I lied.

She smiled, bringing the cat over to her lap, where he purred and pawed at her legs.

I glared at the cat. It smirked back.

Still petting the cat, Lemon floated a plate over to me. “Go on, pick up a couple cookies before they get cold.”